• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Finally got around to watching the Play by Sound panel. That alone justified the price I paid for the digital Blizzcon pass. I could listen to the sound team talk about that game for hours.

MUnited83

For you.
I can see Sombra being used aggressively on defence to control multiple health points either around a choke point or the first control point. You get quite a bit of time to get them under control before the attackers can even leave the gates too.

Afaik on defense you can't hack them before the gates are open.

Tovarisc

Health pack control is going to be interesting for sure. Not having them pushing forward as the attacker is really tough unless you have good healers and even then your flankers will have a lot harder time staying alive.

I had a hard time adjusting last night. I'd always go to a health pack and find it hacked and then die lol

Even with good healers off-tank and assaults tend to pick up medkits as means of self healing and making load on healers easier, at least good ones do. Now these medkits being unusable for your team puts a lot load on healers, maybe even uncontrollable amount.

eek5

If you throw your tp with 10 sec until game starts you can run into the enemy spawn area and deny them 1 health pack then teleport out. Wait for your hack CD and then hack one of yours still, but yeah you can't hack during setup.

Even with good healers off-tank and assaults tend to pick up medkits as means of self healing and making load on healers easier, at least good ones do. Now these medkits being unusable for your team puts a lot load on healers, maybe even uncontrollable amount.

Yeah it's hard to tell what's going to happen. I know as dva I would probably rely on medkits for the majority of my healing. I got caught off guard a couple times last night going to med packs and finding they were hacked.

I can't really tell what is going to happen though, even in comp games people weren't picking healers but yeah I doubt the healers will be able to keep up with healing tanks and everyone else.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
She should only be able to hack one medkit at a time. That HAS to change. It is not only insanely powerful on defense but it's also just not fun. The rest of her kit can be looked at as we go but that is blatantly bad.

eek5

She should only be able to hack one medkit at a time. That HAS to change. It is not only insanely powerful on defense but it's also just not fun. The rest of her kit can be looked at as we go but that is blatantly bad.

I think something will change. It almost seems like you have to counter-pick sombra so that you can "protect" your medkits right now and the devs wanted to avoid that.

Tovarisc

Hard capping hacked medpacks to 1 and maybe even cutting duration from 1min to 30s would do wonders. It would still be very potent ability and you would want keep key medpack hacked, but it wouldn't snowball as much as it can now.

Prelude.

Yep. Her health pack hacking is way too broken, even for the PTR.

I wonder if people go towards maximum burst heal (Ana + Mercy) or keep doing 50-50 split of burst and slow AoE tick (Ana + Lucio).

If Lucio is still around after this we'll know that the pros weren't lying about him still being used if all he had was speed. That's literally all he'll be anymore.

99-100% match on first point of KOTH. Close but we barely missed it in Overtime. Team proceeds to change everything about the comp and the next two points we fail to take the point once because the entire team just keeps switching over and over every time they die and gaining no ult advantage.

I just don't understand.

Danj

Are there keyboard shortcuts you can use on the hero select screen? I want to try out Sombra on the PTR but because of the 1 hero limit on quick play I can't, and there doesn't seem to be a brawl with her in either.

Prelude.

Are there keyboard shortcuts you can use on the hero select screen? I want to try out Sombra on the PTR but because of the 1 hero limit on quick play I can't, and there doesn't seem to be a brawl with her in either.
Arcade/No limits.

Tovarisc

Go to Arcade => 6v6 mode in bottom right. That is live version of QP, hero stacking for days.

Ramirez

I'm PC. You rarely see Soldiers in ranked these days. Mostly Cree's, some random HanzoWidowmaker instalocker.

Well I mean, what I'm saying is, on console I would take a Soldier over a McCree who can't hit his shots. People get too locked into a certain way of thinking on console, just because it doesn't work on PC doesn't mean it won't work there.

Arcade 6v6 no limit mode, you'll definitely be able to use Sombra but it will probably end up being against 3 or 4 other Sombras and doesn't really give a sense of how Sombra is used.

Dreavus

I can see Sombra being used aggressively on defence to control multiple health points either around a choke point or the first control point. You get quite a bit of time to get them under control before the attackers can even leave the gates too.

IIRC you can't hack stuff during set up (unless that also changed), but starting at the most important one right as the match starts is probably good enough.

But yeah seems like strong defense. It puts a damper on backliner heroes who aren't going to be that close to their healers and rely on health packs when they get hit.

Kurumi

Lord have mercy. People on Overwatch sometimes.

Guy calling the team trash and talking about he did better than us because he got gold medals.....in the random hero brawl....

I could've sworn brawls were meant to be fun. Not let's get sweaty mode.

Tovarisc

Well I mean, what I'm saying is, on console I would take a Soldier over a McCree who can't hit his shots. People get too locked into a certain way of thinking on console, just because it doesn't work on PC doesn't mean it won't work there.

My intention wasn't to make Soldier sound like bad or unviable pick, no matter of platform. If it came across like that, sorry. Should have phrased better.

I know and respect potential of Soldier even on PC. My friend, who is quite good Cree, has lately preferred Soldier because he feels more consistent to play. He has been delivering it as Soldier and picking off targets from range just like you mentioned about him on console. Soldier can deliver, but because meta favors huge burst damage he just has started to fall in popularity.

Arcade 6v6 no limit mode, you'll definitely be able to use Sombra but it will probably end up being against 3 or 4 other Sombras and doesn't really give a sense of how Sombra is used.

3 or 4? What kind tryhard matches you have been playing? Last night I played few hours straight that was only 6 Sombra's vs 6 Sombra's :D

I'm trying to remember, but did anyone from Blizzard give a time period for when stuff is hitting the live server? I know everyone assumes 1-2 weeks, but considering Sombra went live with the (allegedly) experimental changes on the PTR, it would be sort of insane if they went, okay, here you go!

It makes sense to release it in that time period (especially considering Season 3 starts on the 1st), but man, they're doing a lot at once.

3 or 4? What kind tryhard matches you have been playing? Last night I played few hours straight that was only 6 Sombra's vs 6 Sombra's :D

Reminds me of Urien's launch in SFV, casual matches had mirrors almost all of the time but once in awhile you'd get some dude playing his high level Ryu, come on dude.

Fancolors

Well, there's that master level Torb main... he has a custom keybind to select as fast as possible.

KiraFA37

OOlHF9m.png

Feels bad.
Just had a game where I had most eliminations and most objecetive kills with Ana. 7 and 3 respectively. Solo queing as a support is a tough life.

Yea tell me, I was playing Hollywood yesterday and I got silver elims (23) as Lucio in the first 2 rounds. I have no idea how but we got that map into overtime 4 times, we still lost since our team wasn't that great. I have a feeling all the good players are currently playing Sombra on the PTR.

That graph is from masteroverwatch right?

Tovarisc

I'm trying to remember, but did anyone from Blizzard give a time period for when stuff is hitting the live server? I know everyone assumes 1-2 weeks, but considering Sombra went live with the (allegedly) experimental changes on the PTR, it would be sort of insane if they went, okay, here you go!

It makes sense to release it in that time period (especially considering Season 3 starts on the 1st), but man, they're doing a lot at once.

They have internal date for her release locked down by now, thanks to patch certing for consoles. Safe money is on 1-2 week window as they most likely want her out before Season 3 starts.

Blues1990

Lord have mercy. People on Overwatch sometimes.

Guy calling the team trash and talking about he did better than us because he got gold medals.....in the random hero brawl....

I could've sworn brawls were meant to be fun. Not let's get sweaty mode.

image.php

I hear you. I generally don't like playing with uptight players that take pleasure with trash talking. It's one of the reasons why I just mute the voice chat and turn off the text chat box if I'm in Quick Play or Brawl.

They have internal date for her release locked down by now, thanks to patch certing for consoles. Safe money is on 1-2 week window as they most likely want her out before Season 3 starts.

I can't play the PTR but how are the other changes they've made, does it seem likely that most/all of them are ready for the main server?

Jellie

Yea tell me, I was playing Hollywood yesterday and I got silver elims (23) as Lucio in the first 2 rounds. I have no idea how but we got that map into overtime 4 times, we still lost since our team wasn't that great. I have a feeling all the good players are currently playing Sombra on the PTR.

That graph is from masteroverwatch right?

Yeah masteroverwatch.
At least 23 for silver is decent. Most of them with Lucio is just hitting them once anyway.
7 Ana kills for gold (6 in the first round 1 in the second) is just appalling DPS.

Tovarisc

I can't play the PTR but how are the other changes they've made, does it seem likely that most/all of them are ready for the main server?

Pre-Sombra PTR was and is intended as long lasting experiment of balance. I don't don't expect most of it to come into Live along with Sombra and Arcade. They maybe or maybe don't tweak some Sombra's values, then take what was patched in this Monday and push that into Live.

Pre-Sombra PTR was and is intended as long lasting experiment of balance. I don't don't expect most of it to come into Live along with Sombra and Arcade. They maybe or maybe don't tweak some Sombra's values, then take what was patched in this Monday and push that into Live.

That's the answer I was expecting, which makes me wonder what the hell is up with Symmetra that forced them to delay it without even testing it anywhere. (aka there never were any Symmetra changes until recently)

I love jumping then Ulting then jumping again with Winston.
Ive started doing it ever since Miro did it agaisnt Australia so much fun. You get to objectives so fast :3

Skii

1v1 is really fun when it isn't tanks (except Reinhardt). Winston, Dva and Zarya are so fucking boring. It really is a game of chicken. Winston is all down to if you can land jumps, Dva is down to who's stupid enough to chase the other/use defence matrix and Zarya is down to not hitting the opposing Zarya when bubbled.

Damn man, my last 4 games have been lost because of people quitting. I haven't had to deal with that for a couple weeks.

Heh, it was nice while it lasted.

Baleoce

IIRC you can't hack stuff during set up (unless that also changed), but starting at the most important one right as the match starts is probably good enough.

But yeah seems like strong defense. It puts a damper on backliner heroes who aren't going to be that close to their healers and rely on health packs when they get hit.

Yeah you're completely right on that, just tried it out now. You can't hack until the game starts, although like you say, you can just wait at one health pack to hack it as soon as the round begins, and then with your teleporter set to take you straight to another one, hope they don't come for that second one you're at before the recast is up.

NimbusD

OOlHF9m.png

Feels bad.
Just had a game where I had most eliminations and most objecetive kills with Ana. 7 and 3 respectively. Solo queing as a support is a tough life.

Similar game last night. Had a winning streak in solo queue broken because I got put on a team w all soloers against a team of two three person groups. Of course we lost. And badly. Didn't help that no one was speaking in chat, but even with that I doubt we'd do very well. Dropped a shit ton too because it was my first loss in a while.

Boop emote confirmed! SOURCE

Why does it have to replace one? Just add more.

Damn, I just lost 54 points for a loss and I'm about to go below 3000. Fun.
I honestly can't believe your luck. When we grouped up I thought we would crush it because you are a master player with a 3200 SR. I never felt like our teammates were horrible, or our comps bad, but the other team just always felt so good, and would stomp us.

I went 0-3 with you yesterday and 4-1 solo and there was definitely a drop in quality of opponents when I was solo. I probably would've given up long ago if I were you. Stick with it though, your luck has to change at some point.

Jellie

Similar game last night. Had a winning streak in solo queue broken because I got put on a team w all soloers against a team of two three person groups. Of course we lost. And badly. Didn't help that no one was speaking in chat, but even with that I doubt we'd do very well. Dropped a shit ton too because it was my first loss in a while.

I've been droppging for the last two weeks steadily. Looked up my stats and the winrate was 50% over that period. It's just that I would go on loss streaks or lose just before a winstreak to reset it.

Top Bottom