• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

I think I'm going to make a rule where I don't play competitive Overwatch after 8 PM EST. All my best games/teams that are competent happen either in the afternoon or in the evening before 8, but if I play late at night I always go on losing streaks and have shitty teammates. They're like gremlins and change from good players to awful after a certain time.

carlos

Well, I quit until a new character or stage is added.
Enough is enough with these x-mas jackasses. quitters, no team healers, attack bastions and torbs....screw it.

cyborg009

Banned
I think I'm going to make a rule where I don't play competitive Overwatch after 8 PM EST. All my best games/teams that are competent happen either in the afternoon or in the evening before 8, but if I play late at night I always go on losing streaks and have shitty teammates. They're like gremlins and change from good players to awful after a certain time.

yea I've noticed this too. I got back to the high 2900's during the afternoon lol.

LAM09

I experience the total opposite. Get all idiots on during the day, but more level headed people at night.

Apathy

I had a Sombra yesterday that would always and only use her EMP when I'd fired my Gravitron surge on Eichenwald. It was awesome.

wish i could get that. every engagement was a 5v6 cause who the hell knows where the sombra is and then they use their emp after we all die, they instantly die and then type out "wtf you were supposed to kill them"

xaosslug

everytime i hear some little kid on voice chat I check out their profile and they are always 3400+. Feelsbadman

lmao, right? I have someone super young on my FL that's a master genji main (now), and whenever I used to play w/ him (when he was diamond) he would rage quit when the match wasn't going well. I can't even. -___-

Sayad

Is there a problem with the game's servers on PS4? For the past week, no one was ever able to rejoin a match after disconnecting in any game I played, wither from our team or the opponent team!

Apathy

I really hope (even though the chance of it happening is close to 0%) but wish blizzard would give the community tools to make maps and submit them so the map team can curate them and modify the ones they like to sped up development of maps.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
really woulds like a team tip that says 'half your fucking team isnt going to be on the point'

like i know hanjo and sombra you want to be a snowflake but all 3 of you cant provide fire from outside the point when we're getting massacred trying to take it

antitrop

Quite a box

ZEspFM4.png

I had a Mercy solo me as S76. We gun duelled with 50% or so health each.

I am a forever shamed.
tfw symettra out-dps winston and has a better weapon now

i just want to play the monkey

Winston doesn't need to fight her fair, though. Jump, shield (Symmetra's regulat attack doesn't pierce it IIRC) and he demolishes her turrets.

Just never try to get the generator/teleporter solo. It won't go well.

Village

Sombra is tight, she's sueper fun.
Yo is there some place where I can find people to make groups or a discord or whatever, I wanna get better at this game and play in groups , but I have no idea where to look

Guess I'm never playing comp with you lol

I kid, I'm still on before then when I don't have work I suppose

Blizzard

Banned
I've now gotten 4 epic non-event drops during the winter event. 3 skins, 1 coins. At least one was a decent Pharah skin.

0 epic event drops.

LiK

Not in competitive. No.

I don't even care anymore. Getting pressured into playing a hero I'm not proficient at just means a loss anyway. Usually people who instalock DPS are the biggest crybabies about it and would throw tantrums. It's the third season and I'm done dealing with those douchebags. Glad I got into Diamond from placements so I don't need to keep playing Comp this season.

pizzacat

Banned
They shouls honnestly do a vote to end match during the first 2 minutes of a match in comp

Either that or start responding to reports faster.

Give me some type of confirmation that they person wint get paired with me again, why do I get the repeat people

Or maybe stop making heroes so useless that someone picking them is a detriment, one hero ive never seen picked even as a joke or a throw is sombra lol

Fugu

Eh, no yeah still play who you want.

I take it how I play ff14

You want a specific type of tank, get your friend, untill you get your friend you dealing with dark knight fam.
This is, unequovically, the worst attitude permeating in competitive. This is not a game where you can just pick whoever you want and your team can just work around it.

The whole game is balanced around the notion of teams dynamically coming together to adapt to changing situations with their hero picks. If you refuse to switch characters or to acquiese to the needs of the team when necessary, you literally break the whole process and seriously diminish your team's chances of winning. Possibly the stupidest and most common reason to lose in this game is poor team composition due to players who have decided that they want to play a particular character well past the point at which playing that character is a good idea.

That's not even without mentioning the fact that this attitude is just super selfish. If you aren't total garbage at the game you are doubtless aware that it is generally not possible to win with teams that have no synergy and consist solely of players picking whoever they want. Therefore, when you pick whoever YOU want you diminish the odds of your other teammates being able to do the same.

The logic that a team is better served by a player using someone they know well over someone they don't is poor. If you are playing Competitive, you should be capable of playing at least a few heroes well. Only Lucio and Reinhardt are truly always useful, so unless those are the two you always want to play you're going to need at least three options.

I can't overexaggerate how much this attitude is ruining comp. If all of you selfish clods went to quick play this would be a much better game. I'm in diamond and I'm very tired of losing because of _ "mains".

I had a Mercy solo me as S76. We gun duelled with 50% or so health each.

I am a forever shamed.

Lol.

People GREATLY underestimate Mercys attack potential. I've gunned down quite a few soldiers, Widows, I even consistently take down Rein. Nothing funnier than killing Rein with a meele.

Kain

Lol.

People GREATLY underestimate Mercys attack potential. I've gunned down quite a few soldiers, Widows, I even consistently take down Rein. Nothing funnier than killing Rein with a meele.

Maybe the other players were terribad, but yesterday I got like 8 solo kills with Mercy on El dorado. Half of them was that one Reinhardt turning his back to me constantly, like he thought Mercy doesn't have a gun lol

finalflame

I don't even care anymore. Getting pressured into playing a hero I'm not proficient at just means a loss anyway. Usually people who instalock DPS are the biggest crybabies about it and would throw tantrums. It's the third season and I'm done dealing with those douchebags. Glad I got into Diamond from placements so I don't need to keep playing Comp this season.

I assume everyone on the team is there to win, since it's competitive. I always play a tank or, if needed, healer, and I expect everyone else to be flexible too. If all you can play is Sombra, Bastion, and Symmetra, don't go into comp. If you're unwilling to talk through the comp and adjust if things aren't working, stay in quick play.

I've had SO many games where the entire team was pleasant and we made team adjustments after the first point/push/whatever. Everyone was on voice chat, communicated politely, and switched heroes. More importantly, some heroes just ARE NOT effective at lower levels of play or at all, and you are clearly contributing nothing to the game by playing them. Do yourself and your potential teammates a favor and be open to that feedback.

Just imagine it as if you were playing the game with 5 friends. Would you be stubborn, rude, and a crybaby towards friends who are trying to play the game to win? No? Then why do it to strangers?

Eh, no yeah still play who you want.

I take it how I play ff14

You want a specific type of tank, get your friend, untill you get your friend you dealing with dark knight fam.

Can't really compare this game to an MMORPG, at all. Every class has its places, and the roles are much better defined and balanced so all classes are viable. Unfortunately, in Overwatch, some heroes are situational, and others are just underpowered compared to their peers and you will lose to a team that has a more powerful hero lineup for the given situation. Period. If you want to play whatever the fuck you want with no regard for your team, then stay out of competitive. Nobody in Quick Play gives a shit what you play.

This is, unequovically, the worst attitude permeating in competitive. This is not a game where you can just pick whoever you want and your team can just work around it.

The whole game is balanced around the notion of teams dynamically coming together to adapt to changing situations with their hero picks. If you refuse to switch characters or to acquiese to the needs of the team when necessary, you literally break the whole process and seriously diminish your team's chances of winning. Possibly the stupidest and most common reason to lose in this game is poor team composition due to players who have decided that they want to play a particular character well past the point at which playing that character is a good idea.

That's not even without mentioning the fact that this attitude is just super selfish. If you aren't total garbage at the game you are doubtless aware that it is generally not possible to win with teams that have no synergy and consist solely of players picking whoever they want. Therefore, when you pick whoever YOU want you diminish the odds of your other teammates being able to do the same.

The logic that a team is better served by a player using someone they know well over someone they don't is poor. If you are playing Competitive, you should be capable of playing at least a few heroes well. Only Lucio and Reinhardt are truly always useful, so unless those are the two you always want to play you're going to need at least three options.

I can't overexaggerate how much this attitude is ruining comp. If all of you selfish clods went to quick play this would be a much better game. I'm in diamond and I'm very tired of losing because of _ "mains".

Well said. Just thinking of the type of people like him I've encountered in competitive starts to make my blood fucking boil.

Anything can work if you actually put some effort in. The problem is that no one wants to try any comps that are even remotely unusual because "No, the meta tho."

And no, it's actually a terrible idea to ask someone to switch to a character that they're less familiar with just because it technically fits the team better. Don't ask me to switch from Mei to McCree or Roadhog and then bitch at me when it doesn't work out so well. If someone is doing well with a character, let them play it. Don't just give up at second 1 because of a pick you don't agree with.

Village

Eh, its a video game and a bought it. So i''ll play whatever mode I want, thank you. When you start buying me video games and paying my bills you can dictate where I go.
But even more so than that? How do you know I play on here, how do you know I don't play multiple heroes, how do you know that in the hypothetical situation this wasn't a situation where there was 1 role that needed to be filled and I liked a specific character in that role. You are so up your own rear end about comp ready to assume that people are selfish to just accuse me of being some " main guy " and having the wrong attitude about competitive.

Along with that, lets go back a sec, what if I don't find the suggested hero fun? Should I stop playing the game? Should I not play , because you called me selfish. You are suggesting that that I have some type of inherit character flaw, because i'm not playing a video the way you want me to play. Do you know how crazy that sounds?

Maybe the other players were terribad, but yesterday I got like 8 solo kills with Mercy on El dorado. Half of them was that one Reinhardt turning his back to me constantly, like he thought Mercy doesn't have a gun lol

Honestly, I've been laying down so much fire I'm starting to question how useful her attack boost really is. It has almost always been better to just lay down extra fire instead, and save the boost for when you need to hide. Unless you have a badass Phara or Soldier to piggy back off of.

As a Mercy main I realize there are better healers, so my role is to spot heal. So when everyones healthy, I'll try to put out as much damage as possible.

I put the merc in Mercy.

finalflame

Anything can work if you actually put some effort in. The problem is that no one wants to try any comps that are even remotely unusual because "No, the meta tho."

And no, it's actually a terrible idea to ask someone to switch to a character that they're less familiar with just because it technically fits the team better. Don't ask me to switch from Mei to McCree or Roadhog and then bitch at me when it doesn't work out so well. If someone is doing well with a character, let them play it. Don't just give up at second 1 because of a pick you don't agree with.

They're usually not. And in a lot of situations when you let that slide, they get carried to victory, reinforcing their idea that whatever shitty thing they're playing works. Played with a Torbjorn on ATTACK on Hanamura earlier, and his turret never stayed up for more than 10 seconds, and he was constantly getting picked. We took A and B despite him, not because of him, and I'm sure because that was a win he feels his pick is justified, but he was barely present for any of the team engagements.

I don't think someone should switch from a sensible pick to whatever someone tells them -- I always lay out that I can play Zarya, Roadhog, D.Va, Ana, and Lucio really well, but I am a terrible Rein. Usually with a good team, we can talk through everyone's strengths/weaknesses and figure out what adjustments to make before the game starts or during. It's when there's a polite "Hey, it doesn't seem like Symmetra is working for this push, can we potentially get a DPS? Can anyone switch/swap or can symm play something else?" and you see "X has left the voice channel" and they then become a fucking disturbed toddler because someone is asking them to make an adjustment. If you can ONLY play a single class and that is ALL you play, you do not belong in competitive, plain and simple. What if someone else picks it before you, what are you going to do? Quit? Cry until they switch?

Be flexible, reasonable, and willing to work as a team. This isn't deathmatch, it's a team game, and the team dynamics are just as important as your individual performance. If you be doing really "GOOD" with a hero but it can easily not be the contribution the team needs, and you're not going to win.

There's PLENTY of room for jerking off and playing whatever trash you want in QP. At least come into Competitive with some semblance of a reasonable attitude and the ability to compromise/be a team player.

Eh, its a video game and a bought it. So i''ll play whatever mode I want, thank you. When you start buying me video games and paying my bills you can dictate where I go.
But even more so than that? How do you know I play on here, how do you know I don't play multiple heroes, how do you know that in the hypothetical situation this wasn't a situation where there was 1 role that needed to be filled and I liked a specific character in that role. You are so up your own rear end about comp ready to assume that people are selfish to just accuse me of being some " main guy " and having the wrong attitude about competitive.

Along with that, lets go back a sec, what if I don't find the suggested hero fun? Should I stop playing the game? Should I not play , because you called me selfish. You are suggesting that that I have some type of inherit character flaw, because i'm not playing a video the way you want me to play. Do you know how crazy that sounds?

What a trash entitled attitude. People like you honestly ruin the game for others. You can not be a team player and just do whatever you want in Quick Play, where you are not ruining the game for others. Your "my way or the highway" attitude is one of the most toxic and destructive things in Competitive Overwatch.

In addition to this, if someone is bad, then they'll be placed with other bad players. It shouldn't affect you if you're really so much better. If you are playing with someone who is so obviously terrible, then you probably aren't much better. Otherwise, there's probably a reason they're placed as highly as they are, and it would be best to just trust them.

finalflame

In addition to this, if someone is bad, then they'll be placed with other bad players. It shouldn't affect you if you're really so much better. If you are playing with someone who is so obviously terrible, then you probably aren't much better. Otherwise, there's probably a reason they're placed as highly as they are, and it would be best to just trust them.

Man, you guys really ARE the players I encounter in competitive who are stubborn and unwilling to work as a team. Rank is, to a degree, indicative of skill, but the only way to climb in skill in Overwatch is to play as a team. You'd have to be INSANELY better than the rest of your team (underranked by 1-2 tiers) to be able to carry a game by yourself. Yes, ranks are mostly a level playing field, but the difference between climbing or not, improving or not, is focusing on your own game and being willing to be a team player. Those who are selfish and unwilling to play as part of a team just bring down the rest of the players who are willing to make adjustments and work towards a shared victory.

hypernima

Banned
I had a Sombra yesterday that would always and only use her EMP when I'd fired my Gravitron surge on Eichenwald. It was awesome.

EMP cancels Gravitron? or is this just a bad sombra?

Anyways I think I'm done with Comp for a while I just can't get back up to 2007.

Top Bottom