• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Shouta

Junkrat is pretty bad against Zarya though.

Generally speaking, yeah. Triple tanks is usually D.Va/Hog/Rein for the ones I've run into though. It'd be working with Mei in this situation to separate tanks to burn them down (freezing then nades, of course) or in some cases to ult over walls or from different angles to get people. It works pretty well when things click but yeah, it has its own problems.

Currently 2-1. Game I just lost had an attack torb on hanamura and a passive aggressive Genji who spammed "thanks" when we lost. I don't know why people do these things.

AbaFadi

Banned
That player could be a masters lvl player with other heros. You don't really know. Your point may not be entirely wrong but I would hold off on saying that someone doesn't belong there based off one hero.

Nope, first two seasons guy was a Pharah main exclusively lol.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
With the way they've set it up with the rank inflation is theoratically to make it more forgiving initially and calibrate down if the SR gets too high. I think we're just in the calibration phase atm? Who knows though.

papasmurf1038

Neo Member
She's pretty much a resbot atm.

I hear this claim come up a lot about Mercy but I really don't feel like it's the case? When I'm playing my best I hardly ever use Rez, as her sustain is generally good enough to keep the whole team alive. The recent buff to her self-healing allows her to stay in the thick of the fight doing work even when she does have Rez, and lets her kite flankers around more or less indefinitely to make them easy targets for the rest of the team to focus down.

Like, obviously Ana has more utility, and I'm not gonna argue that she isn't better on paper than Mercy is. But their survivability is on par, and in practice Mercy's healing is better, with Overbuff showing 99th percentile Mercy players doing about 25% more healing than 99th percentile Anas even on PC.

The reason Mercy is such a sketchy pick most of the time, I think, has less to do with her lack of utility and more to do with the fact that her mobility tool's value is super dependent upon the positioning of her teammates. When your team is spread out, the ability to retreat or flit away to higher ground at a moment's notice keeps the short effective range of her beam from being a liability. But because clustering your team together to make an organized push on an objective defines most of the game outside of Defense rounds on Payload and 2CP, most of the common situations in the game leave Mercy without any good escape options and make her too vulnerable to focus fire.

TLDR: I think Mercy is actually pretty good on Defense! But she's outclassed elsewhere.

Help, Sombra is my favorite hero now, but I don't dare play her in comp. :(

I had that mentality for awhile with Ana.

Did great with her in QP and got comfortable with her, but never tried her in comp till a long time later. Once I did though things fell into place fast and she quickly became a full main.

Antiwhippy

Like, obviously Ana has more utility, and I'm not gonna argue that she isn't better on paper than Mercy is. But their survivability is on par, and in practice Mercy's healing is better, with Overbuff showing 99th percentile Mercy players doing about 25% more healing than 99th percentile Anas even on PC.

That 1% covers a wide range though, the top ones aren't that far off with each other when it comes to healing done.

https://www.overbuff.com/players/pc/GaleAdelade-1452?mode=competitive
https://www.overbuff.com/players/pc/EeveeA-1716?mode=competitive

Look at all that other utility ana does though.

Also that is a weirdly low amount of elims for someone considered 2nd best mercy.

papasmurf1038

Neo Member
Noticed the triple tank discussion. One of the lesser played combos that works really well - given good coordination and players - is Genji + Zenyatta. Genji deals around 200 damage per burst if he lands headshots (pretty easy against the tanks), has the speed to deal with Ana from the backline, and can basically just walk away from the enemy team with his deflect up when he needs to get out.

Help, Sombra is my favorite hero now, but I don't dare play her in comp. :(

"Just one pick and then I'll switch."

You're forgetting a key piece of the puzzle though. Ana may have less healing (we can make that assumption, but at higher ranks I think that would be wrong as well) but she has more healing when it matters. Ana's burst healing is second to none. You toss the grenade, spam darts into them, and Voila. Mercy can't even heal that quick and most of the meta - especially with Soldier in it - demands burst healing to counter burst damage. Aside from that, Ana's grenade is the most powerful ability in the game. 100 healing instantly along with doubling Lucio healing is insane. Throw in the fact that it deals 60 to enemies and you have something crazy. But the last part of the effect, the heal blocking, is a big part of what kills Mercy in Diamond to GM ranks. For 5 seconds you can make Mercy almost useless - or at least less useful than any Support not named Symmetra.

Gurrry

Anyone know when we are getting the group feature? Its so rare that I get a good group these days that when I do I want to keep them forever.

cyborg009

Banned
Some dude on my team was raging on about how much we suck and was screaming into the mic. Then next game I queue up I'm playing against him on temple of Anubis. We only got the first point but couldn't cap the second(he was talking shit on the chat). So we went bastion on defense with only lucio as the main healer and me playing Symmetra and freaking REKT them. The dude rages and leaves the shit before we could get our shit talking in.

I don't really know what to do, need some advice. Ever since the arcade mode dropped, I have been losing TONS of games. I consistently do well when I play, usually play average to best on team. I always have at least two gold medals and I always make sure to strive for most objective time as one of them.

But I just don't get it. I have played 40 ish games with my cousin over the past 7 days. We have only won 4. Can't win competitive games, can't win arcade games, even no limits. Play seriously, lose. Play for fun in something like all brawls, lose.

I am just at a lost for words, and I just don't understand how I am consistently getting paired up with incompetent teammates. In no limits, offense kings row. 5 people pick ana. Like why? Defense, Watch point, 5 Sombras.

The games my cousin and I won ironically are the ones where I did practically nothing to contribute. I would get so sick of losing 4+ in a row, I would just be a shit Hanzo and try to be some pro. We will still win while I was goofing off.

Anyone have advice or something? I am thinking a long break is the best option. I personally don't think it's me, but maybe it is, I don't know. My W/L ratio is 40%. I want to win sometimes and it just never seems to happen.

DevilDog

I don't really know what to do, need some advice. Ever since the arcade mode dropped, I have been losing TONS of games. I consistently do well when I play, usually play average to best on team. I always have at least two gold medals and I always make sure to strive for most objective time as one of them.

But I just don't get it. I have played 40 ish games with my cousin over the past 7 days. We have only won 4. Can't win competitive games, can't win arcade games, even no limits. Play seriously, lose. Play for fun in something like all brawls, lose.

I am just at a lost for words, and I just don't understand how I am consistently getting paired up with incompetent teammates. In no limits, offense kings row. 5 people pick ana. Like why? Defense, Watch point, 5 Sombras.

The games my cousin and I won ironically are the ones where I did practically nothing to contribute. I would get so sick of losing 4+ in a row, I would just be a shit Hanzo and try to be some pro. We will still win while I was goofing off.

Anyone have advice or something? I am thinking a long break is the best option. I personally don't think it's me, but maybe it is, I don't know. My W/L ratio is 40%. I want to win sometimes and it just never seems to happen.
It's you.

Charging straight in every time?
Yep! We were defending eichenwalde right at the end and he stepped outside of the castle (the doors were already shut) to ult and get kills instead of staying with the team.

???

In positive news... first comp season ever, went 8-2 in placement and got 2792! I'm so happy :D

papasmurf1038

Neo Member
Ana's burst healing is second to none. You toss the grenade, spam darts into them, and Voila. Mercy can't even heal that quick and most of the meta - especially with Soldier in it - demands burst healing to counter burst damage. Aside from that, Ana's grenade is the most powerful ability in the game. 100 healing instantly along with doubling Lucio healing is insane. Throw in the fact that it deals 60 to enemies and you have something crazy.

Oh absolutely, the burst healing Ana can put out on tanks is bonkers and extremely handy in facilitating pushes. For keeping tanks propped up she is unquestionably the best. Burst healing is less relevant when it comes it comes to keeping squishier heroes in the thick of it though, as their small health pool means they can die within the space of the grenade's travel time or a couple missed darts. Mercy's consistent heal and the better angles of attack her mobility offers give her the edge in keeping 200 HP heroes (flankers especially) alive in a lot of situations.

But the last part of the effect, the heal blocking, is a big part of what kills Mercy in Diamond to GM ranks. For 5 seconds you can make Mercy almost useless - or at least less useful than any Support not named Symmetra.

I mean, an enemy Ana's healing would also be blocked in a situation like you're describing where you've hit the enemy team with a grenade. Both of them are equally useless healers in that situation, leaving Ana with better crowd control and Mercy with better DPS and mobility tools. Having the heal block to apply to the enemy team obviously adds a bunch of utility, but the opportunity cost is that you have to give up both Ana's self-heal and her clutch burst healing for 10 seconds to take advantage of it, leaving Mercy the better healer by far until it comes off of cooldown.

Again, I'm not arguing that Mercy is better than Ana, just that she's pretty decent on Defense.

I mean, an enemy Ana's healing would also be blocked in a situation like you're describing where you've hit the enemy team with a grenade. Both of them are equally useless healers in that situation, leaving Ana with better crowd control and Mercy with better DPS and mobility tools. Having the heal block to apply to the enemy team obviously adds a bunch of utility, but the opportunity cost is that you have to give up both Ana's self-heal and her clutch burst healing for 10 seconds to take advantage of it, leaving Mercy the better healer by far until it comes off of cooldown.

Again, I'm not arguing that Mercy is better than Ana, just that she's pretty decent on Defense.

Mercy can also increase damage while they're locked out of healing. So you can still buff them up and switch to heal as soon as the effect has faded. Anna is a pain when I Mercy, but it's nothing crazy. I'm not that high up though so I'm sure that will change.

ohkay

Straight up, anti-heal >>>> damage buff.
Mhmm. Played a match today on Hanamura where I was Ana, and my team was clumped behind our Rein's shield. After it broke, the enemy Ana tossed a nade at my team, hitting pretty much everyone, and they just melted because I couldn't heal them. The other team then proceeded to easily capture the point.

Mercy's damage boost would never be able to enable something like that

Antiwhippy

The only way to counter that is to throw in your own grenade so the other team can't heal either. Then it just turns into who has the advantage/better death matching skills.

There's really no other counter except for zarya's cleanse. Or hope that Dva eats it.

cyborg009

Banned
I absolutely despise junkrat players.... We need a second healer he stays junkrat....He was even in teamchat too.

edit: yep I'm done with overwatch for a while...

Antiwhippy

No, that's definitely not how it worked.

It'll be real abusable if it's the other way round. Just have a fall guy and nobody loses SR.

ohkay

The only way to counter that is to throw in your own grenade so the other team can't heal either. Then it just turns into who has the advantage/better death matching skills.

There's really no other counter except for zarya's cleanse. Or hope that Dva eats it.
Their Rein still had his shield :/

Veelk

Banned
I am never going to leave 2700 hell. The moment I reach 2800, the game immediately goes "OOH, HE NEEDS TO BE PUT IN THE BIG LEAGUES NOW!" and ranks me against whole teams even though I'm soloing.

Antiwhippy

Heh, I'll be glad if i can reach 2700 hell again, which was my career high.

I dunno, i don't really find being stuck at a certain elo as hell really. Even the times where i dipped toes into Silver. You either improve our you don't.

Still can't win a single fucking game in arcade mode to save my life. I just don't get it.

Comp can be super stressful but at least I don't feel like I'm constantly getting put in terrible teams.

By the way, I main Mei/Junkrat, and if someone's passive-aggressively spamming Thanks after dying, it's probably me.

Fell free to hate my guts

Because I'm an asshole and it's a way for me to let go of some of the stress. Most of the time it's my own fault obviously.

I never block my teammates with ice wall though so there's that ?

caesar

Banned
Still can't win a single fucking game in arcade mode to save my life. I just don't get it.

Comp can be super stressful but at least I don't feel like I'm constantly getting put in terrible teams.

By the way, I main Mei/Junkrat, and if someone's passive-aggressively spamming Thanks after dying, it's probably me.

Fell free to hate my guts

Sorry but isn't this known as 'not being good'? :p

Top Bottom