• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

bjork

I finally sat down with this a little bit yesterday. I tried each character in the training area and decided that I like Symmetra the best. Did a quick play match and we had to defend a car or something, so I just laid little turrets out and wound up with play of the game. But in other maps, I was getting taken out in a hurry.

Do people main one character, or one character of each type, or is it just best to be proficient at all of them? I never expect to be top-tier in this, but I'd like to do more than run from the spawn point into someone's bullets and at least be of some help to the team.

Skii

Finished placement, 8 wins 2 losses, mained Zen. Mained Pharah in S2.
S2 peak was 3140, finished at 3000 due to decay.
S3 placed at 3114, so I guess decay SR loss doesn't count?

Yeah it seems like diamond or above players will get placed around their peak from last season. Whilst platinum or lower players will get placed lower than they did in S2 unless they have a good amount of placement wins.

I finally sat down with this a little bit yesterday. I tried each character in the training area and decided that I like Symmetra the best. Did a quick play match and we had to defend a car or something, so I just laid little turrets out and wound up with play of the game. But in other maps, I was getting taken out in a hurry.

Do people main one character, or one character of each type, or is it just best to be proficient at all of them? I never expect to be top-tier in this, but I'd like to do more than run from the spawn point into someone's bullets and at least be of some help to the team.

Symmetra at the moment is only really good for defence on the first point because of her ult. She's getting a big buff very soon so she will be more viable for all situations.

I'd suggest learning one DPS, tank and healer along with Symmetra. It's good to be fairly flexible.

DevilDog

Symmetra is quite underpowered this time around. She is getting reworked and her new kit is now in a beta version on the PC client. I'd recommend playing her in places where your spawn is far away from the objective.

Main whatever you like playing. If you like Tracer or Genji, expect to get killed a bit in the beginning, it's all part of the learning process.
Supports like Mercy, Lucio and Zenyatta, or tanks like Reinhardt don't require much skill from you to be effective and helpful to the team. I'd recommend starting with them.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Ugh, even with damage buff soldier's spread still feels so shitty that I find it hard to use him.

Also that I'm a bad hitscan player, but also ugh.

AbaFadi

Banned
Out of curiosity, how much SR are you guys losing per match and gaining per win?

I'm only getting 10-15 SR per win and losing 30+ SR per loss. It's making climbing very hard. I went from 4262 to 4199 in just two losses, and if I want to climb back up I have to win around 6 games in a row.

So what was the point of the whole "you get more SR for your first few wins" thing again? It kind of fucked me over by pushing my rank too high I think.

Person plays dva.

Doesn't DM Soldier ult.

edit: another one.

I know she's buffed but by fucking god if you want to play her can you at least know how to play her.

Had tank situations twice in a row where people went DVa/roadhog and they both left the rest of the team unprotected.

I'm like a babby Overwatch player but I play a lot of D.va and the first thing I do when I hear an enemy ult I can DM is to try to intercept it, preferable by flying straight at the soldier in question with DM up.

Antiwhippy

Had our tanks leave the match.

I suddenly have gold elims as ana.

The SR system felt so bad for me that I only lost 8 sr.

Redmoon

This is how SR loss should be if people leave your team and you lose imo. You just loose a fraction of what you'd normally lost. Too bad it doesnt.

Antiwhippy

This is how SR loss should be if people leave your team and you lose imo. You just loose a fraction of what you'd normally lost. Too bad it doesnt.

Mmmmh, I can emphatise in a way, but I dunno, people are already exploiting the early leave system to get out of games, I can see this being abused as well.

Same match also had this genji that is so bad. I did not see him get a kill with dragonblade, which is why you play genji at all. I literally followed him to pocket him as he nano blades and he kept chasing this ana and couldn't kill her, and seeing that ana can block healing she killed him.

I should have killed the ana myself but I was in such disbelief at the scene unfolding before me.

Got him on my team again next match but luckily he played soldier. Nano visor takes way less skill than a nano blade.

Also I just can't stop watching this lmao. How are human hands capable of this? Carryhook is insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4georJwRXY#t=21m45s

Redmoon

Mmmmh, I can emphatise in a way, but I dunno, people are already exploiting the early leave system to get out of games, I can see this being abused as well.

Also I just can't stop watching this lmao. How are human hands capable of this? Carryhook is insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4georJwRXY#t=21m45s

Most abuse the early system, though I had to do it once during of of my placements cause furniture arrived earlier than it should've. Didn't wanna put my fellow gaffer and teammates in a 5v6 cause then I'd have been the cause of the loss, so I just left to cause a match cancel and took a loss for myself.

My first comp leave ever. Rip my purity BibleThump.

Edit: Those announcers sound so hyped and into the game even though I don't know what they are saying :eek:

Hopefully. Wouldnt be too bad

I had gold elims and objK as Ana going a full round on route 66.
We
Had a 76 and Junkrat with us on def.
No one had left as well :///

Edit:

Also cant say i havent been relived when someone leaves as soon as we get rolled in the beginning kknda like phew😥

Redmoon

It has begun....
qx84fjO.jpg

Alright, after a break lets jump into Season 3!

First match: We win round 1 of Hollywood, then a teammate leaves for whatever reason and we're left to slowly slog our way to inevitable defeat across four more rounds (have they changed how this works on capture/payload maps now?)

Okay, maybe I'll just drop into quick play...
- Backfill into a immediate defeat
- End up in match with people just waving and emoting.

Well friends, I think that's enough OW for one day.

---

Any changes to season 3 I should know about?
Also did the rewards for the previous season not work out like I expected, I finished diamond with around 3200 but I swear I got the platinum reward, I figured you earned what rank you had at the end.

Fancolors

How did this happen? Where you like, 800 SR last season maybe?

The only way this can happen is by dropping below 1 SR. Right?

Evermore was consistently number one past season. He most likely placed super high and on top of that was getting inflated gains.

Cue him dropping to last because he went beyond what the system allows.

rulerk1

Person plays dva.

Doesn't DM Soldier ult.

edit: another one.

I know she's buffed but by fucking god if you want to play her can you at least know how to play her.

Had tank situations twice in a row where people went DVa/roadhog and they both left the rest of the team unprotected.

Im seeing alot of DVA's DM Mei's ice spray and Zarya's pulse beam. Its cute but kind of sad since the Meis back off when that happens

Redmoon

How did this happen? Where you like, 800 SR last season maybe?

The only way this can happen is by dropping below 1 SR. Right?

He ended last season at 4774, probably placed around that for S3, and has an almost 90% winrate for S3. And you also get more points for winning this season versus S2 (at least at the start).

Most abuse the early system, though I had to do it once during of of my placements cause furniture arrived earlier than it should've. Didn't wanna put my fellow gaffer and teammates in a 5v6 cause then I'd have been the cause of the loss, so I just left to cause a match cancel and took a loss for myself.

My first comp leave ever. Rip my purity BibleThump.

Edit: Those announcers sound so hyped and into the game even though I don't know what they are saying :eek:

Appreciated that!

The game insta-queued and didn't give me a chance to cancel. Other than that, things have been going great. Let's try and finish up next week with all wins which would be 9-1/8-2. Apparently it isn't going to matter much, but still.

It has begun....

It's absurd that someone hit the cap but to be fair that guy was already hovering around 4600-4800 last season with an over 80% win rate and has like a 90% win rate this season. The flattening of the curve is going to push people out on both sides so I don't know how they would avoid that.

The people with inflated ranks in Master and GM aren't going to stay there if they really don't belong. The initial boosted games will run out and they will have to play to prevent rank decay. If they are truly bad they are going to lose and fall to their proper place. Some people will manage to maintain whether they belong or not but I guess no system is going to be perfect. I think the way they handled S3 is still better than S2 and will get better in the long run hopefully.

Redmoon

Appreciated that!

The game insta-queued and didn't give me a chance to cancel. Other than that, things have been going great. Let's try and finish up next week with all wins which would be 9-1/8-2. Apparently it isn't going to matter much, but still.

It's absurd that someone hit the cap but to be fair that guy was already hovering around 4600-4800 last season with an over 80% win rate and has like a 90% win rate this season. The flattening of the curve is going to push people out on both sides so I don't know how they would avoid that.

The people with inflated ranks in Master and GM aren't going to stay there if they really don't belong. The initial boosted games will run out and they will have to play to prevent rank decay. If they are truly bad they are going to lose and fall to their proper place. Some people will manage to maintain whether they belong or not but I guess no system is going to be perfect. I think the way they handled S3 is still better than S2 and will get better in the long run hopefully.

We can do it today if you want. I'm just casually playing on an alt right now getting it to 25 while watching streams, so might as well make better use of the time.

Curious to see if comp is better on the weekends for this season. S2 was like a no go under like diamond lol.

We can do it today if you want. I'm just casually playing on an alt right now getting it to 25 while watching streams, so might as well make better use of the time.

Curious to see if comp is better on the weekends for this season. S2 was like a no go under like diamond lol.

It's always bad on weekends but we can give it a try if you want. Placements don't have much impact this season anyway.

Edit: I'm on right now just doing QP for fun/warm up.

It has begun....

It's funny because with season 3 they were trying to address people being ranked too high but instead they've only targeted platinum and below. Anyone who finished on a high last season only need a few wins after their placements to go way beyond their previous season highs. Most people I've seen have already eclipsed their season highs last season within the first couple of days. Man how I wish I didn't have such a bad loss streak towards the end of last season lol, was near master for months and ended at 3100 and now I'm placed there lol, so many games this season I've played feel platinum esque' at this rank, I think this season diamond of last season is more like 3300+.

Redmoon

It's always bad on weekends but we can give it a try if you want. Placements don't have much impact this season anyway.

Apparently bnet is having issues and people are randomly dc'ing, ima just chill on my alt leveling it and wait till it passes.

Always something on the weekends LUL

cHinzo

Season 1: went 9-1 in placements, got placed in 3k.
Season 2: went 8-2 in placements, got placed just below last season in 2.9k.
Season 3: went 2-8 in placements (with really weird matchups, 5 unranked and a diamond vs 4 masters and a diamond in the other team), got placed in 3.2k?

Did they break something this season?

Skii

Season 1: went 9-1 in placements, got placed in 3k.
Season 2: went 8-2 in placements, got placed just below last season in 2.9k.
Season 3: went 2-8 in placements (with really weird matchups, 5 unranked and a diamond vs 4 masters and a diamond in the other team), got placed in 3.2k?

Did they break something this season?

Nah, after 2 seasons, they know roughly how good you are and the placements for you are just an easy way for decent diamond players to maybe get a cheeky placement into high diamond/low masters. Regardless of how your placements went, you was always going to get low diamond. If you went 10-0, maybe you would've got low master.

Btw, where did you finish last season?

cHinzo

Nah, after 2 seasons, they know roughly how good you are and the placements for you are just an easy way for decent diamond players to maybe get a cheeky placement into high diamond/low masters. Regardless of how your placements went, you was always going to get low diamond. If you went 10-0, maybe you would've got low master.

Btw, where did you finish last season?
Only 2.9k, decayed twice from 3.2k back to 3k for not playing for a while. Gonna try to push the 3.5k this season. That new arcade mode made me learn a lot of new heroes, so it's gonna be fun. :D

Kenai

I'm pretty new too. I'll give you the d/l as a fellow newb (been playing...1 month?).

If you are interested in just playing Quick Plays and Normals, I'd try to just learn 5 or so characters from 2-3 roles so you can switch to something as needed ut still have some fun. Healers like Lucio and Mercy are fairly easy to learn the basics of and are often wanted, same with Tankys like D. Va and Reinhart.. I also ended up enjoying most of the Defense heroes too (Mei is bae). if you get into the more competitive stuff people WILL get salty with you if you aren't using chat, keep that in mind (I am staying away from it).

What I haven't really learned yet it what Heroes work best on which map. As a general rule, io seems to me like turret-y champs like Symmetra work best on Defense (like defending the car, or a room/point) and suck on offense cause they don't get much time to lay stuff down. I like to pick champs with a decent long range weapon for offense because I'm still learning a lot, but the actual map you are on can matter a ton. For example, some maps have famous choke points (like this hallway/stair area in the Egypt-looking stage) where Symmetra can still be good regardless of offense/defense, especially following her buffs on the PTE.

Even within similar roles (as I am sure you can already tell) champs can play really differently from each other. Even tanky champs like D.Va can have decent range, or fragile champs like Tracer have short range. Just keep messing around, when you get a bit better you might warm up to a champ you didn't like much before. Happens a lot in games like this.

Blues1990

Got myself a new keyboard for $20 Canadian (down from $100) from the steelseries brand, and it's probably the most solid keyboard I ever got.

By the way, anyone want to play a few rounds of Competitive with me? I'm on the America server, PC, and my Battle.net username is Blues1990#1733.

Prelude.

Roadhog got 80%+ usage at the Merry Melee

https://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/overwatch.gamepedia.com/thumb/e/ef/Roadhog_VP_Thumbs_Up.png/600px-Roadhog_VP_Thumbs_Up.png?version=50673e522626045ccf373837a8e0991f[IMG][/QUOTE]
Truly the worst meta.

Antiwhippy

Well there are rumblings now about roadhog that are pretty similar to the rumblings against zarya, so roadhog mains shouldn't rejoice just yet.

I think the universal ult nerf is good, but it requires some more individual tinkering, not just for characters that greatly suffered from it, but also for characters that greatly benefitted from it ala roadhog.

Top Bottom