• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
So... Sym is in every single game I play now.
I don't necessarily understand the players who pick them, but exclusively use teleporter on the 1st point. I think by and far the shield generator is much more crucial solely because it gives your team more survivability and if they can survive longer they can hold off the point longer. Though I can understand placing a teleporter down if you're the last person standing, but even then it usually results in teammates funneling and dying and 6 uses also diminishes its value.

Grisby

Oh wow, they changed Mercy's witch lines. "My servants never die!" Awesome.

Arcade mode is a big update, gives me hope that they may add some type of big pve junkrat thing in the future. Can you only get the several weekly win boxes in Arcade?

Tried Sombra for a bit and got a few kills. Her submachine gun has a nice sound to it, but does the recall just kind of fade out over time or can you destroy it? Also, is her ult for shutting down supers?

Heard Zarya got a nerf, but she still feels ok to me. Less damage though right? Did they mess with D'VA again because I felt like a monster playing her last night. Did way better than I ever do. She seems faster.

Jellie

Arcade mode is a big update, gives me hope that they may add some type of big pve junkrat thing in the future. Can you only get the several weekly win boxes in Arcade?

Tried Sombra for a bit and got a few kills. Her submachine gun has a nice sound to it, but does the recall just kind of fade out over time or can you destroy it? Also, is her ult for shutting down supers?

Heard Zarya got a nerf, but she still feels ok to me. Less damage though right? Did they mess with D'VA again because I felt like a monster playing her last night. Did way better than I ever do. She seems faster.

Loot for winning resets every week. 9 wins gets you 3 boxes.
The beacon is indestructible. Shuts down abilities and ults. Basically makes the enemy defenseless for your team to kill.
Her damage is the same. They made it harder to get charged up fully by reducing it from 50 to 40 per bubble and reinhardt no longer double hits the barrier. It's also easier to hit mobile enemies now as they reduced the damage but upped the tick rate so your hit registers faster.

Guys, new Symmetra was updated two days ago. Let's not be dramatic acting like she is forever taking over.

Forever taking over? No.

I'd just think god damned 3400+ ranked players would be smart enough not to run her in place of a Healer or when we are getting our shit wrecked and need an obvious counter. Also yeah whats with the lack of people using the Shield generator. Its REALLY good when its used well

caesar

Banned

The pve aspect I expect to be developed over the coming year.

Prelude.

I'd just think god damned 3400+ ranked players would be smart enough not to run her in place of a Healer or when we are getting our shit wrecked and need an obvious counter. Also yeah whats with the lack of people using the Shield generator. Its REALLY good when its used well
Yesterday I had a comp game with a Symmetra on defense on King's Row and she put the shield generator down on the last point, in the little room with a health pack. I felt like it would have been pretty useful if the team had another healer besides me. I'm not really sure why they decided to let me solo heal on defense (we almost lost) when we kinda stomped on attack with a 2-2-2.

Does anyone on gaf want to team up for competitive? I feel like I do a pretty good job but I'm usually playing with randoms so it's a coin flip if we win or lose.

Grisby

Loot for winning resets every week. 9 wins gets you 3 boxes.
The beacon is indestructible. Shuts down abilities and ults. Basically makes the enemy defenseless for your team to kill.
Her damage is the same. They made it harder to get charged up fully by reducing it from 50 to 40 per bubble and reinhardt no longer double hits the barrier. It's also easier to hit mobile enemies now as they reduced the damage but upped the tick rate so your hit registers faster.
Ah ok, the tick rate thing makes sense.

Suprised they added the extra loot box stuff. Not that I'm complaining, but yeah, suprised.
The pve aspect I expect to be developed over the coming year.
Yep. I feel like that's the one area where they could strike gold. Hell, of they wanted to do some sort of story mode then they could use that as a vehicle.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I've been trying to pool my heroes for Season 3 mostly so I can focus on them and improve on using them. I've got a strong grasp of every character fundamentally but none of the niches. I think its why I didn't perform as well as I would have liked in Season 1 & Season 2. I can't just pick one character wither or be like anyone on a team that's a 'support main(well probalby could)' or 'dps' main' since I'm solo queuing. I'm used to TF2 at higher levels where I just played Heavy because no one else would.

Sombra
Genji
Winston
DVa(only because of the reality of current Winston and current DVa in this environment. Otherwise I wouldnt touch her)
Lucio
Maybe Torb or Symmetra depending on the SR.

But even that seems a little high. And I don't have a 'pure' DPS in there like McCree or 76 since I frankly don't care to play either one.

That feel when your team clutches so hard you turn a 0-2 into a 3-2. Someone on the enemy team got so butthurt they tried to counter my Zarya with Junkrat.

I couldnt stop laughing at how badly it backfired.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Also, I think that Sombra hack bug has a cap or something. I was messing with it in Dorado and when I hacked my 4th health pack, my original health pack perma hack was gone.

So gameplay feature or?

Wanderer5

Man the few times when I am forced to play him in a mystery match, I kind of like Zenyatta, more than I have so before the changes came in. Maybe I give him some time in quick play or such, and see how I fare there after all the changes he got so far and me making sure that I really hang back.:p

Apathy

I dont have much of a problem with sym, and on D shes a godsend, but yes, her shield generator needs a nerf. It shouldn't be able to set up and leave indefinitely, specially on B points where they can make it close to impossible to get to to destroy. It should last for a set period, something like a minute or a minute 10s

antitrop

Man the few times when I am forced to play him in a mystery match, I kind of like Zenyatta, more than I have so before the changes came in. Maybe I give him some time in quick play or such, and see how I fare there after all the changes he got so far and me making sure that I really hang back.:p

He doesn't really lag that far behind the other healers (if you count the combined total of Transcendence and Harmony Orb, Trans usually makes up about 30% of my total healing with Zen per game) and has by far the greatest damage output. Zen is a beast.

I don't use his alternate fire very often, so I moved Discord Orb to right click and it works very well for me.

It's important to prioritize the Harmony Orb on "divers", like D.Va, Winston, Genji, or Tracer.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I actually kind of don't see sym's shield thing as making everyone mini tanks. It's really more just like a lucio. Passive aura healing. Different mechanics but over a team fight a lucio will probably heal 75HP or more. Not to mention all the poke damage healed previously.

And I really don't think that you're going to have 3 supports in lucio/ana/sym because that's just way too little damage, and if you want to go 3 tanks ana and roadhog are your only long range poke damage dealers.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I feel like I never get gold medals when I play Sombra

but I also feel like I'm on fire with her more than any other hero. So s'all good.

Trey

I actually kind of don't see sym's shield thing as making everyone mini tanks. It's really more just like a lucio. Passive aura healing. Different mechanics but over a team fight a lucio will probably heal 75HP or more. Not to mention all the poke damage healed previously.

And I really don't think that you're going to have 3 supports in lucio/ana/sym because that's just way too little damage, and if you want to go 3 tanks ana and roadhog are your only long range poke damage dealers.

Burst damage is the preferred way to kill in overwatch due to how strong Ana's healing is, so symm's shield generator is much more proactive and answer to that than Lucio's passive healing, certainly.

Wanderer5

Yeah was kind of surprise that the shield gen didn't seem to have a limit of sort like the teleporter (limited to 6 people using it before it breaks down). It a great addition that was needed, but a time or # of people getting shields limit might need to be put in.

He doesn't really lag that far behind the other healers (if you count the combined total of Transcendence and Harmony Orb, Trans usually makes up about 30% of my total healing with Zen per game) and has by far the greatest damage output. Zen is a beast.

I don't use his alternate fire very often, so I moved Discord Orb to right click and it works very well for me.

I forgot there was a right click attack lol. Yeah maybe if I get into him some more, I switch in discord.

antitrop

I forgot there was a right click attack lol. Yeah maybe if I get into him some more, I switch in discord.
In most cases, Zen's primary attack will be able to kill someone in the same amount of time as it takes to charge his secondary.

The secondary is useful for peeking corners/chokes and trying to get a lucky 1-shot on someone, but other than that, I just spam left-clicks.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Burst damage is the preferred way to kill in overwatch due to how strong Ana's healing is, so symm's shield generator is much more proactive and answer to that than Lucio's passive healing, certainly.

I know. It's different mechanics, and there certainly pro and cons to either. I don't think shields regenerate while you're taking damage right? But I still look at it in roughly the same principles.

I actually hope people treat her more as a lucio replacement. Because sometimes you don't really need a lucio on defense, and her turrets are a counter to speedboost.

antitrop

*Gets into a winter mystery match and just finishes loading in*

"DEFEAT"

Oh my god game.
Can't stand that. Not only does it completely waste your time (who gives a shit about 400 Backfill XP), but as soon as you join the game, you realize why the person you're replacing left: Because the game was a fucking disaster and the entire team is bitching like crazy.

An awful experience every time. Then it kicks you back to the main menu for another 2 minute queue.

caesar

Banned
Can't stand that. Not only does it completely waste your time (who gives a fuck about 400 Backfill XP), but as soon as you join the game, you realize why the person you're replacing left: Because the game was a fucking disaster and the entire team is bitching like crazy.

An awful experience every time.

If I'm honest I don't remember the last time this happened to me.

Skyzard

Banned
Congrats! That's my hope this season.

Thanks! Was such a struggle, last season I was one game away and ended up dropping hundreds chasing it. I was a bit more careful this time, played quickplay instead of late-night binge sessions and grouped up more. Just made it now after hovering at the 2900 range for a few days. Good luck dude!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I still haven't done my placements. The longer I wait the worse it'll be, but I've been putting it off and playing too much Titanfall 2. My issue though is.. I can do it this week so it'll be sooner BUT I'm worried about all the new Symmetra mains that will play her on KOTH and think she's a viable attacker now.

If I put it off til next week then the pool might have less of those but might just overall be worse

Apathy

Can't stand that. Not only does it completely waste your time (who gives a shit about 400 Backfill XP), but as soon as you join the game, you realize why the person you're replacing left: Because the game was a fucking disaster and the entire team is bitching like crazy.

An awful experience every time. Then it kicks you back to the main menu for another 2 minute queue.

pretty much. they just need to give us an opt in option to not be part of the backfill. There are enough people playing and enough people that would want the backfill xp to stay as backfill, and it would stop all of us that don't like it to not get mad

I made Platinum and I'm pretty happy about that. First match after that we had an attack Bastion who was awful but we still won. Game after that was a really tense, close 3-2 win on Ilios though. Seems better than being in gold? Maybe? Who knows.

There's a lot of bad Symm players out there. She's my most played and best hero so it hurts to see people pick her on a KOTH or offence when it's not viable with our team comp. Even I know when to go someone else. I get it can work sometimes but in a team that refuse to communicate it very rarely can unless we happen to be getting amazing picks. The worst part is when they play Symm on something like Ilios, play half the game and then change before even using their ult. If you're going to pick Symm and go that long atleast get us that shield gen for a push or something.

The real problem is those Junkrats who refuse to change no matter what. I honestly had no idea that people played this dude so much. He's in 95% of the games I play for some reason.

I made Platinum and I'm pretty happy about that. First match after that we had an attack Bastion who was awful but we still won. Game after that was a really tense, close 3-2 win on Ilios though. Seems better than being in gold? Maybe? Who knows.

Damn, I'm so jealous. I was plat last season and my placements put me in gold this season and it's hard work trying to coordinate. Just feels like a neverending stalemate no matter how hard I try and play. Think I'm stuck in solo queue gold forever. :(

Wanderer5

Ha ha yeah, through thankfully I don't encounter it so much. Also man mystery match can be interesting and amusing, but then there people that goes kill themselves a couple times or more in a row, like even just falling to their deaths at the last point in King's Row. Just encounter two on my team that were doing a LOT of that.

On another note, I like that they added the winter version of the maps that got them in custom mode (don't think they did that with the Hollywood makeover during Halloween). It is nice to sometimes go in there to look at the details of the maps in peace.

Thanks! Was such a struggle, last season I was one game away and ended up dropping hundreds chasing it. I was a bit more careful this time, played quickplay instead of late-night binge sessions and grouped up more. Just made it now after hovering at the 2900 range for a few days. Good luck dude!
Thank you! Your situation last season sounds like mine. I made it to 2849 but then fell back to 25something and never recovered. Glad to see you managed to get there and do it early on. Good luck and keep going up!

antitrop

Thank you! Your situation last season sounds like mine. I made it to 2849 but then fell back to 25something and never recovered. Glad to see you managed to get there and do it early on. Good luck and keep going up!

Season 2 was an insane rollercoaster for me. I placed 2500, climbed to 2800 before dropping all the way down to 2200, then climbing up and ending the season at 3000. That's what I get for not following the "2 losses and call it a night" rule.

The real problem is those Junkrats who refuse to change no matter what. I honestly had no idea that people played this dude so much. He's in 95% of the games I play for some reason.

I know that feel. I had the same experience, he's by far the most-picked "useless" hero (not useless, but people who main him won't switch off even if it makes no sense to play him on the map/comp)

Hahahaha

For anyone who doesn't want to click a link with the words "hot anime" in it:

tumblr_oi5ltxDep71qfb777o2_1280.png

tumblr_oi5ltxDep71qfb777o1_1280.png

Season 2 was an insane rollercoaster for me. I placed 2500, climbed to 2800 before dropping all the way down to 2200, then climbing up and ending the season at 3000. That's what I get for not following the "2 losses and call it a night" rule.

This was me last season in solo queue. I fell as low as 2300 thanks to the weekend crowd but climbed into the 2600s before falling again and then climbing again. I maintained 2600-2700+ for a while and eventually ended in the 2800s after I started duo queue.

Unfortunately, it's looking like more of the same this season. I've been playing solo and fell into the 2200s, then climbed back to 2600s, then fell to 2200 again, up to nearly 2500, and then back into the 2300s. I made the fatal mistake of playing on the weekend and not sticking to my own '2 consecutive losses' rule. I know I'll be able to climb eventually but it's been pretty painful. The holiday season, server issues, and Symmetra updates aren't making this easy. 2200-2300 rank has definitely been the most toxic and interesting.

Trey

I don't necessarily understand the players who pick them, but exclusively use teleporter on the 1st point. I think by and far the shield generator is much more crucial solely because it gives your team more survivability and if they can survive longer they can hold off the point longer. Though I can understand placing a teleporter down if you're the last person standing, but even then it usually results in teammates funneling and dying and 6 uses also diminishes its value.

Teleporter, with the way overwatch team fights work, has nearly zero utility.

Shield gen is better in almost every practical scenario.

Wow, that sounds crazy. I kept telling myself the same but rarely did it. Awesome that you fought back up though. If I may ask, did you do anything differently after falling down or just powered through?

antitrop

Wow, that sounds crazy. I kept telling myself the same but rarely did it. Awesome that you fought back up though. If I may ask, did you do anything differently after falling down or just powered through?
Absolutely I did something differently. I'm a Support main, but to climb out of mid-Gold I started instalocking Zarya and it was a pretty easy climb back up to where I believed I belonged. My Zarya stats from last season were ridiculously high, because I was just dunking on players that were 2 leagues below my own until I got back.

When I got back to ~2800, I started playing Support again.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Teleporter, with the way overwatch team fights work, has nearly zero utility.

Shield gen is better in almost every practical scenario.

Pretty much. The only time you would ever think of using a tele was if everyone but symmetra died, but even then you might see it's a lost cause and just die to set up shield gen on B.

It's crazy how tanky she can make everyone with Torb.

Absolutely I did something differently. I'm a Support main, but to climb out of mid-Gold I started instalocking Zarya and it was a pretty easy climb back up to where I believed I belonged. My Zarya stats from last season were ridiculously high, because I was just dunking on players that were 2 leagues below my own until I got back.

When I got back to ~2800, I started playing Support again.
Well done and a late congrats then.

I usually go between Support and Tank depending but have usually had my best games as Support. Either I need to follow some of your guys' strategies or just instalock Support instead of waiting to fill in as Tank like I have been as of late.

Top Bottom