• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
https://www.overbuff.com/blog/2016-12-20-overwatch-hero-meta-report-tanks-for-watching

Meta report.

Reinhardt passed Lucio. All tanks minus Winston are over 50% pick rate. Big drops for Soldier and Tracer.
Surprised to see Soldier less often.

It is not meant to tell you that your favorite Hero is garbage nor is it meant for you to use as ammo to flame people in ranked play.
It's so sad how this guy has this line in every one of his reports, and yet competitive mode is full of people doing exactly this.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I still don't have that much trouble attacking into syms honestly.

Helps that some of them still put down teleporter for whatever reason.

But if your team is reasonably co-ordinated and reasonably aggressive she's not impossible to deal with.

Things is, they have 75 shields.

I can throw down 100 health for a group and pump in 150 health per second individually.

I'd be fucked if the teams run an ana to accompany sym but people still think lucio can be a solo healer for whatever reason.

I got screwed by a server disconnect and a disconnected team member yesterday on two matches we were sure to win but I recovered and made it to nearly 2600 in the end. I started grouping once I got around 2500 so that helped a lot. I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel...
it's the matchmaking train coming to send me back to elo hell.

Do supports still get completely boned in placement matches? I did all of mine in season 1 with a group of 3, and I ended up playing support every round. I ended up many, many points below them. I played nothing but Zarya in S2 and placed in platinum despite nonstop ragequitters.

They fixed the support issue in season 2 but unfortunately the player distribution among ranks was terrible. Season 3 is almost completely based on your ending rank from season 2 with some adjustments to spread players out across the entire spectrum of ranks. People still complain but season 3 seems better for most people so far other than the terrible tank meta.

This little guy gives me life.

PI_Pachimari.png

PI_Ghostymari.png

PI_Vampachimari.png

PI_Pachimerry.png

PI_Pachireindeer.png

PI_Gingermari.png

I love these. I'm still sad I didn't get the vampire Pachimari player icon from the Halloween event. :(

FerranMG

What are the contents of Winter lootboxes?
Are you guaranteed a Winter-themed item?
What's the split between normal and Winter-themed items?

Akuun

Been over half a year why do people still refuse to have more than 1 healer in QP?
Why do they think solo healing is even an option for anyone but Ana? 2 heals has been viable for almost every meta since beta yet people still see one healer and go 'DUR GOT ENUFF *WIDOWMAKUH*'
This shit happens in Gold too.

I pick one healer, then everyone else picks a DPS. We get maybe one tank if we're lucky, and it's usually not Reinhardt. Then everyone dives headfirst into the other team because they all expect me to be pocketing them exclusively.

Then I get yelled at for not keeping everyone alive because there's always a Winston or a Tracer on my ass.

I'd be fucked if the teams run an ana to accompany sym but people still think lucio can be a solo healer for whatever reason.
There was one game in competitive where we won fairly easily because the other team apparently didn't realize no one was playing a healer on their side.

Chance

This shit happens in Gold too.

I pick one healer, then everyone else picks a DPS. We get maybe one tank if we're lucky, and it's usually not Reinhardt. Then everyone dives headfirst into the other team because they all expect me to be pocketing them exclusively.

Then I get yelled at for not keeping everyone alive because there's always a Winston or a Tracer on my ass.

That's when you switch to the hero you have the most fun with and (often, in my experience) win with a crazy no-healer no-tank comp.

I haven't had much trouble beating teams with Symmetra in comp yet but I did draw an Eichenwalde and Hollywood match. If you don't capture within the first 2 minutes you are going to have a bad time. I think you really need to take the other team down fast because once the generator is up things can be problematic even if you eventually destroy it. I've found that Sombra is pretty good for getting behind enemy lines, finding the generator and destroying it, but you are giving up a lot of time and resources to do so and leaving your team to 5v6. As Symmetra, I think I've lost 1 of 8 games with 2 draws.

In QP I had a Symmetra on KOTH that never put up a generator or a teleporter across three rounds of play. I thought they might be trolling but they were in a 3-stack and it didn't seem like it. I've also seen a lot of Symmetra's using teleporter in QP and even got yelled at once for not using teleporter on first point when I put down the generator (we won).

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
TBF I've also had some pretty good success running sym on defense myself, so ymmv.

I've had teams break through even when shield generator is up though, but it does buy a good bit of time usually. 75 shields still mean nothing if the enemy team can combo ults correctly.

I don't see her as super impossible to counter, at least at my level.

Veelk

Banned
TBF I've also had some pretty good success running sym on defense myself, so ymmv.

I've had teams break through even when shield generator is up though, but it does buy a good bit of time usually. 75 shields still mean nothing if the enemy team can combo ults correctly.

I don't see her as super impossible to counter, at least at my level.

I've had teams be able to counter her on payload maps, but never on 2CP maps. I'm not sure what the difference is. That's QP though, not Comp.

I've had teams be able to counter her on payload maps, but never on 2CP maps. I'm not sure what the difference is. That's QP though, not Comp.

2CP was already sort of miserable but Symm has made it even worse. The other day in comp I had a draw on Anubis, both teams never capped the first point. Hanamura is now Draw City as well. It's just not fun.

One thing I don't like about Sym right now is that the shield generator is just so much better than the teleporter. I honestly can't figure out why I would ever use the teleporter over the generator right now.

Yup i clearly jinxed it.
Wouldnt be surprised at this rate if i fall outta diamond.

People just do not care lol picking widow on anubis defence for A and B then another player switching to bastion then last minute going reinhardt.

Same widow on attack doing nothing. We tell her at the start if it doesnt work switch goes the full round attack widow. Wow
We cant push aswell cause team thinks 3dps 1 healer 1 tank is fine lol.

Yeah, I still wouldn't run Symmetra on attack. While it can work and I've had success with it on Hanamura, I would not recommend it. You give up way too much to risk using a solo healer or replacing a DPS or tank.

Speaking of Symmetra in general, the generator is way too good to ever use the teleporter unless out of pure desperation. Teleporter is laughable now. The moving barrier is good for engages and chasing but doesn't feel that great to use and looks kind of ridiculous. The cooldown feels kind of long too. Once the generator is up, it's hard to not want to build a turret nest around it to help protect it but in doing so you are giving up some of your more useful tools. I've started leaving it unprotected in most situations. The extended beam range on her primary fire is great and was definitely needed though.

Symmetra still feels like a defense character rather than a support character, but she still seems to fit best in comps with a solo healer. I love new Symmetra but wish they spent a little more time tweaking things.

Yesterday was not a good day for me ranked wise.

Started at 2590, ended up at 2545.

I think I won like 2 matches last night out of 6.

Kind of a bummer, but I really didn't lose much SR since I was playing my heart out.

I think the point at which I called it a night was when I was playing S76, and the other team's Pharah with a pocket Mercy was too smart to ever let me find her. So I pick off other enemies but of course whenever she gets a kill and hides again the all chat is "WHY CAN'T SOLDIER KILL PHARAH?"

They tell me to switch off so I do, then someone else takes S76, proceeds to get zero kills for half the round and then switches to Genji.

Still had gold elims as a Lucio by the end of that match. I gave up.

bjork

Just had a game where I only died twice, once with about 30 seconds left and the other was just before we won. I only got 6 eliminations but I still felt like I helped, so I'll say that was a good game for a change.

She's a professional weightlifter and bodybuilder in the lore. That was her career before joining the Russian military to fight the Omnics.

So technically, the Weightlifter Zarya skins are comparable to Young Ana/76/Reaper or Slipstream Tracer, something tied to her past.
Yes I get that but all those skins you listed are still battle uniforms ya know

Trey

i think symmetra can only thrive in comp because the attacking team won't generally be coordinated enough to immediately dive on to the point. Everyone is too used to the poke and pick behind rein shield gameplay, which is just fine by symmetra. once you get passed her nest, symmetra is a liability in a fair teamfight without shield gen up.

One thing I don't like about Sym right now is that the shield generator is just so much better than the teleporter. I honestly can't figure out why I would ever use the teleporter over the generator right now.

this was readily apparent the moment they announced the shield gen. Then we saw how much shielding it gave, and we all threw our heads back and laughed.

DevilDog

Roadhog is so bullshit, I'm happy he doesn't get his cheap kills, even when he is on my team.

I hope that anyone who uses him can't one shot kill anything in the game due to bugs.

I'm fucking mad.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Symmetra's range needs to be reverted.
Symmetra's shield barrier needs its health cut in half or put on a timer and possibly have its range reduced
Photon barrier having more HP than Winston's shield is fucking stupid

The first 2 more than anything. The barrier thing is whatever, but the first 2 are the main things.
It's random, or super frame-precise. Sometimes when I'm Mei I can iceblock before he shoots me, sometimes I get instagibbed despite spamming Shift.

It's likely Roadhog knowing to hold down left lcick while hooking vs Roadhog not knowing to hold down left click

The one thing I'd change about Sym is her Shield Generator.

Attack on King's Row earlier. I stick one behind the wall. We capture the point. I immediately get the generator back so I can put it down again. I leave it near the tunnel. That allows us to reach the next checkpoint with shields. Upon doing so I immediately get my generator again so I can once again put it down to help make that final push. Which we do, with ease.

That's not right.

Once I put it down that should be that. Perhaps once a point is captured or lost we could have the option to remove the generator and rebuild the ult.

LiK

kinda wanna play snowball offensive for the sprays

kinda don't wanna play a garbage game mode

There's one for completing without losing a round and I did that and the spray didn't unlock. People also leave and the match suddenly ended. Stopped playing it.

Sullichin

Symmetra's shield barrier needs its health cut in half or put on a timer and possibly have its range reduced

The first 2 more than anything. The barrier thing is whatever, but the first 2 are the main things.

It's likely Roadhog knowing to hold down left lcick while hooking vs Roadhog not knowing to hold down left click
Wait, holding down left click?
Someone explain what the roadhog hook combo should be. I feel like I'm pretty good at getting hooks and not always so great in the followup.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Wait, holding down left click?
Someone explain what the roadhog hook combo should be. I feel like I'm pretty good at getting hooks and not always so great in the followup.

If you hook someone and you hold down left click when they're hooked, you will always take priority over the enemy. You will always shoot before they can react. The melee combo is following the shot immediately with a melee hit

Akuun

I would love to pocket a Pharah to see what all this Pharmercy talk is all about, but every group I'm in seems to think one healer is enough.

ricelord

so make her unplayabe again?

Top Bottom