• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

It was only a matter of time with Rein. I saw him in pretty much every promatch didn't matter the map type. Blizzard really need to add more tanks with large hp shields as their main job.

Not necessarily large HP shields, but some sort of protective abilities that mitigate damage on allies.

Layell

So, what I'm gathering is that this is just a random opinion that a bunch of people hold simultaneously for no real reason.

One of her default legendary pairs is her as a goth, which really never seemd fitting, it's probably her worst one. Her arctic one is very Russian, but her faceplate part is very weird. Her Olympic Summer Games ones are nice but now you can't get them and they make her blonde.

One of her default legendary pairs is her as a goth, which really never seemd fitting, it's probably her worst one. Her arctic one is very Russian, but her faceplate part is very weird. Her Olympic Summer Games ones are nice but now you can't get them and they make her blonde.

I'll agree on the goth skins. The faceplate seems fine as far as I can tell? I have no idea what you mean there. I think she looks much better as a blonde personally.

LW red (or more accurately, lw blue + nanohana) pretty much took lunatic hai running triple or quad tank to the cleaners with dive comps, but that's because they have a seriously good genji and tracer. Rogue went tank heavy and basically ate shit against the Koreans.

The iem tournament is actually way less tank heavy than mlg.

The MLG tournament had the higher skill bracket though with EnvyUs, Faze, Cloud 9, etc. Rogue and Misfits both just had huge roster changes that they haven't had enough time to adjust to. The triple tank core - Rein, Dva, Roadhog - has an insane level of synergy that, I think, will be the predominant force over until some change within either the game or the way Pros are playing.

As a note, we did just see the most recent APEX series go through with predominantly 3x Tank comps. I think it's more likely that teams prepared Dive comps expecting Symmetra and decided to stick with it after some success. The current playing level of Kongdoo and LW is much higher than Rogue, Misfits, and Lunatic Hai (for whatever reason. They have been doing pretty poorly recently.) and that could have had an impact as well.

Btw, where is NiP at??

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Envyus I'll grant you, but i don't think faze and cloud9 are that much higher than the Korean scene. Maybe even lower honestly.

I think 3 tanks is a very good core team. I don't really dispute that. I think quad tank is not that great. The 4th tank is usually the dps tank role that is much better taken by an actual dps.

Envyus I'll grant you, but i don't think faze and cloud9 are that much higher than the Korean scene. Maybe even lower honestly.

I think 3 tanks is a very good core team. I don't really dispute that. I think quad tank is not that great. The 4th tank is usually the dps tank role that is much better taken by an actual dps.

Zarya makes the 4th tank viable. Whether or not it is better than the more popular DPS version probably depends on the map, to be honest. My personal opinion is closer to yours though. Having the DPS slot seems stronger and allows more flexibility in almost every situation.

My other more personal opinion is that the Korean OW scene is still behind most of the other teams with Kongdoo Uncia and maybe LW Blue being the exceptions. But it's hard to measure that sort of thing at this point. Hopefully the OW League will give us some perspective. :p

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The OW league is na only though at the outset right?

I actually wonder about that. I enjoy pro Overwatch but i don't know if there's enough there to really blow it out like that.

Danj

aww yiss deez nuts

ZaGLsqx.jpg

Zenyatta Christmas skin get! I think I just need the Torb and Mei ones now and I'll have all the ones I want (I already have Tracer Elf and Pharah Frostbite, though I bought the latter with coins).

I don't get the hate for Zarya's legendary skins. I mean, I get Industrial and Cybergoth, but the Arctic and Olympic skins are great. I honestly don't really care for her default/epic skins.

How you perform is more important than how many matches you win when it comes to placement matches.

But I had 3 golds in almost every win. :(

But I had 3 golds in almost every win. :(

The golds only really measure how well you performed relative to your team. If the rest of your team wasn't doing much, and you did only marginally better, then you aren't necessarily much better than they are.

I believe it's also heavily dependent upon your QP MMR, so the game already kind of has an idea of where you should be placed before you even begin. Placements really don't matter all that much this season.

Just realised that they patched out faster early levelling. Completely missed this before and it's just a straight 20,000 now and it doesn't go to 2000 after passing level 100, 200 etc. That sucks!

Just realised that they patched out faster early levelling. Completely missed this before and it's just a straight 20,000 now and it doesn't go to 2000 after passing level 100, 200 etc. That sucks!

There isn't actually any significant difference in the amount of XP it takes to get 100 boxes, so don't worry too much about it.

Player Icons are weird. As you can't straight up buy them with coins it's all luck based and as of right now I'm still yet to get any icons for my most played and favourite character. I've even bought 50 loot boxes in the past a couple times and I'm still yet to get anything.

Soi-Fong

Bought the 25 loot box bundle from the Blizz store. Got the holidays skins for Zenyatta, Torbjorn, Roadhog and Reaper. And got two golds for Mercy (who is my main) and a gold skin for Sombra. And a few other cool poses and voice clips.

Pretty happy with that set of loot. :D

I'm also pretty new to the game still. Only Level 19. haha

Blues1990

Bought the 25 loot box bundle from the Blizz store. Got the holidays skins for Zenyatta, Torbjorn, Roadhog and Reaper. And got two golds for Mercy (who is my main) and a gold skin for Sombra. And a few other cool poses and voice clips.

Pretty happy with that set of loot. :D

I'm also pretty new to the game still. Only Level 19. haha

That's awesome! What Legendary Skins did you obtain for Mercy? Sigrún/Valkyrie is my favourite, what with me having a hard-on for Norse Mythology and all that.

The golds only really measure how well you performed relative to your team. If the rest of your team wasn't doing much, and you did only marginally better, then you aren't necessarily much better than they are.

I believe it's also heavily dependent upon your QP MMR, so the game already kind of has an idea of where you should be placed before you even begin. Placements really don't matter all that much this season.

I mean I play a really good Reinhardt, but looking back most of my opponents were silver/gold so that's probably why.

LiK

Player Icons are weird. As you can't straight up buy them with coins it's all luck based and as of right now I'm still yet to get any icons for my most played and favourite character. I've even bought 50 loot boxes in the past a couple times and I'm still yet to get anything.

It's bizarre that you can't buy them with in-game currency. I can understand the event exclusives but regular ones are also left to chance.

Soi-Fong

That's awesome! What Legendary Skins did you obtain for Mercy? Sigrún/Valkyrie is my favourite, what with me having a hard-on for Norse Mythology and all that.

Got Valkyrie and Imp so I'm pretty happy. Haha That and I got the holiday victory pose and voice line as well for her so got a lot of stuff for her. lol Haven't really been able to play much since I don't have much people to play with. I only play with my cousin really but he's from the Philippines so we're not able to play much.

They did this so that people weren't incentivized to stop playing the game in advance of events. It was a really good change, IMO. It still takes basically the same amount of time to go up 100 levels; you just don't get the burst of boxes when you "prestige."

Mupod

It took all night but my friend and I finally won a single winter mystery brawl. And I had to work my ass off to do it.

The hero selection can't be random. It just can't. It's giving me Hanzo and D-Va over and over because it's fucking with me intentionally. We had a team that was 5x Ana at one point. Just infuriating bullshit that I wouldn't mind if you didn't need to win 9 for the loot boxes, can't relax and have fun.

We moved on to 3v3 after that, I usually do very well in there and rarely lose. Roadhog/Zenyatta/Soldier are all characters I'm quite good with, especially Zenyatta. I've won rounds against some crazy odds with him, including last night where the other team was playing 3 sniper characters and couldn't keep track of me (no footstep sounds). But that mode is so unbalanced it makes playing with friends obnoxious because they don't use characters that are OP in that mode. Like one of them is the best D-Va player I've seen but she's totally useless in there.

On the bright side, I got the Zarya emote. I've got 3000g as well so I can buy Nutyatta if I want, which is all I'd need from this event.

I don't get the hate for Zarya's legendary skins. I mean, I get Industrial and Cybergoth, but the Arctic and Olympic skins are great. I honestly don't really care for her default/epic skins.

How you perform is more important than how many matches you win when it comes to placement matches.

I like Arctic Zarya too. First thing I bought with G.

Do supports still get completely boned in placement matches? I did all of mine in season 1 with a group of 3, and I ended up playing support every round. I ended up many, many points below them. I played nothing but Zarya in S2 and placed in platinum despite nonstop ragequitters.

KHlover

Banned
Same here. Over 100hrs of playtime and not a single D.Va player icon. At this rate I'll get her golden gun before her player icon D:

Blues1990

I still have no idea what they are.

Alien turnip with tentacles, which is super cuddly. What's not to like?

Got Valkyrie and Imp so I'm pretty happy. Haha That and I got the holiday victory pose and voice line as well for her so got a lot of stuff for her. lol Haven't really been able to play much since I don't have much people to play with. I only play with my cousin really but he's from the Philippines so we're not able to play much.

Nice. Mercy is pretty consistant with her Epic and Legendary skins, and you got two of the most popular ones. (Be prepared for Witch Mercy next Halloween.)

I have icons for Sombra, Zarya and Genji, and that's really all I need. Throw in Ana and those are my heroes.

Top Bottom