• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Apathy

gvGPE4k.jpg

so is he a fighter that is jewish or does he fight jews?

vanty

Got the Nutcracker skin finally. Only the second legendary I've unboxed for a character I actually use (I have both jester skins and the Halloween skin for Junkrat and maybe 5 minutes using him ahah) and the first was just the different color of the junkyard skin for D.va that I'd bought the moment I hit 1000 credits maybe a week earlier.

I'll take a break from the game now and go back to some singleplayer backlog stuff.

Oh yeah and I posted this on reddit the other day.

Cappa

Banned
I still feel like torb is so bad honestly, sym or no sym.

By the time Torb gets enough scrap and Symm charges her Ult enough to get a shield generator, its already to late.

I dont think Ive played in any game in competitive where Ive lost to a team that ran Torb/Symmetra. I think that combo is just really bad and out of the two, I think Symm is the only viable one. I really hope they dont nerf Symmetra back, shes fine as she is.

By the time Torb gets enough scrap and Symm charges her Ult enough to get a shield generator, its already to late.
You can get Sym's shield generator in 20 seconds.

while this is obviously very lucky, in every game where our team is defending I consistently have 40%+ ult charge within moments of the match starting.
It seems a bit too nonsensical to actually be intended to be offensive.

Unless "Jew" is a derogatory word and I wasn't aware.
The word itself is not derogatory but it is used in a derogatory way by anti-semites.

The word itself is not derogatory but it is used in a derogatory way by anti-semites.

While I obviously can't be entirely sure, it seems like this particular case is just kind of a reference to some absurd fictional fighting game or something like that.

Can't tell if that says "3D" or "30" though. If it's the former, then I'm probably right.

ElyrionX

Had a Widow and a Hanzo on my team trying to take point B on Anubis. I tell them to change and Widow says, "This is QP." Hanzo refuses to change because Widow doesn't want to change. Fucking kids.

And then in the same game, we had a Zen. Twice, I was beside him at half health and spamming the I need healing line and both times he didn't heal me, choosing to attack instead. At the end of the game, he says, "Support with gold elims. Fking team." Yes no shit, you had gold elims as a support when you weren't doing anything related to support with the goddamn hero.

finalflame

Had a Widow and a Hanzo on my team trying to take point B on Anubis. I tell them to change and Widow says, "This is QP." Hanzo refuses to change because Widow doesn't want to change. Fucking kids.

And then in the same game, we had a Zen. Twice, I was beside him at half health and spamming the I need healing line and both times he didn't heal me, choosing to attack instead. At the end of the game, he says, "Support with gold elims. Fking team." Yes no shit, you had gold elims as a support when you weren't doing anything related to support with the goddamn hero.

Sorry bud, but that's QP for ya. I pretty much treat QP as "everything goes and nothing matters", even though I try to make a solid effort every time and fill the team comp because I just don't have fun when we're losing. If it's hopeless I just pick a hero I don't usually play and practice.

Musician

It was QP though.

ElyrionX

Sorry bud, but that's QP for ya. I pretty much treat QP as "everything goes and nothing matters", even though I try to make a solid effort every time and fill the team comp because I just don't have fun when we're losing. If it's hopeless I just pick a hero I don't usually play and practice.

Yeah, I probably am trying too hard at QP.

finalflame

Yeah, I probably am trying too hard at QP.

It's alright, I know the feel. I also absolutely don't have fun unless I'm winning; getting steamrolled, QP or not, is just boring. I simply can't bring myself to play this game like team deathmatch because reducing its depth to that feels tedious..there's a reason I've never gotten into team DM shooters like CS and COD, but Overwatch has hundred of hours played by me.

That's why nowadays, as tilting as it can be sometimes, I just go straight into competitive. At least you USUALLY have some semblance of people trying to play properly as a team, save for the few times when you get complete jackoffs on your team.

It's alright, I know the feel. I also absolutely don't have fun unless I'm winning; getting steamrolled, QP or not, is just boring. I simply can't bring myself to play this game like team deathmatch because reducing its depth to that feels tedious..there's a reason I've never gotten into team DM shooters like CS and COD, but Overwatch has hundred of hours played by me.

That's why nowadays, as tilting as it can be sometimes, I just go straight into competitive. At least you USUALLY have some semblance of people trying to play properly as a team, save for the few times when you get complete jackoffs on your team.

Yeah it's kind of a weird cycle really. I usually look at all the modes and then end up playing Competitive which is a pretty bad way to look at it. It's kind of a feeling of "well, the games are probably going to suck anyway so might aswell try and earn some comp points whilst it does". Then you lose the majority of games and see your SR go down and the feeling of shit continues, hahaha. I dunno, playing Overwatch lately has made me pretty anxious and I find all the Arcade modes a chore to play. I honestly just feel like the game needs more "fun for the sake of being fun" game modes. I'd love a permanent PVE mode for example. All I put in to this category right now is Players vs AI.

It's sad to have this mindset but I've encountered so many bad players and games recently that playing with people is just not overly fun for me right now.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I find just not caring about SR pretty liberating.

Well, I do care in some measure, but things seem to balance out pretty well for me this season. Even improved really because I did advance quite far from my original SR placement.

finalflame

Yeah it's kind of a weird cycle really. I usually look at all the modes and then end up playing Competitive which is a pretty bad way to look at it. It's kind of a feeling of "well, the games are probably going to suck anyway so might aswell try and earn some comp points whilst it does". Then you lose the majority of games and see your SR go down and the feeling of shit continues, hahaha. I dunno, playing Overwatch lately has made me pretty anxious and I find all the Arcade modes a chore to play. I honestly just feel like the game needs more "fun for the sake of being fun" game modes. I'd love a permanent PVE mode for example. All I put in to this category right now is Players vs AI.

It's sad to have this mindset but I've encountered so many bad players and games recently that playing with people is just not overly fun for me right now.

Yah, my usual routine is: login to OW, do about ~10 minutes in the practice range to calibrate my aim, play a game of QP as warmup, then look at my friends list and see if any of my solid usual pairings/teammates are on to try and form a 2-3 stack. If they are not, I just start solo queuing. In solo queue, I might get some bad games -- if I get two in a row, I stop and go do something else, or the tilt will cause another broken desk. If I do have a good game, I try to pick out who the standout players were and try to friend/ask them to group separately from the rest of the team (NEVER play with more than a 3 stack unless you're entirely confident your team is good enough to carry another 1-2 people against a fully mounted, coordinated 6-stack).

And so it goes. I've gotten some good games/win streaks this way; placed 2550 this season, dropped down on a losing streak to 1900, then climbed back up to 2601, where I now sit, hoping to achieve Diamond before the season ends.

But yah, arcade gets 0 play time from me. If I want loot crates I just throw Blizzard some $$ for the insane amount of playtime and enjoyment I get from the game.

Well, I do care in some measure, but things seem to balance out pretty well for me this season. Even improved really because I did advance quite far from my original SR placement.

I care less about SR and more about losing matches where I know if people just listened and studied the game, we would not have lost.

"We need a Rein on this choke, we'll get rolled without one"
"Guys, let's take high ground, set up here, once they get under the tunnel reset on the other side and drop down on them"
"Don't overextend; this is defense, you can't get picked or we'll get rolled"
"Push in and don't idle at the choke letting them build ults, immediately engage"
"We need a burst healer, a Zen and Lucio probably won't work with triple tanks"

etc. But people don't like to take the constructive feedback. Sometimes you win anyways, but it sucks to think those people will continue playing games without paying attention to strategies that make games significantly more likely to end in victory.

Cappa

Banned

When I stopped caring about SR is when I actually started climbing and made Diamond. I really want to stay in Diamond though, because matches overall seem to be of better quality, but when I dropped to 1900 last season and just said who cares games have been much less stressful and fun.

Id like to see if I can make Master this season, Im 350+ pts away still but Im not stressing over it. If i get there I get there, if not whatever.. theres always next season.

Its also a dumb meaningless goal(considering alot of the ranking has to do with only playtime), but Id like to finish in the top 100 in Mei on Overbuff. Im #164 right now.

Pachimari

Hmm, I think I read something on Twitter last night that if you replied in-game you could get some Christmas stuff? Have Blizzard "only" given away the 5 loot boxes or is there more?

[edit] Oh wow, opened my first loot box, and there is a santa costume for Torbjorn.

Spirit3

So ive been doing Mystery all night. Forget that we have played over 20, only won 2 and lost 18 that's a story for another day but I have yet to play as either Soldier or DVa, my two mains. Does this mode skew to screwing you over and dumping you with your least played over and over and over again?

So ive been doing Mystery all night. Forget that we have played over 20, only won 2 and lost 18 that's a story for another day but I have yet to play as either Soldier or DVa, my two mains. Does this mode skew to screwing you over and dumping you with your least played over and over and over again?

Nah, you're just super unlucky. I got both 76 and Mei in one match and I don't think the other team was having a good time.

It just happens.

I swear I went like 4 days straight without playing as Roadhog. RNG gonna RNG.

Antiwhippy

I feel like I don't get much SR as sym because they don't really count shield generator as fire points. feelsbadman

They should count like, shield health recovered.

NeoRaider

Was playing Arcade for almost 2 hours won only 1! game.
What a fucking disaster. If it wasn't for 3 boxes i would never play this piece of crap again.

Antiwhippy

Mmmm, not that it's strictly the lucio's fault, but just had a match where a lucio wouldn't ult when I ask him to in order to initiate a fight and we lost promptly even though we had 5 ults.

This post is more saying that please for the love of god learn to time your ults lucio. It's not a strictly defensive thing.

I played for about the same amount of time and won 6.

I don't think the game is to blame here.

Well that's the beauty of Arcade. Unless you're in a group or playing Elimination there's a lot of factors that contribute to the games being random and the outcome being luck based.

I've been on winning streaks in Arcade too but that doesn't stop it being shit and mostly based on luck when you're playing Mystery Heroes and No Limits.

Top Bottom