• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Veelk

Banned
You know, I won't call Symmetra's new ult broken or anything like that, but it makes 2cp maps utter hell. The attackers already have the disadvantage by having to be the ones who make the long trek from spawn, but having to fight against a steady shield boost for the entire time makes it just grueling. I felt almost bad for one team that constantly almost killed us multiple times, and if it wasn't for the fact that we just had more health than them, I'm pretty sure they'd have won in 3 different pushes. I haven't tried her out too much in KotH, but atleast there is an even spawn time and fewer places to hide, and with payload maps are by nature mobile and spacious so the central combat grounds can change. But 2cp, it's just brutal for the attackers who are already at a disadvantage. Hiding it in the back wall on Anubis or in room with the health pack on Volskaya, it's just utter hell to destroy since it's covered, yet that's where the objective is so it's swarming with the enemy. At best, you are definitely losing a teammate just to get it out of the way, if they even manage to succeed.

It is tho, I've done it before the patch but the solo healer needs to be a really good healer.

A big part of it is the team too. A good healer can't do shit when they literally have a Winston or Genji or Tracer on them 24/7 and the team won't deal with it.

Its why I literally won't even try with randoms unless they are like top 500s or something. Had one too many experiences of getting blamed for stuff that wasnt even my fault

Yeah, the shield generator is ridiculously too strong. I like the idea in theory, but in practice it's just too damn good. I'm not quite sure how best to fix it though. Maybe a timer? Maybe it works like the Teleporter and loses charge as you respawn? It needs something though.

Yeah, the shield generator is ridiculously too strong. I like the idea in theory, but in practice it's just too damn good. I'm not quite sure how best to fix it though. Maybe a timer? Maybe it works like the Teleporter and loses charge as you respawn? It needs something though.

I'd say decaying effect the farther you go.

So close range it's full strength.. But at max range it's like...5 shield. Also more walls means less shields too. So a clear line of sight is maximum effect. This way the closer to the front line the more effective, but it's also have a higher chance of being destroyed.

Yeah, after maining her for a while and then switching to other heroes, I went back to playing Symmetra on every Defense map tonight: four games, four wins, 1 PotG. One map we didn't even have a tank, and we still managed to hold Point B on Anubis. That shield generator really is a game changer.

Veelk

Banned
You know, if this was still the ult meta, this wouldn't nearly be as big a problem. But like with Reinhardt's shield, the defensive abilities just became way more valuable.

I'm confused.

On comp, I pick rein, and we hold the enemy on defense at eichenwalde and they don't get the first point. On attack I ended up getting killed on a couple of bad charges. In spawn I was thinking of what to switch to and suddenly the team captures the point. Enemy had a Rein, Hog, Sym, Lucio, Mei, 76 while we had a Dva, Rein(me and dead), Reaper, Tracer, Ana, Zen. It was also still too early for any ults to charge.

No clue what happened but I'll take it.

Only thing I know my team told me my bad suicide charges was enough to break through.

So close range it's full strength.. But at max range it's like...5 shield. Also more walls means less shields too. So a clear line of sight is maximum effect. This way the closer to the front line the more effective, but it's also have a higher chance of being destroyed.

I like the decay idea. A lot, actually.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, after maining her for a while and then switching to other heroes, I went back to playing Symmetra on every Defense map tonight: four games, four wins, 1 PotG. One map we didn't even have a tank, and we still managed to hold Point B on Anubis. That shield generator really is a game changer.

It makes everyone a tank.

The true tankmeta.

The new Symmetra is amazing. It never ocurred to me how handy a chase shield would be.

and dat ult

It just needs something to make it more detectable, like a louder beep or something. It's too easy to put it off the beaten path behind your main front and forget about it entirely.

Decay's not a bad idea, but it'd be a really slippery slope between balanced and completely useless.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I kind of still don't think it's as crazy as people make it. Like it's super good, and definitely makes a sym very viable, but if you factor in team comp it's not too bad? I dunno though, I feel like as it is with sombra and ana people should wait a bit more before grousing about power levels.

Sullichin

I kind of still don't think it's as crazy as people make it. Like it's super good, and definitely makes a sym very viable, but if you factor in team comp it's not too bad? I dunno though, I feel like as it is with sombra and ana people should wait a bit more before grousing about power levels.

I don't think it's that crazy either. In my example above that's 2 dps characters needed to have that effect, with one of their ults active. You have to compromise elsewhere and that team can still fall flat on its face. I don't think it's a great idea on offense either.

Rean

This season might go a bit better than before for me. I went 6-4 in placements in ended up at 3200 mostly playing Mccree. Hopefully I can get to masters this time.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I'd give my left nut for Tracer to have 175 HP so she could survive against the projectile vomit of Hanzo and bullshit Widow shots. It's not enough that I can dive in and distract three players while my team is busy lobbing farts off at the enemy Rein's shield while he rubs one out, I gotta eat lead from a mile away too and the concept of grouping up or getting a pick is foreign to my entire team. As I marvel at my single digit gold medal for eliminations.

I'd give my left nut for Tracer to have 175 HP so she could survive against the projectile vomit of Hanzo and bullshit Widow shots. It's not enough that I can dive in and distract three players while my team is busy lobbing farts off at the enemy Rein's shield while he rubs one out, I gotta eat lead from a mile away too and the concept of grouping up or getting a pick is foreign to my entire team. As I marvel at my single digit gold medal for eliminations.

symmetra

Antiwhippy

What would 175HP do for tracer? You're still going to survive 1 body shot but get 1 shotted by crits/scatter.

Meanwhile their Widowmaker is a goddamn savant and with ours we may as well be a man down. Even the concept of survivability seems lost on them even though we had an

attack Symmetra's shields.

what, no I was saying just roll with a symmetra and you get your free hp boost, it gives more than 175 hp to tracer actually

Yeah - the Torb + Symmetra Defense in Quick Play is fucking ridiculous, especially solo queueing. Facing a 350 HP Soldier, 300 HP Tracer, and 350 HP Mei is just stupid without any organization.

I think nerfing them both isn't a good idea thought - I think the next Support hero needs to have an offensive team buff. We've got plenty of defensive buffs now, but something needs to give the characters some extra oomph beyond raising individual damages - because then you end up with someone like 76 who is overpowered.

Antiwhippy

Yeah - the Torb + Symmetra Defense in Quick Play is fucking ridiculous, especially solo queueing. Facing a 350 HP Soldier, 300 HP Tracer, and 350 HP Mei is just stupid without any organization.

I think nerfing them both isn't a good idea thought - I think the next Support hero needs to have an offensive team buff. We've got plenty of defensive buffs now, but something needs to give the characters some extra oomph beyond raising individual damages - because then you end up with someone like 76 who is overpowered.

image.php

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
What would 175HP do for tracer? You're still going to survive 1 body shot but get 1 shotted by crits/scatter.
As it is they don't have to land a headshot because of the rest of the DPS which will make up the remaining 25-30 HP. It's incredibly irritating during solo play when you're the only person giving a damn about their sniper whose always got backup!
what, no I was saying just roll with a symmetra and you get your free hp boost, it gives more than 175 hp to tracer actually
I know, I was referring to this specific game where we had an attack Sym. It did do wonders for me, but not much for the rest of the team.

ana just boosted the offense of a single character and look how that turned out

Antiwhippy

Mmmm, that was more of a factor of how fast ult charges previous patch than the damage thing specifically. Like honestly, the most OP part about ana is her healing, not nanoboost, especially now with the ult charge nerf.

Mmmm, that was more of a factor of how fast ult charges previous patch than the damage thing specifically. Like honestly, the most OP part about ana is her healing, not nanoboost, especially now with the ult charge nerf.

I agree but that didn't stop people from bitching about it :p

with the ult charge nerf I wish she got speed boost back

solely boosting damage is boring

Sullichin

Fair enough to not want to get oneshotted by some bullshit, but I might go crazy if tracer got an hp buff

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
since he's D tier now and Pharah can fly for eternity can Genji get his fucking triple jump back?

I don't even care about edge boosting. Just give me my triple jump back.

ana just boosted the offense of a single character and look how that turned out

Yeah, but that was attack + speed + armor. I'm talking about just an attack boost. Doesn't even have to be passive. Could be a booster shot on cool down, or something like Zenyatta where it can only be on one person and only works while the person has LOS. Right now there's just not enough counters to the simple problem of more HP. The game is based around most of the characters having 200. It becomes unbalanced when "squishy" characters are doing the same damage but everyone has twice the HP.

The knee jerk reaction is to debuff or change Torb and Symm, but they've become semi-viable in this stage and to nerf them just puts them back on the shelf. Yeah, Symm's shield generator needs some sort of time limit, but changing it beyond that I don't think is necessary.

Also, introducing more characters that have unique abilities that are a "must have" will eventually add more variety to the pro scene. If there's enough unique abilities that are actually useful, eventually there will be too many must haves so multiple strategies will be able to work.

KarmaCow

keep getting matched with the same people not sure why, the game seems popular on pc.

I find that tends to happen right after I'm done reporting someone for being toxic, bigoted, a troll, or all three. I get why they removed the avoid player option but fuck, give me some breathing room for at least one game.

komaruR

weird bug im having on ps4 where I join a game then it disconnect and join again, repeat infinitely until i manual leave. happen every other game when i stay in lobby.

Console community for this game is trash. It's so many steamroll matches. Either you steamroll or get steamrolled. There are no close matches. It's really different than PC.

xaosslug

I'm confused.

On comp, I pick rein, and we hold the enemy on defense at eichenwalde and they don't get the first point. On attack I ended up getting killed on a couple of bad charges. In spawn I was thinking of what to switch to and suddenly the team captures the point. Enemy had a Rein, Hog, Sym, Lucio, Mei, 76 while we had a Dva, Rein(me and dead), Reaper, Tracer, Ana, Zen. It was also still too early for any ults to charge.

No clue what happened but I'll take it.

Only thing I know my team told me my bad suicide charges was enough to break through.

nanoboosted Death Blossom, or D.Va nerf probably took out 2-3 and then the rest of the team cleaned up the rest?

In my experience, 'preferring a player' option = MAKE SURE THEY ARE ALWAYS ON THE OPPOSITE TEAM TO YOU.

So I guess if there's some shithead you don't want to party with again, pop him on your prefer list. :p

placement matches suck

I was in platinum last season and now I'm getting matched up with level 25s or silvers who don't even know the basic mechanics of the game or simple team comp

nothing like being on a team with 5 dps or sniping d.va's

Top Bottom