• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

antitrop

Sometimes the winning team display is a blurry mess. I'm guessing it does use dynamic.
Yup, I don't know why the victory pose screen is where the game feels like it needs to drop rez the most, but it does.

It's just one of the weird quirks of the console version, like the menus being 30fps.

Skii

Im honestly contemplating buying a pc for overwatch
������

PC is simultaneously better and worse. It's better because you have more control over your character but it's worse because of how toxic competitive can be.

on average pc gamers are much worse

Really? I feel like it's a lot harder on PC than on console. Maybe it's just me being bad but even your average Widowmaker on PC is a massive threat.

no youre not. the matchmaking system is completely broken

It's very rare to get a game that doesn't have a difference of about 50-100 in skill level at most. Most are within 10, until you get to the super high ranking where there just aren't enough players.

On the rare chance you get put in a game as massive underdogs you lose hardly any SR for losing.

no youre not. the matchmaking system is completely broken

...?
I've watched many different streams of high end players and except for very arcane circumstances (e.g. high MMR during placement matches), I have yet to see someone in Platinum being matched up with someone in the top 500, let alone lower.

In fact, the matchups are generally fairly even in terms of SR score, with not too much of a margin.

How is the matchmaking "completely broken", and how are you not grouped with people of your approximate skill rating?

ohkay

Really? I feel like it's a lot harder on PC than on console. Maybe it's just me being bad but even your average Widowmaker on PC is a massive threat.
This is my experience too. I'm not doing as well on PC as I did on PS4, but that could just be because I haven't played a PC shooter in over a decade

...?
I've watched many different streams of high end players and except for very arcane circumstances (e.g. high MMR during placement matches), I have yet to see someone in Platinum being matched up with someone in the top 500, let alone lower.

In fact, the matchups are generally fairly even in terms of SR score, with not too much of a margin.

How is the matchmaking "completely broken", and how are you not grouped with people of your approximate skill rating?

spreads up to 1000 between highest and lowest player are very common and whatever blizzard is using to gauge mmr is just retarded. on the pc most games have at least 1 widow/hanzo/torbjurn/junkrat main who of course always suck. get stuck with them and you lose

komaruR

Accuracy is a component used to measure dps.

If you fire 10 shots for 100 damage in 10 seconds, that's 100dps.

If you fire 10 shots for 100 damage in 10 seconds, but only land half of them, that's 50dps.

If you consider a Lucio, that automatically negates like 20dps just by existing, you need to find a way to deal enough damage fast enough to counter that, which means you need to be accurate enough.
But what if:
If you fire 10 shots for 100 damage in 100 seconds, that's 10dps but its 100% accuracy.
You have to consider time too. Like some people here are more conservative on their shots so they get high accuracy but then don't take shots often which lower the overall dps.

...?

I've seens a few matches like that on http://www.twitch.tv/colossusofcloud streams
He's a 3700s+ SR.
When he duo with another master:
His team: Master, Master, Plat,Plat,Plat,Diamond
Enemy: Master, Master, Master, Diamond,Diamond,Diamond
both team avg around 3500s forgot exactly.

He even had a match like:
His team solo que: Master, Plat, Plat,Plat,Plat,Diamond
Enemy: Diamond,Diamond , Diamond, Diamond,Diamond,Diamond

then another like
His team solo que: Master, Plat, Diamond,Diamond,Diamond, Diamond
Enemy: Diamond,Master, Master, Diamond,Master,Master

I rember in one of those bad mm games a diamond player deranked (<3000) from the lost too.
It's hard for him to stay GM when one game will deduct 50+SR but when he win only gets like 15-20.
He solo q alot

so basically he gets q in as the higher end of the 1000 SR limit (3700s SR) and put in a team with the lower end of the 1000 sr limit (2700s) to avg out (3250s), while everyone on the other team is within the 3250s range.

AbaFadi

Banned
I've seens a few matches like that on http://www.twitch.tv/colossusofcloud streams
He's a 3700s+ SR.
When he duo with another master:
His team: Master, Master, Plat,Plat,Plat,Diamond
Enemy: Master, Master, Master, Diamond,Diamond,Diamond
both team avg around 3500s forgot exactly.

He even had a match like:
His team solo que: Master, Plat, Plat,Plat,Plat,Diamond
Enemy: Diamond,Diamond , Diamond, Diamond,Diamond,Diamond

then another like
His team solo que: Master, Plat, Diamond,Diamond,Diamond, Diamond
Enemy: Diamond,Master, Master, Diamond,Master,Master

I rember in one of those bad mm games a diamond player deranked (<3000) from the lost too.
It's hard for him to stay GM when one game will deduct 50+SR but when he win only gets like 15-20.
He solo q alot

That depends on the time of the day and the size of the group. Playing earlier in the day you'll get more games like that for sure. If your group size is 4 with all top 500, you're more likely to get paired up with diamonds and platinums. I'm top 500 and it's pretty rare I get a game with less than 2 diamonds. I mainly duo and three-man.

I can relate to the 50+SR games though. I dropped out of grandmaster because I lost two games and ended up losing 120SR (60 from each game) since two diamonds decided to troll.

But what if:
If you fire 10 shots for 100 damage in 100 seconds, that's 10dps but its 100% accuracy.
You have to consider time too. Like some people here are more conservative on their shots so they get high accuracy but then don't take shots often which lower the overall dps.

Sure, but time doesn't negate accuracy. It just needs to be factored as well.

ISOM

If that Oversumo app is accurate then I like it a lot better than Masteroverwatch and Overbuff. It's like raw statistics is cool but getting told what level you're in with the heroes you play is much more satisfying.

komaruR

If that Oversumo app is accurate then I like it a lot better than Masteroverwatch and Overbuff. It's like raw statistics is cool but getting told what level you're in with the heroes you play is much more satisfying.

well the good thing about oversumo is they have an internal ranking system to rank which value = what rank.
in overbuff, you just get the value and the percentile.
its effectively the same but just that you like to have a rank associated with the percentile lol.

AbaFadi

Banned
Sure, but time doesn't negate accuracy. It just needs to be factored as well.

I was watching your stream for a few games. When you play Zarya, try to stick near your team more so you can block damage while providing steady DPS. I noticed you branched off of them sometimes.

ISOM

well the good thing about oversumo is they have an internal ranking system to rank which value = what rank.
in overbuff, you just get the value and the percentile.
its effectively the same but just that you like to have a rank associated with the percentile lol.

Well it is all about the rank in Overwatch as well.

Fancolors

Oversumo is very inaccurate at measuring skill. I'm nowhere near as good as it think I am. I still like it tho, it counts Draws separately from Losses.

Ramirez

I'm gonna hold out hope for S3, but this game has the most uneven MM experience I've ever played. The amount of just complete steam rolls is just so baffling to me.

Fancolors

I'm gonna hold out hope for S3, but this game has the most uneven MM experience I've ever played. The amount of just complete steam rolls is just so baffling to me.
I don't think I've ever seen a FPS that gives even MM with frequency. No number is ever going to tell how a match will go accurately. Maybe less steamrolls would happen if you could check a box saying what roles you are comfortable with.

Season's almost done, I don't think I'll hit Diamond. Sort of want to practice other heroes in comp but at the same time don't want to be a dick to other players trying their best. Quick play is usually terrible for me as far as practicing new heroes. The dilemma

Jellie

Season's almost done, I don't think I'll hit Diamond. Sort of want to practice other heroes in comp but at the same time don't want to be a dick to other players trying their best. Quick play is usually terrible for me as far as practicing new heroes. The dilemma

Wait for the next update. QP should be better to practice then.

Ramirez

I don't think I've ever seen a FPS that gives even MM with frequency. No number is ever going to tell how a match will go accurately. Maybe less steamrolls would happen if you could check a box saying what roles you are comfortable with.

I mean I'm not expecting extremely close games every match, but I play at least 4-5 matches daily where it's just clear the people are not even in the same universe skill wise.

I like that idea though, and I've thought about it before. It would be really cool if you could get ranked for each type of class, then maybe que up what you were willing to play. Probably won't happen, but it's a neat idea in theory.

Owzers

Oversumo exists to give people reasons to blame their teammates for losses. "My master level Reinhardt play can't carry you hanzos"

Steamrolls are more decided by team composition than anything. If you're getting rolled chances are your team needs to switch up at least 2 of your characters.

ISOM

Steamrolls are more decided by team composition than anything. If you're getting rolled chances are your team needs to switch up at least 2 of your characters.

Yeah usually with steamrolls especially if I'm healing, I tell the team that roles need to be switched up. So I'll get off healing and go dps or tank. It usually works too. Sometimes I'm a shit dps that day and will get off that too. It works also lol.

eek5

I love it when I play Lucio and Pharah uses her blast to knock me down but I climb back up.

I feel like pro :D

OTOH when you are mercy and someone knocks you off and you plead with your team to peek over the edge so you can GA back up only to slowly descend to your death...

I want to die

caesar

Banned
PC is simultaneously better and worse. It's better because you have more control over your character but it's worse because of how toxic competitive can be.

Console players have aim assist, so I feel low skilled pc players are way less threat.

Pretty sure a masters pc player is better relatively than a masters console player though.

eek5

Oversumo is very inaccurate at measuring skill. I'm nowhere near as good as it think I am. I still like it tho, it counts Draws separately from Losses.

Seems like it weighs e/d too high. It ranks a lot of my characters as masters. I'm not very good I just bail to regroup when my team dies lol.

Skii

Console players have aim assist, so I feel low skilled pc players are way less threat.

Pretty sure a masters pc player is better relatively than a masters console player though.

That must only apply to bronze/silver players. The gold/platinum players I've faced against are significantly better than on console. The issue with them is that they make the wrong decisions far too often and that's why they are in gold/platinum rather than it being down to mechanical skill.

Alucrid

Banned
i dunno why i can shoot really accurately on ana (last game was 71 and 68 accuracy) but am complete shit with mcree

as for aim assist, i turned that all off on console. found it always getting in the way at the wrong times

Has the smaller UI on certain menus on PS4 been noted as a bug? Or is it intentionally that way? Changed a couple updates ago.

The player plates are hard to.read and it no longer fills the screen.

Skii

i dunno why i can shoot really accurately on ana (last game was 71 and 68 accuracy) but am complete shit with mcree

as for aim assist, i turned that all off on console. found it always getting in the way at the wrong times

Because you're generally doing body shots on your own team that's really close to you vs trying to get headshots against enemies actively avoiding you?

I'm assuming Ana's accuracy includes healing shots lol.

komaruR

you want aim assist for mccree

Because you're generally doing body shots on your own team that's really close to you vs trying to get headshots against enemies actively avoiding you?

I'm assuming Ana's accuracy includes healing shots lol.

yea, the hitbox when using ana weap is broken. remember some1 posted a video where if you're right next to a teammate your crosshair dont have to aim at them it and it will still hit them lol.

you want aim assist for mccree

yea, the hitbox when using ana weap is broken. remember some1 posted a video where if you're right next to a teammate your crosshair dont have to aim at them it and it will still hit them lol.

Teammate heal hitbox is way bigger than enemy dmg hitbox for Ana's weapon...which makes it really annoying sometimes. Same goes for the grenade

Fuck, why didn't I do this sooner? After playing a ton on the PC beta, going to the console was so irritating.

People of GAF.

I've re-entered the Platinum zone for the 3rd time. (2255 -> 2520 -> 2260 -> 2580 -> 2360 -> 2515) -> Entirely solo queue

Is it wise to leave it here and reap the benefits for the next season in case they use my track record, before I go into a lose spree again after god knows how many times? Does anyone have any idea how they will use the season records, because I remember they would like to use this info for the next placement? (Where I leave or how I did during the seasons as a whole?)

As others have said, I think they use your highest rank to help inform subsequent placements.

That having been said, congrats on getting there! I have once again landed at 2112 for probably the 8th time this season (high is 2234) and am struggling to push to Plat. I'm not sure why I keep getting handed this Rush LP SR, but I get bounced back to it almost daily.

ohkay

Being on a losing streak is so frustrating. It doesn't help that the 2 games I played tonight were both on Numbani, and my teams just didn't want to work together.

Top Bottom