• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Completely unrelated, the top ost on r/competitiveoverwatch is an idea that D.Va should have a specific voice line that plays when she DMs an ult. Idk how hard that is to implement, but I think that's a pretty clever idea.

Probably not hard at all to implement. The game should know when it happens, as it's entirely unambiguous. The only thing is that certain voice lines tend to no trigger when they should, or they could get interrupted by another one or something. For example, I've literally never heard D.Va's NBA Jam voice line although I'm sure I've been on fire with her multiple times. Don't know exactly what the deal is with that. Maybe it's just intentionally rare.

KiraFA37

Completely unrelated, the top ost on r/competitiveoverwatch is an idea that D.Va should have a specific voice line that plays when she DMs an ult. Idk how hard that is to implement, but I think that's a pretty clever idea.

Edit: Apparently Papa Kaplan posted on this almost two months ago saying they are planning on adding this for both D.Va and Genji :eek:

While they are add it can they also record some voice lines to progress the lore? Balance changes, new maps and heroes be damned, I just want more lore.

Jellie

In comp game, our winston decides to hunt down one player and only one player (Hanzo). That player changes from hanzo to reaper and basically kills him everytime. Then on defence, went Widowmaker, did nothing and then changed to sombra and did nothing. We somehow won and they left before the victory screen came up. I'm so confused. Throwing?

In comp game, our winston decides to hunt down one player and only one player. That player changes from hanzo to reaper and basically kills him everytime. Then on defence, went Widowmaker, did nothing and then changed to sombra and did nothing. We somehow won and they left before the victory screen came up. I'm so confused. Throwing?

I've gone out of my way to target one player only in QP when they make me super salty. The only times I get people to switch to counter me is when I'm just doing really well against the team in general though.

But, yes, probably throwing.

Jellie

I've gone out of my way to target one player only in QP when they make me super salty. The only times I get people to switch to counter me is when I'm just doing really well against the team in general though.

The whole chat was talking about how he was in love with him etc. He went after him from the get go. Maybe had a game with him before?

Hate people in comp so much sometimes.

On Anubis our symmetra gets picked first everyfight but got her ult fast due to turrets. Team gets whiped apart from her and puts her shield gen right infront of the reinhardt and zarya. Lose A and she changes to mercy and dies out in the open again. Then on attack their symmetra gets shield gen every 30 seconds because our symmetra/mercy went Winston and fed their team consantly by going in by themselves.

Blues1990

In comp game, our winston decides to hunt down one player and only one player (Hanzo). That player changes from hanzo to reaper and basically kills him everytime. Then on defence, went Widowmaker, did nothing and then changed to sombra and did nothing. We somehow won and they left before the victory screen came up. I'm so confused. Throwing?

He was probably hunting down that player just to spite him, and then he probably went to go and throw the game when he switched to Widowmaker/Sombra.

BTW, are you down for some Quickplay later today?

LiK

If it's QP, that's fine with me. I do that as well if I'm constantly getting killed by one player. Very satisfying to take them out.

Jellie

He was probably hunting down that player just to spite him, and then he probably went to go and throw the game when he switched to Widowmaker/Sombra.

BTW, are you down for some Quickplay later today?

Well he went after him straight away. It was gibraltar so you can see the enemy teams picks. Said Hanzo was on the bridge and he kept attacking him constantly. Had to heal him to full 2/3 times before the first corner because he kept getting destroyed by a Hanzo.

LiK

The only thing is that it rarely actually works. Those Top 500 Widows can hold their own against my Winston.

I know the feels. I fought against a really good Widow once on Hanamura and she was destroying our team. I was D.Va and had to constantly chase her down but that guy was good with the grapple and constantly running near teammates who protected them. No one else in my team was trying to kill her even tho she was the biggest problem.

Blues1990

Well he went after him straight away. It was gibraltar so you can see the enemy teams picks. Said Hanzo was on the bridge and he kept attacking him constantly. Had to heal him to full 2/3 times before the first corner because he kept getting destroyed by a Hanzo.

Man, that's rough. I never had much of an issue with dealing with Hanzo, so that must have been maddening for him/her.

Guess I'm never playing comp with you lol

I kid, I'm still on before then when I don't have work I suppose

Ah, I should have clarified - I meant solo queuing competitive. I'm always down for comp with a GAF group whenever - that's like apples and oranges. It's the randoms that are nuts.

I think generally around mid diamond and up is where I expect people to at least think on stuff to that level to improve and climb. I'm being a bit generous here, because I know there are people that get to that level via group queue, mechanics, and carry stuff without having to engage at that level of thought on it. I do think it's a core skill that is going to be more present at those levels here soon though, at least I hope so.

Right now, I think even lower diamond players all know 3 tanks is a busted comp at the least though. I see it in every single game I'm in these days, even in QP.

I definitely think diamond level and higher is a completely different mindset (and skill level) than high Gold/low Platinum, which is where I'm at. Yesterday I played a game on Anubis when the attacking team was going trip tank (full meta, too - Ana, Lucio, 76 as the other three - although the Ana switched to Mercy when they stalled on point B) and our composition was me as the only tank as Rein, and then Junkrat, Bastion, Mei, 76, and Zen as our team. I thought for sure we were dead but we managed to hold them, then turn around and capture both points on attack ourselves for the victory.

I know on a high level playing field my team's comp was absolutely terrible, but we still managed to work together and defend successfully. In Gold/Platinum area, it's less about the "correct team comp" and more about playing who you're good with and knowing basic mechanics.

Another example on the opposite side was a KOTH match on Nepal where our Rein and D.Va would never push, ever. They'd just stand in the choke point and block damage but never move forward. Consequently the entire team would group up behind them and then the enemy team would just build up ult while we farted around. It took me as Lucio speed boosting myself through the choke point on a hail mary to get them to push to the point. On top of that, none of our team ever took a flanking route - they all just hung around at the main choke point on every map.

Most of the time it's simply understanding the mechanics like that that make the difference at lower levels over the team comp meta. But then you get people who don't have basic knowledge of mechanics ordering people to "play the meta" and ask people to pick Rein, then they pick Hanzo and run off by themselves and die and never use Rein's shield, then blame that person for being a bad Rein.

Everybody wants to be pro, but not everybody is skilled enough.

caesar

Banned
Like, here's the two types of scenarios I run into. Let's say I'm on Anubis defense and the team is locked Rein/Ana/Lucio/Hog/ and I'm on Mei. If somebody picks Junkrat at that point it makes no sense, even though the map is one of his better ones. Generally I'll ask that person if there's something that fits more into the comp they'd rather play. If they just stick to it I'll be less than thrilled, but it's on me at that point to drop the Mei idea and go pick up Soldier to try and remedy this best I can. I already think that person is being a liability and not so great, but whatever I can deal. If we run into trip tank, Junk's worst match up by far, get rolled, and they don't switch then? Yeah, no I'm like a step away from reporting you for griefing.

The other is let's say we're on koth and somebody instalocks Symmetra and won't switch. That's when I will just straight up ask people to switch. If people have good attitudes about being willing to switch I'll at least let them attempt something silly, but like you get a couple shots before I straight up tell them to switch.

Idk, that seems reasonable to me. As much as I talk about meta and optimized play, I'm also about enjoying the game I play and not being too much of an asshat online.

Yeah, Junkrat is countered just by the existence of a DVA and Zarya on the enemy team. Junkrat does a ton of damage but its completely irrelevant vs triple tank and an Ana, all it does it feed ultimate. What's more in a Masters game people find it very easy to simply walk through his spam because their movement is actually decent. Amazing Junks like Tviq or Harbleu wouldn't bother either.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Bah, playing as Ana and being the only hitscan character on your team sucks when there's a Pharah on the other team. It's hard to land three shots on a Pharah that's bobbing around well, and she can kill you pretty quickly once she catches on too.

I feel like I'm getting better in that I'm starting to land shots I couldn't land before, but I'm still losing more than I'm winning in competitive, so I deserve the rating I have at the moment. Slow steps I guess.

caesar

Banned
The whole chat was talking about how he was in love with him etc. He went after him from the get go. Maybe had a game with him before?

Hate people in comp so much sometimes.

On Anubis our symmetra gets picked first everyfight but got her ult fast due to turrets. Team gets whiped apart from her and puts her shield gen right infront of the reinhardt and zarya. Lose A and she changes to mercy and dies out in the open again. Then on attack their symmetra gets shield gen every 30 seconds because our symmetra/mercy went Winston and fed their team consantly by going in by themselves.

Yeh, it's a shame we had 2 draws but that's 2cp for you. You really can't have a team feeding like that, what a mess. So easy to take advantage of, like we did in that Volskaya game.

Blues1990

Oh and I might be in later for QP. Gonna listen to 3/4 lectures first.

No problem. What estimated time will you be on?

Diamond is really the new platinum now. Mercy on offense, Mercy on King of the Hills, Mercy at all.

And yet, no one will kill her when they have that stupid angel in their line of sight. When playing as Reinhardt, Earthshattering and killing a Mercy is always my main objective (if the enemy team has one, that is).

Jellie

Yeh, it's a shame we had 2 draws but that's 2cp for you. You really can't have a team feeding like that, what a mess. So easy to take advantage of, like we did in that Volskaya game.
Yeah symettra on 2CP is stupid. No point even going after her shield generator since it'll be up again so fast. Have to basically wipe the team then get rid of it before you cap.
That hanamura game was stupid

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
And yet, no one will kill her when they have that stupid angel in their line of sight. When playing as Reinhardt, Earthshattering and killing a Mercy is always my main objective (if the enemy team has one, that is).
I've lost multiple games where the other team was being solo healed by a Mercy. In those cases, the Mercy is either good at getting away or her team is protecting her well.

It feels wrong because I've lost so many games as a solo healing Mercy.

LiK

I've lost multiple games where the other team was being solo healed by a Mercy. In those cases, the Mercy is either good at getting away or her team is protecting her well.

Usually the latter from my experience. If you can't kill the Mercy, prepare for hard mode. Pretty infuriating when you're trying to kill the Mercy and the other team constantly takes you out. They did their job.

caesar

Banned
Yeah symettra on 2CP is stupid. No point even going after her shield generator since it'll be up again so fast. Have to basically wipe the team then get rid of it before you cap.
That hanamura game was stupid

Yeh its a shame I wasn't DVA, you can actually fly in the back and focus it down before the turrets kill you. Its a suicide mission but it works. Winston is never gonna work though, not sure what he was thinking.

Skii

Played a game in competitive where a diamond Reaper would teleport in clear view behind my team every time. We dealt with him fine but I was getting triggered by how bad he was. How can this guy be diamond and I can't get out of gold :(

Yeh its a shame I wasn't DVA, you can actually fly in the back and focus it down before the turrets kill you. Its a suicide mission but it works. Winston is never gonna work though, not sure what he was thinking.

I think people tend to think that Winston is Symmetra's "counter" so he should be able to dive in and take out the generator. But he's actually only a counter to her turrets - with her boost in range and the health boost to the teleporter/generator, Winston can't do much else to Symmetra.

ISOM

Played a game in competitive where a diamond Reaper would teleport in clear view behind my team every time. We dealt with him fine but I was getting triggered by how bad he was. How can this guy be diamond and I can't get out of gold :(

He was probably carried there by friends.

LiK

People have good games and bad games. Maybe Reaper wasn't even his main.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I think people tend to think that Winston is Symmetra's "counter" so he should be able to dive in and take out the generator. But he's actually only a counter to her turrets - with her boost in range and the health boost to the teleporter/generator, Winston can't do much else to Symmetra.

Yeah, I think it'll take time for that to sink in. I thought the same about Winston before and had the miserable experience of jumping into a room with the shield gen without the team noticing, and them still having time to turn around and come kill me while I was still damaging the shields...thing has WAAAAY too much HP for Winston. Even shittier is when you do that and die, the shields just regen so you literally just did nothing.

Blues1990

Usually the latter from my experience. If you can't kill the Mercy, prepare for hard mode. Pretty infuriating when you're trying to kill the Mercy and the other team constantly takes you out. They did their job.

For most of the solo games that I have, I make it a priority to kill an enemy Mercy. I remember a time when I had continuously charged into one (to keep her away from her dead teammates to resurrect them) a total of 10 times, and that player had quickly switched to Zenyatta.

As Soldier 76, same deal. I don't want to die in a man slaughter if an enemy Mercy is around, so I make it a priority to kill any support heroes before tackling the opposition.

Fugu

I play with a few Master-level players that don't think that much about the meta/strategies and are mostly carried by their mechanical skill. Going beyond that when it's not something I'm typically good at just seems needlessly exhausting to me. Like, I'm never trying that hard unless I'm getting paid.

I'm also pretty content with staying around mid-Diamond.
I'm in mid-Diamond and trying not to be in mid-Diamond (although it's still a lot better than where I started...) and one of the most consistent obstacles that I encounter is nonsensical hero choices, which has nothing to do with me and has a very big impact on the game.

You might find it exhausting but I honestly don't think it's that tough. There's considerable nuance to it, sure, but most of the work is already being done by the pros here so you only have to think a little bit. Using that junkrat versus trip tank example, imagine yourself on the three tank team: what does junkrat have to do that can actually hurt you? To actually kill a tank, he'd have to hit the same one several times in a row without that tank being healed, which would count on some uncomfortably dumb teammates. Junk's burst damage puts him uncomfortably close to his opponents and there are plenty of characters that are far more comfortable in that position than he is. Furthermore, his capacity to kill in-position supports is almost 0, meaning that the trip tank team is mostly unaffected by his presence.

Nobody is saying you have to be a genius about this but you should be picking characters that make sense and putting in some effort to figure out what that means in context.

I consider this analogous to a baseball team where two players insist on playing left field at the same time. A pro team with two players on left field will still probably beat most amateur teams but stands little chance against a team at their skill level since their strategy is incomprehensible and easily countered. In competitive, you should be striving to make choices that make sense and if that means acknowledging some criticism, so be it.

I played years of Quake 3 CTF at a high level before I moved to Overwatch. I can aim very well and am used to the dynamics of team FPSes (Overwatch is different but not that different). You would be surprised at how little difference aim makes when one team has a sensible comp and the other doesn't.

caesar

Banned

I slept that guy so many times.

Yeh I mean winston is for taking out isolated squishes. Not going behind the arches on 2nd point Anubis where there are literally 6 enemies and 6 turrets to try and destroy their shield gen.

This all kinda gets thrown out the window when Ana, and by extension, triple-tank is pretty rare on console unless you're at an incredibly high level, so none of this really applies to me.

Besides, I play a lot more than just Overwatch and don't really follow the meta anymore.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
But there's no game sense there. You can't even chalk it down to a bad day. He didn't know how to play Reaper.

Yeah, we had Ana, McCree, Dva and he thought it was fine to teleport behind us every time lol.

Like is he actually diamond or is it just his icon?

There's a real distinction here. There are a lot of people who hit diamond but fell far this season from my experience.

LiK

But there's no game sense there. You can't even chalk it down to a bad day. He didn't know how to play Reaper.

Yeah, we had Ana, McCree, Dva and he thought it was fine to teleport behind us every time lol.

So you agree with me. :p

Fugu

This all kinda gets thrown out the window when Ana, and by extension, triple-tank is pretty rare on console unless you're at an incredibly high level, so none of this really applies to me.

Besides, I play a lot more than just Overwatch and don't really follow the meta anymore.
I feel that in the future I should clarify that I'm only talking about the game as it is played on PC. The console experience is totally different because the expectations for aim and movement are totally different.

Ana + 3 tanks appears in the majority of games that I play now. Not knowing about the things that come with that would be like not knowing about 2-2-2.

xviper

my account is US and my Copy of Overwatch is EU

i was wondering if i bought a US copy Overwatch, would my rank and all my stuff still be in my account ?? i'm on ps4

Skii

Maybe someone else was playing on his account?

I guess it's possible but lord knows why you'd let someone play comp on your account who's worse than you.

Like is he actually diamond or is it just his icon?

There's a real distinction here. There are a lot of people who hit diamond but fell far this season from my experience.

Well I think the game's SR was around 2800-2900 so it can't have been that far off diamond if he had fallen. But I don't even see gold Reapers do that lol.

So you agree with me. :p

No better time to try out a new hero than in competitive :D

AbaFadi

Banned
Like, here's the two types of scenarios I run into. Let's say I'm on Anubis defense and the team is locked Rein/Ana/Lucio/Hog/ and I'm on Mei. If somebody picks Junkrat at that point it makes no sense, even though the map is one of his better ones. Generally I'll ask that person if there's something that fits more into the comp they'd rather play. If they just stick to it I'll be less than thrilled, but it's on me at that point to drop the Mei idea and go pick up Soldier to try and remedy this best I can. I already think that person is being a liability and not so great, but whatever I can deal. If we run into trip tank, Junk's worst match up by far, get rolled, and they don't switch then? Yeah, no I'm like a step away from reporting you for griefing.

The other is let's say we're on koth and somebody instalocks Symmetra and won't switch. That's when I will just straight up ask people to switch. If people have good attitudes about being willing to switch I'll at least let them attempt something silly, but like you get a couple shots before I straight up tell them to switch.

Idk, that seems reasonable to me. As much as I talk about meta and optimized play, I'm also about enjoying the game I play and not being too much of an asshat online.

Yeah a lot of players in masters on pc don't seem to realize what does and doesn't work against triple tanks and it's annoying that's for sure. Running a junkrat against a D.Va and Zarya combo is asking to lose the game. Only think the junkrat will do is just feed ult charge for ana and charge up the zarya. I have nothing against junkrat, but he's a very situational hero who doesn't really work well for the current meta in place.

I try to let people do what they want if I see a pick I don't necessarily agree with, but there definitely is a point in the game where I will ask someone nicely if they can switch if it's clearly not working. I try not to rage at others because that just makes everything worse and won't help you win.

Yeah a lot of players in masters on pc don't seem to realize what does and doesn't work against triple tanks and it's annoying that's for sure. Running a junkrat against a D.Va and Zarya combo is asking to lose the game. Only think the junkrat will do is just feed ult charge for ana and charge up the zarya. I have nothing against junkrat, but he's a very situational hero who doesn't really work well for the current meta in place.

I try to let people do what they want if I see a pick I don't necessarily agree with, but there definitely is a point in the game where I will ask someone nicely if they can switch if it's clearly not working. I try not to rage at others because that just makes everything worse and won't help you win.

Sounds like the real problem here is that Junkrat either needs to be buffed or removed from the game.

I vote for the latter.

rulerk1

If it's QP, that's fine with me. I do that as well if I'm constantly getting killed by one player. Very satisfying to take them out.
I hate when that happens me because it's not personal for me. This genji tried to kill me with every time becuase my junkrat was tilting him. He switched to junk next round to spite me cause we were attack. Next time ppl do that I'm switching to their character to spite. Junk is so fun tbh

Top Bottom