• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

matmanx1

Time to set the scene.
Group up with skii who is 2 points away from platinum.
Illios KOTH.
I pick Ana, Skii picks reaper. End up having 3 dps, one tank (roadhog so actually dps really) and two support.
Lose the first two rounds 100-0.
Since the second round we have 5 DPS and me as Ana.
They are 99-0 and we somehow cap it.
Get it to 99-99 and they nanoboost a Reinhardt. He charges in misses everyone before going off the point due to the charge and we cap it.
Somehow we win 3-2 and Skii gets to platitnum after we end up with the worst comp imaginable.

Ana, Reaper, Hanzo, Genji, Pharah, Tracer.

We've said it often enough but with none of us being Pro level players non-standard, non-meta comps can and do work. Especially on a KotH map if you are out dps'ing the other guys buy a wide margin and their heals can't keep up then that is a valid way to win.

Grats to Skii for getting Plat though. I'm sure that will be a game that neither of you forgets.

Azoor

Yeah I believe it'll be a fictional nation as well. They also said Arabian desert. :p
In the Recall short, Mercy is working in an area that seems to be Iraq or Kuwait - might be there (and yes I know that's Mesopotamia/Mashriq rather than Arabia, but it generally gets lumped in with the Arabic area).

Dunno, what would they add though? The SEA scene is pretty new. The only standout nation out of the region was Thailand (remember that Singapore beat Malaysia and Philippines in the Asian qualifiers).
I have no doubt they'll do something out of the region at some point, though.

I live in Kuwait actually, and it's part of the Arabian Peninsula, Iraq not so much.

NeoRaider

I love when Sombra says "Ay Pobrecita..." after the kill. LMAO

4859856.jpg

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
God I hate QP. People pick terrible characters like Hanzo, Bastion, Widowmaker, Genji, Torb, way too much. Like seriously go play CoD you annoying cheese-brain.

Jellie

We've said it often enough but with none of us being Pro level players non-standard, non-meta comps can and do work. Especially on a KotH map if you are out dps'ing the other guys buy a wide margin and their heals can't keep up then that is a valid way to win.

Grats to Skii for getting Plat though. I'm sure that will be a game that neither of you forgets.

Yeah but when were were at 5 DPS in the second round we still lost. Third round we ended up with a winston and roadhog for half the round and we won that 100-0 before the 4th and 5th round returned to 5 dps one healer. The other team at the end were bashing each other in match chat so I figure they got very tilted. Must have picked a troll pick in round 3 or something and ended up causing his team to get tilted I think.

Yup I think Skii was really annoyed at 2-0 cos he was so close and on a 5 win streak. Next up is diamond for him.

Moonkeis

I really do cherish the moments when I run into good groups when I'm solo queued. I had a 4 man yesterday, we had a close game but lost and after the match, the discussion was "What could we have done better?". No arguing, just good feedback.

Skii

Finally made it to platinum!

Was going to post a pic but imgur is down (probably due to Trump).

It was another extremely weird game. Team comp was all over the place with no real tank and only one healer. I couldn't really switch off Reaper as I was actually getting their Zarya/Reinhardt enough times. We had no right winning it after going 2-0 down but somehow we did it. I'm guessing the other team got really complacent because they steamrolled the first two rounds. Our team picks never really got better but we just somehow chugged through lol.

Anyway, I have to thank Jellie for carrying me to platinum. Now I can rest easy this season. I'm just happy to be in the middle bracket for my first PC fps.

ISOM

God I hate QP. People pick terrible characters like Hanzo, Bastion, Widowmaker, Genji, Torb, way too much. Like seriously go play CoD you annoying cheese-brain.

Man people want to play the characters they want to play. I don't know why any of those heroes should be a non sequitur from the start. Let people play the damn game they paid for.

Jellie

Finally made it to platinum!

Was going to post a pic but imgur is down (probably due to Trump).

It was another extremely weird game. Team comp was all over the place with no real tank and only one healer. I couldn't really switch off Reaper as I was actually getting their Zarya/Reinhardt enough times. We had no right winning it after going 2-0 down but somehow we did it. I'm guessing the other team got really complacent because they steamrolled the first two rounds. Our team picks never really got better but we just somehow chugged through lol.

Anyway, I have to thank Jellie for carrying me to platinum. Now I can rest easy this season. I'm just happy to be in the middle bracket for my first PC fps.
Nah didn't carry you. It was only one game and I was healer. You got 49 eliminations so you did the work yourself.
That one guy on our team was really annoying. First two rounds he was hanzo and spamming need healing when he was no where near the point and not even in LOS. Third round he was reinhardt for half the round asking why I didn't nanoboost him after our team had used like 3 ults already and died.

Blues1990

Many people want to play the characters they want to play. I don't know why any of those heroes should be a non sequitur from the start. Let people play the damn game they paid for.

I agree. I enjoy playing Lucio as much as the next person, but there are times when I just want to play someone else and get better with them. I had a ball playing Bastion and Pharah today, and I'm slowly getting better with the other heroes. (Tracer, Ana, and Mercy still allude me, though. Major props for the Mercy players that have a handle on her, as she is difficult to play as when you're team runs dick first into the enemy.)

ISOM

why do S76 and Pharah have the most hilarious death-screams in the game? xD

Ana's is the most hilarious and probably Zen. There's a really funny bug that happens sometimes where if Ana dies you can hear her scream be really drawn out for like 10 seconds. It sounds so funny when it happens.

xaosslug

Ana's is the most hilarious and probably Zen. There's a really funny bug that happens sometimes where if Ana dies you can hear her scream be really drawn out for like 10 seconds. It sounds so funny when it happens.

nah, it's Pharah and S76 hands down (tho, I also find Genji's choked death scream funny!). Ana and Zen's aren't even that noticeable, tbh.

Blues1990

I haven't played her yet, but I just tried to connect to the PTR about 15 minutes ago and it just kept failing at the login screen. :( I'll try again later.

Yeah, I had stop trying the new game modes in the PTR. It's way to unstable, and even when I got in, I was booted out and had to wait in a line up of 30000.

xaosslug

idk if they have specific screams for specific death situations, but there is a scream S76 and Pharah do when they die certain times that is just too funny, even when you hear it over the chaos in the bg. xD

NeoRaider

You better had unlocked the Hacking highlight intro.

I didn't unlock anything for her. I will just wait for her to be out of PTR then buy/unlock.

I haven't played her yet, but I just tried to connect to the PTR about 15 minutes ago and it just kept failing at the login screen. :( I'll try again later.

What are you waiting for?? Go and try her.
Weird because yesterday and today PTR works good for me all the time.

antitrop

What are you waiting for?? Go and try her.
Weird because yesterday and today PTR works good for me all the time.
I don't like the idea of playing games that "don't count", so PTR has little appeal to me. I just want to play Sombra for a game or two and then go back to regular server, but it wouldn't even let me login.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Man people want to play the characters they want to play. I don't know why any of those heroes should be a non sequitur from the start. Let people play the damn game they paid for.

That's what QP is for, let people have some fun, yo.
Honestly when I made that post, I was just stressed about the election and what's going to happen now. It was unfair.

MrPanic

You better had unlocked the Hacking highlight intro.

Haha, I also managed to get one potg with her yesterday, chat went wild after Rein's flexing highlight animation got interrupted. Hacking is the best highlight intro in the game by far.

Though her kit has my interest, her gun makes me dislike playing her quite a bit. I'll probably wait out and see how the pro's gonna use her cause if her abilities and supporting role isn't the reason why she's in the meta, I might just not play her at all.

Every single time I get past 2800 (2843 is my highest) my teams turn to utter shit. They suddenly area all vitriolic idiots. At 2700 though, things are delightful. It is so frustrating.

Kysen

Just looking over my match history and have noticed some trends. I haven't seen kings row in over 50 comp games. Anubis which I hate, I have a 71% win rate and its my most played. I have won every match on Watchpoint Gibraltar and lost every match on Volskaya.

He even has some of the best responses when he kills a character specific character, such as the burn he gives when he kills Pharah during her ult.

Yea his lines are great for eliminations:

Killing Tracer or Lucio: "Move too quickly, and you overlook much."
Pharah / McCree: "Justice is defined by the hand that claims it."
Widow (I didn't even know this one): "That was for my friend."

I also like all of his discord lines, but the one where he lands it on Genji is the best:

"I know the doubts that plague you."

Zen's a bit of a badass

khaaan

I'm so close to Platinum, I can taste it....but I end up tasting defeat whenever I get close ;_;

The closest I've gotten is ~2430. I lost two matches and a draw yesterday before I decided to call it quits yesterday.

Skii

Wrong. Tracer's best line is when she calls someone a wanker eliminating them.

That speaks louder to me as a Brit than her accent. :lol

Does she actually say wanker? Like there's no other swearing in this game from what I can tell. It seems so out of character as well. I thought I heard it but I cant believe it.

Nimby

Banned
Does she actually say wanker? Like there's no other swearing in this game from what I can tell. It seems so out of character as well. I thought I heard it but I cant believe it.

A lot of people same "Damn" when they get discorded

TrueBlue

It's only when she's wearing her Punk/Ultraviolet(?) skin. She is more of a grump with this skin, as she doesn't open with her usual "Cheers love! The cavalry's here!" line.

Here it is: https://youtu.be/wktl2TQK56o

She says tosser using these skins as well: https://youtu.be/VgkMq5ON03E

I think it's hillarious. I just wish she shouted "Bollocks!" every now and then.

Top Bottom