• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Angel_DvA

It feels so weird because you would instantly think that Sym would just get oneshot/destroyed but people have a really hard time aiming at her to kill her for some reason. Maybe they just panic when the beam is on them?

Only character that's easy to use to deal with her is Hog cause of Hook. Or another Sym lol

E: i guess Mcree too. Basically any stun/disable character.

Well you only have 3 seconds to kill her before her beam put you to shame, that's probably why.

Rizzi

"Why do we have two healers, and two snipers? That doesn't seem useful for defending a point."
"its just qp man who cares"

Blues1990

"Why do we have two healers, and two snipers? That doesn't seem useful for defending a point."

Yeah, that is starting to bug me to no end. At that point, I just switch off to a self-sustaining hero (like Roadhog, Soldier, or Mei) if I can't keep my team in-check for healing.

Grief.exe

I'm really getting the hang of Ana now. Wouldn't mind to get some advice from someone who has played her longer.

90th+ percentile in Eliminations (99th), Deaths (99th), Healing, Objective Kills (99th), and Sleeps.
Still need to work on my Objective Time and Boost Assists. As for the former, I generally like to play her further back from the Objective so as to not risk dying to random damage. Scoped accuracy too, but I've been playing around with that sensitivity so I don't have the muscle memory down yet.

L0asvUh.png

Clearly that win rate too, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, that is starting to bug me to no end. At that point, I just switch off to a self-sustaining hero (like Roadhog, Soldier, or Mei) if I can't keep my team in-check for healing.

I just came back to the game a week or so ago after not playing since early August. I picked up Ana and played a few quick play games with her, but I quickly gave that up and just went directly to competitive ranking.
My SR will shake out, it wasn't worth the frustration of quick play to try to learn her.

Like I don't understand why people would pay so much for a game to not like, play it seriously.

I know there are people who don't care, but I enjoy competition and learning metas so it baffles me.

Also Mercy works well when you have a Pharah and / or a team willing to spread out so you can fly to someone else if you start to get focused.

It annoys me to no end when I'm about to pick off a Mercy and she flies away while I'm reloading...

maomaoIYP

i have a digital copy, when i enter the playstation store from inside the game it says there is nothing on the store because my account doesn't match the game's region

if i bought boxes from the store outside the game, do you think it will come to my account ?

Edit: nevermind, just tried it, doesn't work, i guess i'll have to buy a US copy of the game now, but i'm still not sure if my rank and all my stuff will still be there in the same account i used to play the EU copy with

That's odd, I have a hard copy of the asia version but I can buy loot boxes from the US marketplace fine.

maomaoIYP

Fair enough, I just don't see how jumping 12 inches off the ground as Zen is much better at all - especially it you're mapping jump to R2 and sacrificing your secondary fire for it.

I'm on console too.
This is what my buttons for Zen are:
X = harmony orb
L1 = jump
L2 = discord orb
R1 = alt fire
R2 = primary

You can't use alt and primary fire at the same instant so it makes sense to have them on the same shoulder. This is why discord is on L2.
Jumping while shooting primary fire for Zen is can be useful because most of the time during a messy firefight against other small sized targets you are aiming at center mass. Jumping can land headshots without you needing to adjust your RS aim too much, it's already hard enough leading your shots.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It feels so weird because you would instantly think that Sym would just get oneshot/destroyed but people have a really hard time aiming at her to kill her for some reason. Maybe they just panic when the beam is on them?

Only character that's easy to use to deal with her is Hog cause of Hook. Or another Sym lol

E: i guess Mcree too. Basically any stun/disable character.

Her hitbox is tiny and she requires no amount of aim so she cna jump and crouch spam and be extremely unpredictable. And she kills you quicker than the average player will kill her

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Also Mercy works well when you have a Pharah and / or a team willing to spread out so you can fly to someone else if you start to get focused.

It annoys me to no end when I'm about to pick off a Mercy and she flies away while I'm reloading...
Yeah, that's the thing with good Mercys if they're not solo healing. They can fly anywhere and are generally hard to catch if the player is good with positioning. Like, one second I'm fighting a Pharah one on one, she flies out of reach and then returns later with a Mercy in tow. Or they both disappear for a while and then suddenly JUSTICE RAINS FROM ABOVE WITH DAMAGE BOOST.

Maybe Mercy needs an MGS3 knife stance thing where she can swap between shooting and healing really quickly.

I agree that her ult needs a retool though. Most resses are just 1-2 people at a time because it's very rare to have half the team die at once and still be a salvageable situation. Anythign more than that, and you're usually ressing people while they're surrounded by teh enemy team.

Jellie

I'm really getting the hang of Ana now. Wouldn't mind to get some advice from someone who has played her longer.

90th+ percentile in Eliminations (99th), Deaths (99th), Healing, Objective Kills (99th), and Sleeps.
Still need to work on my Objective Time and Boost Assists. As for the former, I generally like to play her further back from the Objective so as to not risk dying to random damage. Scoped accuracy too, but I've been playing around with that sensitivity so I don't have the muscle memory down yet.

L0asvUh.png

I just came back to the game a week or so ago after not playing since early August. I picked up Ana and played a few quick play games with her, but I quickly gave that up and just went directly to competitive ranking.
My SR will shake out, it wasn't worth the frustration of quick play to try to learn her.

I prefer playing her closer to the action in order to use her abilities to the maximum capability. Don't think either way is wrong tho since both can work. Here's some footage if interested in how I play?

If you put your scope sensitivity to around 40 it should match your sensitivity non-scoped.
What advice are you looking for?

Akuun

I prefer playing her closer to the action in order to use her abilities to the maximum capability. Don't think either way is wrong tho since both can work. Here's some footage if interested in how I play?

If you put your scope sensitivity to around 40 it should match your sensitivity non-scoped.
Scoped sensitivity can be changed independently of non-scoped sensitivity? I really need to look into that. The default scoped sensitivity feels super weird right now.

Jellie

Scoped sensitivity can be changed independently of non-scoped sensitivity? I really need to look into that. The default scoped sensitivity feels super weird right now.

I think the scope sensitivity is sort of related to your non-scoped. If you put it between 38-45 it should match whatever you have non-scoped I think. Read it somewhere.
You have to go to widowmaker and ana and go to hero section and change relative sensitivty while scoped.

KiraFA37

Yea, it only appears as a setting when you select a sniper hero from the dropdown menu in the top left when changing controls. I was looking to change it one day and just couldn't find it, it just couldn't believe that Blizzard would forget something like this, thank god for google.

Akuun

I think the scope sensitivity is sort of related to your non-scoped. If you put it between 38-45 it should match whatever you have non-scoped I think. Read it somewhere.
You have to go to widowmaker and ana and go to hero section and change relative sensitivty while scoped.

Yea, it only appears as a setting when you select a sniper hero from the dropdown menu in the top left when changing controls. I was looking to change it one day and just couldn't find it, it just couldn't believe that Blizzard would forget something like this, thank god for google.
That's really dumb of them to hide it like that. I've never heard of any FPS doing that before.

Thanks, I'll check it out when I get home.

Holy shit, this changes everything.

Cappa

Banned
i have a digital copy, when i enter the playstation store from inside the game it says there is nothing on the store because my account doesn't match the game's region

if i bought boxes from the store outside the game, do you think it will come to my account ?

Edit: nevermind, just tried it, doesn't work, i guess i'll have to buy a US copy of the game now, but i'm still not sure if my rank and all my stuff will still be there in the same account i used to play the EU copy with
I have the same issues, if you try to buy the boxes within the game it tells me (This item is not available) or something like that.

You need to go to the PS Store from the Main Menu, and search for OVERWATCH Loot Boxes. You will be able to purchase loot boxes from there, remember to restart your game so they show up. This 100% works for me.

I have similar issues with other games when trying to buy in-game currency/DLC if you go directly from the PSN Store, I have no issues.

Edit: It sounds you tried what I said, did you log out of Overwatch and log back in? I think the issue could also be what I mentioned, since you have a digital copy, DLC is region locked. If you had a physical copy, youd be able to purchase DLC from any region.

KiraFA37

That's really dumb of them to hide it like that. I've never heard of any FPS doing that before.

Thanks, I'll check it out when I get home.

Holy shit, this changes everything.

Yea once I figured out there are some settings that are hero specific and don't show up on the "general" settings screen I scrolled over all the heroes to see if there are any differences. I mostly used it to set different crosshairs for different characters but these days I mostly use the short crosshair for every hero.

TheChaos0

Soo, I started at 2815, lose 3, win 3. Then lose 5 in a row because every single game has a troll. Then lose 7 and win 8, win 1 lose 1, win 2, lose 2...etc. Overall, I lost 4 games there, yet here I am at 2685. That's 130 SR difference! And the points I was going for wins were liek 20 points! I hate this MMR shit in this game.

Losing in OW has to be the worst experience in any multiplayer game I have ever played. Because half the time, it doesn't even matter how well you are doing, it's some bellend being a troll, or the team being stupid and not picking counter to the heroes the other team has. It's simple! AHhhhh!!!!!

LiK

I feel like I've settled on only watching Stylosa and Force when to comes to Overwatch news and random commentary. Other channels have been too dry or too idiotic for me.

Someone said that D.Va's Ulti is useless and that it can't kill anyone??

This happened in 10 minutes:

https://streamable.com/ldcft
https://streamable.com/bn0ra

That Hog tho... lmao.

Was playing DVa in Mystery Brawl earlier on Hanamura. Cleared out point A with a bomb and a triple kill. Went to point B, dropped another bomb, cleared it out of 4 people, but got killed as Zero Suit DVa while the bomb was going off. Nobody was there to take the point. We lost that game although we shoulda won. Bomb was PotG even.

T_T

Grief.exe

Just general tips. I'm treating this season as a sort of training grounds for Ana, then next season I will come out of the gate sprinting.

They probably just need to get rid of the anti-heal grenade mechanic.

That's a little extreme, potentially see significantly reduced Ana play unless Blizzard upgrades both the damage and healing from grenade to compensate.

Jellie

Just general tips. I'm treating this season as a sort of training grounds for Ana, then next season I will come out of the gate sprinting.

That's a little extreme, potentially see significantly reduced Ana play unless Blizzard upgrades both the damage and healing from grenade to compensate.

Well try not to use the grenade on yourself unless you have to (other healer is dead, no health packs, about to die if you don't use it etc). Use it on groups of enemies to maximise it. Getting it on a few of your teammates and some enemies can swing a fight your way. If you see two Reins charge throw it at them and their Rein should die pretty easily. If you suspect you need to dart an ult soon eg nanoboosted dragonblade, you'll most often be the first target so keep your dart ready and keep a look out. Get good with using her non scope so you can get better awareness of your surroundings too.

Prelude.

I feel like I've settled on only watching Stylosa and Force when to comes to Overwatch news and random commentary. Other channels have been too dry or too idiotic for me.
Stylosa got a lot, lot worse in the last few months or so, needlessly long videos about something he could sum up in maybe 3 sentences. Force is usually rambling about old news.

OW channels are kinda starved for ideas in general, unless they're meta/gameplay focused like Your Overwatch or characters/maps lore focused, they're really struggling to find something to talk about, as you can tell from those 10+ minutes videos on Mei's skin not good enough to be legendary or "Sentence not clickbaity enough to make you click on a 17 minutes video (Let me explain)".

LiK

Stylosa got a lot, lot worse in the last few months or so, needlessly long videos about something he could sum up in maybe 3 sentences. Force is usually rambling about old news.

OW channels are kinda starved for ideas in general, unless they're meta/gameplay focused like Your Overwatch or characters/maps lore focused, they're really struggling to find something to talk about, as you can tell from those 10+ minutes videos on Mei's skin not good enough to be legendary or "Sentence not clickbaity enough to make you click a 17 minutes video (Let me explain)".

Stylosa actually made a video about people hating his rambling videos and his recent videos are pretty on point again. I like Force mainly for his opinions. I don't really like reading up on news in the Blizz forums or dedicated fan sites so they keep me in the loop. They're still pretty fun to watch. I just like their personalities.

Most of the other channels I used to sub to are def outta ideas.

rulerk1

They need to get rid of all of hero warnings except for healers. Ppl take those more seriously than they should

Two healers in a match where I'm not one of them used to be common but now it's rare. Everyone cries for healing but no one wants to play support

1000 SR difference for grouping is way too much. I think Blizzard had it right in the beginning with the 500 SR limitation. 500 SR is already generous because 500 is the difference between each tier and allowing double that amount in lower ranks has really fucked with the game balance.

I also feel like they need to get rid of the streak bonus. It seems to be based a lot more on luck than actual player skill and is causing too much fluctuation in each tier and can be exploited at higher ranks. One well known method is throwing games intentionally to fall into a lower ranking so you can build up a win streak in easier matches and then boost your rank. Another example is that you can get a full group and play at odd hours which will cause the system to match you against lower rank players. While you will not gain much skill rank initially it will allow you to build up a huge win streak. You can then take that win streak and in a smaller group at normal hours use it to get big gains.

But people said the one hero limit would make people take quick play more seriously...

It's better than it was before but that's not saying much.

Never change GAF - 7 games and measuring stat percentiles.

Prelude.

Stylosa actually made a video about people hating his rambling videos and his recent videos are pretty on point again. I like Force mainly for his opinions. I don't really like reading up on news in the Blizz forums or dedicated fan sites so they keep me in the loop. They're still pretty fun to watch. I just like their personalities.

Most of the other channels I used to sub to are def outta ideas.
Stylosa is trying to take advantage of the new YT algorithm and that obviously affects the quality of the videos a lot, Force is fine but he doesn't bring anything new to the table and he usually doesn't do enough research on the topic, his video about OW youtubers was pretty accurate.

LiK

There was one guy who did videos about cool but usless things you can do in the game but I dunno if he has anything new recently. Need to look it up and see.

Yea once I figured out there are some settings that are hero specific and don't show up on the "general" settings screen I scrolled over all the heroes to see if there are any differences. I mostly used it to set different crosshairs for different characters but these days I mostly use the short crosshair for every hero.

I still have to remind people to set individual team health bars for healers and Zarya, etc. so they can keep an eye on who needs heals.

YourOverwatch is still the best channel imo.

This is true. Any vids of pros / masters players playing and talking about their mindset is also good.

Akuun

They need to get rid of all of hero warnings except for healers. Ppl take those more seriously than they should

Two healers in a match where I'm not one of them used to be common but now it's rare. Everyone cries for healing but no one wants to play support
This is why I always find myself playing support. It's not like I particularly like it, but I play it the most because otherwise I often end up with a team with no healers.

The warnings do need to be loosened up though. Symmetra is really only half a support now, and Ana doesn't really count as a sniper. You also sometimes end up in situations where everyone plays a flanker and then people wonder why there's no core group to produce the damage needed to make a push.

KiraFA37

While on the topic of youtube channels, any recommendations of channels which cast overwatch matches? I've been following gosugamers overwatch's youtube channel but they haven't posted anything lately.

Hey gaf, anyone on PC who is down to scrim and do matches on PC should let me know. I'm thinking about setting up something where we do weeklies and I can cast and provide some feedback and stuff as well. I've been thinking of getting into casting a bit and setting up something on my own is probably the best way to do it. Plus it's good for team/strategy building as well.

xaosslug

is today troll day? I was matched on a team w/ a Mei that kept walling us off in my first game of the day and in my second someone insta-locked Mercy (I checked their profile and they don't play Mercy outside of QP. They run Tracer and S76, nobody on our team chose Tracer or S76... so they were free to choose 'em, and we already had a Lucio)... wtf? T__T

Top Bottom