• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

RPS37

Alright! I've got an update. I came in here the other day saying all I could play was Bastion. I'm now since been converted. I took someone's advice and focused on figuring out a character in every class. Now I like Soldier, Lucio, D.Va and Roadhog as well!

Alright! I've got an update. I came in here the other day saying all I could play was Bastion. I'm now since been converted. I took someone's advice and focused on figuring out a character in every class. Now I like Soldier, Lucio, D.Va and Roadhog as well!

That's a good batch of characters to pick, very versatile and almost never a bad choice. It's funny, I've been playing this game since retail, and my favorite characters have changed so many times. Honestly, I'd recommend everyone play a few rounds of Mystery Heroes, as it really throws you into unconventional fights and shows you a great variety of different match-ups and how they work out. I never would have found out I was a fairly good Reaper player until I rolled him on a Mystery Heroes match and just cleaned house.

Anne

0f49f2e82b.png

One of those days

xaosslug

on King's Row attack we push all the way to the end w/ 4.8 seconds to spare. Enemy pushes decently as well, it's hard faught, goes into overtime, but they get it there thanks to a well-timed D.Va nerf... we each get another minute to defend/attack. We're up first on defence and some on my team decide to self-destruct... Everyone wants to be DPS (I'm running D.Va), we have no healer, and the guy that was our Rein goes Torb (I'm the only tank, now...) and the guy on Reaper gets on mic and says 'what the fuck is this team comp?' and the guy that ran healer the last 2 rounds pipes up 'what?' and the other guy goes 'fuck you guys' and switches off Reaper to Widowmaker.

we stop them at the cafe/diner or whatever, and we don't even get the first point because once again: everyone wants to be DPS and we have no healer and I'm the only tank.

in the throes of our loss everyone on the team spams the 'thank you' emote.

but at least no one left, right?
smileyblackfillppkun.gif

https://www.reddit.com/r/Competitiveoverwatch/comments/5gjibr/masters_cant_get_out_of_gold/.compact

Apparently this 'masters' player cant carry out of gold. Newflash you're not master level then.

I concede its got a little harder to carry a game now, since any one can fly in your face with DVA and hold m2. Still though, he ain't masters.

I mean, to be fair, they could probably carry themselves out with enough time given that they have increased rank over time. But they deserve the pain and slow grind for purposefully trying to throw and ruin other people's games. If you take a hit to your ego for doing that shit, my schadenfreude goes through the roof. So I wouldn't mind if they are never able to dig themselves out.

He's masters in a group and gold solo. How is that not broken.

Good support/tank players can actually enable a carry, whereas lower tier players cannot. But the more likely thing is that they queue with two dps players and this person is the inferior one.

Anne

I think it's way harder to carry now than it was in S1-S2 btw. In those seasons I could just go off on first fight, and if I did we could have ult eco momentum that won us games barring some major fuck up. That and the fact the tools available to shut down a carry are much better right now.

Having had to sit S2 out for the most part, comp S3 is weird to play. It's also very weird not playing in solo q on my second account. Playing with mostly solo q and duos is a lot diff. Just makes me want an actual solo q even more, but I know Blizz won't let me have it.

I also played with some lower elo friends today, like silver-gold tier. I can pretty safely say that I didn't experience real Overwatch during those games.

Ah yes just like they teased Viking Torb for Halloween :/

I'd laugh if they did it twice in a row.

That's entirely different tho. Viking Torb and Witch Mercy were in a photo in a trailer (first), and Viking Torb still appears in the Junkenstein comic, along with a few other Halloween costumes we didn't get (such as Admiral Rein). And to top it off, the community was much more vocal about wanting Mercy, and not a lot of people were lobbying for Viking Torb.

However, Santa Torb has been posted by Blizzard as a holiday greeting, and all by himself. And, going back to the datamined content list,
Torb is confirmed to get a skin, as well as a highlight intro and emote
At this point, I'll be genuinely surprised if Torb didn't get a legendary skin.

I think it's way harder to carry now than it was in S1-S2 btw. In those seasons I could just go off on first fight, and if I did we could have ult eco momentum that won us games barring some major fuck up. That and the fact the tools available to shut down a carry are much better right now.

Having had to sit S2 out for the most part, comp S3 is weird to play. It's also very weird not playing in solo q on my second account. Playing with mostly solo q and duos is a lot diff. Just makes me want an actual solo q even more, but I know Blizz won't let me have it.

I also played with some lower elo friends today, like silver-gold tier. I can pretty safely say that I didn't experience real Overwatch during those games.

I think a lot of people would enjoy that. I would love it myself, so I could actually see what I could get done on Tank solo. But it would probably fuck up group queues pretty bad. I guess 5 stacks just couldn't be a thing anymore?

Dreavus

I mean, to be fair, they could probably carry themselves out with enough time given that they have increased rank over time. But they deserve the pain and slow grind for purposefully trying to throw and ruin other people's games. If you take a hit to your ego for doing that shit, my schadenfreude goes through the roof. So I wouldn't mind if they are never able to dig themselves out.

Good support/tank players can actually enable a carry, whereas lower tier players cannot. But the more likely thing is that they queue with two dps players and this person is the inferior one.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he was doing it to see "how he'd do" solo in a heavy team based game like this one at a lower rank. I don't think he actually cares much that he's doing poorly (it is an alt account after all), he's just making the observation at this point.

But yeah it sucks for the people who were on his team while he was "tanking" his placements. Not cool.

And of course, there are a number of comments stating "Well I did it, and I'm only diamond" so eh, who knows.

Mutombo

Was on a holiday for 2 weeks, came back, did my placements, won 6, lost 3, placed bit lower than I ended my season 2 (low 2000, compared to 2600) and I seem to be struggling.

Am I shit now?

Sad thing is, I'm not good with DPS apart from the situational pharaoh or tracer, but I really need a few good ones along my side if I want to tank and heal properly. And you know how it goes; if your team doesn't kill, but still relies on your role as a tank or support, you can't switch to a better damage dealer.

Those sum up many of my losses.

Others include my having too much faith in Symmetra. Too much of a gamble to play her; you have one life in which you should get the teleport up or bust.

ISOM

https://www.reddit.com/r/Competitiveoverwatch/comments/5gjibr/masters_cant_get_out_of_gold/.compact

Apparently this 'masters' player cant carry out of gold. Newflash you're not master level then.

I concede its got a little harder to carry a game now, since any one can fly in your face with DVA and hold m2. Still though, he ain't masters.

I was gold last season and climbed out of it and hope to be masters this season while 95% soloing. Maybe he's not that good.

Anne

Also I've come to the conclusion that while sometimes you do just get DPS players that can't aim, but most of the time your "shit DPS" isn't being given enough space or health to kill things. The team should really be working hard so that even if the DPS is just average they can get as much free damage as possible. A lot of tank/support players are shittier at their jobs than they think.

Like, there are very few Winstons I would trust to actually support my dive on Genji or Reins who will give me space to work with. I also basically never trust a healer to get me out of a bad spot or commit to something with me. It's pretty rare that I have an Ana capable of bailing me out of a poor fight, but that's like my baseline expectation in master level games.

If you're a support/tank player stuck in lower elo I'd suggest you start improving your ability to babysit and enable even the shittiest of DPS players.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Depends on the hero i feel. Had an example yesterday. Dude picked genji on koth. Could not get a single nanoblade kill. i was literally following him to pocket him nanoblading as he chases down 1 ana, and died to her because she nuked him. He had full health before that too. Should have killed the ana myself but c'mon, nanoblade.

Had the same guy next match. This time, he went soldier. We won every nano visor fight because it's literally just an aimbot.

Depends on the hero i feel. Had an example yesterday. Dude picked genji on koth. Could not get a single nanoblade kill. i was literally following him to pocket him nanoblading as he chases down 1 ana, and died to her because she nuked him. He had full health before that too. Should have killed the ana myself but c'mon, nanoblade.

Had the same guy next match. This time, he went soldier. We won every nano visor fight because it's literally just an aimbot.

You also have to know how to let your shitty dps go be shitty somewhere else sometimes too lol. Find the least shitty ones and work with them, you'll be surprised how often they can actually pull stuff out.

Antiwhippy

You also have to know how to let your shitty dps go be shitty somewhere else sometimes too lol. Find the least shitty ones and work with them, you'll be surprised how often they can actually pull stuff out.

Tbf the other dps left that game after round 2.

And after they did i got gold elims.

So it's a lost cause either way.

Anne

I mean, sometimes you get somebody on a mechanically demanding hero that is a dud. It happens. It doesn't happen every other match like people tell me it does though.

I'm personally just tired of being in situations where I know a tank or support player can make a play with me and I just die because they fall through. Then I just see a bunch of players like that say "well I'm just a support, I can't fix my shitty DPS." The same type of people that complain they can't hit their own mobile Genji with Ana. The same type of Reins that literally just hold shield and throw random firestrikes then Earthshatter into a shield.

Characters like Rein and Ana actually have a skill ceiling above something like Genji, and they can also have way more game impact too. I'd love to see more people in those roles really push their mechanics and decision making rather than bank on their DPS to murder everything.

I think up until recently there's been a huge over reliance even in pro teams on DPS playmakers. The teams that are starting to really look crazy strong are the ones with the best tanks/supports that can control a map. Same thing in comp queue. I'd be wiling to bet the team with the Rein that plays better is the one that usually wins lol

bjork

Are you only playing vs ai? Definitely jump into quick play and start playing with other people. There is a hidden match making system, so you dont have to worry about other players being much better than you.

Quick play was putting me with some people who were new like me, but then others who were like level 40. One dude was level 82 and he was slaughtering everyone. But I've been doing mostly AI so I'm not dragging a team down while I learn.

Malo

Banned
I just got kicked out of a comp a game and when I tried to rejoin, it wouldn't let me. Got suspended for ten minutes and lost 50 SR. Fucking great.

No more overwatch for me tonight.

Tbf the other dps left that game after round 2.

And after they did i got gold elims.

So it's a lost cause either way.

And sometimes we take those L's too lol.

But I do have to say, after working on my play and playing at a higher level for a while, positioning and playmaking skills on Tank roles can definitely cause you to stomp another team. My QP mmr has been trash from the first few
hundred
hours of OW. And I thought last season that I couldn't carry games like that or do anything if I had a bad draw on the DPS. But I've been solo q'ing qp, and I've been surprised the difference I've been able to make even in that. As long as you can get your team to actually stay with you as Rein, you land hooks/bubbles, or dive correctly with your Genji/Tracer you can totally make your way out of most anything it seems like.

Esp with Rein. You can actually tell the difference between a Diamond and Master Rein shockingly easy. That is one of the few tanks that you can tell the skill gap the most with. The others you can just kind of ignore unless they are really bad. But you can usually tell which rein is better almost immediately.

iosa

Not a bad competitive weekend for me as I went 16-5 (with a 13 games winning streak - 8 were placements matches though ) but had a loss both times I could reach diamond.

I don't know if I'll buy able to play any more on PS4 as I'll probably switch to PC soon.

He talks about winning with his friend. And then them both losing when they go solo.

In the end you need your team to do at least something... anything... in this game. And it's a gamble whether or not they can do it when you queue solo. Its shocking how often people are unable to do their basic jobs.

I was only in gold for a handful of games last season but plat was brutal too. I was only able to stomach the game for about five days at a time (two times) but I had way too many people that were incompetent or unwilling to be a team player. It was just a waste of time trying to get to diamond, I got close a few times but then would have horrible teammates including people purposely throwing.

I would play every role including healing people that can't kill way too often, but i wanted to win so I did it. Forget about going against groups or playing with groups that won't support you. Its impossible without help especially if the enemy begins to focus you.

I think having different solo and group MMRs would fix this problem because I'm certain people have inflated ranks. Its the only explanation for them to be unable to capitalize on plays and space or press w on the keyboard.

KOTH games are especially bad because people can't be saved by chokepoints.

I haven't played since near the end of last season, and it was better than the start of the season and a lot better than the start of the first season (the other times I played comp). But still too frustrating playing solo for any extended period for me.

Anne

To put it into perspective here's everything a top tier Reinhardt player has to do:

- Understand where their shield covers things on every map down to the angle
- Manage 2 of the most powerful CDs in the game between shielding
- Keep track of where basically everybody is on the map at all times
- Manage resources (health pool and shield)
- Move around in a way that creates space and pressure
- Make key decisions about hot to engage/disengage fights
- Play the RPS game with an enemy Rein or frontline in general
- Make decisions on how to shield off things such as D.Va bomb

And there's way more to that too. And if the Rein makes a misplay? His entire team is now open to damage, CC, etc. If he doesn't move to position his DPS and create pressure? Then his team makes no progress. It's an extremely punishing hero when you misplay and an extremely impotent one when played passively.

It takes a whole lot of work to be able to that consistently. I have mad respect for any Rein that can keep that shit up.

Meanwhile I'm sitting over here playing McCree like, "I just have to not fuck up flashbang and click on things. Sometimes I need to be careful where I stand."

Antiwhippy

I mean i definitely agree regarding ana and rein. If someone complains to a dps to stop moving so they can heal my first thought is that they should just not play ana. But sometimes you do need the support though.

Yesterday i had a match where we were capping hana b. Their soldier respawned, and activated ult. He went for the healers first, and i can't remember if i missed or if it's on cd, but bottomline is i couldn't sleep him. Misplay on my part, but we had a goddamn dva too. In my deathcam i saw her just standing on the balcony shooting at him while the ult is still active.

I mean it could have been my play but goddamnit dva, all you had to do was press shift and hold m2 up at his face.

Like sometimes i wish people have more game knowledge lower down. Not even skill, just game knowledge. I still get people waking up nano rein/ult genji/ult soldier shortly after i slept them.

Anne

Yeah, I'd blame that on your D.Va too. Her misplay got you killed. I find it funny how simple D.Va is but how people manage to mess it up rn. The most common mistakes for a D.Va to make are bad CD management and I totally get that. The rest of her right now though is kinda derpy. Just stick your face in whatever your teams wants to go away for a moment really.

In the end you need your team to do at least something... anything... in this game. And it's a gamble whether or not they can do it when you queue solo. Its shocking how often people are unable to do their basic jobs.

I'm going to address this before I head to bed, because lol work, but this seems to be the crux of your issue. There is a codependency and reliance on teammates in this game more than any other. But there is always something you can do to make things go better. I like to imagine things even with shitters as being situations I can win if I play them right. Even though sometimes I get frustrated that I block 38k, deal 15k and things still aren't happening the way they should. Even in those games there was something I could do better myself.

You have to work on finding the players who can do their jobs quickly in a given match. Like first 30 secs usually. When I used to run Mercy in solo q, I'd keep a very close eye on the killfeed in that timeframe. If nothing happened, I'd just do my job. But if I saw a hanzo or McCree or something doing work, I'd make damage boosting them my job until healing was needed. Or like if I'm running like hog on Nepal and see a McCree going off, but having trouble taking high, I stick with him and hook enemies when they try to focus him/tank damage for him as he hopefully kills them. If you show you can do your job, players who can do their jobs will gravitate towards you because they know they need to work with you if you are to win. Remember the other team has to deal with the same shit. So work with the players who can do their jobs and you should come out on top more often than not.

Sometimes you don't see any of this shit. Sometimes it can truly look like you've been dealt a bad hand. In those cases you need to do your job extra well. Pay careful attention to who tries to help you out in some way and work with them. Figuring out how to work as a team is a skill in itself in a game like this, and can make a huge difference. And if none of the above works, try calling out literally everything you do in vc. It may sound weird or feel awkward at first, but that shit helps in ways you wouldn't even believe.

I hope some of this helps, sorry I was so verbose, but I tend to get that way sometimes

It takes a whole lot of work to be able to that consistently. I have mad respect for any Rein that can keep that shit up.

Meanwhile I'm sitting over here playing McCree like, "I just have to not fuck up flashbang and click on things. Sometimes I need to be careful where I stand."
Okay, he's not that hard to play lol.

Antiwhippy

I think a lot of people just don't know how to play dva? The trend I'm seeing is people picking dva roadhog as the tank duo because they heard that they are strong now and go "yay i don't have to play rein!"

And then the 2 just go off to do their own thing.

And then i have no idea what I'm supposed to do.

If i could hard carry dps in those situations i'll probably be alright, but i can't except for mei sometimes, but i guess that's why i can't climb as consistently as i would like. Like my skill is a factor no doubt but sometimes you just wish for teammates that can support you too.

Of course I've got plenty of games too where the team worked well as a whole and everything is great, but man, the ones that don't stick out like a sore thumb.

Broke back through to Diamond much quicker this season. Feels good man. Had an intense, 25 minute Temple of Anubis match that went to like the third push. Ended up winning 6-5, lol.

So far I think ive only lost once on koth and 2cp maps.

Comp is really weird sometimes like i try and be open in my games. Ill instalock dps but then 2 team mates will pick hanzo and junkrat. So i say in chat hey do one of you guys wanna play dps ill go healer.

N
O
P
E

Pretty much all my losses so far have been from teams not communicating.

Anne

D.Va was severely underplayed, even when she was honestly pretty good for a bit there. Now people hear "wow D.Va so broke" and are just now picking her up. Makes sense there'd be a lot of D.Va players that just don't get it yet.

Antiwhippy

D.Va was severely underplayed, even when she was honestly pretty good for a bit there. Now people hear "wow D.Va so broke" and are just now picking her up. Makes sense there'd be a lot of D.Va players that just don't get it yet.

That's what I'm trying to figure out now. I don't know if it's just that particular session, but I've seen so many dva/roadhog duos that I feel it might be a trend this season (or at least until the next patch hits), so I'm trying to figure out how to play around it.

I probably should play rein (I'm not the best rein), but that would mean the lucio/mercy/zen would be solo healing which I'm kinda iffy on when it comes to trip tank, because the DPS + attack junkrat probably wouldn't change. Also a high chance the roadhog DVa doesn't actually know why the trip tank is so good. I also barely have any practice with this comp myself.

Or should I just support my ass off as ana.

It's a puzzler. A low elo puzzler.

That's what I'm trying to figure out now. I don't know if it's just that particular session, but I've seen so many dva/roadhog duos that I feel it might be a trend this season (or at least until the next patch hits), so I'm trying to figure out how to play around it.

I probably should play rein (I'm not the best rein), but that would mean the lucio/mercy/zen would be solo healing which I'm kinda iffy on when it comes to trip tank, because the DPS + attack junkrat probably wouldn't change. Also a high chance the roadhog DVa doesn't actually know why the trip tank is so good. I also barely have any practice with this comp myself.

Or should I just support my ass off as ana.

It's a puzzler. A low elo puzzler.

Ask one of the dps players to go rein with the hog/dva. That is current Korean meta, and it is very strong when run well. Luckily lower elos should also not be able to adapt to the three of them even being in play, much less if they attempt to work together.

Also gets your ass some protection instead of having to hope a Hanzo arrow doesn't find your good eye.

Antiwhippy

I sometimes do, but man, people loathe playing rein sometimes. Like, it'll take the 5th earthshatter for one of the tanks to go rein, and sometimes they'll still stick to their pick.

Also I don't really know why, but most of the roadhogs seem to think that he's reaper and get in the thick of things instead of finding sightlines to get their hook on. I understand with DVa but god, it's kinda mentally exhausting chasing 2 tanks going at seemingly opposite directions.

The times I've been in triple tank has been glorious though.

Shahadan

I don't understand why people are still ignoring Dva after she gets out of her mech...Especially in this Random Hero mode where that would get rid of her for good

maomaoIYP

I don't know if somehow everyone in my region has already finished placement within a few days but it seems that in S3 they stopped putting people who are doing placement into games where others are also doing placements. Anyone else experienced this?

caesar

Banned
Quick play was putting me with some people who were new like me, but then others who were like level 40. One dude was level 82 and he was slaughtering everyone. But I've been doing mostly AI so I'm not dragging a team down while I learn.

You wont learn as much playing the ai and anyone who cares that much about qp results is a dolt so dont worry about it.

Blues1990

You wont learn as much playing the ai and anyone who cares that much about qp results is a dolt so dont worry about it.

I do find playing against AI opponents a great way to practice with landing headshots. I've been doing so with Roadhog and Soldier: 76, as those two have been the trickiest for me to perform that task.

Why can't I cancel Reinhardt's Charge? If I miss an enemy why do I have to wait until I bash into a wall to stop? Why can't I just press the button again to grind to a halt?

I knew becuase of the problem i had in season 2 (having to take a trip while they still played) I wouldnt ever will be able to play the game again once they said season 2 results will alter how you started season 3.

And yep, after the placement matches my game said fuck you and will not let me play with my friends anymore.
I tried to go up in season 2 to catch them, but its impossible becuase of how horrible the matchsystem works in the game.
They also want to play competitive so quickplay is not an option here (they play once or twice just so they can play with me, but as you gain shit on it they prefer competitive, and I dont want them to lose time with me).

If this stays the same, my game is useless now. One of the worst design decission Ive ever seen. A teamwork game, that encourages to play with friends, discourages to play with friends because of stupid level caps.
The worst thing is that the design would be so easy to fix, instead of shitty caps, why the fuck dont they do a median to the highest players only, instead of between all. If a high level team wants to carry a worse player, let them fucking carry him. Its easy, if someone is serioslu a gap of 1000 out of the median, just take him out of the calculation. Its your teams problem, and would not affect your rivals in any way.

Someone probably will say to git gud, but sorry I want to play this game to have fun AND win with my friends. Im not the best player at the game, but with my friends I play with communication and can have fun. With randoms, klike in season 2, i can play well when I have a team that tries to communicate and play well, and shit luck the rest (most) of the time.

The worst thing is that the design would be so easy to fix, instead of shitty caps, why the fuck dont they do a median to the highest players only, instead of between all. If a high level team wants to carry a worse player, let them fucking carry him. Its easy, if someone is serioslu a gap of 1000 out of the median, just take him out of the calculation. Its your teams problem, and would not affect your rivals in any way.

Even that's exploitable. What if you get a Master level player to smurf an account to the point that it's "not counted" then he can actually boost the team immensely in actual skill.

You're unfortunately an edge case scenario that is caught up compared to how it'd be exploited.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Why can't I cancel Reinhardt's Charge? If I miss an enemy why do I have to wait until I bash into a wall to stop? Why can't I just press the button again to grind to a halt?

Because missing the enemy and ending up on the other side of a cliff is always good for a laugh.

Top Bottom