• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Skii

I've always said that characters that revolve around a one shot kill should have no place in this game. I know Widow and Hanzo won't be removed from the game but I wish they would do something with Roadhog's hook. It is stupid what can happen if someone is good with him. It's the same as Genji's dragon blade. When someone is good at it, it becomes devastating. And what makes it worse is how ridiculously glitchy and unfair it is.

Snagret

Wow, I've lost every single match since getting out of placements and dropped 800 points in rank. Literally freefalling. I think I'll stick with Quick Play from now on.....
I've always said that characters that revolve around a one shot kill should have no place in this game. I know Widow and Hanzo won't be removed from the game but I wish they would do something with Roadhog's hook. It is stupid what can happen if someone is good with him. It's the same as Genji's dragon blade. When someone is good at it, it becomes devastating. And what makes it worse is how ridiculously glitchy and unfair it is.
They're definitely the most frustrating deaths in the game. Especially considering that it feels like sometimes I can survive a Roadhog hook by using a character's escape ability, but other times the game doesn't let me make any action after he pulls me in but before he starts shooting. It's like the server is tossing a coin to decide what actions execute in what order.

ISOM

If you're going to complain about ultimates like Genji's being unfair then you might as well remove them all from the game, then it wouldn't even be Overwatch anymore. Now not being hyperbolic and going that far, Blizzard does need to look at Roadhog's hook. The hitbox is wayyyy too big as it is right now. I complained about this in season 1 and had a whole bunch of Roadhog mains come at me about that on this forum even, so goodluck with that I guess.

Skii

Wow, I've lost every single match since getting out of placements and dropped 800 points in rank. Literally freefalling. I think I'll stick with Quick Play from now on.....

They're definitely the most frustrating deaths in the game. Especially considering that it feels like sometimes I can survive a Roadhog hook by using a character's escape ability, but other times the game doesn't let me make any action after he pulls me in but before he starts shooting. It's like the server is tossing a coin to decide what actions execute in what order.

That's actually down to the Roadhog being bad. Roadhog should always get the first action in (I think).

If you're going to complain about ultimates like Genji's being unfair then you might as well remove them all from the game, then it wouldn't even be Overwatch anymore. Now not being hyperbolic and going that far, Blizzard does need to look at Roadhog's hook. The hitbox is wayyyy too big as it is right now. I complained about this in season 1 and had a whole bunch of Roadhog mains come at me about that on this forum even, so goodluck with that I guess.

I'm not complaining about ultimates. I'm saying that someone good with dragon blade could team wipe and carry with the 8 second timer. That's why they reduced it to 6 seconds. The same problem is becoming apparent with Roadhog. People good with his hooks are just getting automatic picks at the start of a fight which is counter intuitive because this game is supposed to be about team work and good positioning. You can't do anything once you're hooked.

Yeah Roadhog is just a lot of bullshit personally and I don't understand why Blizzard aren't trying to fix the hitbox so it seems fair.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The hitbox fix isn't going to do anything to his pick rate. Pros will still get the hooks.

Increased cd on hook though...

I really don't understand how people just call Reaper an "Edge Lord." He kind of is, but some of his voice lines are really badass.
I mean, he is. Doesn't mean he's a bad character. It's clearly very intentional.

I'm also guessing that Roadhog is gonna be the next character to get nerfed, going by all the complaints I've seen about him recently, along with the Evermore thing.

Mei as DPS? Wuh?

Mei usually occupies a DPS slot rather than a tank or support slot. And she does have a solid damage output as well if her player is good at landing headshots with her icicle.
She's also used to separate single targets that she and her team can easily take out by walling them off. As such, she indirectly functions as a DPS, as she is a way to get picks.

Would anyone be willing to help a rookie player on PS4 get better? I got the game recently and am starting to feel comfortable with it but I feel like my progress is being halted by having to play random matches. If anyone needs another player, let me know. Thanks!

Playing Genji
Go 4rounds on illos we win 3-1
Enemy teams tank says Genji won the game.
Enemy team doesnt have Genji
Mfw
tumblr_m7sys37msF1rn95k2o1_250.gif

Blues1990

I mean, he is. Doesn't mean he's a bad character. It's clearly very intentional.

I'm also guessing that Roadhog is gonna be the next character to get nerfed, going by all the complaints I've seen about him recently, along with the Evermore thing.

What is it about the "Evermore thing?" Does it involve Reaper's skin of the same name?

That voice line wasn't really that edgy. It was pretty real.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting that voice line to sound threatening, given that most of Reaper's lines usually don't sound as such.

Antiwhippy

Evermore is a Korean player who is currently sitting at 5000sr.

He was number 1 last season i believe. Or somewhere close. Plays for team kongdoo panthera.

Fancolors

I really don't understand how people just call Reaper an "Edge Lord." He kind of is, but some of his voice lines are really badass.

That sounds a lot like my 13 yo self would writ, so I find it it impossible to see Reaper as anything other than edgelord.

For reference, I once used the name XxDeath in some parts

Not bad considering you just got it on PC, are you comfortable with the m&k?

I think i feel good enough to say yes.
it just starts feeling second nature.
I guess watching a shit ton of pros playing before i got a pc helped in understanding the playstyle i could expect on pc.

I still fumble keys but ive only wrongly ulted 3 times so far lol

Plesiades

~*I'm just going to play my first two matches of Competitive*~

1st match had a teammate who changed characters almost every time he died.

2nd match the whole enemy team left after we where 2-0 on KOTH.

"The punishment for playing during the weekend? It just says DEFEAT at the end" -Jeff Kaplan, Overwatch Game Director

AngryMoth

Went 6-4 in placements (all solo queue) and placed 2632 which is the exact same rank I finished on last season. I'll take that, much better than the 2106 I placed at last time. The grind back to diamond begins...

Gurrry

I really wish they would implement some type of group finder system into Overwatch.

It could be similar to what they use in WoW. Just let the player select what type of class they want to play (healer, tank, etc) and find others who want to play the other roles.

Antiwhippy

Kinda in a way. Lotsa instalocked DVas nowadays because people hear that she's buffed, and yesterday I had a team where someone instalocked DVa, and then there was a guy who was stalling his pick, and so I checked his profile.

He only plays DVa.

He then played some really bad mercy, but I dunno, I tend to look into people's profiles just to see if they are a mainer and make sure they get to play that because I'd rather have them play their main than someone they don't know how to play.

Having people select their main and then the main class and secondary class, and then search based on that, could have saved that. Probably makes matchmaking take a whole lot longer though.

I really wish they would implement some type of group finder system into Overwatch.

It could be similar to what they use in WoW. Just let the player select what type of class they want to play (healer, tank, etc) and find others who want to play the other roles.

I think that's a good idea. I doubt they'll do it, certainly not in Comp, but that would be my preference. That would cure the cancer of everybody playing DPS and Defense heroes in QP as well.

ISOM

Lol, you're assuming that the pool of healers in Wow is the same in Overwatch. I highly doubt it.

Estimated queue times:

Offense = 2 hours
Defense = 2 hours
Tank = 30 mins
Support = Instant

I think i feel good enough to say yes.
it just starts feeling second nature.
I guess watching a shit ton of pros playing before i got a pc helped in understanding the playstyle i could expect on pc.

I still fumble keys but ive only wrongly ulted 3 times so far lol

Ah that's cool, I mainly ask because' I'm curious to know how long it'd probably take me to get accustomed to m&k if I do ever jump to PC. 3 is impressive lol, I tried it on someones PC for a bit and accidentally cancelled my high noon.

bjork

I had a good time playing as Mercy earlier, and I did okay as... the big knight guy, I don't know his name. I unlocked a skin where he's covered in plants, it looks cool. But I'm still spending more than half the match time running from the spawn point to wherever, only to get picked off by someone before I get a chance to do anything. It's kind of frustrating because if you just keep dying, how do you learn? The AI battles seem to be too simple compared to what an actual human would do, so I don't know. I still like it, but I'm not sure I can hang.

zoukka

I had a good time playing as Mercy earlier, and I did okay as... the big knight guy, I don't know his name. I unlocked a skin where he's covered in plants, it looks cool. But I'm still spending more than half the match time running from the spawn point to wherever, only to get picked off by someone before I get a chance to do anything. It's kind of frustrating because if you just keep dying, how do you learn? The AI battles seem to be too simple compared to what an actual human would do, so I don't know. I still like it, but I'm not sure I can hang.

You have a shield. Your job is to shield your buddies. You probably use the charge attack too often because that's the most popular way to suicide with the hero (Reinhardt) :)

You know what's the worst? When people purposely refuse to do anything but sit in the spawn and change characters throughout an entire Comp match then yell the entire game and berate the teammates.

Antiwhippy

Like, take note of positioning. It's kind of hard to convey honestly, and I feel like at some point you have to figure it out yourself, but a big part of the game is moving to positions where you can't get picked off easily and get the advantage as well, not just moving from spawn point to the next big skirmish.

bjork

You have a shield. Your job is to shield your buddies. You probably use the charge attack too often because that's the most popular way to suicide with the hero (Reinhardt) :)

I got some good work with the shield, but I actually forgot the charge was there most of the time, heh. It's gonna be a matter of just getting familiar with it. I still only have maybe 3 hours in?

Like, take note of positioning. It's kind of hard to convey honestly, and I feel like at some point you have to figure it out yourself, but a big part of the game is moving to positions where you can't get picked off easily and get the advantage as well, not just moving from spawn point to the next big skirmish.

This will come with time too, I guess. Some of these maps, it was my first time on them. The game likes to give me Route 66 a lot, so I've learned some there. Eventually it'll be a snap to know where to be, I'm guessing.

I-hate-u

People gotta have a wide pool of character they can decently play. You can't expect to play your main every match. Also people gotta be flexible and honest with themselves to switch off a character if they are not doing good with.

Reinhardt is basically playing chess with the other Reinhardt.

You watch what he does, he watches you. You need to watch what your team does as well as what his team does.

A well executed push by a Reinhardt can actually completely break a teams line allowing your team to clean up. At the same time a very bad push by a Reinhardt can allow the enemy to do the same.

Suicide Reins are the worst. Although not too far behind them are passive reins which just hold the shield and try not to make an opening. Rein is a very tactical and strategic char.

zoukka

I got some good work with the shield, but I actually forgot the charge was there most of the time, heh. It's gonna be a matter of just getting familiar with it. I still only have maybe 3 hours in?

Yep that's nothing yet, he's a fun hero to learn, make sure to launch those E's whenever the cooldown is done, it goes through enemy shields and racks up your ultimate charge. His ultimate can stun the whole enemy team, just make sure to use it when no shields are up, Rein shield blocks the Rein ultimate.

maomaoIYP

Would anyone be willing to help a rookie player on PS4 get better? I got the game recently and am starting to feel comfortable with it but I feel like my progress is being halted by having to play random matches. If anyone needs another player, let me know. Thanks!
Not sure what you mean by having to play random matches, but the only way to get better is to actually spend a considerable amount of time on every character and find those that actually click with you.
Also, use the training range to practice your aim on the moving dummies. I go back there every time I want to learn a new character.

Ambient80

You know that Disney movie Hercules? Remember how Hades is teamed up with idiots pain and panic? That's analogous to my time in my first competitive season.

giphy.gif

DevilDog

I've always said that characters that revolve around a one shot kill should have no place in this game.
And you are right.

Also people gotta be flexible and honest with themselves to switch off a character if they are not doing good with.

"I don't want to join team chat, people are assholes for telling me to switch off my hero cause I'm not doing good, what a toxic community"

Magwik

Banned
And you are right.

"I don't want to join team chat, people are assholes for telling me to switch off my hero cause I'm not doing good, what a toxic community"
If someone refuses to switch off a character your best bet is to try and work with them instead of around them. For example if they just want to pick Hanzo and refuse to change, then having a Zarya to combine ults inst a bad idea. The issue then becomes dealing with other people who think they shouldn't have to switch because the one person doesn't.

Top Bottom