• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Diamond got and then some! Riding the Soldier train till the wheels fall off or he gets hit by the nerf bat.

It's kind of stressful maining him though. Comp matches in general are sweaty but when I'm on Soldier I feel like if I'm not slapping 24/7 I'm wasting my slot. I worry the higher I go I won't be able to play much besides Lucio or Ana in the event my Soldier isn't cutting it because my tank skills on someone like Hog/Rein have atrophied lol.

At the same time I wanna see how high I can get and I think if I goof at my rank with mediocre tank play I'll never reach my highest potential this season D:

Edit* So at what rank does Triple Tank really come into play? I'm currently at 3160 but I've only seen that set up once so far in my climb from 2500 and I think it was at somewhere between 2600-2700 so it was a while ago lol. I imagine soon there's a pretty hardline between those that run it successfully and those that fail at it/run the old 2x2x2, maybe a bit before Master?

Anne

Bumbletron and I got masters tonight on both his account and my group account. Yay. Don't let him tell you I carried him :p

Took 33 games. 23-10. Placed at 2980~

My friend and I did our 10 placement matches together last night.

I ended at the high end of gold. He got the high end of bronze.

It seems so odd to me that. If your basing people's score on how they've performed previously then why even bother with placement matches to begin with?

It seems so odd to me that. If your basing people's score on how they've performed previously then why even bother with placement matches to begin with?

I dont think they are though. I was gold and placed low silver. Still slowly climbing my way up to where I used to be.

Started the season at 1606 and now I'm down to 1398. Some of it was my fault, but every time I've had a decent team, I've managed to play somewhere in the vicinity of decent to great. It always seems like the other team is working in unison while most of the time, the team I'm on has people going back into the fight on a staggered respawn. I don't understand why people don't get that going in one by one is a death sentence.

I didn't even play Competitive today, just practiced with Ana in QP, but not once in my 3 hour play session did I meet a team who was willing to play cohesively. The wins were all flukes, imo. Why the fuck does everyone want to play the Attack or Defence characters? I kept requesting for an extra Tank and Support, but no one switched even once.

I didn't even play Competitive today, just practiced with Ana in QP, but not once in my 3 hour play session did I meet a team who was willing to play cohesively. The wins were all flukes, imo. Why the fuck does everyone want to play the Attack or Defence characters? I kept requesting for an extra Tank and Support, but no one switched even once.

Tank/Support characters aren't focused on getting kills, but rather more team utility, so those are understandably not super desirable roles to play for most people.

I'm willing to play whatever the team needs, but I almost always go with Offense/Defense over anything else, given the choice.

Anne

Yeah, nobody wants to play anything but DPS all the time. I actually didn't want to be a DPS player when the game first came out. I wanted to focus on utility heroes like Mei and pick up some tanks and occasionally DPS. Then I found out my mechanics were much better than my friends and I could carry like crazy on Soldier. I played with groups like that for so long I just became a DPS main :v although I still do gravitate towards Mei a lot >_>

Yeah, it's fine if you want to play DPS and can ACTUALLY play it competently. I'll admit that the only reason I play Support/Tank most of the time, is coz I know I suck at DPS characters. But, that's kind of the point isn't it? If you're playing Soldier or Widowmaker and the enemy Pharah is getting off her hail of justice rocket rain every damn time, it pisses me off that you'd even think that you're doing anything remotely helpful on the team. Just switch to a class that would probably help the team a bit more, because you're not contributing anyway.

I still do gravitate towards Mei a lot >_>

You're the devil! Mei and Genji are the two characters I find hardest to deal with, no matter what I play. It's almost become an unhealthy obsession with me to debuff those two if I'm playing Zenyatta or try to kill them first, the few times I do play Soldier or Junkrat.

Also, this happened tonight:

That's amazing... I can't play Rein for shit, so these kind of stats are doubly impressive for me. One thing I don't understand... What are those stars under the player portraits? I've been meaning to ask that for some time now.

Also, this happened tonight:

sIge0.png

Anne

You're the devil! Mei and Genji are the two characters I find hardest to deal with, no matter what I play. It's almost become an unhealthy obsession with me to debuff those two if I'm playing Zenyatta or try to kill them first, the few times I do play Soldier or Junkrat.

Yeah, Mei and Genji are two of my best heroes. They're both extremely useful to have in a DPS hero pool since they can be vital to map specific strats and have high play making impact.

Swords are fun btw

Yeah, nobody wants to play anything but DPS all the time. I actually didn't want to be a DPS player when the game first came out. I wanted to focus on utility heroes like Mei and pick up some tanks and occasionally DPS. Then I found out my mechanics were much better than my friends and I could carry like crazy on Soldier. I played with groups like that for so long I just became a DPS main :v although I still do gravitate towards Mei a lot >_>

Maybe it depends on what level you play at, because most people I've seen/met tend to gravitate primarily towards DPS, at least on console. I obviously know that's not the case for everyone. I even play with a few people regularly that main supports, but those are kinda few and far between in my experience.

Of course, even I have the occasional match where I just feel like playing Mercy.

Or Symmetra when I feel like embarrassing my team with gold elims.

Blues1990

Bad luck blues, we keep getting so close but then stumble at the last step. :(

It was due to that player that insisted that Tracer is the bee's knees on KOTH, despite doing well with Reaper when he switched. :/

You did great, along with the players we were paired with. No fault on your end.

Anne

Anecdotal, but getting into Master rn was easier than I thought it would be. I was pretty clearly ahead of almost every DPS player we ran into and got more than a couple "wow you are crazy" from my teams. I feel like it's a good thing that 3500SR is easier to get now, considering basically 4k+ was never used. Would be nice if the full range of SR actually got used.

Diamond in S2 I felt like could've been split into two tiers worth of players it was so varied what I saw out of them. Feel like the competent ones moved up while the eh ones stayed the same or moved down.

Edit: I do wish that the skill levels across the board were a bit more evenly distributed though. It kinda sucks that when I see somebody below Masters I have to guess on whether or not they know more than basics about the game. I guess that will fix itself in time.

Anne

Whew. Curcic usually plays tank. I wonder how he ended up on Soldier.

They were running trip tank at the start of the map, but I was actually straight winning 2v1s as Soldier against them and they couldn't get pushes going. I wanna say he was Roadhog and my team just frontlined while I got to take whatever fight I want. He eventually switched to Soldier and supported a dive on me, then ran it the rest of the map.

If Roadhog doesn't have the space to deal with Soldier life is rough and I get to just flex from advantage. Switching to Soldier gives the helix + ranged damage and that pressure was the correct decision at the time.

This is exactly why Genji is so difficult for me. He just zips around so quickly. I tried playing Genji once or twice, but his Swiftstrike and Ult are so disorienting for me, kinda the same reason I can't really play Tracer with any degree of competence.

These teleporting/super-speed characters' movement is very difficult for me to get a handle on, especially when I'm the one playing them. Playing against them, I can still predict where they're gonna zip off to next with around one in four chance of being right, but playing them at least halfway decently is going to take a lot more practice with them than I currently have.

maomaoIYP

Bumbletron and I got masters tonight on both his account and my group account. Yay. Don't let him tell you I carried him :p

Took 33 games. 23-10. Placed at 2980~
I'm surprised you only placed at 2980, I always thought you were a 4k+ player. Maybe there's hope I can reach masters this season.

ISOM

Even if you think that you got placed too low in placements, the ranking up in the beginning is so easy because of the amount of points they give you that you should rank up pretty easy if you don't belong in that tier.

Blues1990

Even if you think that you got placed too low in placements, the ranking up in the beginning is so easy because of the amount of points they give you that you should rank up pretty easy if you don't belong in that tier.

Not so much when you have teammates that can't pull their weight. The number of times when we had matches in the bag, someone on our team will refuse to change/get angry with his gold medals/will do something dumb and it becomes a struggle to win.

I'm fuming right now with how this season is. I just want to start off from my platinum rank and NOT deal with the stress of teammates that will purposely lose the game for us.

caesar

Banned
They were running trip tank at the start of the map, but I was actually straight winning 2v1s as Soldier against them and they couldn't get pushes going. I wanna say he was Roadhog and my team just frontlined while I got to take whatever fight I want. He eventually switched to Soldier and supported a dive on me, then ran it the rest of the map.

If Roadhog doesn't have the space to deal with Soldier life is rough and I get to just flex from advantage. Switching to Soldier gives the helix + ranged damage and that pressure was the correct decision at the time.

Pc and eu?

So I got the "rendering device has been lost" crash in the middle of two matches twice in a row and lost a combined total of 100 SR/40 minute ban for "quitting". I've pretty much lost the will to keep playing after this, as much as I love Overwatch. That or taking a break for a while.

So I got the "rendering device has been lost" crash in the middle of two matches twice in a row and lost a combined total of 100 SR/40 minute ban for "quitting". I've pretty much lost the will to keep playing after this, as much as I love Overwatch. That or taking a break for a while.

I got a crash yesterday just 10-15 seconds before the game was about to end. The worst part is that I was winning when that happened. :(

That, along with the selfish, toxic players I was getting matched with, was the reason I didn't even play competitive today. Overwatch can be really trying especially when in solo Q.

I was losing a bunch of QP games with some friends who sit in the 1800-2400 range normally, so I convinced them to switch to Rein/Road/D.Va/Lucio/Soldier with me as Ana.

We stomped the next three and barely lost the fourth after holding the first point of Hollywood into Overtime.

After that we went back to me maining Sombra and them picking whatever (Symmetra! Attack Torbjorn!) and honestly had more fun, even though we started losing again.

The meta sucks.

According to masteroverwatch Masters is the top 11%, not top 3% like last season:
http://masteroverwatch.com/leaderboards/pc/global
And for a moment I thought I was really good :p

Something I've been trying to keep in mind recently is that sites like MasterOverwatch don't necessarily represent the entire Overwatch playerbase or even a significant portion of it. According to MasterOverwatch I'm something like the 16,000th best player in North America, which is good enough to put me in the bottom 2% of Overwatch players. There have to be way more than 20,000 Overwatch PC players in the US.

Also, the sites will likely be biased towards high-performing players just because low-performing players are less likely to want to check their stats or even know that stat sites exist.

thenexus6

Bit annoyed my stats are bugged. On the PS4 and site it says i've only played 23 hours of quick play, which is completely off and been that for months now. I am kind of interested in seeing how much i've played really but I can't.

omgkitty

Finally hit level 25 last night so I can go through placement now. I've only played solo and am wondering if I should just roll with it or try to find some people on here to play with? I honestly have no idea how good I am. Is it weird for me to share my stats from something like Overbuff here? I guess they don't mean anything if you don't actually watch someone play.

Edit: Here's my profile on Overbuff.

Chance

Finally hit level 25 last night so I can go through placement now. I've only played solo and am wondering if I should just roll with it or try to find some people on here to play with? I honestly have no idea how good I am. Is it weird for me to share my stats from something like Overbuff here? I guess they don't mean anything if you don't actually watch someone play.

You can tell some stuff from it and it's not uncommon. Go for it.

NeoRaider

Why do i always get shitty teams with shitty picks??
Playing competitive can be so frustrating, because most of the time will you win or lose doesn't depend on you and you can't do anything about it. It's just bad.

Edit: Here's my profile on Overbuff.

Seems like you're pretty decent with D.va, who is great nowadays after the recent patch. You should do well in comp :)

I would try and get good with a couple others though, in case someone auto-locks D.Va before you

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Got my first real shot at playing Zen last night and rather enjoyed it. His alt fire is amazing, so you're almost a DPS but with support abilities. The only downside is that you're not really mobile so you're kind of boned if you're caught in a bad spot. So I stuck the main team for the most part and only moved up when I thought it was safe.

Feels great to predict when a Reinhart will drop his shield and throw a charged cluster of balls into his face, though. Too bad I can't seem to throw healing/debuff orbs while charging the alt fire.

Greddleok

Got my first real shot at playing Zen last night and rather enjoyed it. His alt fire is amazing, so you're almost a DPS but with support abilities. The only downside is that you're not really mobile so you're kind of boned if you're caught in a bad spot. So I stuck the main team for the most part and only moved up when I thought it was safe.

Feels great to predict when a Reinhart will drop his shield and throw a charged cluster of balls into his face, though. Too bad I can't seem to throw healing/debuff orbs while charging the alt fire.

The best is how there are SO many Widowmakers around. They all stand perfectly still so you can hide behind a wall to charge your alt fire, then pop out and hit them with all the balls to the face.

omgkitty

Seems like you're pretty decent with D.va, who is great nowadays after the recent patch. You should do well in comp :)

I would try and get good with a couple others though, in case someone auto-locks D.Va before you

Yeah I've messed around with a few others, but that's mostly been in Arcade. I've wanted to try Mei, but every time I have I get wrecked and immediately switch.

I just read this explanation of what happened with the MSI tournament - what a clusterfuck.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Competitiv...s_starts_in_less_than_10min_join_the/dawq8ec/

Stuff like this makes me super happy that Blizzard is going to be controlling Overwatch Esports starting next year.

Yep he's really unpleasant to watch. The way he talks to dude on his team he always blames for losing gets tiring as hell too. There's a reason Seagull is so popular. He's both great at the game and super nice and charismatic.

I'm guessing that's why IDDQD can't find a team right now.

Blues1990

Okay, can anyone here help me get to Platinum rank? I need a team that is more reliable than the people I'm getting paired up with when flying solo.

moerser

i was 26xx at the end of last season. my placements (5w2d3l) put me at 21xx. since then i only lost one match and am now at 273x. im really scared of the inevitable downward spiral that is the solo/duo queue.

I don't understand the point of being a troll. What sort of pathetic life has someone led that annoying others is how they have fun?

omgkitty

I don't understand the point of being a troll. What sort of pathetic life has someone led that annoying others is how they have fun?

We had a guy playing as Mei who was much higher level than anyone else who kept walling the door to the ship so we couldn't leave when the match started. I thought it was sort of humorous the first time, but he kept doing it when everyone spawned.

TheFuzz

Sooo I'm still working on quick play... but why do people NOT play the objective?

Four rounds last night I was DVa and the healer and no friggin clue what his role was. He kept buffing me with speed while I'm spamming "heal!" And skating the map dying while getting random kills.

The best time I've had is being a tank or a healer and when everyone sticks together. I've literally went with 21 kills and no deaths in a match where I was DVa, we had a Reinhardt and someone was playing Mercy and sticking to us like glue. It was a total massacre.

It amazes me that people don't realize that running into a field by yourself is suicide.

Top Bottom