• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Also, oversumo are a bunch of liars telling me I'm not a great Zarya, dva, or roadhog. I think I know which characters I'm good at without a bunch of stats getting in my way.

Everyone knows that you can only play Rein
and Torb

I checked that app and I'm a grandmaster Pharah in all stats and also Mei(!). Master S76, Genji and D.Va (should be GM too, only the critical hits stat isn't at that level). With this I officially declare that my Lucio duty is over
I wish

It's obviously a dumb metric because we usually face people in the 2500-3000 range.

Acidote

I just killed someone with Hanzo right before coming to work in the most unintentional stupidest E use ever. It took so long it must have been the 4th or 5th ricochet touching his WM.

Simple geometry.

psyfi

Banned
Even though I've read it a million times, my brain just scrambled "Harmony Orb" into Horny Orb. Thought yall should know.

maouvin

Even though I've read it a million times, my brain just scrambled "Harmony Orb" into Horny Orb. Thought yall should know.

tumblr_oiv07ohtAw1sn4eavo1_1280.png

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You know what genuinely makes me uncomfortable in this game?

Every time Reinhardt hits a wall. The noise he makes actually bugs me. Like I feel like I'm contributing to concussing an old man.

Cappa

Banned
Also, oversumo are a bunch of liars telling me I'm not a great Zarya, dva, or roadhog. I think I know which characters I'm good at without a bunch of stats getting in my way.

Thats a sign you should only and forever play Rein.

Everyone knows that you can only play Rein
and Torb

I checked that app and I'm a grandmaster Pharah in all stats and also Mei(!). Master S76, Genji and D.Va (should be GM too, only the critical hits stat isn't at that level). With this I officially declare that my Lucio duty is over
I wish

It's obviously a dumb metric because we usually face people in the 2500-3000 range.

around what time did you guys play last night? You guys playing tonight? I want to lose some games. :)

Meccs

Just bought the game for PC after having played not a single minute before in any beta or free weekend. I don't like TeamF2. Hated Overwatch for the first 30 minutes (OMG is this a MOBA without NPCs? Why are the maps so tiny?)... 3 hours later and I understand why people love this game. Holy crap!

I've bought now all three major online shooters of 2016. Titanfall 2, BF1 and Overwatch. I need to stop.

Blues1990

this game is officially pretty bad

yikes at this balance situation lmao
You're not wrong. I want to play some of the other heroes, but given the games imbalance/lack of team cordornation, it's a mess right now. I want to play more Winston, but D.Va does his job better, making him irrelevant.

Satch

Banned
You're not wrong. I want to play some of the other heroes, but given the games imbalance/lack of team cordornation, it's a mess right now. I want to play more Winston, but D.Va does his job better, making him irrelevant.
I was playing reinhardt earlier and had a mercy on my team while the other team had an ana, and their reinhardt would just walk up to me and start smashing my face in with the mercy pocketing me... because ana makes him invincible so he never has to shield apparently lol

So we just auto lose because they have Ana and we dont? Nice game blizzard

caesar

Banned
I was playing reinhardt earlier and had a mercy on my team while the other team had an ana, and their reinhardt would just walk up to me and start smashing my face in with the mercy pocketing me... because ana makes him invincible so he never has to shield apparently lol

You should've charged him then.

Cappa

Banned

You lost because your team was, I assume, solo healing with Mercy. This game is as balanced as it gets, I dont get your complaint?

Are there some heroes that should be picked over others and that can be considered "overpowered"? Id argue no, but in the case for some time with Lucio, and now Rein, S76, DVA, Ana etc... sure , but the other team using Ana isnt why you lost.

Ive had plenty of wins, playing on teams with no Rein and no Ana, if your set up is not working, why not switch to something else? I dont think blaming Blizarrd for making an unbalanced game is a reasonable critique, you have other options to switch to something that works....

Edit: Im curious, if you had the same exact hero picks as the other teams, and lost every game, would you still consider the game unbalanced?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It just means that the other team needs to match your hero in order to win.

Ana isn't balanced. I mean you can argue that mirror matches are balanced but it's not where i want the game to be at.

Cappa

Banned
I understand some heroes are considered to be "unbalanced or OP" right now like S76, DVA, Ana, or in the past liike Lucio pre-speed boost nerf, Genji etc but having an Ana on one side, and not the other does not guarantee a loss or a win.

If picking Ana, meant my team was going to win every match, Id be picking her no matter what the fact is it does not.

Edit:Im not arguing that there arent some heroes that are really good, that there are some that are only good in certain situations and some are just plain terrible no matter what... but at least at the level I play at choosing an Ana/Lucio/Rein/Dva/Hog/S76 comp or the like is not going to guarantee a win.

I just dont see how the game is as broken as some people seem to be saying it is thats all, to each their own.

Antiwhippy

When your team gets caught in a graviton and you sleep darted the pharah just before she did any real damage with barrage.

CS0xH7m.jpg

Sounds like you guys had some good games @Nuno, Owners, Psychoward :) I'll be back on late next week as I'm on a holiday trip.

As soon as you hit diamond you abandoned us, are we not worthy anymore?

jk see you next week then :)

around what time did you guys play last night? You guys playing tonight? I want to lose some games. :)

~2AM-5AM GMT

I will most likely be on, my sleeping schedule is all over the place right now D:

4 didn't deserve that high up, was just a lucky hook

That sneaky ana sleep in to the earth shatter is hilarious though

Nah i wouldnt say its luck cause:

Its Hymzi lol an amazing roadhog player

You see the tracer blink through on the side so im sure hymzi saw that. (Pretty much why he turned around)

Also
To actually risk the predict of the hook instead of waiting for the peak which would have also given neptuno a chance to blink out was a great call by him and some good game sense

If i was in that position i would have 100% waited for the peak round the corner i really love that play.

Skii

You lost because your team was, I assume, solo healing with Mercy. This game is as balanced as it gets, I dont get your complaint?

Are there some heroes that should be picked over others and that can be considered "overpowered"? Id argue no, but in the case for some time with Lucio, and now Rein, S76, DVA, Ana etc... sure , but the other team using Ana isnt why you lost.

Ive had plenty of wins, playing on teams with no Rein and no Ana, if your set up is not working, why not switch to something else? I dont think blaming Blizarrd for making an unbalanced game is a reasonable critique, you have other options to switch to something that works....

Edit: Im curious, if you had the same exact hero picks as the other teams, and lost every game, would you still consider the game unbalanced?

If you have a good Mercy on your team and face a team with a good Ana, they will win all the time. Ana literally negates all healing meaning Mercy is completely useless for periods of the game.

This game is not even remotely balanced lol. Everyone at higher play defaults to triple or quadruple tank because of Ana, Dva and Roadhog not balanced.

Just because you've won games without the unbalanced heroes doesn't mean they're balanced.

Snagret

Edit:Im not arguing that there arent some heroes that are really good, that there are some that are only good in certain situations and some are just plain terrible no matter what
I mean, that's kind of the problem and what people here are saying. I agree with you in the sense that calling the game "broken" is maybe a bit of a stretch, but the heroes are perhaps at some of their most unbalanced since the game launched.

Obviously there aren't characters you automatically win by picking. A good team with bad comp will still likely beat a bad team with good comp, but if you stack up the characters and the roles they fill against other characters who fill those same roles, some characters are just more powerful and that's a knock against the current balance. Each character should fill it's own unique role, and right now we're seeing too many heroes that are too universally useful. Ana, S76, Dva, and Rein are being played in almost every team I'm in. It's a rigid formula for "good team comp" which is exactly what this game shouldn't be and there's no way we aren't going to see some changes come to those characters very, very soon because Blizzard also doesn't want the game to be like that.

Cappa

Banned
I mean, that's kind of the problem and what people here are saying. I agree with you in the sense that calling the game "broken" is maybe a bit of a stretch, but the heroes are perhaps at some of their most unbalanced since the game launched.

Obviously there aren't characters you automatically win by picking. A good team with bad comp will still likely beat a bad team with good comp, but if you stack up the characters and the roles they fill against other characters who fill those same roles, some characters are just more powerful and that's a knock against the current balance. Each character should fill it's own unique role, and right now we're seeing too many heroes that are too universally useful. Ana, S76, Dva, and Rein are being played in almost every team I'm in. It's a rigid formula for "good team comp" which is exactly what this game shouldn't be and there's no way we aren't going to see some changes come to those characters very, very soon because Blizzard also doesn't want the game to be like that.

I definitely agree with you on this, like you said, the game isnt broken its not perfect obviously and I think its going to be awhile before we reach perfect balance but I personally dont feel like theres a hero right now thats going to win or a lose solely based on a team picking them or not.

I think they need to do a better job of making all heroes viable in at least some situations yeah, but I dont play overwatch and feel like the game is completely unbalanced just because the opposing team had Ana and we didnt.

On the topic of balance, Ana and D.Va can fuck right off. As someone who mains Zenyatta, I can melt each and every damn tank who even looks at me funny, but D.Va with her jump jets and humongous amounts of armour PLUS another 150 health after destruction of Mech is the one tank I don't even mess with unless I've got someone backing me up.

Ana is just a straight asshole character. Her grenade increases your own team's healing, negates opposite side's healing and her sleep dart will damn near negate any Ult which takes some time to execute. Her noob rifle does humongous amounts of damage and her hitbox is tinier than a thimble. Oh and I almost forgot, her Ult charges extremely fast and perfectly timed ones can stop the other team dead in its tracks for the entirety of the game. The best counter to Ana is an even better Ana on your own team.

Mupod

D-Va throws me off as Zenyatta because I played the game so much early on that I was used to fighting her a specific way. But then they buffed her to ridiculous levels during the months I wasn't paying attention to the game. I used to know the safe range to start chucking balls at her face but now it's like I get melted in .5 seconds from halfway across the room. Overall they were net buffs to me because most of the time I play this game with a guy who uses that character 90% of the time, so whatever.

Anyways, arcade mode is starting to wear on my patience. Requiring 9 wins a week in a mode where everybody just fucks around and trolls doesn't seem like a good idea to me. And then there's the mode where your victory is determined by RNG and hoping you don't get attack on Hanamura. Why not move the 'wins' reward to quick play and just have a 'play X matches' in Arcade.

Maybe last night was just a fluke since I usually win 90% of my 3v3 but man it got super frustrating. The balance in there is so insanely lopsided which makes trolling character picks even worse, assuming they are even playing and not afk in the spawn.

Antiwhippy

D-Va throws me off as Zenyatta because I played the game so much early on that I was used to fighting her a specific way. But then they buffed her to ridiculous levels during the months I wasn't paying attention to the game. I used to know the safe range to start chucking balls at her face but now it's like I get melted in .5 seconds from halfway across the room. Overall they were net buffs to me because most of the time I play this game with a guy who uses that character 90% of the time, so whatever.

Her damage fall off is still the same and damage is still the same, so she really shouldn't be melting you from halfway across the room. It's just a movement speed buff but she still needs to get in close to melt people.

NeoRaider

Anyone else getting "Unexpected server error"? It just happened to me and now it says "In battle.net queue, 30 players ahead of you." wtf?

Danj

Did anyone else just get booted off and then get stuck in a queue when you try to reconnect?

Anyone else getting "Unexpected server error"? It just happened to me and now it says "In battle.net queue, 30 players ahead of you." wtf?

EDIT: ah so it's not just me then

BigDug13

I understand some heroes are considered to be "unbalanced or OP" right now like S76, DVA, Ana, or in the past liike Lucio pre-speed boost nerf, Genji etc but having an Ana on one side, and not the other does not guarantee a loss or a win.

If picking Ana, meant my team was going to win every match, Id be picking her no matter what the fact is it does not.

Edit:Im not arguing that there arent some heroes that are really good, that there are some that are only good in certain situations and some are just plain terrible no matter what... but at least at the level I play at choosing an Ana/Lucio/Rein/Dva/Hog/S76 comp or the like is not going to guarantee a win.

I just dont see how the game is as broken as some people seem to be saying it is thats all, to each their own.

Ana can heal up to 600 hps in a single grenade. Nobody else has that level of healing in a simple ability. Ana can heal for nearly 200 hps a sec around half the time and nearly 100 hps a sec the other half. Nobody else has that level of healing. She allows tanks to be able to go full offensive because they no longer have to try to protect themselves. She outheals the damage received which shouldn't be allowed in a balanced FPS. She's the only healer with 100 instant self healing that can also deal damage to a close range opponent. She's the only healer with counters for many ults through sleep dart (and grenade vs Zen ult). She can single handedly heal a single target faster than Mercy, Zen, and Lucio all healing the same target at once. Oh and she has possibly the best support ult in the game. Actually not just support, she has one of the best ults in the game across all characters.

Grenade heal buff needs to go away and then I'd say she's back to where she needs to be. Grenade heal buff makes all healing super strong which is unhealthy for the game.

cHinzo

But they didn't even buff D.Va's damage or range lol.

Well yeah, no shit. No character guarantees a win, you still need be a decent/player team. That has no relevance to character balance though.

Musician

How about this idea for balance: switch sombras and roadhogs weapons.

Roadhog now has a rapid fire high spread smg that might very well kill someone he hooks but still gives them a fair chance to get away while Sombra now is a proper assassin with high burst but slow ROF and a long reload. Imagine using her translocator to go up in the air and finishing someone of with the secondary fire *drool*

The idea of Sombra with a big ass scrap gun and roadhog with a tiny SMG really tickles me, too

How about this idea for balance: switch sombras and roadhogs weapons.

Roadhog now has a rapid fire high spread smg that might very well kill someone he hooks but still gives them a fair chance to get away while Sombra now is a proper assassin with high burst but slow ROF and a long reload. Imagine using her translocator to go up in the air and finishing someone of with the secondary fire *drool*

The idea of Sombra with a big ass scrap gun and roadhog with a tiny SMG really tickles me, too
I think nerfing Hog's ability to pick in any way is going to fuck with him too badly, that's his niche and that's why I love to play him. I'd accept slower cooldowns or even 200 healing, anything but his wombo combo.

Hey don't you besmirch the name of Oversumo...they say I'm a Grandmaster Junkrat and that's the truth!

Only an app as far as I know.

bah, if I don't have enough space I'm just going to assume it means I'm a GM Zarya

edit: downloaded it, seems wonky as hell. Says I'm a bronze lucio in qp but a master lucio in comp. Meh, not gonna take it too seriously.

Does say I'm a Plat III Torb though, watch out Owzers.

Roadhog's hook range is absurd, they should reduce it to 15-17 meters from 20 and also increase the cooldown to 8 seconds instead of 6. Nothing too drastic.

Ana should be tweaked too, her healing potential is insane. Remove the healing boost from the grenade and maybe reduce the healing per shot (60-65)? Her fire rate is pretty good so that should be ok.

People said S76 wasn't that good with 17 damage per shot. Now with 20 he's supposedly too good... there's a 3 damage margin there so they can adjust that too.

Does D.Va really need 600hp? I really like to play with her now but my experience with her is very limited since I never used her before.

Nerfs for everyone.

bah, if I don't have enough space I'm just going to assume it means I'm a GM Zarya

edit: downloaded it, seems wonky as hell. Says I'm a bronze lucio in qp but a master lucio in comp. Meh, not gonna take it too seriously.

Does say I'm a Plat III Torb though, watch out Owzers.

Yeah I don't pay attention to the overall QP stats because that has all the games where I sucked at the beginning and was still learning, so the ratio is off. Especially since all of Oversumo's stats are based on per death, and I died a LOT when I first started.

Example: It says I'm Bronze Zenyatta but Gold Mercy according to QP and I know that's just not true. I suuuuuhuhhuck as Mercy.

Does D.Va really need 600hp? I really like to play with her now but my experience with her is very limited since I never used her before.

D.Va's HP is tricky because she has that extra 150 HP when she gets ejected from her mech. I've found that I stay in my mech a lot longer (obviously) with the 600 HP buff compared to 500, however I get focused down as naked D.Va a LOT more now once I'm out of my mech, while with 500 HP people allowed me to escape more often. And I do the same when fighting a D.Va.

Honestly, I don't think D.Va needs to be changed any more - changing Ana's heal capabilities would have enough of a domino effect I think. But if Blizzard is intent on keeping Ana the same, they might have to bring her HP back down to 500. I wouldn't say do both, though.

D.Va's HP is tricky because she has that extra 150 HP when she gets ejected from her mech. I've found that I stay in my mech a lot longer (obviously) with the 600 HP buff compared to 500, however I get focused down as naked D.Va a LOT more now once I'm out of my mech, while with 500 HP people allowed me to escape more often. And I do the same when fighting a D.Va.

Honestly, I don't think D.Va needs to be changed any more - changing Ana's heal capabilities would have enough of a domino effect I think. But if Blizzard is intent on keeping Ana the same, they might have to bring her HP back down to 500. I wouldn't say do both, though.

Yeah that is true.

I won't mind if D.Va stays as it is, it just seems weird looking at the other tanks hp.

Top Bottom