• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

ohkay

Gotta love switching to healer for one round of koth, after losing the 2 previous ones, and ending up with gold in healing after that one round

MG310

Tonight's Comp games brought to you by leavers and lag. First time I've seen lag like this on PS4...seems to have stopped now but was bad for 2 games straight.

Trickster

Lmao, playing attack on anubis. Indirectly tell the widowmaker to switch so we can push properly. He actually does, we win the game within a minute after having bashed our heads against the point for 5 minutes

ISOM

Finally hit Diamond with a match that almost felt like a lost. Hit 3006 and have to thank D.Va for getting me over the top. Next is to get to Masters.

Lmao, playing attack on anubis. Indirectly tell the widowmaker to switch so we can push properly. He actually does, we win the game within a minute after having bashed our heads against the point for 5 minutes

This is like half the games I play lol. Someone always has to try to MLG noscope as Widow or Ana on attack.

Moonkeis

I was on a winning streak until the last match when I was grouped with a 4 man. Somehow I always end up the crap groups that don't communicate. 2 tanks (DVA/Win) that seem to think it's the supports job to defend the payload. -.-

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Depends really. Sometimes (most times really) it's better to follow your DPS/tank and support them in a team fight even if they do expand beyond the payload, because if you win the teamfight (sometimes in a better positioning than where the payload is atm), you buy time to push the payload as they are respawning. Meanwhile if you don't support them in the fight, they will most likely lose and you get forced off the payload anyway.

I was on a winning streak until the last match when I was grouped with a 4 man. Somehow I always end up the crap groups that don't communicate. 2 tanks (DVA/Win) that seem to think it's the supports job to defend the payload. -.-

Better than healers solely pushing the payload and not healing haha.

MG310

2 diffferent Widowmakers in a row. First Lijiang (2.5 rounds and then someone on my team immediately switched to her after they went to Rein) then attacking Route 66.

If anyone wants to group up PSN - MG310

Had a weird match on Gibraltar where the enemy just kind of forgot about the payload, they were sitting up top poking at us and time expired without them even noticing. Lucky, because we didn't even push it to the first point.

NeoRaider

I have many ppl from GAF on the list but they are barely inviting. (Some of them are on NA servers i guess) :(
And usually when i enter the game, ppl are already in the middle of the match and i don't want to bother them.

I wish i had friend or two to play Competitive with because playing solo queue 80% of the time can be frustrating and so bad. Many times it's ok tho. but some ppl are just too much.

Hey guys, I'm new to the game. Just started playing Ranked/Competitive. It's slightly frustrating playing with randoms, so how do I go about joining the Discord server?
I saw in the first post "Quote to see" but I'm sorry it didn't make any sense to me. My apologies.

Anne

Hey guys, I'm new to the game. Just started playing Ranked/Competitive. It's slightly frustrating playing with randoms, so how do I go about joining the Discord server?
I saw in the first post "Quote to see" but I'm sorry it didn't make any sense to me. My apologies.

Quote this post and you'll see a discord link in it. It'll be easy to find.

Quote this post and you'll see a discord link in it. It'll be easy to find.

Thank you very much. Just want to know one more thing. I'm not a very good fps player. Got ranked at 1600, so are there people here who'd be fine playing with someone of middling skills?

Anne

Thank you very much. Just want to know one more thing. I'm not a very good fps player. Got ranked at 1600, so are there people here who'd be fine playing with someone of middling skills?

Well, in comp probably not from my group. I know a few of us wouldn't mind bringing you into QP to learn and just hang out, but we wouldn't be able to queue comp cause SR limit.

QP is fine too. Even playing QP solo is like trying to bring down a wall by bashing your head against it. No one wants to play healer or tank apparently.

Antiwhippy

Got grouped up as a solo with 2 premades groups.

4 of them went hanzo/junkrat/mei/bastion.

Thinking to myself "Ah fuck"

Other guy left. Match cancelled.

Thank christ.

Being teamed up with premades is honestly just as much of a gamble as pure solo Qs.

Antiwhippy

Yay, another ana potg!

Just lifesaver though, but whatever. Also healed 31% of the damage on the assholes of my team because I was pretty much solo healing most of the time yet I only got 1 vote. :mad:

I've been playing almost nothing but Mystery Heroes since the Arcade opened up. Taking people's character-choices away makes the matches a lot more relaxed and easy-going. I wish the randomisation was a little more intelligent though. Sometimes the attacking or defending team gets unlucky a bunch of times in a row, making it impossible for them to have any momentum. Trying to avoid duplicate picks would also be welcome, since they are really common.

As a Zenyatta main I'd like to add to not hestitate to kick Genjis or Tracers in their face, it is very satisfying. I find Zenyatta great to stay a little bit more back and provide fire support, I'm always throwing my orbs towards the enemy side, also when peeking corners or initiating a fight prepare your right mouse charge as you might get a lucky hit or a ton of damage on tanks in a second.

I'd like to add in not to ignore his alt fire. If you're coming around a corner towards a choke point, unleashing his alt on an unsuspecting Mei or Junkrat will land more kills than you think. Also, I've gotten so many kills this way as soon as the spawn door opens on attack, usually a spam Junkrat :)

Good points.
I noticed that I almost never use his alt fire. Should definitely work on this.

How do you even remember these randoms' names? I forget them as soon as the match is over, even if they were toxic assholes during the match. I do remember someone called Genji, who was playing... you guessed it Genji. He got into a row with some other dude on the team and they started comparing their highest eliminations records and shitting on each other's play. I was playing Lucio (I think) and trying to keep these two jerkoffs alive while they were too busy trying to one up each other.

Antiwhippy

Because I'm playing with them right now. :p

I just needed to kill time in between waiting for the matches to start.

Also I find it weird how american politics somehow entered australian servers.

And they somehow all main Dva.

How do you even remember these randoms' names? I forget them as soon as the match is over, even if they were toxic assholes during the match. I do remember someone called Genji, who was playing... you guessed it Genji. He got into a row with some other dude on the team and they started comparing their highest eliminations records and shitting on each other's play. I was playing Lucio (I think) and trying to keep these two jerkoffs alive while they were too busy trying to one up each other.

When you see a man named BootyJazz, you never forget that shit.

Antiwhippy

Also had a pretty decent ana night I'd say.

TyECixT.png

Now you might think "god you're dying a lot", but I've been working on a theory I have about ana this season.

It's that ana is really good at enabling a lot of shitty plays.

Reinhardt or tanks in general charging in at a numbers disadvantage? Follow them, biotic grenade, sleep dart someone, enemy can't heal, your tanks can't die, so you generally win out.

DPS overextending.like crazy? Follow them, biotic grenade, sleep dart someone, enemy can't heal, your DPS can't die, so you generally win out.

It's been working out more often than not. It means I often die because I'm in shitty positioning (which I still must work on honestly), but usually if my team wins the fight it's worth it.

Which is why I'm not as sympathetic to healers who stay glued to the payload 24/7 and whine that their team isn't but you know what, your job isn't to support the payload, it's to support the team, and if your support can help your team win the teamfight generally means a free push on the payload. So even if your team is making shitty plays it's better to follow along and turn it into a good one. More often than not the support not doing so is what makes it a shitty play.

Though of course my theory could go to shit any day due to the lucky draw that is solo Q. :p

Also I still need to learn how to lay on more damage consistently.

It's that ana is really good at enabling a lot of shitty plays.

Isn't that kinda what every healer is designed to do to a certain extent? The ideal situation would be taking so little damage that a healer is unnecessary. Of course, that's probably not even remotely feasible for a human to pull off regularly, but all that matters to me is being technically correct.

Antiwhippy

Isn't that kinda what every healer is designed to do to a certain extent? The ideal situation would be taking so little damage that a healer is unnecessary. Of course, that's probably not even remotely feasible for a human to pull off regularly, but all that matters to me is being technically correct.

Yeah, I think so, I just find her kit hilariously overpowered in that sense.

Like pubs are real bad at dealing with anti-heal. They generally don't have another ana to do a counter grenade (playing against another ana is where I have the most difficulty), and their lucio usually don't think to speedboost to disengage. So that really stupid rein charge that should result in a reinhardt death 9 times out of 10 might result in them losing 3 people just from a swinging rein that just won't die. Like half the time I ult is to make sure our reinhardt doesn't die for nothing.

Biotic grenade is so good though, seriously.

Probably going to work less as I go to higher elos, but hopefully by then I don't actually have to try to follow along really stupid plays. :p

Also getting better at not panicking when I'm sleep darting ulting soldiers.

I finished up my 9th placement game last night; currently 6-2-1 in placements. I had some amazing supports on my team last night; I went 70-6 as D.va on Volskaya with 4 golds and POTG, and I felt really bad that the game didn't give more credit to our Ana who kept me alive in some crazy situations.

New D.va is nuts, by the way. I've been picking her whenever I can, and she just wrecks. That 100HP buff was way too damn much.

I have to say playing as support when your team sucks makes the game really boring.

I tried playing comp last night. First game. Played as Lucio. My team was utter crap.

I tried the heal best I could but, my God, my team sucked.

SO it was just me trying not to die and time passing.

I stopped after that first match.

I have to say playing as support when your team sucks makes the game really boring.

I tried playing comp last night. First game. Played as Lucio. My team was utter crap.

That's the Lucio problem. He's so good that he's a must-have, but he's boring as hell to actually play.

Antiwhippy

And with his healing nerf he's even shittier if you want to play as a healer to keep people alive.

Speed is ace though.

I've pretty much dropped lucio in favour of ana because of this, and also because ana is a crapton fun to play. I'd thought I'd move onto DVa because she was my main but a)people are instalocking DVa all the time and b)I'm super into playing ana nowadays.

This happens when you solo Q all the time. I would know coz that's how i always play and my SR has only gone down since I played my placement games.

I've pretty much dropped lucio in favour of ana because of this, and also because ana is a crapton fun to play. I'd thought I'd move onto DVa because she was my main but a)people are instalocking DVa all the time and b)I'm super into playing ana nowadays.

Ana is worth it for the Ultimate alone. Drop it on a guy who actually knows how to play Soldier and he can just annihilate the entire opposing team except for the tanks. I'm not really a very good shot, so I rarely play as snipers but with Ana, it's actually easier to heal, so it works out.

DVa is actually the only Tank I can play with any sort of competence. She's a lot of fun to play, but god damn do you need to remember where all the Health Packs in the map are placed, coz when you're zipping around disrupting the enemy team, you can sometimes end up with terrible positioning.

I also love playing Zenyatta, but due to my terrible W/L, I somehow feel like I play a terrible Zenyatta no matter how much I enjoy it.

Symphonic

Any sites listing stats for 1v1 or 3v3 yet? Been playing a lot of those between competitive games and would love to see where I stand.

Top Bottom