• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Mendrox

Anyone got troubles with battle.net? Friend of mine got kicked out of ranked matches and 3-4 people from the enemy too (even people with groups, not left from their accord). Not that I complain about free wins, but...that seriously sucked.

Hero

On the topic of balance, Ana and D.Va can fuck right off. As someone who mains Zenyatta, I can melt each and every damn tank who even looks at me funny, but D.Va with her jump jets and humongous amounts of armour PLUS another 150 health after destruction of Mech is the one tank I don't even mess with unless I've got someone backing me up.

So you want your main to be able to melt every single tank in the game? You don't want balance, you just want your character to be good against every tank in the game....

So you want your main to be able to melt every single tank in the game? You don't want balance, you just want your character to be good against every tank in the game....

I didn't say that now, did I? I can still melt through D.Va, it just takes slightly more cunning to do so, not to mention making sure I've got back up. But the fact of the matter is that D.Va's total effective HP (including armour and the pilot HP) is way, way higher than it should be. There isn't a tank in the game who can tank (negate damage whatever), flank, do massive damage at close range AND escape as efficiently as D.Va. And even though my rant might not suggest this, I play D.Va a lot. She's one of the most fun characters to play, but I realise that half of the fun is basically because if I have even a halfway competent DPS or support backing me up, I won't be in any trouble unless I or the team fuck up massively. And sometimes, the support isn't even necessary.

Another thing is that this has nothing to do with my choice of main. D.Va has TWICE the amount of armour as the next highest armoured hero, Reinhardt. She has 350 HP (including pilot), which is less than only Winston who has only 100 armour. I don't understand the need for one hero to have so much more survivability than her other counterparts. Not to mention better mobility (arguably) than all of them and an ability that basically makes her immune to damage for 4 seconds every 10 seconds.

Also, on topic of melting tanks, there's nothing more satisfying than discording a charging Rein and killing him before his charge ends with the pin. So much fun. :D

Yeah that is true.

I won't mind if D.Va stays as it is, it just seems weird looking at the other tanks hp.

If anything, the thing that should be changed for D.Va is that she shouldn't be allowed to activate her nuke when her mech gets destroyed. Having that as an emergency and then getting her mech back at full health after the bomb goes off means teams have to be extra wary about focusing her down at close range. But with 600 HP you have to be able to allow teams to get up close and personal to destroy her.

That by itself would be enough of a "nerf" for her players I think.

If anything, the thing that should be changed for D.Va is that she shouldn't be allowed to activate her nuke when her mech gets destroyed. Having that as an emergency and then getting her mech back at full health after the bomb goes off means teams have to be extra wary about focusing her down at close range. But with 600 HP you have to be able to allow teams to get up close and personal to destroy her.

Meet in the middle?

Make it so she can detonate her Mech if she's losing it anyway, but remove the instant recall under that specific scenario.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Today got teamed up with a group carrying a silver friend of theirs. Now I don't really mind this but the guy was fairly bad. Wouldn't combo ults as dva when we get them gravitoned. Managed to win by landing a lot of clutch barrage wombo combos, but I was still confused at the way he was playing and asked why he didn't do it, and someone in his group stated that he's autistic. Which I guess good for him if he's enjoying the game.

Got them on the opposing side next match and managed to steamroll them. Should I feel bad?

Jellie

Today got teamed up with a group carrying a silver friend of theirs. Now I don't really mind this but the guy was fairly bad. Wouldn't combo ults as dva when we get them gravitoned. Managed to win by landing a lot of clutch barrage wombo combos, but I was still confused at the way he was playing and asked why he didn't do it, and someone in his group stated that he's autistic. Which I guess good for him if he's enjoying the game.

Got them on the opposing side next match and managed to steamroll them. Should I feel bad?

Had this happen in QP a few times where we steam a 3/4 stack and then get called asshole try hards when we win because one of them is either autistic, a little brother trying the game or some other reason. Don't really know how to react to that but haven't had this happen in a while though.

That's usually not that effective though, you can take a lot of damage when entering your mech if you're close to the enemy team.

Danj

Why is everything always career best in arcade? I'm sure I've had bigger numbers than this before.

ppsOvrE.jpg

Blues1990

I honestly didn't noticed when I was playing with you. Did this happen before, or after, we grouped up for competitive?

Hero

I didn't say that now, did I? I can still melt through D.Va, it just takes slightly more cunning to do so, not to mention making sure I've got back up. But the fact of the matter is that D.Va's total effective HP (including armour and the pilot HP) is way, way higher than it should be. There isn't a tank in the game who can tank (negate damage whatever), flank, do massive damage at close range AND escape as efficiently as D.Va. And even though my rant might not suggest this, I play D.Va a lot. She's one of the most fun characters to play, but I realise that half of the fun is basically because if I have even a halfway competent DPS or support backing me up, I won't be in any trouble unless I or the team fuck up massively. And sometimes, the support isn't even necessary.

Another thing is that this has nothing to do with my choice of main. D.Va has TWICE the amount of armour as the next highest armoured hero, Reinhardt. She has 350 HP (including pilot), which is less than only Winston who has only 100 armour. I don't understand the need for one hero to have so much more survivability than her other counterparts. Not to mention better mobility (arguably) than all of them and an ability that basically makes her immune to damage for 4 seconds every 10 seconds.

Also, on topic of melting tanks, there's nothing more satisfying than discording a charging Rein and killing him before his charge ends with the pin. So much fun. :D

Well the way you made your post came off as needless whining because your main couldn't melt her instantly. You made an effort into talking about why you think D.Va needs more balancing in this post, some of which I agree with, but the thing is you have to look at the characters with having strengths and weaknesses. D.Va has more Armor than Rein, sure, but Rein has an infinitely better shield that can flat out negate a lot of ults (including D.Va's herself) and a massive AOE ult plus great melee damage. I think D.Va is definitely on the stronger end right now but it's not like she makes the other tanks in the game obsolete.

Well the way you made your post came off as needless whining because your main couldn't melt her instantly. You made an effort into talking about why you think D.Va needs more balancing in this post, some of which I agree with, but the thing is you have to look at the characters with having strengths and weaknesses. D.Va has more Armor than Rein, sure, but Rein has an infinitely better shield that can flat out negate a lot of ults (including D.Va's herself) and a massive AOE ult plus great melee damage. I think D.Va is definitely on the stronger end right now but it's not like she makes the other tanks in the game obsolete.

That would be coz I'm dicking around at work as opposed to dicking around on Overwatch on a freakin' Friday before New Year's Eve. I didn't mean to sound whiny, but as you can see from my argument, I wasn't necessarily wrong on ALL fronts. Maybe on some, but yes, I do agree that D.Va doesn't make ALL tanks obsolete, just a few, like Winston. Btw, Rein, even without his big blue bulwark of blight blocking and Destroyer of Demesne / Pulverizer of Property Ult should be welcome on all teams just on the strength of his voice lines alone. "CATCHPHRASE!".

Meet in the middle?

Make it so she can detonate her Mech if she's losing it anyway, but remove the instant recall under that specific scenario.

That would work too. It would actually be better, I think, I was just going for the simplest solution.

That's usually not that effective though, you can take a lot of damage when entering your mech if you're close to the enemy team.

True. But if the nuke is going off people may scramble for cover and can lose track of her.

Personally I think it's one of those changes that would seem innocuous at first but would change things for the better overall.

Just for discussion sake.

Ults Rein can negate with his shield:
  • McCree
  • Pharah
  • Reaper
  • Tracer?
  • Bastion
  • Junkrat?
  • Torb
  • DVa
  • Rein
  • Zarya?

11 total, 3 of them iffy.

I put question marks by the ones that are kind of iffy. Like a Rein could never have the reaction speed to put up a shield to block an incoming tracer bomb, but obviously a bad Tracer throwing a bomb on a Rein's shield makes it mostly worthless. Similarly, Junkrat's tire can roll right through it, but Rein can still wall off the damage. And of course, Zarya's Ult is pretty worthless if someone else doesn't attack from behind/above while the enemy Rein has his shield up in front.

Ults DVa can negate with her matrix:
  • McCreee
  • Pharah
  • Reaper
  • Tracer?
  • Bastion
  • Hanzo?
  • Mei?
  • Torb
  • Roadhog
  • Zarya?

10 total, 4 of them iffy.

DVa's iffy ones are more about being lucky and having defense matrix up at the right time, and not about reaction at all. We all know she can swallow a lot of Ults that have a projectile opening, which includes Tracer, Hanzo, Mei, and Zarya.

I suppose you are right that Rein can block more Ults, but it's close enough that I wouldn't really rank 1 over the other.

What's crazy is how FEW the other thanks can mitigate. Hell, Mei can neutralize more Ults than Roadhog or Winston can.

AbaFadi

Banned

• McCree
  • Pharah
  • Reaper
  • Tracer?
  • Bastion
  • Junkrat?
  • Torb
  • DVa
  • Rein
  • Zarya?

I put question marks by the ones that are kind of iffy. Like a Rein could never have the reaction speed to put up a shield to block an incoming tracer bomb, but obviously a bad Tracer throwing a bomb on a Rein's shield makes it mostly worthless. Similarly, Junkrat's tire can roll right through it, but Rein can still wall off the damage. And of course, Zarya's Ult is pretty worthless if someone else doesn't attack from behind/above while the enemy Rein has his shield up in front.

• McCreee
  • Pharah
  • Reaper
  • Tracer?
  • Bastion
  • Hanzo?
  • Mei?
  • Torb
  • Roadhog
  • Zarya?

DVa's iffy ones are more about being lucky and having defense matrix up at the right time, and not about reaction at all. We all know she can swallow a lot of Ults that have a projectile opening, which includes Tracer, Hanzo, Mei, and Zarya.

I suppose you are right that Rein can block more Ults, but it's close enough that I wouldn't really rank 1 over the other.

What's crazy is how FEW the other thanks can mitigate. Hell, Mei can neutralize more Ults than Roadhog or Winston can.

With enough time on D.Va you can predict when mei or zarya will ult. You have to watch their positioning. If zarya or mei are moving forward ahead of a rein shield for example, they're most likely going to ult. That's when I start holding matrix in front of them to block it. I actually block a good number of gravitons and blizzards. Hanzo is kind of iffy. There's enough time for D.Va to block hanzo's ult if he happens to ult in front of you since his animation is kinda long, but generally the hanzo won't be near a D.Va when he ults. Tracer is also hard. Tracer is more luck based I would say.

Jellie

• McCree
  • Pharah
  • Reaper
  • Tracer?
  • Bastion
  • Junkrat?
  • Torb
  • DVa
  • Rein
  • Zarya?

• McCreee
  • Pharah
  • Reaper
  • Tracer?
  • Bastion
  • Hanzo?
  • Mei?
  • Torb
  • Roadhog
  • Zarya?

Doesn't pharah do enough damage to go through Rein's shield and still kill? Albeit she'd probably die before that happens. Bastion can also rocket jump above the shield and shoot at people behind it.

Though you also need to consider how good some of the ults are they block. Earthshatter is probably the best ult in the game and he can block it while Dva can't

Doesn't pharah do enough damage to go through Rein's shield and still kill? Albeit she'd probably die before that happens. Bastion can also rocket jump above the shield and shoot at people behind it.

Though you also need to consider how good some of the ults are they block. Earthshatter is probably the best ult in the game and he can block it while Dva can't

It depends on how close the Pharah is and how concentrated she is on the shield. Bastion can only jump so high, and isn't going to get great angles unless he already has a height advantage. On Console this is also a non-issue, since Bastion jumps aren't really a thing.

Trying to list which Ults are better than others is entirely pointless. They all rely on context, and that context is in constant in flux the entire match. I would never call Earthshatter the best Ult in the game as it has too many flaws. Chances are if the community ever agreed on 1 Ult being the best in the game, that Ult would (and should) be nerfed.

Jellie

It depends on how close the Pharah is and how concentrated she is on the shield. Bastion can only jump so high, and isn't going to get great angles unless he already has a height advantage. On Console this is also a non-issue, since Bastion jumps aren't really a thing.

Trying to list which Ults are better than others is entirely pointless. They all rely on context, and that context is in constant in flux the entire match. I would never call Earthshatter the best Ult in the game as it has too many flaws. Chances are if the community ever agreed on 1 Ult being the best in the game, that Ult would (and should) be nerfed.

I used the Bastion rocket jump while playing the mystery heroes and was actually on lower ground when I jumped and it still worked fine. You never mentioned you were discussing based on console balance so can't really disregard it due to not being used on console. Plus I remember seeing it on PS4 when I used to play on there anyway even if it was more rare.

While its a bit buggy its certainly better than the vast majority of ults. There are some which are pretty bad like Widows. Earthshatter can win team fights by itself and makes the enemy have to run a Reinhardt to block it.

Just had my first toxic game. Got called a cunt, they spent the entire match berating me. Telling Mercy not to heal me, I'm better off to the team dead.

And apparently 5/6 of them reported me. Maybe Christmas has brought in a new wave of jerks. I'm probably going to move onto a more chill game if this keeps happening after Oasis releases.

This game is really bumming me out nowadays.

I usually play with a couple of friends, and we coordinate well and ensure that we have a well balanced team, all of us switching roles depending on what people want to play. You've played healer for three matches? Well then we just switch places so you can tank or go DPS for a while.

Problem is that they've all been pretty busy recently, so I thought that I could play solo to practice some of the heroes I want to get better with.

But time and time again, I end up on teams with hanzos, widows, mcrees, without any healers or tanks, meaning that whatever I'm trying to do, I'm gonna get slaughtered because I can't practice pharah and expect to carry a team that has no tanks or healers.

I have the most play time with Lucio, but I don't really like playing him, I only play him because otherwise we stand no chance in most games.

I wish there was a way to play the game in a mode that is less reliant on good team setups, just so you can practice what you want. Maybe a game with regenerating health after a while or something.

Mrgamer

Anyone wants to help me out in comp play? Currently gold at 2200.
My mains are lucio, zenyatta, soldier, tracer and dva in no particular order.
Just got the game last week and find it shocking the lack of comunication.

Psn v1br4t1ons.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
The thing to make D.Va humble is the range of her shots, there should be a huge fucking drop off
If you are close max damage, then every 3 meters or so -25% damage from those shots

She right now can clip away your health, bum rush in, tag you with a charge, small burst, get kill, DM, run back safely due boost being back up
If Mecha blows up she still has a 150 health char, that's very decent at tagging enemies to get her Mecha back ASAP

Its unreal, I play her, she really stalls out games

They need adjust her in a few ways but keep her top tank
Her Defense Matrix is OK
Her Charge Boost should be a little longer to call in again, add +2-+3 seconds, she sometime gets her boosts 2 times to say 1 Pharah rocket jump
Should use that charge ability variously, right now every 5 secs just fly across 1/4th the map

Her gun damage range should be nerfed, up close max, further away, you should have drop off
She never has to reload, yes she's stationery when shooting, but her stats almost outbalance anyone 1v1

If shes lost her Mecha it should be a huge penalty or fucking punishment
Lower health to 100 and it take 25% longer to call it again
So many fucking times I've seen or done the kamikaze D.Va ploy of losing Mecha and not worrying, cause I'll have it back up in no time

She's a tank more there to absorb damage to keep enemies at bay
Zarya, Rein, Winston, all have to keep a gap to keep there survivability up, D.Va alone is the one who can do both and still survive
Can you imagine a Rein charge, kill 1 or 2 enemies, and run back... No cause the charge ability is still on cool down and shield slows him down to getting backstabber

If one thing they should do us make the Mecha back more vulnerable, keep her from pushing up like crazy
Give her some Bastion when he goes into turret mode, how the head jets out and is prone to more damage
Something like a Mecha reactor, that if hit in the back does 10-15% more damage
That will at least humble her and adjust how aggressive a player can be

Jellie

The thing to make D.Va humble is the range of her shots, there should be a huge fucking drop off
If you are close max damage, then every 3 meters or so -25% damage from those shots

She right now can clip away your health, bum rush in, tag you with a charge, small burst, get kill, DM, run back safely due boost being back up
If Mecha blows up she still has a 150 health char, that's very decent at tagging enemies to get her Mecha back ASAP

Her Defense Matrix is OK
Her Charge Boost should be a little longer to call in again, add +2-+3 seconds, she sometime gets her boosts 2 times to say 1 Pharah rocket jump
Should use that charge ability variously, right now every 5 secs just fly across 1/4th the map

Her gun damage range should be nerfed, up close max, further away, you should have drop off
She never has to reload, yes she's stationery when shooting, but her stats almost outbalance anyone 1v1

So many fucking times I've seen or done the kamikaze D.Va ploy of losing Mecha and not worrying, cause I'll have it back up in no time

Zarya, Rein, Winston, all have to keep a gap to keep there survivability up, D.Va alone is the one who can do both and still survive
Can you imagine a Rein charge, kill 1 or 2 enemies, and run back... No cause the charge ability is still on cool down and shield slows him down to getting backstabber

If one thing they should do us make the Mecha back more vulnerable, keep her from pushing up like crazy
Give her some Bastion when he goes into turret mode, how the head jets out and is prone to more damage

She already does have huge drop off in damage over range though?

Anyone wants to help me out in comp play? Currently gold at 2200.
My mains are lucio, zenyatta, soldier, tracer and dva in no particular order.
Just got the game last week and find it shocking the lack of comunication.

Psn v1br4t1ons.

I'm going to add you shortly. Looking to get a ps4 group of gaffers for comp play.

caesar

Banned
Today was a rough day, went 1-5 on my main. None of the teams could really get it together, happens.

Smurf games went well though, 6-2 or something. Its almost 3400 now if anyone wants a carry let me know. :p

I've noticed an absurd amount of overwatch players use smurf accounts. It's really weird to me. A few of my friends are new to the game so I've been playing with them. Almost every game we get in has low level players like themselves however I know these people are way to good to be new as well. They play like pros.

Wtf is up with this? Are these people just trying to make themselves feel better by picking on new players?

A friend of mine made a second account because e wanted to secretly play the game without another group of friends knowing he was online since he didn't want to feel forced into playing competitive with them. Overwatch is cray

I see so many smurf accounts on the Xbox version, you check their profile and they've only ever played Overwatch lol.

The Christmas event ends on the 2nd? So I should buy everything I want on the 1st right just to be sure?

Yeah I don't pay attention to the overall QP stats because that has all the games where I sucked at the beginning and was still learning, so the ratio is off. Especially since all of Oversumo's stats are based on per death, and I died a LOT when I first started.

Example: It says I'm Bronze Zenyatta but Gold Mercy according to QP and I know that's just not true. I suuuuuhuhhuck as Mercy.
I'm just not gonna pay attention to it in general because it says a lot of my characters are golds or even lower :)

My best character is torb apparently lol

I see so many smurf accounts on the Xbox version, you check their profile and they've only ever played Overwatch lol.

The Christmas event ends on the 2nd? So I should buy everything I want on the 1st right just to be sure?

Yep, there's no confirmation that it'll end in the afternoon or evening on the 2nd, so get your loot on the 1st to be sure.

Also the ideas of smurfs in any competitive game baffle me. Like you're either trying to stomp on less experienced players to feel good, or you're dodging your current skill level for some reason. Makes no sense.

Her Defense Matrix is OK

She already has a gigantic damage drop off. -25% every 3 meters is absurd.

rulerk1

The amount of times I've been yelled at for not healing anti healed teammates is pathetic. I guess I'll just waste ammo on them sigh

Oh wait does oversumo compare stats to all platforms or just the selected one? Would be pretty silly for some stats if I was going against pc players

nan0

She has a huge spread, and everything behind medium range can be out-healed by a nearby Lucio.
Agree at her human form nerf though, 100 HP should be fine. I'd also introduce a damage falloff for her ult, even if your toes are sticking out behind a corner you are insta-killed.

All a 100 hp naked d.VA would do is make it so she has to hide until she gets her meka back and that wouldn't be any fun. I'd be open to changes to her weapon or meka form tho

rulerk1

Ya, it happens often enough I figure most people just tunnel vision right into their crosshairs 100% of the time.
But it's so obvious. They can clearly see something is wrong with them or else their screen wouldn't light up like that. Blizzard should make some changes to that intro tutorial and add some actually helpful stuff in it

GraveRobberX

Sometime as I play Pharah, I don't see the damage drop off
Even if D.Va jumps up towards me and falls down and I'm falling back, the range still gets me

I just know D.Va's counter is either another D.Va or Zenyatta but needs to be protected at all cost to put Discord orb on her

Sometime as I play Pharah, I don't see the damage drop off
Even if D.Va jumps up towards me and falls down and I'm falling back, the range still gets me

I just know D.Va's counter is either another D.Va or Zenyatta but needs to be protected at all cost to put Discord orb on her
Mei is a good D.VA counter.

Nimby

Banned
Some chinese teams using Sym past the 1st point. eStar went triple support (Sym, Lucio, Ana) two DPS (Genji, Tracer), 1 tank (D.Va) and held second point Hanamura. They were up against 2/2/2. I mean, I don't know much about the Chinese scene to say if that's good or not lol

I've noticed an absurd amount of overwatch players use smurf accounts. It's really weird to me. A few of my friends are new to the game so I've been playing with them. Almost every game we get in has low level players like themselves however I know these people are way to good to be new as well. They play like pros.

Wtf is up with this? Are these people just trying to make themselves feel better by picking on new players?

A friend of mine made a second account because e wanted to secretly play the game without another group of friends knowing he was online since he didn't want to feel forced into playing competitive with them. Overwatch is cray

I don't do this, but I can kind of understand it.

Season 3 brought us the season where you placed where you belong.

For a lot of people this meant there was no climb. I ended last season at 3750 and started this season at 3800. It was a hell of a climb to get to 3750, and then I had 3800 sort of handed to me. After which it feels like the only way to go is down. Note that I ended in the Top 500 as well, so the odds of my actually climbing anywhere is pretty small.

Anyway, climbing or ranking up in a competitive game is a great feeling. You feel like you're progressing, getting better, and generally having more fun.

I understand why Blizzard did what they did, and I don't necessarily disagree with it, but I think the current placement formula has a major flaw, and that is that it sucks the fun out of the climb.

GraveRobberX

All a 100 hp naked d.VA would do is make it so she has to hide until she gets her meka back and that wouldn't be any fun. I'd be open to changes to her weapon or meka form tho

Well that's on them then, give the enemy team a 1 man advantage
Also I stated that her Mecha call back would be hindered by a 25% delay
So if you hide, wait awhile
If your in there fighting get your Mecha back

No other hero has this much leeway
600 + 150 Health, Cool down that are almost instant, no punishment for being to aggressive

Every other Hero has abilities that either are Cool down timer hampered or if used are at a huge disadvantage for short bursts
With D.Va I feel there is none, each ability covers the other and she has a fail safe if Mecha gets destroyed

Road misses a hook, well, they are out of luck for roughly 10 sec to hook again
Cause they have yo get it back and adjust to Hook again
Soldier if he heals is almost stationary within area, no mobility
Tracer without Rewind is DOA
etc.

She stand out the most in that she combos off her abilities so frequently, that its insane that you have to completely kill the Hero before getting to the objective, cause D.Va herself to be killed is a goddamn mini objective

Top Bottom