• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

antitrop

I need to use my Ana grenades for damage/anti-heal more often. I use them almost exclusively for burst healing, which is why my healing stat is 99th percentile, but my damage is 40th percentile.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The worst problem with playing competitive is the carry mentality, which to me, is probably the worst thing that has infected and spread around the Overwatch community. This assumption that you have to carry your team to victory. That you should not move and complement your team of randos, you should just stick to McCree or 76 or Genji or whoever and carry.

Because the issue is obvious to everyone yet everyone thinks they're the exception. Because that is the issue. Everyone thinks that they are carrying. Everyone instalocks their DPS hero of choice because they think that they're carrying. Everyone spends the most time on a 'carryable' hero because they think that they are carrying. This feeds the ego. This is why you see so many of those same players that are 'carrying' rush into 1vs6 situations or refuse to switch. Because they are 'carrying.'

If you're the God Widow and get all these picks but your team still can't take the point? Time to switch. Even if you are 'carrying', in the end, nothing matters except your team winning. And if they still can't take the point? You're not carrying even with 8:1 KDR because the enemy team won and your team can't capitalize which your thought shouldn't be the selfish 'trash team' your thought should be 'how do i adjust to complement this team to encourage this team to push further' I don't even mean like barking orders. I speed boost with Lucio when a Rein goes down so we can rush point A and have 6 vs 5 because that's the better position for us. Or our Rein makes that move to the point.

It just annoys me to no end how often people want to talk about carrying and how popular it is. If you're a new fan of the game and you look on Reddit or the forums or a lot of the streamers, that's the mentality. And it's encouraged and upvoted. It breeds contempt to new players and established ones. I could play the Heavy in TF2 extremely well and top charts and get 5+ dominations every match but my mentality was never 'I'm carrying' it's just 'I'm doing well' I never thought that my teams not pulling their weight or that I'm the only one making this happen.

DeviantBoi

Any place that I can get Overwatch digitally for the PS4 for $30-$35?

I didn't think I was gonna have money to get it so I didn't pick it up when it was on sale on PSN and Amazon.

Now that I have the money, it's no longer on sale.

I would like to get it so I can still take advantage of the free holiday chests.

Am I SOL?

Jellie

I need to use my Ana grenades for damage/anti-heal more often. I use them almost exclusively for burst healing, which is why my healing stat is 99th percentile, but my damage is 40th percentile.
Decided to check mine and it's 96th/65th percentile for me so pretty similar. You won't be able to get high in both since she has to do one or the other. Zen/Lucio can damage and heal at the same time but she can't except for when your grenade hits multiple people. Ana's with 99th percentile damage probably rarely heal so I wouldn't get worried about it.

My healing and damage per comp game used to be the same (6k) but after posting gameplay here I got told to heal more by somebody (might have been you?) and it's worked out well for me. Now I got 5.3k damage and 9.8k heals which is better for a support to have than 6k/6k.
The worst problem with playing competitive is the carry mentality, which to me, is probably the worst thing that has infected and spread around the Overwatch community. This assumption that you have to carry your team to victory. That you should not move and complement your team of randos, you should just stick to McCree or 76 or Genji or whoever and carry.

Because the issue is obvious to everyone yet everyone thinks they're the exception. Because that is the issue. Everyone thinks that they are carrying. Everyone instalocks their DPS hero of choice because they think that they're carrying. Everyone spends the most time on a 'carryable' hero because they think that they are carrying. This feeds the ego. This is why you see so many of those same players that are 'carrying' rush into 1vs6 situations or refuse to switch. Because they are 'carrying.'

If you're the God Widow and get all these picks but your team still can't take the point? Time to switch. Even if you are 'carrying', in the end, nothing matters except your team winning. And if they still can't take the point? You're not carrying even with 8:1 KDR because the enemy team won and your team can't capitalize which your thought shouldn't be the selfish 'trash team' your thought should be 'how do i adjust to complement this team to encourage this team to push further' I don't even mean like barking orders. I speed boost with Lucio when a Rein goes down so we can rush point A and have 6 vs 5 because that's the better position for us. Or our Rein makes that move to the point.

It just annoys me to no end how often people want to talk about carrying and how popular it is. If you're a new fan of the game and you look on Reddit or the forums or a lot of the streamers, that's the mentality. And it's encouraged and upvoted. It breeds contempt to new players and established ones. I could play the Heavy in TF2 extremely well and top charts and get 5+ dominations every match but my mentality was never 'I'm carrying' it's just 'I'm doing well' I never thought that my teams not pulling their weight or that I'm the only one making this happen.
Yeah sometimes you see in match chat "gg couldn't carry these nubs" or varients. Or tanks complaining about DPS etc.

antitrop

Decided to check mine and it's 96th/65th percentile for me so pretty similar. You won't be able to get high in both since she has to do one or the other. Zen/Lucio can damage and heal at the same time but she can't except for when your grenade hits multiple people. Ana's with 99th percentile damage probably rarely heal so I wouldn't get worried about it.
It doesn't help that my weapon accuracy is 8%. I just can't get a good feel for the amount of lead you need on an enemy target with her. I've got over 20 hours on Ana and I still can't hit enemies without the scope.

Nimby

Banned
please no. I don't want Bastion to be anywhere close to viable in comp.

Bastion is pretty weak where you would actually consider using him though. Like, Junkrat has maps where using him is okay, the only place where it seems fine for Bastion is Route 66 on attack. They had those Nepal strats, but we never see those anymore.

Jellie

It doesn't help that my weapon accuracy is 8%. I just can't get a good feel for the amount of lead you need on an enemy target with her. I've got over 20 hours on Ana and I still can't hit enemies without the scope.

Have you got many hours on other projecetile heroes? I had 100+ on Lucio when I was on PS4 which helped with leading the shots and I got 50 on Ana for PC now.

Moving with the payload I see.

antitrop

Have you got many hours on other projecetile heroes? I had 100+ on Lucio when I was on PS4 which helped with leading the shots and I got 50 on Ana for PC now.

Well over 100 hours with Zen and I do very well with him. I also have very good accuracy with Mei's right-clicks.

I have better sleep dart accuracy than I do weapon accuracy. The dart is easy to see, so I can easily gauge how close I was if I miss for future adjustments, but it's almost impossible to see the left clicks, so it's hard for me to make the adjustments and improve.

Jellie

Well over 100 hours with Zen and I do very well with him. I also have very good accuracy with Mei's right-clicks.

I have better sleep dart accuracy than I do weapon accuracy. The dart is easy to see, so I can easily gauge how close I was if I miss for future adjustments, but it's almost impossible to see the left clicks, so it's hard for me to make the adjustments and improve.

Whats your accuracy with Zen? Mines 43% but I just spam at chokes with him so it might be easier to aim with Zen than Ana?

Maybe you are too far with Ana so its harder to hit the non-scoped shots but easy to hit the scoped? Maybe go to the practice range and hit from different angles and distances?

How do you find the dart accuracy? That would be a really interesting stat.

antitrop

Whats your accuracy with Zen? Mines 43% but I just spam at chokes with him so it might be easier to aim with Zen than Ana?
32%, which is still 96th percentile, so 43% is pretty shit-hot.

7% Critical, which needs improvement.

How do you find the dart accuracy? That would be a really interesting stat.
You can't. I just kind of track it in my head.

It would be a nice stat to have, for sure.

Jellie

32%, which is still 96th percentile, so 43% is pretty shit-hot.

7% Critical, which needs improvement.

You can't. I just kind of track it in my head.

It would be a nice stat to have, for sure.

Eh small sample size now that I looked at it (1 game). Was probably just shooting at tanks all game. QP accuracy is 32% with 8% crits so pretty much identical.

Wish I could do that but I only remember my darts I land and not the ones I miss.

Love it. One guy picks Torbjorn, so two people on the team immediately decide to throw and pick Widow/Hanzo because they're smurf accounts anyway. Past 2 days of comp have been pure cancer. Guess it's what I get for playing around NYE? idk man. Sorry if I bitch a lot but goddamn I need to vent about this shit. It's unreal how many absolutely terrible experiences I'm having these days.

NeoRaider

It looks like i will have to buy Nutcracker Zenyatta skin... :/
My luck for this even was so bad, after more than 50 boxes i only got 2 Legendary skins (Tracer and Torb). I got few more but they were regular ones.

Do we know when exactly is Winter Wonderland ending on January 2nd?

Jellie

It looks like i will have to buy Nutcracker Zenyatta skin... :/
My luck for this even was so bad, after more than 50 boxes i only got 2 Legendary skins (Tracer and Torb). I got few more but they were regular ones.

Do we know when exactly is Winter Winderland ending on January 2nd?

I decided to just buy it too. Only winter legendaries I got was Tracer and Winston. Everything else was random ones I never play. I think 6PM GMT but every event has ended one hour earlier than scheduled so buy earlier to be sure.

ohkay

Isn't Ana's weapon accuracy stat pretty wonky to begin with? I think it counts your healing shots as misses or something weird

I kinda blow at Pharah

first game after buying Frostbite Pharah?
xRnnxII.jpg

pM7y5FX.jpg

enemy team had a soldier who focused on me hard too, that was like 4 of my deaths

Zakalwe

Banned
It feels like Zen's damage output is quite viable, I don't expect to hit kill streaks too often but I'd imagine his damage is useful in ranked right?

So far my kills are higher with him than I expected, but I'm well aware I'm at the start (lvl 9) and don't expect them to remain so high.

Just curious how others who play him often in ranked feel about his damage.

antitrop

It feels like Zen's damage output is quite viable, I don't expect to hit kill streaks too often but I'd imagine his damage is useful in ranked right?

So far my kills are higher with him than I expected, but I'm well aware I'm at the start (lvl 9) and don't expect them to remain so high.

Bronze or Silver elims as Zen isn't unusual. He's a beast. He racks up assists like no other and usually gets a shot or two in for an elim, as well.

I had a 5 Gold medal Zen victory in competitive last season.

some people are better dps as zen than the dps characters

ohkay

Ya, but 8% is bad even still. I think good is like 15%.
Well if your damage stat is low, then it would make sense that your weapon accuracy is also low since those healing shots that you're taking will decrease it. I think scoped accuracy and unscoped accuracy would be better stats to look at, but too bad overbuff doesn't track those

edit: oops overbuff does track scoped

Bronze or Silver elims as Zen isn't unusual. He's a beast. He racks up assists like no other and usually gets a shot or two in for an elim, as well.

I had a 5 Gold medal Zen victory in competitive last season.

What card did you get in the end?

I had two games with 4 gold/1 silver and got the defensive assists and transcendence cards lol

antitrop

Well if your damage stat is low, then it would make sense that your weapon accuracy is also low since those healing shots that you're taking will decrease it. I think scoped accuracy and unscoped accuracy would be better stats to look at, but too bad overbuff doesn't track those
Overbuff does track scoped accuracy, 77%. It doesn't track unscoped, but just from pressing Tab a lot I know that is usually in the 60s.

Unscoped accuracy isn't really a useful stat, though, since it can easily be padded by shooting full health teammates. If it tracked the percentage of shots that actually heal people, that would be more useful.

What card did you get in the end?

I had two games with 4 gold/1 silver and got the defensive assists and transcendence cards lol
Got the 5 Gold card. It was a very short game with bad team comps after I dropped to 2300 last season. I barely even had to use Transcendence. It was one of those weird games where you're like "Is half of each team AFK?".

Zakalwe

Banned

I had a 5 Gold medal Zen game in competitive last season.

Good to hear! I mean, I can already feel he's effective.

His healing mechanic is insanely addictive, and his projectiles feel great. I was hoping my favourite character would be worth it for that mode, I can see myself putting quite a few hours into him.

Also finding Tracer very fun. I don't usually enjoy scout types but her movement powers are much easier for me than, say, TF2's scout. I can see a good Tracer can be a nuisance.

What I love most about this game so far is it's ability to make every class feel appealing. I usually ignore tank classes for example, but I'm having a blast with them because the characters are so well done and are mostly really interesting to play.

Damn, this game.

Jellie

His healing mechanic is insanely addictive, and his projectiles feel great. I was hoping my favourite character would be worth it for that mode, I can see myself putting quite a few hours into him.

Also finding Tracer very fun. I don't usually enjoy scout types but her movement powers are much easier for me than, say, TF2's scout. I can see a good Tracer can be a nuisance.

What I love most about this game so far is it's ability to make every class feel appealing. I usually ignore tank classes for example, but I'm having a blast with them because the characters are so well done and are mostly really interesting to play.

Damn, this game.
You are really unfortunate that you missed the Zen meta when his discord did 50% damage buff instead of the current 30%.
Posted this the other day when talking about favourite metas but its too good not to post again anyway.

rulerk1

playing Winter mystery for the first time since the christmas break and wow is it something, Out of all the maps to choose from Hanamura just had to be one. Ppl on attack are so afraid to do anything. We killed four of them but five of my teammates wouldnt go in they were just shooting at....i dont even know but no one was there

antitrop

Zen is my favorite character, too. I love throwing out Orbs. I love seeing Assists pop up one after the other. I love saving my team from a wipe with Transcendence. I love his voice lines. I love his skins. I love the animation of his hands when you shoot the primary fire.

Just such a well designed character and a ton of fun to play.

As a Season 1 Roadhog main, though, fuck 50% Discord Orb. I hated Zen back then. There was a short period where his Discord was buffed to a 50% damage bonus (instead of the 30% it is now and was before that), and you would just melt when hit with it. It was ridiculous.

I should have played him when he was OP, but I didn't pick him up until season 2.

Nimby

Banned
I'm really starting to turn sour on the Symmetra rework. Not that it's too good, it doesn't do enough to fix the issue Blizzard had with her in the first place. The character still feels very much designed to do what she currently does, and her new ultimate only makes her better at it. While I may think she is good on second point 2CP, or certain payload portions for defense, no one else apparently thinks that and maybe I'm just being too optimistic.

Her barrier just feels like a random utility right now, however it is beneficial as a Reinhardt shield protector much like Zarya bubbles or Defense Matrix. It isn't very useful besides that though, doesn't cover a lot of area either. Turrets are self-explanatory, it will always favor defense. Teleporter is actually useful (somewhat) on attacking maps, more than shield gen, makes reinforcing the point much easier but you gotta justify running her on attack and replacing Lucio or another DPS/tank. Not to mention this rework makes her borderline OP in first point, you may think otherwise, just know that randoms don't really play around Symmetra in their team very well and don't protect you like they would say Ana or Lucio. If you form a solid defense with shield gen trapped in some nook close by, it's really hard to dismantle.

I'm personally fine with her being not being so attack oriented, just wish we could get a much larger period of time I don't have to Lucio. I like the idea that they should balance Sym/Lucio to be defense oriented/offense oriented and you used both pretty much all the time in those instances along with a main healer, with room to vary up comps and run Sym on attack or Lucio on defense in some situations.

I guess I can play Sym all I want to in quickplay if she just falls into the old habit or becomes the hated pick she was before.

I played Tracer on Ligang for old times sake. Apparently she is still awesome in the right kind of game. I went 38-3 and we slaughtered them 3-0. They didn't seem to know how to deal with me. I think people forgot how to hit anything that's not a giant tank.

Zakalwe

Banned
Zen is my favorite character, too. I love throwing out Orbs. I love seeing Assists pop up one after the other. I love saving my team from a wipe with Transcendence. I love his voice lines. I love his skins. I love the animation of his hands when you shoot the primary fire.

Just such a well designed character and a ton of fun to play.

As a Season 1 Roadhog main, though, fuck 50% Discord Orb. I hated Zen back then. There was a short period where his Discord was buffed to a 50% damage bonus (instead of the 30% it is now and was before that), and you would just melt when hit with it. It was ridiculous.

I should have played him when he was OP, but I didn't pick him up until season 2.

I get the gushing for sure. The general mood of the character is just so damn cool. I even bought a bunch of boxes just to unlock gear for him.

His animations, poses, and voice work are just great.

Got the 5 Gold card. It was a very short game with bad team comps after I dropped to 2300 last season. I barely even had to use Transcendence. It was one of those weird games where you're like "Is half of each team AFK?".

Yeah sometimes you wonder what's happening lol

In my cases the enemy team had a tank heavy comp and they basically ignored me during the whole game (thanks to my team), I was just in the backlines doing damage/kills. But if they had a decent Tracer/Genji that would never happen.

spootime

DVA is single handedly making me want to quit playing this game. There is no counter to dva. Theres never a situation in which youd rather have another hero other than dva. She can counter half the ults in a the game with a normal ability that has no cooldown. What the fuck is this game.

Zakalwe

Banned
DVA is single handedly making me want to quit playing this game. There is no counter to dva. Theres never a situation in which youd rather have another hero other than dva. She can counter half the ults in a the game with a normal ability that has no cooldown. What the fuck is this game.

I like her, she's a fun target.

The character still feels very much designed to do what she currently does, and her new ultimate only makes her better at it. While I may think she is good on second point 2CP, or certain payload portions for defense, no one else apparently thinks that and maybe I'm just being too optimistic.

She wasn't good at second point 2CP or payload though.
The only place you saw Symmetra used (seriously) was first point defense on 2CP/Hybrid maps. And even then she was simply too much of a liability to bring because she was so one-note and had to take the place of a character who could do/have done so much more in her place. Furthermore, if she died even once before getting up her teleporter, you might as well switched off of her.

Obviously, the way her kit is designed she's a character much more focused on the defense side, and I don't think Blizzard ever meant her to be a fantastic pick in every single situation. After all, the game is supposed to be about switching characters to adjust to changing situations.
However, she is at least not completely dead weight on attack now, and she can actually get picked in more than just first point defense without bringing down the team.

xaosslug

just had a match on Eichenwalde w/ a Torb main that was mad nobody would run Rein, so they went Sombra, would say "thank you" and then throw themselves over the edge repeatedly.

the player base of this fucking game, I swear. -__-

EDIT: LOLs, just got the same guy on the enemy team (this time he ran S76) and we beat them 3-0, Nepal... #poeticjustice

just had a match on Eichenwalde w/ a Torb main that was mad nobody would run Rein, so they went Sombra, would say "thank you" and then throw themselves over the edge repeatedly.

the player base of this fucking game, I swear. -__-

EDIT: LOLs, just got the same guy on the enemy team (this time he ran S76) and we beat them 3-0, Nepal... #poeticjustice
Lmfao

Yeah, no. I'm a big time DVa player, I was like 45W-20L with her in season 2 at diamond level back when it meant something, I now get 36 elims/20k dmg on average with her, etc, so I'm well aware that she can be what you describe. But Zarya and Mei still counter her hard. Others can be problematic, if you're good enough. She might be in the "Lucio zone" though, as in, there's no such thing as truly bad DVa. There's no such thing as a truly bad Lucio. An okay Lucio player, an okay DVa player, is already an asset. An okay DPS is a liability.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'm really starting to turn sour on the Symmetra rework. Not that it's too good, it doesn't do enough to fix the issue Blizzard had with her in the first place. The character still feels very much designed to do what she currently does, and her new ultimate only makes her better at it. While I may think she is good on second point 2CP, or certain payload portions for defense, no one else apparently thinks that and maybe I'm just being too optimistic.

Her barrier just feels like a random utility right now, however it is beneficial as a Reinhardt shield protector much like Zarya bubbles or Defense Matrix. It isn't very useful besides that though, doesn't cover a lot of area either. Turrets are self-explanatory, it will always favor defense. Teleporter is actually useful (somewhat) on attacking maps, more than shield gen, makes reinforcing the point much easier but you gotta justify running her on attack and replacing Lucio or another DPS/tank. Not to mention this rework makes her borderline OP in first point, you may think otherwise, just know that randoms don't really play around Symmetra in their team very well and don't protect you like they would say Ana or Lucio. If you form a solid defense with shield gen trapped in some nook close by, it's really hard to dismantle.

I'm personally fine with her being not being so attack oriented, just wish we could get a much larger period of time I don't have to Lucio. I like the idea that they should balance Sym/Lucio to be defense oriented/offense oriented and you used both pretty much all the time in those instances along with a main healer, with room to vary up comps and run Sym on attack or Lucio on defense in some situations.

I guess I can play Sym all I want to in quickplay if she just falls into the old habit or becomes the hated pick she was before.

I do like that I can finally play her somewhat regularly again without feeling too guilty about it.

Top Bottom