• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

spootime

Yeah, no. I'm a big time DVa player, I was like 45W-20L with her in season 2 at diamond level back when it meant something, I now get 36 elims/20k dmg on average with her, etc, so I'm well aware that she can be what you describe. But Zarya and Mei still counter her hard. Others can be problematic, if you're good enough. She might be in the "Lucio zone" though, as in, there's no such thing as truly bad DVa. There's no such thing as a truly bad Lucio. An okay Lucio player, an okay DVa player, is already an asset. An okay DPS is a liability.

They dont counter her hard, they're just capable of killing her.

Yeah, no. I'm a big time DVa player, I was like 45W-20L with her in season 2 at diamond level back when it meant something, I now get 36 elims/20k dmg on average with her, etc, so I'm well aware that she can be what you describe. But Zarya and Mei still counter her hard. Others can be problematic, if you're good enough. She might be in the "Lucio zone" though, as in, there's no such thing as truly bad DVa. There's no such thing as a truly bad Lucio. An okay Lucio player, an okay DVa player, is already an asset. An okay DPS is a liability.

As a D.Va main (thought at a lower skill level) I agree. Zarya can still wreck her pretty quickly. Mei is less of a problem one on one even if she freezes her but if Mei has allies around D.Va is done for.

Anne

Mei and Zarya don't counter D.Va at all lol

Anybody thinking D.Va isn't broke right now is on something foolish. That character is almost in the required tier and is the definition of a fun killer.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah I used to love DVa but somewhere along the line I just find her mechanics too... restrictive on the overall game.

Like ana is overpowered but you can really fuck up as ana. Rein is super crucial but there are a lot of interesting limitations and interactions he brings with his game that enables a lot of interesting plays. There are a lot of interesting way mei could change the landscape of the battlefield and also landing right clicks is still super satisfying.

AbaFadi

Banned
Mei and Zarya don't counter D.Va at all lol

Anybody thinking D.Va isn't broke right now is on something foolish. That character is almost in the required tier and is the definition of a fun killer.

The best counter for D.Va would probably be Roadhog at this point. Zarya doesn't hard counter her anymore

Fraeon

No limits with 6 x Sym is hilarious especially on defense.

The opposing team couldn't even get out of their base and when they did, everyone had +450 shield.

When the enemy mei tries so hard to isolate you as a rein that you can begin to predict when the icewalls come up and when they jump out of ice block. Just positioning for the icewall bait usually ended up screwing up the enemy team too. It's one thing to do ice walls to block some shots, and others to isolate. but when EVERY SINGLE ICEWALL WAS AT THE REIN only an idiot wouldn't pick up on that.

So good getting mei pins the very moment they get out of their little icecube.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
There's so many heroes in the game that I worry just run too similar to each other and fill each others roles too much that I just see it being an issue in the long run every time they buff one over the other. We already saw it with McCree when Blizzard struggled with what they wanted McCree's identity to be with things like removing his damage falloff and now with buffing 76. We saw it with DVa and Winston where people felt there was no reason to play DVa over Winston and now its the opposite. I think there's some of that between Mercy and Ana as well.

They're not carbon copies of each others, obviously. But they fill similar roles and when one's stronger than the other the niches don't matter as much.

Antiwhippy

Ugh, I'm seriously regretting the torb rework because they've done enough to make people think that picking him is a good idea but not enough to make him not garbage.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I hate the passive scrap regeneration change. It just feels like a band-aid or a paper clip and not an actual adjustment. I guess it bothers me the most because to me the Engineer was always the most useful, versatile, unique class in TF2 once you got past the people who turtled with him and Torbjorn is nothing like that. He's basically an underpowered mini-sentry Engineer who doesn't build dispensers or teleporters but uses his shotgun more. Even letting us give armor to the turret would have been a more interesting change.

which is the least interesting aspect of the engineer.

Ugh, I'm seriously regretting the torb rework because they've done enough to make people think that picking him is a good idea but not enough to make him not garbage.
I've actually had great success the two times I've played him in comp.

Anubis defense. They haven't yet captured the second point.

Anne

Some of you dva haters are on crack. She isnt the best char in the game. Also, Zarya is totally a hard counter to her. Thats quite clear as day.

Nah. it's been fairly well established now that Zarya doesn't counter D.Va anymore. The bonus health and the fact beam properly interacts with armor now is enough to kill that notion. D.Va may not be the best char in the game (she's not Ana, Rein, or Lucio), but that doesn't mean she isn't mad broke and a huge problem.

To the above stuff, McCree/Soldier are around the same power level and distinctly swappable depending on comps. So they can make similar heroes in the same niche pickable within the same metagame. I personally feel Winston/D.Va could be in a similar state, but it's just D.Va is always in this weird flub of either too bad or too good.

Snagret

Engineer was one of my favorite classes from TF2, but I almost never have any success with Torb. It's so easy to damage his turret faster than he can repair it and his turret really only does enough damage to kill unsuspecting targets who dive too far. A good torb turret can dish out a lot of damage if placed in view of a chaotic team fight, but I feel like a lot of the maps don't necessarily lend themselves super well to this kind of placement, which leads to a lot people just throwing his turret down in the middle of the road.

That said, an attack torb turret/bastion on top of the payload protected by a Rein can be hilarious and way too often the opposing team can't coordinate well enough to defend against it.

KyleCross

Is anyone still helping out with the Heroes of the Storm challenge? Just realized there's only two days left to get Oni Genji and I have no idea how to play HotS. If anyone can help me it'd be greatly appreciated.

Two Words

Did Blizzard take Hollywood out of the QP rotation? I've been wanting to play it for days to try a strat and I am never getting it. And I've put tons of hours in these past few days.

antitrop

Just watched a large part of SkyLine's 10 hour stream to Grandmasters. He did VOD reviews and played some Osu in between, it was a good stream.

I can't decide who I hate most between McCree and Junkrat on console (the average player), because lately it seems that McCree is even more useless. They just have to stay with their team and hit those shots, why are they always flanking even when it's not high noon?

maomaoIYP

1st comp match in a week, nepal.
Asshat picks Reinhardt and spends the entire match swinging the axe in the spawn.
Why do I even bother. This is diamond tier even.

edit: 2nd match, up against a 5 stack of all masters, 500 SR difference. *sigh*

ricelord

15817626_1309602329114329_2095922716_o.jpg

after over 2 weeks of being one win away and just was on a losing streak i somehow finally hit grandmaster. i feel real good right now. i guess the next step is to hit top 500.

after over 2 weeks of being one win away and just was on a losing streak i somehow finally hit grandmaster. i feel real good right now. i guess the next step is to hit top 500.

Congrats, you almost convinced me to go play Torb in comp but then I noticed it was QP stats.

i had a few games where we had a torb and other games where we had a widowmaker and still won.

From my experience Torb can work, can't say the same about widow unfortunately. I'd rather not have any of them on my team though, with the exception of Torb on defense if the other team has flankers like Tracer/Genji constantly harassing the healers and no one can deal with them.

Antiwhippy

From my experience Torb can work, can't say the same about widow unfortunately. I'd rather not have any of them on my team though, with the exception of Torb on defense if the other team has flankers like Tracer/Genji constantly harassing the healers and no one can deal with them.

I find that it is every predicated on how coordinated the enemy team is.

Like if everyone is trickling in he's ok, but even a low mid level coordination such as going in together and he gets fucking rolled so hard.

Mupod

the difference between going into competitive with 3 and solo queue is pretty nuts. I just killed a team so hard their Hanzo left.

I've gotten 3 christmas Mei and 2 yeti Winstons, characters I never play. I guess I should buy Nutyatta before it's too late, at least I'm up to almost 6000 glods now.

edit: as for offensive Torb we had a really good one earlier. Granted we're in dumpster 2100 rating right now but we easily won route 66 with him. Constantly moved his turret around and didn't just leave it on the payload.

I find that it is every predicated on how coordinated the enemy team is.

Like if everyone is trickling in he's ok, but even a low mid level coordination such as going in together and he gets fucking rolled so hard.

It's all about where you put the turret.

Not really

What you said is the truth. The way I like to play him is putting a turret in a position where it can't be destroyed by the choke point and if the enemy team can get past it they will have the turret firing behind their backs serving as a distraction while we are facing them. You can still do a much better job with other characters though.

It's all about where you put the turret.

Not really

What you said is the truth. The way I like to play him is putting a turret in a position where it can't be destroyed by the choke point and if the enemy team can get past it they will have the turret firing behind their backs serving as a distraction while we are facing them. You can still do a much better job with other characters though.

I mean, it's the same deal as with fighting games, people will play a character they like regardless of how good/bad they actually are. I know I didn't play a ton of Mei because she was a popular pick.

It's also why I like to torture myself by playing Laura and Lucina.

I mean, it's the same deal as with fighting games, people will play a character they like regardless of how good/bad they actually are. I know I didn't play a ton of Mei because she was a popular pick.

It's also why I like to torture myself by playing Laura and Lucina.

If they're not trolling it's fine by me. When I see a strange pick I always check the player profile. If they pick widow without having any experience with her I know they're up to no good.

I don't think Roadhog loses to D.Va 1vs1, two close range shots can basically destroy her mech. If you can hook her you have a free one, then just wait for her to waste the DM. But there's always someone shooting/healing so 1vs1 with such big targets is kinda hard to happen.

I don't think Roadhog loses to D.Va 1vs1, two close range shots can basically destroy her mech. If you can hook her you have a free one, then just wait for her to waste the DM. But there's always someone shooting/healing so 1vs1 with such big targets is kinda hard to happen.
I think it depends on how the D.va paces the DM, and at what rate the Roadhog fires shots. If a roadhog is predictable and shoots as fast as possible, the D.Va could potentially just tap the DM at the same time as the Hog's shots, while shooting in between.

Blizzard

Banned
I've loved D.Va and played her since the game's launch, basically. I'm happy she's better now, but I'm sad so many people complain about her since I fear that will result in Blizzard overnerfing her in reaction.

I've loved D.Va and played her since the game's launch, basically. I'm happy she's better now, but I'm sad so many people complain about her since I fear that will result in Blizzard overnerfing her in reaction.

Don't worry, they'll just buff her right after anyway.

I think it depends on how the D.va paces the DM, and at what rate the Roadhog fires shots. If a roadhog is predictable and shoots as fast as possible, the D.Va could potentially just tap the DM at the same time as the Hog's shots, while shooting in between.

Roadhog just has to wait for her to drop her DM. When she does, she has to wait 1s before she can activate it again. Her best chance is to boost away as quickly she can.

Why are you talking in third person?

But yeah I'm a huge D.Va fan and liked using her in the Beta as well. I hope whatever nerfs they throw won't be too bad. She has a lot of health, so perhaps they'll lower it a bit

Roadhog just has to wait for her to drop her DM. When she does, she has to wait 1s before she can activate it again. Her best chance is to boost away as quickly she can.

Oh yeah that's right. I guess Hog would have the advantage, and the best thing would be for D.Va to escape, so most of the time there wouldn't be a full 1v1 anyway

Antiwhippy

Then stop overnerfing her, blizzard.

Top Bottom