• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Blues1990

I report every griefer I come across, yet there are still fucking tons of them. Blizzard does not follow up and do anything about it fast enough to make an impact. This shit has been happening nonstop since last season. The fact I spent over an hour for two draws and a win, only to lose MORE points because I lost a game due to leavers/griefers makes it EXTREMELY discouraging.

I can join you in competitive, you know. Invite me already!

LAM09

Two people leave a match and were stuck in spawn, so I use Bastion to try and do something and get thrown out for inactivity.

Blizzard need to get there finger out.

Xater

Serious question: should Blizzard rethink the point loss if people leave the game in competitive?

I just think it's super unfair to potentially lose a lot of points be abuse some assholes just decide to leave. Like give the winners their points, but don't punish the people from the losing side who stuck it out to the end.

Jellie

Serious question: should Blizzard rethink the point loss if people leave the game in competitive?

I just think it's super unfair to potentially lose a lot of points be abuse some assholes just decide to leave.
Nope because it'll cause the team to pick out one person and bully them to leave if they are losing in order for the others to not lose SR. Will just lead to scapegoating.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I just straight up can't play 76 with Mercy on my team anymore

Every time she ditches me when I ult. Every fucking time. Multiple times we could have wiped the team but she, not even solo healing, ditches me the second I ult to go heal Roadhog or some shit

cyborg009

Banned
I think I'm starting to hate roadhog picks now. it's such a gamble if the person is actually good with the hooks. I was down 0-2 in KOTH and when everyone told RH to switch to Reinhardt we won the match.

Jellie

I just straight up can't play 76 with Mercy on my team anymore

Every time she ditches me when I ult. Every fucking time. Multiple times we could have wiped the team but she, not even solo healing, ditches me the second I ult to go heal Roadhog or some shit
Worst is Ana. Just being Reinhardt keeping my shield up. Oh Nanoboost? OK charges in. Dies. Sees Ana sniping enemies on kill cam instead of healing.

Some No Limits teammates who pick genjis against a team that has 3 symmetras and a mystery duel where I squander 4 match points and lose 4-5.

Arcade mode is so great

Geez this game is bipolar today. Every match is a landslide, alternating between wins and losses. Not a lot of fun. did like 5 payload maps and none of them ever got past the first checkpoint on either side.

NeoRaider

Some days i feel like Hanzo on PC is bigger problem than Widowmaker.

Today i had both good Widows and Hanzos against me and it can be frustrating. Hanzo is shooting so fast one arrow after another and that is huge problem imo. Also he can kill you with just one arrow so he is like a Widow on steroids or something. You just can't escape them on PC in QP. Every fucking team has one Hanzo and one Widow.

AbaFadi

Banned
Geez this game is bipolar today. Every match is a landslide, alternating between wins and losses. Not a lot of fun. did like 5 payload maps and none of them ever got past the first checkpoint on either side.

Yeah matchmaking has been horrible these past few days. Gonna take a few days off of ow competitive

KiraFA37

I have been messing with my settings, turned my sens down to 10 anything lower feels too slow for me, and doing some warming up in the practice range before heading in to a game and I must say my aim has improved somewhat. I'm hitting a lot more sleep darts in matches as Ana now then before and my healing as her has improved. Unfortenately this has not led to better games in comp. Please help me out of low platinum into high platinum, I'll get to master myself but please get me out of this mess (I'm just satly I got a bad team on comp in which we lost to a silver -_-).

benzopil

Decided to main Ana today on PS4 and wow, she's really great character (who knew lol). I don't see her often, maybe because people are afraid of their aim, but if you pick Ana people pick tanks, soldiers etc. -- you don't need amazing aim for this comp.

7 wins in a row, reached 3300 SR. Maybe I'll finally reach Master tomorrow.

Jblanks

Anyone on PS4 want to group up, I'm close to Master but I'm nervous about solo queuing even though that's all I've done so far.

butts

5 placement matches, 5 losses. 4 filled with griefers and assholes, the other was a stomp anyways. Also in between those losses were 5 matches in a row cancelled when someone left within the first minute. Bad luck or has this game gone to shit lately?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Love watchign Mei and Tracer chase enemies all the way to spawn die and then hearing Tracer's voice come over the game

'WE CUH LOSE NOW GOVNUH'

Anne

Honestly, if there were better ways to deal with unintentional disconnects and rejoins, I would be for making the leave penalty more harsh. I have no mercy for ragequitters, quit twice and get that week long ban.

Love watchign Mei and Tracer chase enemies all the way to spawn die and then hearing Tracer's voice come over the game

'WE CUH LOSE NOW GOVNUH'

I've lost games doing that, like chasing the flanker that's got me tilted for too long, killing him only to realize I was the reason the backline fell apart.

It's a delicate dance, but on the other hand I love when I'm a tank and I keep 2-3 players on the other team busy away from the payload for a good minute while my team pushes.

Fugu

I just think it's super unfair to potentially lose a lot of points be abuse some assholes just decide to leave. Like give the winners their points, but don't punish the people from the losing side who stuck it out to the end.
This is a bad idea for a few reasons. People talk about the potential for boosting, which is a real problem, and harassing teammates to leave, which isn't (since very few people will be altruistic/stupid enough to give up SR for strangers that are yelling at them).

The biggest problem, however, is elo creep, since it creates a situation where the net gain across both teams is not 0. This would inflate skill ratings pretty damn quickly.

You could really just destroy the rating of the guy who disconnects, but a) they kind of already do that and b) that would make your internet connection too big of a factor in determining SR.

The system in place now is a mostly effective compromise. I think that there might be more room for scaling the sr gain/loss after a player leaves based on the game's projected outcome, but that's complicated.

finalflame

This is a bad idea for a few reasons. People talk about the potential for boosting, which is a real problem, and harassing teammates to leave, which isn't (since very few people will be altruistic/stupid enough to give up SR for strangers that are yelling at them).

The biggest problem, however, is elo creep, since it creates a situation where the net gain across both teams is not 0. This would inflate skill ratings pretty damn quickly.

You could really just destroy the rating of the guy who disconnects, but a) they kind of already do that and b) that would make your internet connection too big of a factor in determining SR.

The system in place now is a mostly effective compromise. I think that there might be more room for scaling the sr gain/loss after a player leaves based on the game's projected outcome, but that's complicated.

No it's not. The current system is fucked and fucks over 5 people over 1 person being a piece of shit. I shouldn't have to break my fucking back to win a match and gain 25 SR, only to lose due to a leaver and lose 30 SR, leaving me at a net -5. I had no fucking fault for the leaver, and in a game that is as team focused as Overwatch, you simply cannot win a 5v6 unless multiple people on your team are Top 500 smurfs playing with Gold players. Even then. I don't care what Blizzard does, much more thought needs to be put into it than what is currently being done. I work at a large company, I'm sure the metric is "Well, only 0.05% of games have a leaver, so it's not a priority/doesn't matter much in the scale of our overall population", but for people who ARE in those small amount of games, it's extremely frustrating.

No it's not. The current system is fucked and fucks over 5 people over 1 person being a piece of shit. I shouldn't have to break my fucking back to win a match and gain 25 SR, only to lose due to a leaver and lose 30 SR, leaving me at a net -5. I had no fucking fault for the leaver, and in a game that is as team focused as Overwatch, you simply cannot win a 5v6 unless multiple people on your team are Top 500 smurfs playing with Gold players. Even then. I don't care what Blizzard does, much more thought needs to be put into it than what is currently being done. I work at a large company, I'm sure the metric is "Well, only 0.05% of games have a leaver, so it's not a priority/doesn't matter much in the scale of our overall population", but for people who ARE in those small amount of games, it's extremely frustrating.
It's also extremely frustrating to be heavily penalized just because your power flickered for a milisecond.
:shrug.

They want 6 stacks. Blizzard understands how to build a gaming community, I trust their methods.

finalflame

It's also extremely frustrating to be heavily penalized just because your power flickered for a milisecond.

They want 6 stacks. Blizzard understands how to build a gaming community, I trust their methods

You have 2 minutes to rejoin the game. Don't act like your power flickering for a millisecond will prevent you from rejoining the game. Also, if your internet/power situation is not sufficiently stable, stay out of competitive unless it's fixed. Otherwise, face the penalty.

As for 6-stacks, it's just not going to be the norm, ever. Most people don't have 5 other friends who can consistently meet at the same time to play the game. I trust Blizzard, but more needs to be done to address the afflictions of those who are mostly forced to solo queue.

caesar

Banned
I have been messing with my settings, turned my sens down to 10 anything lower feels too slow for me, and doing some warming up in the practice range before heading in to a game and I must say my aim has improved somewhat. I'm hitting a lot more sleep darts in matches as Ana now then before and my healing as her has improved. Unfortenately this has not led to better games in comp. Please help me out of low platinum into high platinum, I'll get to master myself but please get me out of this mess (I'm just satly I got a bad team on comp in which we lost to a silver -_-).

I can help you if you're on early afternoon.

KiraFA37

I can help you if you're on early afternoon.

Thanks but aren't you 3800 at the moment? I'm hovering at 2630. Your in masters which means you can only group up with people 500 SR apart. Thanks for the offer but I'll have to do some climbing first before I can take you up on it (or you'll have to drop back in to diamond).

-MD-

Spent all week grinding loot boxes to get the Tracer Jingle skin, soon as I save up the 3k I need I get it in a box. Heh. At least I have the 3k for whatever future unlock I want.

Also when did this humping your corpse thing start happening? Everyone does it now, I haven't played since a month or two after launch but I've been humped by dozens of people since starting back up.

Jellie

Thanks but aren't you 3800 at the moment? I'm hovering at 2630. Your in masters which means you can only group up with people 500 SR apart. Thanks for the offer but I'll have to do some climbing first before I can take you up on it (or you'll have to drop back in to diamond).

His smurf is 3100-3200 I think.

Also when did this humping your corpse thing start happening? Everyone does it now, I haven't played since a month or two after launch but I've been humped by dozens of people since starting back up.

Blame the usual FPS culture of teabagging, blame MoonMoon for doing it all the time too.

Also blame the vacation period in the US around the holidays. Lots of kids out.

LAM09

Decide to jump back in after a few hours break and someone leaves when were 1-1. Really is pathetic.

Anyone up for some comp games on PS4 (platinum ATM)?

caesar

Banned

Yeah my main is 3800 but my alt account is just below 3200, I actually want it to be lower but its good enough. I use my smurf to play with friends these days because of the 500 sr thing.

Also, teabagging has been in fps ever since you could crouch. I wouldn't let it bother you.

cHinzo

Finally got the 9 wins for arcade mode. Got the Zarya legendary emote, which is pretty cool, but the rest were all dupes sadly. :\

rulerk1

I think I'm starting to hate roadhog picks now. it's such a gamble if the person is actually good with the hooks. I was down 0-2 in KOTH and when everyone told RH to switch to Reinhardt we won the match.

I hate the roadhogs who dont use his left click. Its so fun! I used to be good with hooks but now that it dropped to 36-8 accuracy, his left click is how I build up salt!.

KiraFA37

Yeah my main is 3800 but my alt account is just below 3200, I actually want it to be lower but its good enough. I use my smurf to play with friends these days because of the 500 sr thing.

Also, teabagging has been in fps ever since you could crouch. I wouldn't let it bother you.

Well sure then, I'll send you message when I'm online.

Rizzi

Still waiting on Symmetra getting a nerf. Oh you had hp? Let me just get rid of all that for you without needing to aim.

cyborg009

Banned
Still waiting on Symmetra getting a nerf. Oh you had hp? Let me just get rid of all that for you without needing to aim.
Unless your team is scattered she shouldn't be able to get the jump on you.

I hate the roadhogs who dont use his left click. Its so fun! I used to be good with hooks but now that it dropped to 36-8 accuracy, his left click is how I build up salt!.

After the first patch nerfing his hook I don't really play him much at all.

I wish we got new weapons. Gold guns are cool but maybe something like a glowing red gun would be cool too.

Frankly, I think gold weapons are already too much.

What I would like is to be able to mis-match weapons. If you unlock a skin, you can use that weapon's skin with any other skin.

Fugu

I'm frustrated by this as well, but I would be more frustrated if a disconnect resulted in a loss of 150 SR just to counterbalance the effects of having all the other losers lose nothing.

You also usually don't lose a lot of SR if someone else on your team leaves since the system is weighted somehow and causes the leaver to lose a big chunk of the total amount. Losing 30 for a loss is a lot and probably means your rating hasn't yet stabalized.

The problem, really, is that there is no perfect solution. Leavers will always ruin the game but having 5v6 games automatically nullified is too easy to exploit (not to mention unfair in the very common case where the 6 in the 5v6 was going to win anyway) and having only the leaver pay necessitates a humongous penalty for leaving to prevent elo creep.

Blizzard's current system is hard to exploit while ensuring that the winning team is adequately compensated. The losing team gets screwed a bit, but that is in deference to the fact that shorthanded teams are more likely to have been losing in the first place while being partially a consequence of the fact that no better alternatives really exist.

ElyrionX

Competitive. Eichenwalde. Solo queue. We get defense first. Hold the first point while I clutch the shit out of the front lines as Zarya, 4 golds, 3 gravitons, 2 full team wipes, didn't die once.

We go on attack. My team decides to go fucking full mongoloid mode; I start off as Zarya but can't get anywhere near the enemy team without Mei started to freeze me and getting focus fired by the entire enemy team, so I switch to D.Va. I go over the buildings onto the top. Start capping, kill 4 of the enemy team's heroes (Mei, McCree, Mercy, and Ana) solo, so they have no healers. Finally get off'd of my mech and killed by Rein, and my team can't follow up and finish taking the point.

This same bullshit continues and we draw. I fucking HATE games where I feel I am putting my entire fucking back into carrying and my team JUST CAN'T FUCKING FOLLOW UP. This shit tilts me so hard.

I find it extremely hard to believe you actually killed 4 heroes solo as Dva on Attack. If your team was holding their attention and hence, soaking up their damage, which in turn allowed you to kill them, that's not you killing 4 heroes solo. That's you not soaking up the damage for your team as a tank. Either that or your team had already softened them up which made it easier for you to finish them off.

Top Bottom