• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

ChanMan

I can play with you if you are on the PS4. My most used character is Lucio and I am still new and learning the game. If anyone wants to add me for some quick play action let me know.

PSN: Rammel29

Also I am free to play right now for about an hour or so.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
On a weird note, i thought my sr gains have started leveling out, because i got my usual 20-25 sr gain/loss the night before, and the game i severely underperformed in i got 19 gain. But last night i went 3-1 but got a net gain of 90 sr? The wins were 30+ gain and the only loss i had got me 7sr loss. I know it's not streak based either because the win i immediately got after the loss got me 32sr.

It was one of my consistently better ana performances last night, so i wonder if sr gain this season is weighted more towards rewarding personal performance.

I can play with you if you are on the PS4. My most used character is Lucio and I am still new and learning the game. If anyone wants to add me for some quick play action let me know.

I can tell you myself that he is not on PS4.

Feel free to add me though.

Blues1990

PC player, unfortunately. Sorry. :(

Man i really hate the people in this game sometimes.

Playing koth we have a standard 2-2-2 setup.
We take first round relatively easy.

Round 2. 1 dps and tank switch to hanzo and bastion

????

We start getting rolled.
Lose round

Bastion player leaves

Hanzo says gg

://////////////////////
I was actually tilted.

MrPanic

Hm, I think I lost my mojo with this game. I honestly don't feel like there's any difference in play from last season where I was nearly Diamond to now, but there goes my rank anyway.

Wr1i0w4.png

The worst part is that I basically can't group up with any of my friends anymore, Overwatch has become sad times for me honestly.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Took a break from Overwatch think I'll check back in
3 tanks still rolling over everyone

nevermind will come back when the game's fun again

Nimby

Banned
A Mei that knows how to use ice wall and has Blizzard every 5 seconds is my favorite (and least favorite) thing in OW.

Hey guys, so this is really weird and am wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

Whenever I go into training my ping is hovering at 234ms, which is SUPER high, usually it hovers around 40ms. Playing just last night my ping was fine. Now, all of the sudden my ping is through the roof. Anyone else had this problem?

Other games are fine, ping wise, its just Overwatch.

Edit: Figured it out! It was putting me in a low priority server in Practice Mode. I solved it by loading a custom game and then waiting for my ping to reset in there. For some reason that worked. Hope this helps someone else down the road.

Antiwhippy

Took a break from Overwatch think I'll check back in
3 tanks still rolling over everyone

nevermind will come back when the game's fun again

The thing is barely anyone runs triple tanks at lower levels. The times i did i rolled the match pretty much but lower elo is still just 222.

Yesterday we seem to have a triple tank forming and someone said "we don't need 3 tanks".

I can't help but sigh.

Paltheos

The thing is barely anyone runs triple tanks at lower levels. The times i did i rolled the match pretty much but lower elo is still just 222.

Yesterday we seem to have a triple tank forming and someone said "we don't need 3 tanks".

I can't help but sigh.

Not all elos can effectively run triple tank. I've been in games where one side is running triple tank + soldier and not advancing because the enemy supports aren't falling. Maybe the problem was just running soldier and not having a flanker but idk.
Clearly the problem is they weren't running Mei.

Nimby

Banned

I can't help but sigh.

Every time we've tried triple tank, one of the other tanks (usually the Rein because who the fuck needs him?) switches off. The other team is usually running it tho, and they've got a Rein and a 120% hook accuracy gold gun Roadhog that I've discorded for half the game but no one seems to care.

Diamond still frustrating, but teams work a lot better even without comms I've noticed.

Not all elos can effectively run triple tank. I've been in games where one side is running triple tank + soldier and not advancing because the enemy supports aren't falling. Maybe the problem was just running soldier and not having a flanker but idk.
Clearly the problem is they weren't running Mei.

The main issue with triple tanks is A) Movement and B) Damage Output.

Like you said, a good flanker can handle B), but you lose some movement option by not having Lucio. Lucio can handle A) but can't exactly burst heal like Ana can.

Ana used to be able to handle A) but now her AOE heal burst and denial with Biotic Grenade is more than enough to make the comp work.

If you lack a Lucio though, it'll be a tough time moving in unless you get a couple picks in quick succession.

D.Va, Rein, Hog, S76, Ana, Lucio is an amazing comp.

S76 having Biotic Field just makes sustain way too easy.

Problem is, you have people too afraid or not paying attention enough to move in.

Example, Hanamura point B I kill 3 at the point and start to cap it as D.Va. They switch to Mei / Tracer / Reaper so I couldn't manage them by myself, and no one else moved in during their respawn times.

S76 told me "I was shooting them on the upper part I didn't want to die on the point." When his Biotic Field would've made for much better trades. Our Ana was up there with him and not healing the point either.

Like, if you wipe half the team, put some pressure on the point. Sometimes you see an opening and you need to just walk in.

Anne

On PC Masters and even down into Diamond are overrun by mostly trip tank. If it isn't trip tank it's 2/2/2 with like Soldier/Genji or something. QP with the higher MMR area is also mostly triple tank as well.

Not every team running some form of it is unstoppable, I'll play 2/2/2 or trip DPS into it even, but boy is it starting to just get obnoxious to deal with. I do think the more coordinated teams doing it right now are at a significant advantage though.

It's kind of weird how quickly this team was established, but then you look at S2 Ana meta team. Ana was insane and we knew it, but we had Reaper/Mei to at least stop it. Now that we don't and D.Va is a monster I'm struggling to come up with a team that has a strong match up. The Misfits team is okay, but it introduces a lot of weaknesses that trip tank comps can play into, most notably that it can get shutdown by alternate DPS slots.

_Legacy_

Man, I've had the shittiest luck today. 6 solo queue comp games and 6 losses. Some real idiot team mates, had a Zarya ulti just to kill a Soldier, Rein "panic" switch to Sombra and costing us, etc. What is wrong with randoms today? I've lost 300 SR because of this shit. Why do I never get the randoms that always seem to be on the other team? Makes no sense.

NeoRaider

Been forced to play support for five games, typical comp day it seems, with toxic players and everything.

CyKTkj3UoAAV5Vd.jpg

I am actually enjoying playing Mercy and Ana. I never was support player, only when i need to fill the role or like you wrote when i was "being forced". But i am having fun playing Ana and Mercy... for now.

I am doing more than 25k with Mercy and for me, that is amazing. In 2-3 matches i even got compliments for Ana and Mercy play, lol.

Anne

While I'm groaning, I'm starting to cave into not wanting Mercy on my team anymore. I still don't think she is bad, but compared to Lucio/Ana she is a huge liability to teams that want picks. Zenyatta is honestly in a similar boat, but thanks to his damage he can get out of some situations. Unless a team is consciously building to pick him he's (mostly) fine. You don't have to build a team to pick Mercy, it just kind of happens :T

Crazy thing about Ana/Lucio atm is they basically aren't liabilities in any situations when played together. Both have incredible survivability.

Antiwhippy

Yeah I'm never thrilled to have a mercy on my team, but whatever, I'd rather people play something they're familiar with and someone who knows how to mercy can still do some work.

My problem comes from people who are forced to heal, and they always pick mercy and turn into a big liability. If they just want to do easy heals a lucio is much better honestly.

She needs something more though. She's pretty much a resbot atm which is fine I guess, but not what I would consider good character design.

NeoRaider

Yeah I'm never thrilled to have a mercy on my team, but whatever, I'd rather people play something they're familiar with and someone who knows how to mercy can still do some work.

My problem comes from people who are forced to heal, and they always pick mercy and turn into a big liability. If they just want to do easy heals a lucio is much better honestly.

I prefer Mercy over Lucio. I think that Ana + Mercy can be great combo. Mercy's Ulti can be a game changer many times.

Yeah, with Mercy positioning is actually super important. Whereas for Lucio, you can go just about wherever as long as you aren't stupid about it. Mercy takes a lot more skill to play well to the point of not being useless or a liability than most people think.

I prefer Mercy over Lucio. I think that Ana + Mercy can be great combo. Mercy's Ulti can be a game changer many times.

Yeah, but Lucio's will keep you from needing the rez to begin with. Keeping your team alive is better overall than forcing them all to die in hopes that you can revive them for another fight. It's much easier to stop Mercy's ult or pick her off in a fight than it is to take Lucio out of the fight.

NeoRaider

Problem with Mercy is that she is easy target if not protected. And enemy team is usually focusing you a lot. So yeah you really need to know how to play and have a tank protecting you.

Antiwhippy

That's what I mean, if you know how to play mercy that's fine. It's the ones who clearly didn't put in anytime in learning how to be a support who pick mercy as an easy healer. She's really not that easy,

NeoRaider

That's what I mean, if you know how to play mercy that's fine. It's the ones who clearly didn't put in anytime in learning how to be a support who pick mercy as an easy healer. She's really not that easy,

She is not, true. You need to know what to do and be very careful. I always liked her but like i said i never was healer in this game. Now i am becoming much better with her.

And i know exactly what you mean and i agree. Out of 5 support healers she seems like easiest hero to play for many ppl and players that actually never heal, and that's just wrong in so many ways.
These ppl usually end up being killed more than 10 times in one match and doing less than 8k healing.

Anne

Even if you play Mercy well, if she is going for rez she is out of the mfght making it effectively 5v6. With teams spending less resources per fight her ult is less valuable. Teams will also just hold resources for post rez so they can set up a better fight after they win the 5v6. None of this even mentions the fact that if a team gets staggered or Mercy gets dove things get rough fast.

I agree Mercy/Ana was a pretty strong duo before. Mercy pocketing something is still good, rez still can win fights when played well, etc. It's just like as time goes on it gets easier to play around, meanwhile something like Ana/Lucio just gets harder to deal with. The only times I'd pick Mercy these days are on offense where you have like a Pharah snowball set up or something similar. I do think if there was more room for comps like that Mercy might see some use. Again, she's not all that bad. There are extremely few outright bad characters. Just the current strats we see make it so she is way harder to pull off and usually suboptimal.

cyborg009

Banned
Hm, I think I lost my mojo with this game. I honestly don't feel like there's any difference in play from last season where I was nearly Diamond to now, but there goes my rank anyway.

The worst part is that I basically can't group up with any of my friends anymore, Overwatch has become sad times for me honestly.

don't worry i fell from 2800's to 1900's to prevent this just take breaks and don't play on weekends...

Antiwhippy

Even if you play Mercy well, if she is going for rez she is out of the mfght making it effectively 5v6. With teams spending less resources per fight her ult is less valuable. Teams will also just hold resources for post rez so they can set up a better fight after they win the 5v6. None of this even mentions the fact that if a team gets staggered or Mercy gets dove things get rough fast.

I agree Mercy/Ana was a pretty strong duo before. Mercy pocketing something is still good, rez still can win fights when played well, etc. It's just like as time goes on it gets easier to play around, meanwhile something like Ana/Lucio just gets harder to deal with. The only times I'd pick Mercy these days are on offense where you have like a Pharah snowball set up or something similar. I do think if there was more room for comps like that Mercy might see some use. Again, she's not all that bad. There are extremely few outright bad characters. Just the current strats we see make it so she is way harder to pull off and usually suboptimal.

I curious to know who you consider outright bad characters. :p

The other huge thing about Mercy rez is that it actually fucks the ult economy in the enemy team's favor, because you are throwing at least 1-1.5k damage worth of ult charge at them before the real fight even begins. So even if they didn't have ults for the first fight, they will likely have at least one to fight the rez. And what do you do then?

Anne

I curious to know who you consider outright bad characters. :p

Atm I think the only characters I would just file under "need more than a meta change to be good" are Symm and Bastion. Symm is getting reworked, and Bastion at least has a couple gimmicks. Over time though I think they will end up straight unpickable without some work. Again, symm is getting that rework. For BAstion, it is entirely possible things appear to make his immobility less of an issue, but ehhhhhhh.

Everybody else I think has viability in various places. The reason why the meta is lopsided isn't because those characters are bad. It's because the top tier strats over the course of the game have either been extremely powerful or exclude certain characters outright. Like Junkrat isn't terrible, it's just the last two major patch cycles have made strats appear that he just doesn't work against.

I do think over time though certain characters (read: Mercy) will have trouble keeping up with all the utility that is being added into the game. That's pretty typical in a lot of genres though.

BigDug13

I can't help but sigh.

Triple tank really needs a good Ana. Without that specific character it kinda falls apart doesn't it?

Triple tank really needs a good Ana. Without that specific character it kinda falls apart doesn't it?

Yes. Mercy is too much of a pocket and Lucio / Zen can't burst heal as much.

But Lucio is typically picked over other supports to go with Ana for the speed boost and AoE healing.

Basically, the tanks with armor and bulk can shrug off 60-100 damage and then the AoE / focused heals keep them topped up.

Then speed boost Lucio ult into Nanoboost and clean up shop.

Zen might see more use if it comes down to killing the other team more, but speed is so valuable in comp matches.

Top Bottom