• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Well that's on them then, give the enemy team a 1 man advantage
Also I stated that her Mecha call back would be hindered by a 25% delay
So if you hide, wait awhile
If your in there fighting get your Mecha back

No other hero has this much leeway
600 + 150 Health, Cool down that are almost instant, no punishment for being to aggressive

Every other Hero has abilities that either are Cool down timer hampered or if used are at a huge disadvantage for short bursts
With D.Va I feel there is none, each ability covers the other and she has a fail safe if Mecha gets destroyed

Road misses a hook, well, they are out of luck for roughly 10 sec to hook again
Cause they have yo get it back and adjust to Hook again
Soldier if he heals is almost stationary within area, no mobility
Tracer without Rewind is DOA
etc.

She stand out the most in that she combos off her abilities so frequently, that its insane that you have to completely kill the Hero before getting to the objective, cause D.Va herself to be killed is a goddamn mini objective
What if a hacked DVa lost the ability to eject and just blew up with the meka?

It'd be like a nerf DVa buff Sombra in one go? :D

Yeah she shouldn't get her mech immediately if she ults when it's destroyed for sure. It's bullshit she can hope right back in when you earned the mech kill. D. Va, while I main her, is way to good with way to few weaknesses. Mei can counter her well, but all you gotta do is boost away after she freezes you the first time.

I don't do this, but I can kind of understand it.

Season 3 brought us the season where you placed where you belong.

For a lot of people this meant there was no climb. I ended last season at 3750 and started this season at 3800. It was a hell of a climb to get to 3750, and then I had 3800 sort of handed to me. After which it feels like the only way to go is down. Note that I ended in the Top 500 as well, so the odds of my actually climbing anywhere is pretty small.

Anyway, climbing or ranking up in a competitive game is a great feeling. You feel like you're progressing, getting better, and generally having more fun.

I understand why Blizzard did what they did, and I don't necessarily disagree with it, but I think the current placement formula has a major flaw, and that is that it sucks the fun out of the climb.

Coming from a fighting game background I like the way those games have handled rankings. Start from the bottom and if you're good work your way up. I don't agree with everyone starting from different spots. I placed 3k last season and started this season again at 3k. It's very stagnant.

Zakalwe

Banned
Just bought a copy on ps4, playing for the first time.

Long-time fps veteran. TF2 hours in the Ks. Anything you think I need to know before jumping in?

Really excited to play!

Just bought a copy on ps4, playing for the first time.

Long-time fps veteran. TF2 hours in the Ks. Anything you think I need to know before jumping in?

Really excited to play!

Start with the Mystery Heroes (or Winter Mystery) under the Arcade section.

It gives you a random hero every time you die, and is a great way to sample a lot of characters in one shot.

The game is very reliant on audio, so make sure you can hear well. Audio cues are incredibly important, to the point blizzard balances the game with it heavily in mind.

Death's are super important, and if you ever notice that you team has obtained 2 kills pretty close by, that should be your cue to move forward and take ground/the objective.

Kill feed is off by default, I recommend turning it on.

I also recommend turning on ally health bars under specific characters (76, and Zarya mostly).

Finally, I recommend leaving the crosshairs on their character defaults for a while until you've gotten to know them. Then, once you have, switch to the small dot crosshair for better headshot stuff. The default crosshairs are interactive though, and help familiarize you with weapon bloom and things like that.

Edit: Also, watch the kill cams to see how other characters are played by other people so you can more quickly understand even more characters.

Had a comp match with someone from europe. He says he's playing in NA servers because the EU servers are extremely toxic.

Anyone who plays both servers, any clue on which is more toxic?

NeoRaider

Had a comp match with someone from europe. He says he's playing in NA servers because the EU servers are extremely toxic.

No one can answer you this. Because it's about the personal experience. Both can be toxic, i mean if you play with randoms you can encounter toxic players everywhere no matter the region.

Zakalwe

Banned
Start with the Mystery Heroes (or Winter Mystery) under the Arcade section.

It gives you a random hero every time you die, and is a great way to sample a lot of characters in one shot.

The game is very reliant on audio, so make sure you can hear well. Audio cues are incredibly important, to the point blizzard balances the game with it heavily in mind.

Death's are super important, and if you ever notice that you team has obtained 2 kills pretty close by, that should be your cue to move forward and take ground/the objective.

Kill feed is off by default, I recommend turning it on.

I also recommend turning on ally health bars under specific characters (76, and Zarya mostly).

Finally, I recommend leaving the crosshairs on their character defaults for a while until you've gotten to know them. Then, once you have, switch to the small dot crosshair for better headshot stuff. The default crosshairs are interactive though, and help familiarize you with weapon bloom and things like that.

Edit: Also, watch the kill cams to see how other characters are played by other people so you can more quickly understand even more characters.

Exactly the sort of advice I was looking for, thank you!

DLing updates now. Whelp!

Kiko

Depends on the time I'm playing. E.g. Sat morning EU is bullshit on EU I rather play with the night owls from west coast US. Playing evening EU is fine. A lot more mature players evenings during the week imo.

What was everyone's favorite meta since the game released?

Tank buster McCree with crazy Widow?

Genju?

Lucio/Zen dominance?

Not sure what the meta before this previous patch would be called, but Zarya was insane, Ana was even better than now. The meta that season 2 began with.

Or the no DPS, all tank and healing meta we are in now?

I think beginning of season two was great. Tracer was so damn fun to play as in that meta, now I never get to play her :(

This current meta does feel really wonky and not quite what this game should be IMO. But it does get major points for the ult nerf. And at least it's more of a comp that is super OP not necessarily one character (before you say Ana just remember that she has only gotten worse in the past few months, just because she works great with tanks who are in the meta doesn't mean she alone is as good as Zen, McCree, and Genji have been in the past.)

Jellie

Genju?

Lucio/Zen dominance?

Not sure what the meta before this previous patch would be called, but Zarya was insane, Ana was even better than now. The meta that season 2 began with.

I think beginning of season two was great. Tracer was so damn fun to play as in that meta, now I never get to play her :(

This current meta does feel really wonky and not quite what this game should be IMO. But it does get major points for the ult nerf. And at least it's more of a comp that is super OP not necessarily one character (before you say Ana just remember that she has only gotten worse in the past few months, just because she works great with tanks who are in the meta doesn't mean she alone is as good as Zen, McCree, and Genji have been in the past.)
Maybe Zen meta since it's pretty much the opposite of the tank meta?

Anne

Genju?

Lucio/Zen dominance?

It's really beta Genji/Zen nonsense > 0HL Winston/Lucio/Tracer/etc > Widow + FtH > PharMercy Rez > Zen/Lucio and deathball dive > Beyblade > current tank meta.

Zen/Lucio meta was my fave by far. The viable hero pool was fairly limited, but mechanical skill, aggressive strat execution, and the map specific picks like Mei/Junkrat were exciting. It still had a lot of problems I'm glad are gone, especially ult snowballing garbage, but there was a lot of cool stuff going on otherwise.

Viability was a bit wider in Beyblade meta, but tbh I still hate the fact that every single strat revolved around Ana's Nanoboost in some way.

I'm from EU and I have played some on NA servers. Not enough to say definitively, but there is a not-insignificant amount of toxicity on EU comp for sure. Sometimes really bad, some ignorant dumbass was just throwing the n-word around yesterday in voice chat, so I just reported him for all the good that'll do and left voice chat. I've never had anything like that happen on NA. I'm sure it's there too, but the times I've played on NA, I don't think I've ever heard toxic voice chat, while I've experienced plenty of name calling on EU voice chat.

Meccs

Two questions:

1. Why is everyone with voice chat 12 years old?
2. Why does it take so long to get a game going on PC?

antitrop

Two questions:

Most people in voice chat sound like they're in their 20s to me and it usually takes me 1-2 minutes to get a match, so I dunno.

Two questions:

It's usually older people (20s-30s) I get matched with, and tbh the noticeably younger folks have been pretty chill and very open to teamwork.

As for #2, not sure. It's kind of hit-or-miss with me, some comp. games are instant as soon as I hit the button, some take up to a minute. It usually falls on the shorter end of the spectrum though.

1. Wait three minutes to find a game.
2. Wait one minute for game to start.
3. Annihilate the enemy teams defense in the first 30 seconds.
4. Person on enemy team leaves the game, game gets canceled, no one loses or wins.

Hate how this is a thing :/

Grief.exe

Blizzard could likely increase the speed of matchmaking significantly by reducing their requirements for teams to be of similar SR. That would negatively impact match quality, but the queue times would be quicker. It's a trade off, but I would prefer longer queues for potentially better overall match quality.

My average queue time seems to be around a minute for 1-3 person groups anyways ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jblanks

I'm really glad I lose more points with a loss when someone on my team leaves first round, then when I get a win. And that there's no report function on PS4 to report that player.

Christmas Break likely explains why my teams are so terrible during the day. I took this week off of work.
Oh my gosh I didn't even think about that. I've been getting pissed at competitive play the past week and now I know why. We are essentially in a weekend that lasts a few weeks.

Meccs

For 12 person skill-based matchmaking? Not really.

I played League of Legends, one of the most popular games in the world, and still got queue times of over a minute for 10 people.
It's the same for "Quick" Play though. Sometimes takes 3 minutes, way more if you count the stupid skirmish too. Pretty weird for a game that is supposed to have so many players.

Gonna post this again to gauge interest

Anyone on PC who is down to scrim and do matches on PC should let me know. I'm thinking about setting up something where we do weeklies and I can cast and provide some feedback and stuff as well. I've been thinking of getting into casting a bit and setting up something on my own is probably the best way to do it. Plus it's good for team/strategy building as well, as we could run through positioning advice things/ that could synergize better and the like afterwards.

caesar

Banned

Anyone on PC who is down to scrim and do matches on PC should let me know. I'm thinking about setting up something where we do weeklies and I can cast and provide some feedback and stuff as well. I've been thinking of getting into casting a bit and setting up something on my own is probably the best way to do it. Plus it's good for team/strategy building as well, as we could run through positioning advice things/ that could synergize better and the like afterwards.

I would be down, im in europe so not sure about timezones. Honestly the 100+ ping would be ok, I don't mind playing Lucio and doing some shotcalling or some other non aim intensive hero even though I prefer dps/ana.

http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/eu/caesar-2952 3800 high in case it matters, keep me updated.

Zakalwe

Banned
Played some arcade games (the one that switches characters after a death), a 1v1 which went to 4/4 and I won in the fifth (got pretty tense at the end), and a few quick plays.

First impressions are very positive. I love the weight of the characters and the weapons have decent feedback. It all feels incredibly solid.

Movement is the best part, it's a joy to move across the battle field.

Did not know this was 60fps on ps4. Very pleasant surprise.

I don't mind the queue times tbh, the way it manages to get a game of two teams within like 5 SR is impressive. Plus I know I'm going full Blizzard fanboy "this bad thing is actually good" here but the queue times give me a chance to breathe after comp games.

Also weird the event is ending on the 2nd, figured it'd be the 3rd since that's a Tuesday although maybe they're ending the event when the lootboxes reset? Either way I wonder if it's going to end an hour early like the last two events...

darklin0

Banned
My queue times average between 4-6 minutes.

I like to tell myself it is because I am so amazing it can't find players that can keep up. :p

CrazyDude

Finding it tiring having people drop out in competitive games when down by one and have it effect your skill ranking because it's impossible to win 4 vs 6.

Jellie

Gaffers only? Might be interested. Dunno if you want really really good people for your scrims though. Is diamond ok?

Top Bottom