• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Kenai

I caved and dropped a 20 on loot boxes. Between that and farming I got about every skin I don't want. Gonna throw something at my T.V. if i get another Jingle Tracer skin (on my 3rd dupe).

Still gonna fish for Nutcracker, Mei-rry, Andies and Yeti right up until the final hour. Mei and Lucio get priority since I actually play them (sorry Winston) + don't have any decent skins for them (got a decent Zen skin).

Apathy

People are just fucking terrible, just standing just outside of the point as the opposite team is about to cap. Mind boggling that anyone could be that bad.

BigDug13

I said Sombra looked underpowered. *shrug*

But yeah, I think Symmetra's power is overblown. People just aren't used to playing against her (wasn't her pick rate like 5%?). They're also not used to seeing her as a threat. She still dies to just about all the usual suspects.

Shield generator is great though. I think part of its power is the lack of voice calls for when it goes down. Playing Sym is pretty straightforward but playing against her was equally braindead. Now teams need to be a little more aware.

That said, I fully expect Blizzard to nerf her.

Shouldn't need a voice call IMO. Unlike teleporter, you can instantly see that your opponent seems to have 75 extra hitpoints in shields.

Those usually go in Sym's favor in my experience.
The math doesn't support that :p even if a fully charged symmetra is doing 120 damage per second Winston has 100 armour so 4 of Symm's hits would do -5 damage. So this puts Winston on -100 after 1 sec while Symmetra would be at -60. Symmetra would continue damage at 120 per second, thus killing winston in 3.3 seconds while Winston would do 60 damage a second, killing Symmetra in 2.3~ secs.

Total time to kill full health symmetra - 3.3~ secs

Total time to kill full health winston with a fully charged beam - 4.3~ secs
Still don't think Sym's gun is overpowered in the slightest.
I'm not sure where I stand on it tbh.

She might be able to do with shield and armor but no way without both.
I think even with her shield generator up, Winston still wins unless she is at full charge when she engages him. It takes her two seconds of lock on to ramp up to full damage.

Maybe if she has shields and armour but even then I think it's close.

No way for Sym to win a 1v1 vs. Winston. Unless she is getting help or he is low on health. Dunno about with shield generator. Probably not though.

The math doesn't support that :p even if a fully charged symmetra is doing 120 damage per second Winston has 100 armour so 4 of Symm's hits would do -5 damage. So this puts Winston on -100 after 1 sec while Symmetra would be at -60. Symmetra would continue damage at 120 per second, thus killing winston in 3.3 seconds while Winston would do 60 damage a second, killing Symmetra in 2.3~ secs.

Total time to kill full health symmetra - 3.3~ secs

Total time to kill full health winston with a fully charged beam - 4.3~ secs

Don't know what the deal is then, because I usually win 1v1s against Winston as Symmetra. Maybe they tend to be already damaged. I don't know. I'm just going by what I've seen.

Veelk

Banned
Don't know what the deal is then, because I usually win 1v1s against Winston as Symmetra. Maybe they tend to be already damaged. I don't know. I'm just going by what I've seen.

Yeah. Winston has more health, but he's big like some kind of giant monkey. He's gonna be taking damage from everywhere. In addition to that, a good Symmetra is a ninja. The enemy shouldn't know where you are until you're already eating them with your gun. So if Winston is at all damaged or he has to take a second to reorient himself to face you, then you have the advantage.

Yeah. Winston has more health, but he's big like some kind of giant monkey. He's gonna be taking damage from everywhere. In addition to that, a good Symmetra is a ninja. The enemy shouldn't know where you are until you're already eating them with your gun. So if Winston is at all damaged or he has to take a second to reorient himself to face you, then you have the advantage.

Right, and he does such shit damage that I don't even bother trying to go against Sym on my own when I play as him.

But in a 1v1 winston will win :p

Of course winston will go down to a symmetra + some other damage but a solo symmetra should not kill a winston.

Winston wins 100% of the time in a situation that practically does not exist.

Like, you're technically correct, but I'm not sure how useful that is in practice.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Also why is Winston trying to take you out alone? A bad Winston goes in without his team.

Winston's value is 100% based on the space he creates when a team fight happens.

It's happened multiple times for me since the rework. I'm not sure why you think it doesn't.
Yeah, I don't know what else to say really. A lot of (bad) Symmetras seem to think that their shield + gun range means they're invincible and charge.
Also why is Winston trying to take you out alone? A bad Winston goes in without his team.

Winston's value is 100% based on the space he creates when a team fight happens.
Shit happens. Especially in quick play. :p

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Team fights at main entrance of Hollywood, Winston goes into side door to kill Symmetra's turrets, Symmetra tries to engage Winston

It's happened multiple times for me since the rework. I'm not sure why you think it doesn't.

I'm not saying it doesn't. I'm just saying that, anecdotally, it hasn't. Our experiences just seem to be totally different here.

Maybe I only play against shitty Winstons. I have no idea. I'm not an expert on these things.

I'm trying to practice ana in quick play but none of my games ever have a tank, people are just refusing to play one and we get steamrolled, it feels completely pointless tless even trying

I'm trying to practice ana in quick play but none of my games ever have a tank, people are just refusing to play one and we get steamrolled, it feels completely pointless tless even trying

Rule number one of QP:

You're going Support or Tank. Sometimes simultaneously. Be ready for it.

I made the mistake of wanting to use Symmetra once. Chose her immediately. Then two minutes into the match, someone mentions "no tank." Altogether, it was six minutes of my life I'll never get back.

AngryMoth

Don't think I can bring myself to watch the rest of this NRG match after seeing them fail to take hollywood A with 6 ults vs 1 and the whole video is only 30 mins :(

One of the annoying things about MLG Vegas yesterday and even on their website, is their inability to specify what timezone they're using. I understand it's most likely local Vegas time but still, stating it shouldn't be hard for people watching outside of Vegas.

Veelk

Banned
I just had a game with a guy who played Widowmaker REALLY well. I sent him a message accusing him of mouse cheating, because that's what it looked like to me with how it flicked. But he says he just used a scuf on his controller, meaning a thing that enlargens the thumbstick for greater precision. Maybe I should get me that, because his widowmaker was just flat out vicious.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The difference between a bad Mercy and a good Mercy might be even bigger than the difference between a bad Genji and a good Genji

Top Bottom