• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Cappa

Banned
As you get closer to your highest SR, it places you in more difficult match ups. There was a huge write-up on the inner mechanisms of comp on the competitive overwatch subreddit a while back. I'll try to find it.

I would love to read this because its not like competition gets better, I more than hold my own it just seems like my team is really really bad every time. Anytime Im close to breaking my SR season high, I am always on the team that gets completely steam rolled. I wouldnt care if they were close games, but theyre not and thats whats most frustrating. Its like hey you won a bunch of games so were going to stick you on a team with really bad players.

Getting spawn camped on attack anubis after taking first point for about 7min only to have one last push and backcap in over time

Thats what you get for over extending :))))

Awesome, is that only in PTR or in the regular server?

That would make Punk Tracer, Wolf Hanzo, and B.va with special voice lines. McCree definitely has some for his gambler skin that people found through datamining. Those are cool.
Roadhog sometimes says "Arrrrrrr... Matey" when wearing the shark skins.

I just had a Soldier on my team on Lijiang who had no interest in killing the enemy Pharah... so bizarre. Went on multiple 20 kill streaks as Tracer and still lost 3-2. Feelsbadman.

zoukka

I just had a Soldier on my team on Lijiang who had no interest in killing the enemy Pharah... so bizarre. Went on multiple 20 kill streaks as Tracer and still lost 3-2. Feelsbadman.

It's not even super easy for Soldier to kill a good phara. McCree is much more reliable.

It's not even super easy for Soldier to kill a good phara. McCree is much more reliable.

I main Pharah and S76 doesn't really put the fear of God into me like McCree. His bursts aren't damaging enough usually. Even Roadhog's hook or Ana's scope give me more problems. Also, him popping health when low is a great signal to swoop in for a carpet bombing.

I wonder if the proposed changes to his kit, combined with Pharah's splash damage nerf, will make me reconsider.

Greddleok

I feel like a Soldier just harasses Pharah, rather than killing her outright. If the 76 is watching the skies, they make sure she has to play defensively.

No where near as good as "DING DING" two headshots and dead, but still useful.

It's really not that easy to hit head shots on a good Pharah as McCree. On console anyway, can't speak for pc.

Having said that, I don't think I've seen very many good Pharahs. I usually 3 shot them.

Cappa

Banned
Very rarely have I been on a team that knows how to handle Pharah, its usually me as Mei trying to take her down with some success at least.

Azoor

Very rarely have I been on a team that knows how to handle Pharah, its usually me as Mei trying to take her down with some success at least.

Soldier,McCree and Roadhog should EASILY take her out, even Ana can make her sleep and become and easy target.

Not sure why a lot of people are having a difficult time with her.

Cappa

Banned
Soldier,McCree and Roadhog should EASILY take her out, even Ana can make her sleep and become and easy target.

Not sure why a lot of people are having a difficult time with her.

I think its just that they have the mentality that they need to kill anything in front of them and dont realize there are heroes that benefit from being on an elevated position like Junkrat, Pharah, Tjorborns turret, etc.

I remember a game from last night on Lijiang Tower on Control Center Tjorborn laid down a turret on that ledge way up on the top in the middle of the room. We had a Genji, Reaper and DVA on the team and me and the Lucio were trying to tell them take out the turret but instead they just kept repeatedly dieing to said turret. Me, again as little old Mei, climbed all the way up there just to take down the turret.

Its just strange that its very common that there are players that just have a tunnel vision mentality where if someone is not either in front, back or to the side of them its like they dont even exist and will keep dieing repeatedly.

I think its just that they have the mentality that they need to kill anything in front of them and dont realize there are heroes that benefit from being on an elevated position like Junkrat, Pharah, Tjorborns turret, etc.

I remember a game from last night on Lijiang Tower on Control Center Tjorborn laid down a turret on that ledge way up on the top in the middle of the room. We had a Genji, Reaper and DVA on the team and me and the Lucio were trying to tell them take out the turret but instead they just kept repeatedly dieing to said turret. Me, again as little old Mei, climbed all the way up there just to take down the turret.

Its just strange that its very common that there are players that just have a tunnel vision mentality where if someone is not either in front, back or to the side of them its like they dont even exist and will keep dieing repeatedly.

It's surprising how many people have a 2d mindset in a 3d battlefield.

I think there's just alot of really bad players in this game. I've been in gold tier all season long, and there are soo many clueless people.

I'm talkin about zero situational awareness, will take the same path and die over and over...one by one.

There also seem to be a ton of people who only know how to play 1 or 2 of the characters.

Kuro

D.va is broken as shit in the PTR right now. She is impossible to kill when there's a decent healer and a Zarya on her team.

Rize_21

I think there's just alot of really bad players in this game. I've been in gold tier all season long, and there are soo many clueless people.

I'm talkin about zero situational awareness, will take the same path and die over and over...one by one.

There also seem to be a ton of people who only know how to play 1 or 2 of the characters.

That's true, might be because the game is really popular so it gathers all kind of players, your best chance to really climb is to play with two to three players, solo queue is a huge random box at this level, I know it all too well :( I guess we'll have a better chance at "carrying" once the ultimates will be much slower to get.

Skii

Dva has actually become a problem for Reaper on the PTR from when I faced her. She lives an extra shot which is enough time for her to put too much damage on you for you to successfully kill her after she jumps out of mech.

Getting spawn camped on attack anubis after taking first point for about 7min only to have one last push and backcap in over time

Thats what you get for over extending :))))

Spawncamping is so lame. When people do that I like setting up as Bastion in the spawn and just murder them.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Lol, same guy dodged two games in a row with Harbleu in it. Hope blizzard cracks down and bans all the idiots exploiting shit.

Azoor

D.va is broken as shit in the PTR right now. She is impossible to kill when there's a decent healer and a Zarya on her team.

It's about time my girl D.va to shine and climb that meta ladder :D

Seriously though, pick Zarya

Finally got into the PTR last night. I didn't really enjoy 1v1 all that much, but 3v3 was a blast. The only problem I have is that the "meta" seems to revolve entirely around Roadhog right now; hopefully if enough people keep playing it, a proper RPS could evolve. It's a really cool mode.

ISOM

Dva has actually become a problem for Reaper on the PTR from when I faced her. She lives an extra shot which is enough time for her to put too much damage on you for you to successfully kill her after she jumps out of mech.

I've actually never had a problem 1v1 a Reaper as D.va. Just gotta time the shields to when they are shooting and you got like a free window to attack when they are reloading. It's pretty easy.

If they flank you by surprise then yeah you're toast.

Skii

I've actually never had a problem 1v1 a Reaper as D.va. Just gotta time the shields to when they are shooting and you got like a free window to attack when they are reloading. It's pretty easy.

If they flank you by surprise then yeah you're toast.

And that's a problem. A good Dva is definitely the hardest for Reaper to deal with 1v1 because of the fact that her DPS increases the closer you get to her. At least with all the other tanks, they want to either completely avoid Reaper or keep distance when fighting to gain advantage but Dva can outright win the 1v1 battle. She has DM to take advantage of reload times, she has high DPS at close range and can create space when she's out of her mech to take Reaper down with her ranged weapon. It's probably 55-45 in Reaper's favour but with the PTR patch, it's like 70-30 in Dva's favour.

Not sure what they'll do, the game already runs at 60 FPS console, maybe they'll have dynamic resolution off and let the game run smoothly at a single resolution ?
I think either that or still dynamic res but above 1080p all the time, which would be nice :)

Or give us 60fps menus like on pc lol

ISOM

And that's a problem. A good Dva is definitely the hardest for Reaper to deal with 1v1 because of the fact that her DPS increases the closer you get to her. At least with all the other tanks, they want to either completely avoid Reaper or keep distance when fighting to gain advantage but Dva can outright win the 1v1 battle. She has DM to take advantage of reload times, she has high DPS at close range and can create space when she's out of her mech to take Reaper down with her ranged weapon. It's probably 55-45 in Reaper's favour but with the PTR patch, it's like 70-30 in Dva's favour.

I was talking about prepatch. I've NEVER had a problem with D.va is my point. I guess other people are different in that regards. Zarya is the only annoying thing for me when I play D.va and long range shots.

Greddleok

If there's a Pharah on the other team, and I'm dps (unusual, but happens occasionally). I will shut her down. The thing is, I am actually focussing on her.

If I'm shooting ground based targets, I can be plinking away a Rein shield before moving onto a more juicy target, or swapping from a high priority like Mercy to finish off a low health tank or DPS who I spotted.

When I'm aiming at Pharah, I just see Pharah. Sure, she goes down, but I've not been paying attention to everything else. That's definitely my personal issue, but it's also an issue with controller play.

zoukka

If there's a Pharah on the other team, and I'm dps (unusual, but happens occasionally). I will shut her down. The thing is, I am actually focussing on her.

If I'm shooting ground based targets, I can be plinking away a Rein shield before moving onto a more juicy target, or swapping from a high priority like Mercy to finish off a low health tank or DPS who I spotted.

When I'm aiming at Pharah, I just see Pharah. Sure, she goes down, but I've not been paying attention to everything else. That's definitely my personal issue, but it's also an issue with controller play.

Ah Phara must be so bad in console due to auto-aim.

Azoor

I am really not sure why some people watch videos of people opening lootboxes, that's like a level below unboxing videos.

Skii

Eh, I'm okay with D.va being harder to kill. She still lacks the raw amount of utility Rein and Zarya have.

She has great utility but is more situational. If your team is running Genji, Tracer, Winston on attack, you're probably better off with a Dva than a Reinhardt/Zarya. And if you're defending, she's great as someone who can clean up before returning. Dva is just unfortunately hard countered by Zarya who is one of the most popular characters at the moment. I don't really think she's even mediocre/bad like Bastion, Torb etc. are.

I was talking about prepatch. I've NEVER had a problem with D.va is my point. I guess other people are different in that regards. Zarya is the only annoying thing for me when I play D.va and long range shots.

I know you are. That's what I'm saying that Dva probably has the best chances against a Reaper in a 1v1 and now with the PTR, she definitely should be besting Reaper which is bad because he's the tank buster.

Cappa

Banned
DVa is already very good under the right hands, obviously Zarya is a hard counter but you can certainly play as Dva against a team with Zarya and have success as is. I hope the PTR changes go through for her.

I wish the defense matrix was a little bit wider, actually.

Reinhardt can soak up 2000 damage, but can hold that shield forever. D.va can soak up an infinite amount of damage, but can only hold the shield for a bit. I'd like her to be able to actually play the Reinhardt role in a pinch, but she viewblocks teammates who try to leverage her matrix.

Azoor

Wait, why?

Not saying it won't be nice, but it's not like the other tanks need a passive team helping ability to keep relevant.

Just because others tanks don't have it doesn't mean a tank shouldn't have it.

It was a suggestion off the top of my head.

Azoor

Reinhardt can soak up 2000 damage, but can hold that shield forever. D.va can soak up an infinite amount of damage, but can only hold the shield for a bit. I'd like her to be able to actually play the Reinhardt role in a pinch, but she viewblocks teammates who try to leverage her matrix.

That's not a bad idea actually, it would increase her viability.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

That's because she shouldn't be at The same positioning of a Reinhardt.

DM should be treated more like zarya's bubbles when it comes to protecting your team.

Cappa

Banned
That's because she shouldn't be at The same positioning of a Reinhardt.

DM should be treated more like zarya's bubbles when it comes to protecting your team.

Exactly, if were going to have heroes all play the same whats the point of having different heroes.

Fancolors

She really doesn't. DM is an amazing ability. It's just that she gets countered hard by super meta heroes.

I'm not saying she's bad, but other tanks do the job of protecting teammates better. Rein for close range and Zarya for longer distances. And she's not good as disrupting as Winston nor getting kills like Roadhog (who isn't even much of tank).

Azoor

DM can be a very strong way to protect your team from some ultimates, I always use it against Reaper and Pharah to defend my time.

Go play pharah against Dva and tell me you don't see a problem with this. A halfway decent dva immediately makes my favorited character entirely useless now.

Top Bottom