• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Even that's exploitable. What if you get a Master level player to smurf an account to the point that it's "not counted" then he can actually boost the team immensely in actual skill.

You're unfortunately an edge case scenario that is caught up compared to how it'd be exploited.

Reading the internet im not the only one with the problem, so not an edge case scenario here.
You are ALWAYS going to have exploitable shit, those are the really rarely cases, what you need to put are walls for this to not happen. A wall is, if someone tries to smurf (just go for clone accounts that have a very high level in one and a very low one in other), ban him. And BTW you can still do what you are saying right now.
The game just fall with its teamwork design philosophy if it doesnt let you play with your friends. Fullstop.
Now they are hurting me, a real buyer that doesnt use exploits, as basically my game has transformed into a 60 euros paperweight because one week a decided to have a normal social live.

Greddleok

Why can't I cancel Reinhardt's Charge? If I miss an enemy why do I have to wait until I bash into a wall to stop? Why can't I just press the button again to grind to a halt?

Risk/Reward.

Rein's charge is an incredibly powerful move, capable of OHKO anyone aside from tanks. Even then, the charge + a couple of swings and even the tanks go down.

It also stops anyone from popping defensive cool downs during the charge, guaranteeing the kill. Need to have a down side man, like flying into the middle of nowhere to be shat on by the other team, or flying off an edge to your death.

Skii

Reading the internet im not the only one with the problem, so not an edge case scenario here.
You are ALWAYS going to have exploitable shit, those are the really rarely cases, what you need to put are walls for this to not happen. A wall is, if someone tries to smurf (just go for clone accounts that have a very high level in one and a very low one in other), ban him. And BTW you can still do what you are saying right now.
The game just fall with its teamwork design philosophy if it doesnt let you play with your friends. Fullstop.
Now they are hurting me, a real buyer that doesnt use exploits, as basically my game has transformed into a 60 euros paperweight because one week a decided to have a normal social live.

You can't really ban people for having smurf accounts. I think they just buy a new game so it would be ridiculous to ban someone for just buying a new game.

And you can play with your friends in QP. Competitive is supposed to have rules and be as fair as possible. That's why it was made. So they have to put systems in place to prevent people exploiting competitive to a ridiculous extent.

And you didn't become 1000 SR worse than your friends because you missed out 1 week of play. You just need to look at your game and see where you can improve to ensure that you're within range with them again.

Blues1990

Man, I did not have much luck today in Competitive. I really wish we just started off with our Season 2 high, as grinding through Gold Rank again is becoming a serious headache. :(

Greddleok

Man, I did not have much luck today in Competitive. I really wish we just started off with our Season 2 high, as grinding through Gold Rank again is becoming a serious headache. :(

From what I can gather, they changed the rating system because there were FAR too many people in Platinum, and like no one in gold/silver/bronze.

Chances are, if you were a platinum player, you'll end up in silver/gold. It was a huge fuck up by blizzard, they are going to piss off a bunch of people who inexplicably tied their Overwatch Season rank to their self-worth.

Not completed my placement matches yet, but I'll probably get 50:50 which I doubt will keep me in platinum. I'm expecting a drop to gold, but as long as I'm not against crazy good players, or with awful, awful players, I'll be happy.

caesar

Banned
From what I can gather, they changed the rating system because there were FAR too many people in Platinum, and like no one in gold/silver/bronze.

Chances are, if you were a platinum player, you'll end up in silver/gold. It was a huge fuck up by blizzard, they are going to piss off a bunch of people who inexplicably tied their Overwatch Season rank to their self-worth.

Not completed my placement matches yet, but I'll probably get 50:50 which I doubt will keep me in platinum. I'm expecting a drop to gold, but as long as I'm not against crazy good players, or with awful, awful players, I'll be happy.

Lol what, it was in no way a fuck up. The games are way more balanced this season.

the problem isnt necessarily switching or a certain hero pick... its them running off and doing their own thing and not grouping with the team. communication is big in overwatch you can beat a good team if you can communicate well

Broken record time...

The quality of games is is so bad when you get below gold (PS4). Last season I when I was in the 2200 - 2300 range I really felt like me and my teammates were sticking the landing and performing very well as a team. I find that when I play with randos in the 1800-1900 range I'm getting matched with people who are just playing with total tunnel vision and not communicating.

This weekend I played with a Toblerone who literally jumped off a balcony into a swarm of enemies (ala Reaper ulting) and...started setting up his turret. I suggested that people switch up their characters if it isn't working, that we group up and not trickle in etc. but got no response.

When I've been 5 & 6 stacking we've had some great games though. Long story short, stop solo queuing I guess. I don't think I've won a single solo game this season.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
It's kinda funny how I still don't know if I like this game or not. It feels like I'm either feeling normal for doing my job properly, or I feel awful when I'm getting steamrolled for various reasons.

I also feel forced into playing a tank or healer role because everyone always plays DPS, or I don't trust the healer to be any good so I do it myself. It's not really fun because when I do get a chance to play DPS, I usually fall back to the more generic characters like Soldier because I don't know the more unique characters well enough to contribute to the team.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't get this ranking system. I lost like a gazillion matches today (sorry blues :(), than won 2 matches to end the day, but still ended up at a higher SR than I was when I started.

Blues1990

That's the thing. Why didn't Blizzard target EVERYONE for this change in Season 3?

It didn't help that for my placement matches for Season 3, every team that I was with had players that were dead set with self-sabotaging the game for everyone else. Didn't matter how hard I played as Zarya, Zenyatta, Lucio, or Reinhardt, as every match was basically a 4/5 VS 6.

All because of one or two jackasses that went out of their way to fuck the game for everyone else. :/

And I did the smart thing with teaming up for my placement matches, and I did fine, and the people that I played with did well. But we still lost, regardless of how well we did. I don't want to grind again if I'm paired with DPS players that can't take care of the Pharah that is blowing us apart, healers that pocket characters who constantly die over and over again, and players that can't help me (as a Support Hero) when I'm being attacked.

Auctopus

1000 hours later you will not be sure if you like it or not or have ever actually enjoyed playing it or not. It's that sort of game.

That's me right now. (Only about 100 hours though).

When the game works, players work towards the objective and know what they're doing - it's unrivalled. However, about 65% of the time, it feels like you're fighting off a whole team on your own and you're constantly sanctioned for bad matchmaking.

I'm taking some time off from the game now after going from about Level 69 to 100 in 3-4 weeks. I really enjoyed some of that but no other game has frustrated me to the point of this one.

Greddleok

Lol what, it was in no way a fuck up. The games are way more balanced this season.

The original issue of putting everyone in platinum was the fuck up. Fixing it will (and has) pissed a lot of people off.

That's the thing. Why didn't Blizzard target EVERYONE for this change in Season 3?

They did as far as I know. Match making isn't perfect though, people slip through the cracks.

Antiwhippy

So from 3 wins I've climbed 110SR to my season high (which is not a very impressive SR, but still), and from what felt like an endless losing streak I only lost 60?

Also goddamn I really can't play rein. I just don't know when I should hold back or when I should go ham, or at least I can't do it consistently. Somedays I feel like I did it, somedays I feel like nothing works. Definitely a real gamble hero for me.

Akuun

1000 hours later you will not be sure if you like it or not or have ever actually enjoyed playing it or not. It's that sort of game.
That's really depressing. I play games to relax and have fun, not have a lukewarm experience where I'm constantly wondering if I wasted my time.

AbaFadi

Banned
So from 3 wins I've climbed 110SR to my season high (which is not a very impressive SR, but still), and from what felt like an endless losing streak I only lost 60?

Also goddamn I really can't play rein. I just don't know when I should hold back or when I should go ham, or at least I can't do it consistently. Somedays I feel like I did it, somedays I feel like nothing works. Definitely a real gamble hero for me.

A lot of the times the deciding factor for me to drop shields depends on how much health I have. If I'm full health and enemies are really close I'll start swinging and go for quick kills on squishy characters. I would try not to fight tanks first since you'll be swinging for a while. Always best to go for the quick kills first. If you want to go for a charge kill, make sure you charge up against a nearby wall for a kill. Don't go charging across the map or you'll die for sure. Also try to practice landing fire strikes on enemies. Building up ult charge fast can be the deciding factor in team fights. A good combo is to swing once and then fire strike, which does 175 damage. When you earthshatter, try to swing your hammer and fire strike first before going for a charge. When you charge, you'll most likely displace all the enemies meaning your team won't get the most out of it. You can swing at multiple enemies at once in an earthshatter and deal 75 damage per swing I believe.

That's all I could think of off the top of my head. I've been having really good luck with Reinhardt this season following this strategy.

Antiwhippy

Thing is shield breaks so fast in this meta that I'm not sure if I'm timing my engages correctly.

Also i feel so much depends on your supports too. Last match of the day i had ilios. Had this rein that loves going absolutely ham. Like christ almighty HAM. Decided that it would be a bad idea to let him die, and so i pocjeted the shit out of him as ana. Grenade to start engages are a real thing. Dude ended up with most kills and i actually healed more than oyr lucio.

Skii

I think the system this time round works a lot better than last season. They are basically putting you at lower ranks but are saying "hey, if you can win a few here, you're going to be back to your rank or higher". The players that are self destructive won't win during that grace period and will never get back to their rank whilst those that keep trucking on will eventually get a few wins from the beginning games and make a significant net gain on points even if they lost plenty on the way.

But it does feel bad to be on teams with self destructive players. Whether it be someone who was diamond last season and is now in gold who thinks he's hot shit and constantly goes on about how "he can't carry with such bad players" on voice chat or the Mercy main who thinks it somehow works on KOTH.

I seriously doubt I'll be able to get back to my season high. I was nearly Master, which I don't really think I'm good enough for. My SR has been going all over the place this season, I hope it settles down.

I-hate-u

I lost 2 games because the game kicked me out. Lost 60 points

It does depend on supports if you want to go ham. He takes some time to learn tbh. The biggest things are to not just stand in the choke with your shield up, and to only go ham if both your team and yourself will remain safe for the most part. It's actually worth it a majority of the time to let your shield regen instead of trying to charge in every time it breaks (which is what I see most new reins do). I made a post last week on Rein, so I'll see what I can dig up.

Also, I always forget if you're PS4 or PC, but if you're PC I'm always willing to help.

That's really depressing. I play games to relax and have fun, not have a lukewarm experience where I'm constantly wondering if I wasted my time.

Like any multiplayer game it's probably best experienced with a full group of friends where you can have a laugh with each other no matter what happens in the game.

When the game works, players work towards the objective and know what they're doing - it's unrivalled. However, about 65% of the time, it feels like you're fighting off a whole team on your own and you're constantly sanctioned for bad matchmaking.

Pretty much the worst thing is a long session where it seems everyone is either really bitter and flaming everyone or is just in their own world not caring what anyone else does.

Moonkeis

I think the system this time round works a lot better than last season. They are basically putting you at lower ranks but are saying "hey, if you can win a few here, you're going to be back to your rank or higher". The players that are self destructive won't win during that grace period and will never get back to their rank whilst those that keep trucking on will eventually get a few wins from the beginning games and make a significant net gain on points even if they lost plenty on the way.

But it does feel bad to be on teams with self destructive players. Whether it be someone who was diamond last season and is now in gold who thinks he's hot shit and constantly goes on about how "he can't carry with such bad players" on voice chat or the Mercy main who thinks it somehow works on KOTH.

I'm not really a fan of this system. When you finally manage to work your way back up to a certain SR, it feels great to be in that range with players of the same skill or higher. The thing is, if you take a few losses, even though they are close challenging matches or the ones where you have teammates throwing/DCing, you're put into "easy" matches the more SR you drop. I'd prefer for the system to keep challenging me in that same range than the repeat cycle that it is now.

Cappa

Banned
I'm not really a fan of this system. When you finally manage to work your way back up to a certain SR, it feels great to be in that range with players of the same skill or higher. The thing is, if you take a few losses, even though they are close challenging matches or the ones where you have teammates throwing/DCing, you're put into "easy" matches the more SR you drop. I'd prefer for the system to keep challenging me in that same range than the repeat cycle that it is now.

To me, the higher my SR, the worse my matches get...... Ive been fluctating in the 2900s for the past week because any time I get near diamond I seem to get placed with troll players, not bad just clearly trolling. Had one match yesterday KOTH Nepal, Symmetra and Widowmaker in one group. OK fine, Ill go Torb. We steam rolled the other team and actually won the first round. Next match, the opposing team won. Third match that group goes Pharah and Ana and we steam roll them again, the guy actually ended up getting POTG.

Then for absolutely no reason whatsoever they go Ana and Roadhog and just are sitting in one position the entire game. I remember one of the usernames it was NOT_WOMAN lol

We are up 2-1 when they start doing this and playing with essentially 4 players we almost win the game... but of course 6 on 4 is never going to win and we end up losing the next two matches because they just stopped playing for no reason. I wish there was some sort of reporting system like on PC.

Edit: Just realized Im the #179 ranked Mei on Overbuff, thats cool I guess lol

https://www.overbuff.com/players/psn/XxCappaXx?mode=competitive

To me, the higher my SR, the worse my matches get...... Ive been fluctating in the 2900s for the past week because any time I get near diamond I seem to get placed with troll players, not bad just clearly trolling. Had one match yesterday KOTH Nepal, Symmetra and Widowmaker in one group. OK fine, Ill go Torb. We steam rolled the other team and actually won the first round. Next match, the opposing team won. Third match that group goes Pharah and Ana and we steam roll them again, the guy actually ended up getting POTG.

Then for absolutely no reason whatsoever they go Ana and Roadhog and just are sitting in one position the entire game. I remember one of the usernames it was NOT_WOMAN lol

We are up 2-1 when they start doing this and playing with essentially 4 players we almost win the game... but of course 6 on 4 is never going to win and we end up losing the next two matches because they just stopped playing for no reason. I wish there was some sort of reporting system like on PC.

Edit: Just realized Im the #179 ranked Mei on Overbuff, thats cool I guess lol

https://www.overbuff.com/players/psn/XxCappaXx?mode=competitive

You climbed a lot today, nice :)

You were 1 victory away from diamond, but you will get there because you are clearly above platinum rank.

Akuun

I'm starting to see why people like Ana more than Mercy. She's generally more versatile in a fight and she has great burst healing if people are grouped together. The only problem is that I have trouble hitting those small fast characters juking everywhere. Let me heal you, damn it!

Still not sure who to use my ult on though.

I'm starting to see why people like Ana more than Mercy. She's generally more versatile in a fight and she has great burst healing if people are grouped together. The only problem is that I have trouble hitting those small fast characters juking everywhere. Let me heal you, damn it!

Still not sure who to use my ult on though.

Biotic Grenade is so good because you aren't tied to one person and it serves the double purpose of a healing buff and an enemy team debuff. Being able to not have to switch weapons to do damage is also great.

Don't be too eager to throw out the Sleep Dart. As someone who's playing D.Va a lot I love eating those darts with Defense Matrix.

As for ulting, look for combos that work well. Who needs a little more bulk to make their ult last the full duration? Who can do a ton of damage with boost? Who needs a little encouragement to go in?

Losing speed boost on Nano means you have to be a bit more situational, but man Nano Boosting Pharah, Soldier 76, Reaper, Reinhart, are my main picks.

Akuun

Biotic Grenade is so good because you aren't tied to one person and it serves the double purpose of a healing buff and an enemy team debuff. Being able to not have to switch weapons to do damage is also great.

Don't be too eager to throw out the Sleep Dart. As someone who's playing D.Va a lot I love eating those darts with Defense Matrix.

As for ulting, look for combos that work well. Who needs a little more bulk to make their ult last the full duration? Who can do a ton of damage with boost? Who needs a little encouragement to go in?

Losing speed boost on Nano means you have to be a bit more situational, but man Nano Boosting Pharah, Soldier 76, Reaper, Reinhart, are my main picks.
Thanks.

How tanky is someone when they get Nanoboost? Do I not have to worry about them anymore or should I still keep an eye on their health? Right now I've been treating it as a sort of fire and forget thing.

I was gonna say it before but losing the speed increas on nanoboost is probably the nerf that makes me salty the most after genji.

It used to be so cool being able to clutch boost a player so they can to the point faster now its just oh yeah. Cant do that anymore.
Wish they just cancelled out lucios speed boost if you had nanoboost on. :///

Thewonandonly

Risk/Reward.

Rein's charge is an incredibly powerful move, capable of OHKO anyone aside from tanks. Even then, the charge + a couple of swings and even the tanks go down.

It also stops anyone from popping defensive cool downs during the charge, guaranteeing the kill. Need to have a down side man, like flying into the middle of nowhere to be shat on by the other team, or flying off an edge to your death.
I always shed a little tear when I fly off the edge. Hard life being rein sometime :( but it's worth it for the satisfaction along when you get that sweet kill exspecially on a tracer or genii.

Also when's the Chrismas event? I would have thought they would start it now

I always shed a little tear when I fly off the edge. Hard life being rein sometime :( but it's worth it for the satisfaction along when you get that sweet kill exspecially on a tracer or genii.

Also when's the Chrismas event? I would have thought they would start it now

Yeah. I was honestly hoping for the whole month of December to be dedicated to Christmas.

There just won't be enough time on, and around, Christmas day.

Didn't the Halloween event last almost all of October? I think it would be stupid to start the Xmas one in mid-December.

I think both events (Summer, Halloween) went for about 3 weeks. I said the 13th because if I'm remembering it right that was the date that came out with the leak.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I think both events (Summer, Halloween) went for about 3 weeks. I said the 13th because if I'm remembering it right that was the date that came out with the leak.

Yeah... I guess ending the event on January 3rd make more sense than December 27th if they want to stay with just 3 weeks. But considering how Xmas should be a bigger event than Summer or Halloween, and how people are going to be more busy during the holidays, I think an extra week wouldn't hurt.

Thewonandonly

A lot of the times the deciding factor for me to drop shields depends on how much health I have. If I'm full health and enemies are really close I'll start swinging and go for quick kills on squishy characters. I would try not to fight tanks first since you'll be swinging for a while. Always best to go for the quick kills first. If you want to go for a charge kill, make sure you charge up against a nearby wall for a kill. Don't go charging across the map or you'll die for sure. Also try to practice landing fire strikes on enemies. Building up ult charge fast can be the deciding factor in team fights. A good combo is to swing once and then fire strike, which does 175 damage. When you earthshatter, try to swing your hammer and fire strike first before going for a charge. When you charge, you'll most likely displace all the enemies meaning your team won't get the most out of it. You can swing at multiple enemies at once in an earthshatter and deal 75 damage per swing I believe.

That's all I could think of off the top of my head. I've been having really good luck with Reinhardt this season following this strategy.
Thank you that's some good advice. I play a preety good rein but I always charge right when I fire strike. Makes sense to wait until your team can kill some before charging :)

Yeah... I guess ending the event on January 3rd make more sense than December 27th if they want to stay with just 3 weeks. But considering how Xmas should be a bigger event than Summer or Halloween, and how people are going to be more busy during the holidays, I think an extra week wouldn't hurt.

Yeah, that would be awesome. Especially because I have 2-days off this week :p

Xzan

After a disappointing Season 2 where I gave up on solo queue despite climbing my way partially out of a 20 game losing streak, I decided I'd stick to my main, Zarya, for Season 3 unless someone inst-picked or we needed something else.

Placed in the middle of gold tonight, which was disappointing. But, on the other hand, I've put in some strong performances and should climb soon.

Gotta avoid the temptation to play my other favourite, Ana, outside of a proper group or a decent comp. She's probably my favourite character to play but solo queue randos can't be relied upon.

At least with Zarya I can both protect team mates and do decent damage without being too reliant on healing.

caesar

Banned

The game is trying to keep you where it thinks you should be, it will even out eventually.

Anne

I wake up to see Misfits has disbanded :<

They're looking to put together a super team of Swedish players apparently? Rumor has it TviQ might be going into the new roster? I'm confused ;~;

Thanks.

How tanky is someone when they get Nanoboost? Do I not have to worry about them anymore or should I still keep an eye on their health? Right now I've been treating it as a sort of fire and forget thing.

Damage boost and reduction is both %50, so if you Ult a tank you can pretty much let them do their own thing, especially with a biotic grenade available.

If it's a glass cannon like Genji, Reaper, S76, Pharah, you may need to keep an eye on them because they're still at less "health" than a tank even with Nanoboost.

But it's nice to see a Pharah survive long enough for a full ult because she was boosted and we could keep her healed as a result of having the damage reduction / extra "health".

At least with Zarya I can both protect team mates and do decent damage without being too reliant on healing.

That's why I mained Zarya in Season 2. Going mostly D.Va / S76 in Season 3 because I've been disappointed with people playing S76 and then ignoring high priority targets or playing D.Va and not being offensive enough as a tank.

AngryMoth

I wake up to see Misfits has disbanded :<

They're looking to put together a super team of Swedish players apparently? Rumor has it TviQ might be going into the new roster? I'm confused ;~;
Really? Sucks to hear after they've been doing so good lately. Would be a shame if Tviq left Rogue too. Guess iddqd would be on the potential roster for that team

this "reinstancing" bullshit is so annoying. i'm only playing quick play for the daily win bonus, and right before a game of control is about to end, 3 people on the other team leave. instead of putting 3 people in, it just cancels the game, and we get nothing.

Top Bottom