• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

I wish I could rank up back to where I was last season simply so I can play with people that actually understand this game. Enemy was holding the main choke on Nepal Village with their whole team behind a Reinhardt. I am spamming group up trying to get us to flank from the high ground but instead they insist on going through main like lambs to a slaughter

Don't know what rank youre in but even in diamond it's like this. I don't think you get overwhelmingly "good" players until you're in masters.

Blues1990

What a strange person. Why was he throwing? This game needs a reputation system but I'm worried that might get abused

I couldn't tell. When someone had asked, he refused to answer. Maybe he was going on a downward spiral, I don't know.

And sorry for what had happened, Cyborg. I wished we had competent teammates, rather than the ones we got today. :(

Just opened this chest, needless to say I was stoked :)

Nice!

I got a purple and a gold last night, an emote for Pharah and Santa Torb skin.
Holiday skins I've gotten are Torb, Sombra, and Zarya. I have 3000+ so will def buy Zenyatta, assuming I don't get it in the next week or so.

Let me rephrase this. At some point players stopped picking D.Va for her unique flight and DM. Flight became just the the ability to move vertically, and DM is more or less just a delay. That's all well and good, but people are picking her almost purely for the stat pool rather than for her uniqueness. Rather than use interesting uses of her mechanics, it's typically optimal to boost into one spot then just alternate M1/M2 because her health/DPS allow her to win almost any encounter in some way.

I, and many other players, dont find that very engaging to play as or against. I'd personally rather they put emphasis on her unique tools rather than just dumping stats into her until she's strong.

I find her very intriguing to play as. She's such a "bob and weave" style character. Get in your face and get out. There's nobody in the game like that except Winston. I don't think the update giving her 100 more health changed what she was before. It just made a lot of people realize she's good. I was always a dva lover from day one. Even when matrix was one and done to be saved for ult protection. Her flight mechanics are really fun to use too. Knocking people into pitfalls or off perches. It's all good stuff. Every button and thing she can do is useful and being a front line Fighter is actually kind of rare in this game. She's one of the few that can pull it off effectively because of her "second life". She's one of the most aggressive characters in the game and I love that about her.

hypernima

Banned
OW Diary 2:

I have to learn to be more aware of my team's mistakes. It was about a few seconds left and someone snuck onto the B point at Hanamura. So it's 2-2. I though it would have been a draw but no, we go on to a matchbreaker. Our team has 5:34 to go, they have 1:00. So all we have to do is defend for one minute, and then cap a point and we win. I locked in as soldier, there's a Reinhardt, Mercy, Bastion, D.va etc so we look pretty solid. But I notice everyone is on the back near the point. I try to notion to the Rinehardt to push forward to the gate but no one moves up but me. I'm farthest near the rock but I realize I probably should have pushed more into the steps room.

Anyways we were doing fine but the last 30 seconds they push and push hard and I was the only dps so I couldn't carry damage wise. So it's 2-3. Then they all have ultimate by now so they just push hard to B. No tanks at all were trying to hold the point. Maybe I should have just switched to Zarya but then I dunno how we would have held it.

It was pretty embarassing, I feel like Big Smoke on the fucking train mission.
All we had to do was hold the damn point for 1 minute.

Fancolors

10 boxes and the most valuable holiday skin was Pharah's.

PLTZJRh.gif

cyborg009

Banned
I couldn't tell. When someone had asked, he refused to answer. Maybe he was going on a downward spiral, I don't know.

And sorry for what had happened, Cyborg. I wished we had competent teammates, rather than the ones we got today. :(

Yea nimbani on defense was great until everyone push to far up and got wiped out by 3 ultimate. then junkrat tells me to switch off from symmetra all while they have a pharah eating us alive........

dorado was just plain awful.

KiraFA37

Just a question, does anybody else feel that their SR loss/win has stagnated? With that I mean that for the past days each time I won and lost my SR changed with 22 or 23. I just had a game as Lucio in which I played very well and I only gained 22, I hoped to gain a bit more. Last week I played 6 matches and 3 wins and losses and my delta SR was 0, each time I gained/lost 23 SR.

caesar

Banned
I find her very intriguing to play as. She's such a "bob and weave" style character. Get in your face and get out. There's nobody in the game like that except Winston. I don't think the update giving her 100 more health changed what she was before. It just made a lot of people realize she's good. I was always a dva lover from day one. Even when matrix was one and done to be saved for ult protection. Her flight mechanics are really fun to use too. Knocking people into pitfallts or off perches. It's all good stuff. Every button and thing she can do is useful and being a front line Fighter is actually kind of rare in this game. She's one of the few that can pull it off effectively because of her "second life". She's one of the most aggressive characters in the game and I love that about her.

Genji and Tracer do that too. Lets not kid ourselves the hp and extra speed made a big difference.

Genji and Tracer do that too. Lets not kid ourselves the hp and extra speed made a big difference.

You can boil down anything in this game as engage, disengage. It's an fps.
Those two are meant to flank and work their way from back line to the front. Dva is the opposite and meant to draw attention.

Man looking back on some pages it's crazy how many people are hating her. Pretty amazing that the 100 HP buff made her usage skyrocket to the point that people just now realize her strength.

cyborg009

Banned
Just a question, does anybody else feel that their SR loss/win has stagnated? With that I mean that for the past days each time I won and lost my SR changed with 22 or 23. I just had a game as Lucio in which I played very well and I only gained 22, I hoped to gain a bit more. Last week I played 6 matches and 3 wins and losses and my delta SR was 0, each time I gained/lost 23 SR.

You really feel the gain SR when your on a winning streak.

caesar

Banned
You can boil down anything in this game as engage, disengage. It's an fps.
Those two are meant to flank and work their way from back line to the front. Dva is the opposite and meant to draw attention.

Man looking back on some pages it's crazy how many people are hating her. Pretty amazing that the 100 HP buff made her usage skyrocket to the point that people just now realize her strength.

She is strong because of the buff though... she was arguably the worst hero in the game before, bottom 3.

AbaFadi

Banned
She is strong because of the buff though... she was arguably the worst hero in the game before, bottom 3.

She definitely was not bottom 3. No way you can say heroes like junkrat, symmetra, torb, bastion, mercy, etc. were better choices than D.Va.

No way man. I strongly feel she was simply underused and the buff got people to turn their heads. I actually liked the old dva because she was always available to pick. Nobody realized the beast she is.

HiiiLife

I wish I could rank up back to where I was last season simply so I can play with people that actually understand this game. Enemy was holding the main choke on Nepal Village with their whole team behind a Reinhardt. I am spamming group up trying to get us to flank from the high ground but instead they insist on going through main like lambs to a slaughter

High platinum here. There are dumbasses in every tier.

Oh cool, I left a second too early when the game already said match complete and got a ten minute ban. Glad you are after the real villains here Blizzard and not the dozens of leavers I'm constantly stuck with.

Nimby

Banned
D.Va was Pharah/Soldier levels as of last patch. Capable heroes who were either outclassed or had issues because of the current heroes ran.

Bottom 5 I would say now is:
Hanzo
Torbjorn
Mercy
Junkrat
Bastion

caesar

Banned
She definitely was not bottom 3. No way you can say heroes like junkrat, symmetra, torb, bastion, mercy, etc. were better choices than D.Va.

Symmetra, torb and bastion I'll give you. The other two nope.

You're delusional.

The delusional people are the ones calling for winston and widow to get buffs lmao.

No way man. I strongly feel she was simply underused and the buff got people to turn their heads. I actually liked the old dva because she was always available to pick. Nobody realized the beast she is.

Yeah people realised shes strong now, after she was buffed to fuck. Before the buff, she was trash and only had matrix.

Nimby

Banned
Reaper is still pretty effective, a lot more than people give him credit for. Carryhook/Koreans use him a lot more than NA/EU teams. The main issue is D.Va who has created a whole slew of issues not to mention Ana + Tanks.

I'm afraid 1v1 is going to be dead in less than a month from now.

I've noticed more and more games are all about trolling people instead of actually playing.

People like to hide in the spawn room and run circles around the walls to avoid conflict at all cost. Naturally any character that doesn't have a mobility option, or DOES have a way to heal themself makes this a nightmare. You're basically running around for 4 minutes wasting time, and there are enough characters in the game that this turns into a legitimate issue.

Basically, people are sucking the fun out of it. If they get Zarya, or Symmetra, or Torb, or Bastion, or whoever.

It's definitely becoming more and more of a problem. Unless this is just a high skill level thing.

Just over lunch I played the weirdest game. To the point that I'm just not having fun, solely because the other player isn't actually there to play the game.

• First round - McCree. I ended up with a perfection from across the map. Enemy actually tried, just missed a lot.
  • Second round - Zarya. They killed themselves with the mortar shots.
  • Third round - Symmetra. They tried to set up a trap room in the spawn room, but when I became aware of this it just turned into a standoff because they were spreading turrets around faster than I could safely destroy them.
  • Fourth round - Pharah. They playing perfectly normal.
  • Fifth round - Soldier. Normal again.
  • Sixth round - DVa. Boosted out to the center and did the fancy sit emote until I killed her and finished the match.

Like, what is this? Do people go into 1v1 and only bother with the character they know how to play as?

Yup cool. First point on Lijiang, they were kicking our ass, so a minute in dude says "I'm just going to leave."

Good to know it isn't people getting disconnected or any semi honorable reason. Just fucking babies tanking my sr.

Kito

Finally hit Diamond on PC! Woo! Pure solo queue, mostly using Mercy.

I turned some losing matches around by going attack Sym. It's all about killing Ana first, and then the rest fall like dominoes... unless you have a Junkrat, then you're just riding out a loss.

Hanzo
Torbjorn
Mercy
Junkrat
Bastion

I would replace Junkrat or Mercy with Widowmaker, but otherwise I'd agree, yeah. I also would say that Sombra might be borderline bottom 5 at least, but I think she'll need a bit more time to settle.

Paltheos

Oh cool, I left a second too early when the game already said match complete and got a ten minute ban. Glad you are after the real villains here Blizzard and not the dozens of leavers I'm constantly stuck with.

... the game forces a warning agreement on your screen when you attempt to leave early (anything before 'victory'/'defeat'). Did you not see it?

carlos

Had a teammate in comp start a match glitched out where he couldnt move; he did the honorable thing and left to cancel the match while taking the SR hit. first time hearing about that kind of glitch.

and yeah, after 6 hours with no sr movement, I finally got a W streak and went from 2600 to 3000 in about 3 hours. I don't enjoy playing soldier 76 bust he's a must have.

Ambient80

D.Va was Pharah/Soldier levels as of last patch. Capable heroes who were either outclassed or had issues because of the current heroes ran.

Hanzo
Torbjorn
Mercy
Junkrat
Bastion

Why is Bastion so low in competitive? I'm asking from a "really new to comp" perspective. Seems like you can't get people away from him in QP or low level comp.

Mupod

I'm afraid 1v1 is going to be dead in less than a month from now.

I've noticed more and more games are all about trolling people instead of actually playing.

People like to hide in the spawn room and run circles around the walls to avoid conflict at all cost. Naturally any character that doesn't have a mobility option, or DOES have a way to heal themself makes this a nightmare. You're basically running around for 4 minutes wasting time, and there are enough characters in the game that this turns into a legitimate issue.

Basically, people are sucking the fun out of it. If they get Zarya, or Symmetra, or Torb, or Bastion, or whoever.

It's definitely becoming more and more of a problem. Unless this is just a high skill level thing.

Just over lunch I played the weirdest game. To the point that I'm just not having fun, solely because the other player isn't actually there to play the game.

• First round - McCree. I ended up with a perfection from across the map. Enemy actually tried, just missed a lot.
  • Second round - Zarya. They killed themselves with the mortar shots.
  • Third round - Symmetra. They tried to set up a trap room in the spawn room, but when I became aware of this it just turned into a standoff because they were spreading turrets around faster than I could safely destroy them.
  • Fourth round - Pharah. They playing perfectly normal.
  • Fifth round - Soldier. Normal again.
  • Sixth round - DVa. Boosted out to the center and did the fancy sit emote until I killed her and finished the match.

Like, what is this? Do people go into 1v1 and only bother with the character they know how to play as?

1v1 is horrible in general and I never want to do it again. But man I fear no one if I get Zarya.

... the game forces a warning agreement on your screen when you attempt to leave early (anything before 'victory'/'defeat'). Did you not see it?

It's really not a big deal. Just a little frustrating in the moment that even though the game was over I was anxious to leave too early. And yeah I just mashed the buttons to get out because there is always a prompt there, didn't pay attention to see if this one was different.

It's just the normal leniency given to real leavers that is hampering my enjoyment of the game.

Why is Bastion so low in competitive? I'm asking from a "really new to comp" perspective. Seems like you can't get people away from him in QP or low level comp.

Because a a lot of characters are balanced based around their mobility and their accuracy. Bastion being a stationary target removes that part of the equation. So he becomes easily destroyed by anyone with the right approach instead of his natural counters.

Blues1990

I'm feeling pretty bummed that I can't get anywhere going solo in competitive mode. I sometimes wish I had players that I can always team up with, but that isn't possible, as people are usually on/off and don't even want to play that mode.

antitrop

Non-environmental kill Lucio POTG. I didn't realize I got the Mercy in that too, until the end of the game. PharMercy on KOTH... not even in Quick Play.

Yr9V0Rh.gif

AbaFadi

Banned
Symmetra, torb and bastion I'll give you. The other two nope.

The delusional people are the ones calling for winston and widow to get buffs lmao.

Yeah people realised shes strong now, after she was buffed to fuck. Before the buff, she was trash and only had matrix.

Maybe you just played with a lot of bad D.Va's before. I made masters in season 2 using only D.Va in like the first 2 weeks when making masters was a lot harder since barely anyone was in masters at the time. During this time there was the 2-2-2 meta, and there was no point in using D.Va over Rein+Zarya combo. Doesn't mean she was bad though. She would really only be bad at higher ranks where people run meta team comps. At the lower ranks (Diamond and below) she was definitely viable.

Jellie

Non-environmental kill Lucio POTG. I didn't realize I got the Mercy in that too, until the end of the game. PharMercy on KOTH... not even in Quick Play.

Yr9V0Rh.gif

Looks like the Genji kill at the end was an environmental kill?
Wish I could hear the ping ping ping as you headshot the pharah. It's so satisfying.

antitrop

Looks like the Genji kill at the end was an environmental kill?
Wish I could hear the ping ping ping as you headshot the pharah. It's so satisfying.

Nah, Mei got the last hit on Genji with her left click as he was falling. It's hard to tell in the GIF, though.

Blues1990

Nah, Mei got the last hit on Genji with her left click as he was falling. It's hard to tell in the GIF, though.

Yeah, on my screen (as Mei), I delt 54 damage to Genji.

Thanks for the fun games in QP, man. Sorry that I wasn't up to snuff, as toady hasn't gone well for me in comp.

Lose 50 SR after two matches where we had leavers.

Finally win a KOTH match and get three golds as Soldier and generally kick ass - get 10 SR back.

Thanks Blizzard.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.

Hanzo
Torbjorn
Mercy
Junkrat
Bastion

wtf junkrat and mercy are my mains :mad:

Skii

wtf junkrat and mercy are my mains :mad:

Well Mercy is now easily the weakest support hero and Junkrat is second weakest defence hero. Doesn't mean they're bad and if you can play them well (there must be some people out there) then it can carry you to diamond at least.

antitrop

Well Mercy is now easily the weakest support hero and Junkrat is second weakest defence hero. Doesn't mean they're bad and if you can play them well (there must be some people out there) then it can carry you to diamond at least.

I do fine with Mercy in Diamond. I think Ana/Zen is the best Support combo right now for solo-queue competitive, though.

When you get a good team that communicates and Lucios that aren't afraid to Speed Boost, yeah, it goes like it should, but those situations are so rare that I find more general value in Zen.

Skii

I do fine with Mercy in Diamond. I think Ana/Zen is the best Support combo right now, though.

Yeah Mercy can probably carry to masters at least actually but not too sure about Junkrat. I just vehemently hate Junkrat because of what they do at gold/platinum level.

Top Bottom