• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Thewonandonly

"Repeatedly leaving matches early will result in a penalty"

Yo dawg I didn't mean to leave I got disconnected from the server so you can go away now

Anne

Have fun dealing with nano visor without dva.

There are ways to deal with it without D.Va. Tbh I don't mind D.Va being able to deal with that anyways. If you're worried about wombo combo and don't have mobility/CC then you should pick D.Va by design I'd guess. The problem right now is that she basically erases entire heroes when played well.

RIP Junkrat 2016-2016

KiraFA37

There are ways to deal with it without D.Va. Tbh I don't mind D.Va being able to deal with that anyways. If you're worried about wombo combo and don't have mobility/CC then you should pick D.Va by design I'd guess. The problem right now is that she basically erases entire heroes when played well.

RIP Junkrat 2016-2016

No tears were shed at this sad
amazing
news.

AbaFadi

Banned
I think D.Va is finally in a good spot. She wasn't very good at higher ranks, but now she's very viable. Nerf her and she'll go back to being useless. She isn't that hard to take our of mech. If a McCree is smart enough he can kill D.Va first with a flashbang, fan and roll combo. She's also a big target and one of the first to get focused every team fight. Extra health allows her to survive a little bit longer instead of losing mech the first few seconds of the fight.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

RIP Junkrat 2016-2016

A convincing argument to keep dva as she is. :p

Zarya kinda sorta shits on him also anyway, not as much though.

Honestly though, I've always said at the start of the new patch that they should either give her the mobility or the health, not both.

Anne

THE NEW EU TEAM DEALS ARE PUBLIC

Misfits:
TviQ
Reinforce
Zebbosai
Nevix
Manneten
Zave

Rogue:
SoOn
Skipjack
uNKOE
Winz
aKm
KnOxXx

LG:
Kryw
Hidan
EISSFELDT
SPREE
SuperPlouk
Mineral

Those are definitely some teams.

Antiwhippy

Why are they doing it by country again?

What does this mean for envyus? They're kinda from everywhere but America. :p

Anne

Looks like Zebbosai is back to Lucio

Nope, they just said who is playing what.

TviQ + Manneten - DPS
Reinforce + Zebbosai - Tank/flex
Nevix + Zave - support

I have no doubt that they could swap Zebbosai/Nevix in and out of other roles though.

Anne

5KAsp1L.jpg

Apparently this already happened. Also yeah, Nevix is a crazy good DPS but his value on Ana/Zen is kind of hard to pass up :<

Anne

So looks like the big winners of this deal are Misfits. Most flexible team in EU with top heroes across the board. Rogue is looking like they could end up strong, they have more than enough raw FPS talent, bu their roster isn't as fleshed out. The LG roster isn't terrible, but they are the kinda mismatched team.

Biggest loser: Cooller, the Lucio from Misfits that played at DH, is out of a team.

Biggest biggest loser: IDDQD

Antiwhippy

Blues1990

The best part of this meta is when people instalock Soldier and still don't know how to shoot a Pharah.

Oh, don't get me started. Whippy and I had several matches where both the McCree and Soldier 76 players on our teams were incapable of taking down the enemy Pharah. Whippy had to use Ana to clip her wings.

Heropon

Today I wanted to use offensive heroes to train but ended having to do support again. I like it but if I keep filling holes in the team composition I'm never going to learn to use offensive heroes well enough. Maybe I should try Ana more to improve my aim at the same time that I heal?

At least people seemed to appreciate my work today. It was nice compared to how I got insulted once.

The best part of this meta is when people instalock Soldier and still don't know how to shoot a Pharah.

Oh, don't get me started. Whippy and I had several matches where both the McCree and Soldier 76 players on our teams were incapable of taking down the enemy Pharah. Whippy had to use Ana to clip her wings.

Hence why I either play S76 or Zen most of the time I'm not playing D.Va.

Is it so hard to ask someone to keep an eye on Pharah?

Today I wanted to use offensive heroes to train but ended having to do support again. I like it but if I keep filling holes in the team composition I'm never going to learn to use offensive heroes well enough. Maybe I should try Ana more to improve my aim at the same time that I heal?

At least people seemed to appreciate my work today. It was nice compared to how I got insulted once.

I played QP multiple games until I learned heroes well enough. Still do sometimes to warm up.

Also see this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjrE-WzYt5g

Sometimes filling isn't the best. But if I'm solo queuing with a 4/5 stack, I fill in because I know they won't be communicating with me so much as each other.

Antiwhippy

I probably could still better though honestly. She shut me down just as much as I shut her down and I honestly should be shooting her out of the air more.

But yeah, those soldiers eh.

Skii

Man I can't even carry KOTH with Reaper anymore. Soldier just chews me up across the map before I can even deal with the Winston. Guess I'll need to accept my place as the support/tank on KOTH as well :(

Feelsbadman.

Ugh, yeah, I finally had to pick McCree in one match a few nights ago because nobody, especially not the Soldier on our team, was doing anything to keep the enemy Pharah from running roughshod all over us. Only problem is I'm a terrible McCree, and I'm sure the rest of the team were cursing out both of us along the way even though they weren't doing a damn thing to stop her, either.

caesar

Banned

Just play whatever you want in quick play, or go into competitive like I said. You have nothing to lose and you will improve quicker.

Man I can't even carry KOTH with Reaper anymore. Soldier just chews me up across the map before I can even deal with the Winston. Guess I'll need to accept my place as the support/tank on KOTH as well :(

Feelsbadman.

Reaper is trash without Lucio speed now. Abuse DVA, viable in every composition on every map lul.

Antiwhippy

Just play whatever you want in quick play, or go into competitive like I said. You have nothing to lose and you will improve quicker.

Reaper is trash without Lucio speed now. Abuse DVA, viable in every composition on every map lul.

I mean you should have lucio speed most of the time anyway.

I still don't think that DVa is quintessential for all situations. Self destruct still can't be compared to graviton, and winston is still a better aoe disruptor and his shield is probably way better for heroes like genji and tracer. I still think zarya is still pretty good but she can't deal with soldier as well as Dva.

Like my ideal tank balance is that rein and zarya is essential for pushes through chokepoints without a lot of access to high ground, and DVA/winston are for the high ground pushes/dive comps.

Delete roadhog.

Veelk

Banned
I mean you should have lucio speed most of the time anyway.

I still don't think that DVa is quintessential for all situations. Self destruct still can't be compared to graviton, and winston is still a better aoe disruptor and his shield is probably way better for heroes like genji and tracer. I still think zarya is still pretty good but she can't deal with soldier as well as Dva.

Like my ideal tank balance is that rein and zarya is essential for pushes through chokepoints without a lot of access to high ground, and DVA/winston are for the high ground pushes/dive comps.

Delete roadhog.

I still don't know what the actual counter to Zarya is supposed to be. Like, she's killable IF she's on her own. But if the player is good and playing with a good deal, I feel there is just no killing her because she protects herself and others while putting out stupid damage. Her only real problem is a long distance high damage outputter like Hanzo or Widow, but who plays them these days?

Skii

I need to practice Dva. I was DPS role but Soldier was taken so I switch Reaper to Genji and we lost anyway. KOTHs were basically guaranteed wins for me until S3.

Every comp even at my level is just Rein, Dva, Soldier and Ana. All guaranteed spots unless it's defence where Mercy will be used over Ana.

Heropon

I played QP multiple games until I learned heroes well enough. Still do sometimes to warm up.

Also see this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjrE-WzYt5g

Sometimes filling isn't the best. But if I'm solo queuing with a 4/5 stack, I fill in because I know they won't be communicating with me so much as each other.

Thanks for the video. I'm still relatively new and just playing quick play so "filling" is a way of choosing with what type of hero I'm going to practice. Thanks to that I have more practice with D.Va and Zenyatta by being being tank or support more often.

I'll try tomorrow then, I'm just a bit scared. Hope I don't ruin too many matches. :p

Antiwhippy

I need to practice Dva. I was DPS role but Soldier was taken so I switch Reaper to Genji and we lost anyway. KOTHs were basically guaranteed wins for me until S3.

Every comp even at my level is just Rein, Dva, Soldier and Ana. All guaranteed spots unless it's defence where Mercy will be used over Ana.

Which is dumb because even then ana is still better.

Skii

I still don't know what the actual counter to Zarya is supposed to be. Like, she's killable IF she's on her own. But if the player is good and playing with a good deal, I feel there is just no killing her because she protects herself and others while putting out stupid damage. Her only real problem is a long distance high damage outputter like Hanzo or Widow, but who plays them these days?

Zarya isn't too much of a problem for Soldier if you can keep distance. The problem is that if your team just isn't making space for you to deal with Zarya, she will always hide to regen shield. You need someone to actually get a pick so Rein can charge in and make space for people to dive Zarya. Reaper is a counter but he's bad this meta and you'd want to run Soldier over him 99% of the time.

Which is dumb because even then ana is still better.

Yup. almost all Mercy players at low levels have no idea how to res so there is absolutely no point for you to run her over Ana who can actually provide good DPS for the team.

caesar

Banned

Tracer, Soldier, Reaper, Roadhog. Plenty of heros are good at taking her out now.

Literally hold m1 and then occasionally fly around with m2 lul. God, I just hate Mercy so much what a useless hero.

Blues1990

I probably could still better though honestly. She shut me down just as much as I shut her down and I honestly should be shooting her out of the air more.

But yeah, those soldiers eh.

Hey, I still appreciate that you were able to take care of that stupid Egyptian UT knock off, so more treats for you.

Ugh, yeah, I finally had to pick McCree in one match a few nights ago because nobody, especially not the Soldier on our team, was doing anything to keep the enemy Pharah from running roughshod all over us. Only problem is I'm a terrible McCree, and I'm sure the rest of the team were cursing out both of us along the way even though they weren't doing a damn thing to stop her, either.

I'm more comfortable with playing Tanks and Support heroes, as it feels satisfying to protect my teammates than to go on a killing spree. (Though I do enjoy melting Roadhog when he's trying to be a dick to my Ana's and Lucio's.) But I do wonder if it's worth the time to learn to play Soldier 76 and McCree, as I can't do my job Tanking or Healing when getting torn apart with Pharah and her Necromancer henchwomen flying about.

I'm glad that I'm putting in the effort to practice with Zenyatta, as I can bounce back between taking care of tanks and Pharah, along with healing my teammates. Really, if our DPS are incapable of taking care of Pharah, then I have to switch to take a shot at it. :p

I'll try tomorrow then, I'm just a bit scared. Hope I don't ruin too many matches. :p

Don't feel too bad. Tell them you're there for practice or go into the Arcade version where anything goes.

You'll get more meme picks in the Arcade though.

But honestly, if someone yells at you for practicing in QP they should be in competitive.

I had the opposite yesterday, a Hanzo who insta picked on Eichenwalde defense and despite whiffing every ult and being kind of useless told me to "fuck off I don't care about winning."

Despite being in competitive mode.

I told him "Why not play QP then so you don't lose SR? Seems like a better plan than tilting the rest of your Comp team.

He then went Lucio on attack and we won handily. Wasn't even close to the shitshow that our defense was, even though we somehow held them to only two checkpoints.

So 2500 seems to be the sweet spot where 2700 was last season. Everyone tries their hearts out, people are nice about winning/losing, and the matches are just a blast. 2600 (2800 last season) is where the nastiness comes out.

My problem is that shield gets chewed through so fast that I don't know if I should go ham once it's down or wait for my team to lay in more poke.

I see a lot of top reins initiate once the shield is downbut I don't know if that's the best thing to do in pubs.

It all has to do with positioning. That's why you have to constantly be pushing forward towards the enemy Rein while your shield is still up. Keep the pressure up and make the enemy team respect you and give ground. If your shield is getting shredded, you need to take cover and let it recharge before you continue your advance. Like I said, it does recover faster if you don't let it get completely broken as well.

But if you aren't in the enemy Rein's face by the time your shield goes down for the push, you are likely going to go down quick. Going ham is based on the situation. If it's all squishies on the cart, go ham (esp if you have a healer with you). If you have a flanking Genji on, say Hollywood point A, and you hear his sword go off (assuming you haven't already lost 2-3 people)? Charge that point even if you have full barrier. The entirety of the enemy team will turn to focus the genji. Your job there is to instigate a fight as well and give them multiple targets to try to divide focus upon. You have to learn how to play to the calls as rein.

It's easy to watch pros and see how easy they make it seem to go ham, but what you don't really realize is the timing and reasoning behind it all.

Until you start to get that timing down, though, I'd recommend just holding up the shield and constantly pushing and repositioning, and only going ham when there is something in your face.

This is largely anecdotal, at higher SRs, DVA barely ever gets any big plays.
At higher SR's all it will ever be is earthshatter, and I'm okay with that :)

Top Bottom