• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Kysen

Its crazy how fast peoples perceptions change per patch. Sym is now a legit pick. I haven't seen a single game since the patch where someone complained that she was picked. Even seeing way more torb played as well.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Its crazy how fast peoples perceptions change per patch. Sym is now a legit pick. I haven't seen a single game since the patch where someone complained that she was picked. Even seeing way more torb played as well.

Because shield generator is pretty legit.

I still wouldn't want her for anything past static defenses. These attack syms on koth are driving me crazy.

Grief.exe

Do Overbuff, Master Overwatch, and other trackers have their competitive stats reset every season?

I'm curious to see my improvements from season to season.

Lucio's music stops playing before the grooving emote ends and it makes the last few seconds kind of awkward

This can be fixed by crossfading right before you activate the emote but still

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Bought 11 boxes and the only legendary I got was Goth Zarya and the only epic that wasn't a duplicate was ticking Zenyatta emote.

What a waste. At least I've got enough money to buy either Yeti or Nutcracker if I don't get one in a box until January 2nd. Not sure which one is more worth it though. I play Zenyatta more, but at least Yeti doesn't look TOO christmas when its anything but December.

jediyoshi

Wait WHAT

I would love that just cause it sounds cool but I need to the cues for when people are using ults

In the PC version*

sw4J7cw.png

I think the rest of the sound effects that play during an ult are recognizable enough you could tell without the voices entirely

Did anyone here play enough of the beta to try the old competitive system? I thought it was a lot better since all wins were weighted equally, and it took all of the guesswork out of how much you moved based on wins and losses. I guess most folks hated it since they scrapped it though. Was in the topic about ranked splitting up friends and thought to ask it here.

Players will start at Challenger 1 with 0 points
Players will earn 20 points for a victory
Players will lose 20 points for a defeat
Progressing from one division to next requires 100 points
Progressing from one tier to the next requires 100 points while at that tier's final division
While in the Challenger tier, players will not lose points for a defeat
While in Challenger, Advanced, or Expert tiers, players will earn 40 points (instead of 20 points) for consecutive victories
While in Advanced or Expert tiers, players will lose 10 points (instead of 20 points) for a defeat if the match is lost during a tie-breaking round
Players may only queue as a group if they are within 10 divisions of one another

Apathy

Shes better but I don't want attack syms when there are better options out there.

Nimby

Banned
A Chinese team ran a KotH Sym at Team Story. I think they lost pretty bad though. Basically the rework only strengthened her on maps she was already good at, and made good at the second point on 2CP.

I really hope teams experiment with her more on payload defense, I really feel like she is viable there too. Sym turret buff makes her less of a static defense character, I always have a stockpile of turrets. Ideally on a map like Volskaya, you want to place those turrets in weird spots as they enemies are approaching the choke, so you get some ult charge, and reinforce your defense when some turrets are destroyed.

Route 66 second payload phase seems like a good point for Sym, and Dorado 3rd point as well.

EDIT: Like if you can establish highground on 66 second, Sym could place her generator in the hallway leading from the factory (or what ever that is). Dorado second point doesn't have a lot of opportunities for her to build ult charge IMO. 3rd point seems good because it also has a good spot for shield gen, and on the high ground you have tiny little hallways that makes Syms alt fire extremely good. Also forget to mention I like her on Watchpoint second the best. The only issue with that map being in very high level play, you either establish your defense or you get rolled into last.

Today is very very special. Gold elims as Ana (13) on Volskaya. In Platinum. Loss after loss because people are just fucking atrocious and the matchmaking keeps grouping me with golds, even someone in placement (level 33). This game hates me.

ElyrionX

I mean, I can understand people wanting to "have fun" in QP. But how is it fun picking Widow and Hanzo when the other team has Genji, Tracer, Winston and Dva? It's fun to play the hero you want but getting repeatedly flanked and killed while your team gets stomped?

weshes195

Oh boy I know im gonna have a bad time with competitive. I love the game mode but about to start 4th game and something happened with the server (can't tell if it was my WiFi or the games fault) and now I'm briefly suspended.

Worst part is that my I've had no problem with my wifI with my games currently including this one so I'm now gonna be paranoid about losing the server and getting banned...

Zakalwe

Banned
Bought a bunch of boxes (50ish). Got a Yeti, a few legendary skins, tonnes of epics.

Had enough to buy Nutcracker and an epic emote for Zen. Happy Xmas!

Not into the meta yet (only level 9), but Zen is easily my favourite so far. Looking forward to ranked games despite the moaning ITT.

bjork

I mean, I can understand people wanting to "have fun" in QP. But how is it fun picking Widow and Hanzo when the other team has Genji, Tracer, Winston and Dva? It's fun to play the hero you want but getting repeatedly flanked and killed while your team gets stomped?

It's not fun picking Hanzo and anyone who does should feel bad about themselves. Worst character.

Oh boy I know im gonna have a bad time with competitive. I love the game mode but about to start 4th game and something happened with the server (can't tell if it was my WiFi or the games fault) and now I'm briefly suspended.

Worst part is that my I've had no problem with my wifI with my games currently including this one so I'm now gonna be paranoid about losing the server and getting banned...
AFAIK there's no banning, just xp loss and suspensions. Banning is reserved for hackers. But I've only had to quit one comp game so don't take my word for it.

Anyway kinda weird thing but in Blizzard's Frosted render for Zarya on an Instagram ad she has pink nails but in-game they're white.

caesar

Banned
Why is it always the mercy mains who flame? This mercy on koth, yes koth was berating the whole team for not protecting her. So useless.

Chance

Why is it always the mercy mains who flame? This mercy on koth, yes koth was berating the whole team for not protecting her. So useless.

I've switched to Mercy on KotH when my team are ensuring that only 2 of them are in line of sight to heal at any given time, making Lucio mostly useless. Pocketing your one strong DPS can turn the tide, if they take advantage of any openings your other flailing teammates make.

And when that doesn't work, switch to Tracer, start killin' things and hope for the best.

Jellie

I would argue Mercy/Lucio/Zen have far better ultimates for team fights though and, in my experience, seem to be far better at keeping your team alive with general healing.

Mercy has to either hide, making it a 5 v 6 or risk dying in a 6 v 6 to get use out of it.
Zen's is good but gets countered by Ana's grenade.

Without an Ana grenade, Zen probably has the best support ult. Lucio probably second. Ana's is very good too and Mercy/Lucio/Zen don't have far better ultimates. I would probably put them as Zen>=Lucio>Ana>>>Mercy.

Ana is the best for keeping your team alive. Zen and Lucio's healing is very low compared to Mercy and Ana. Ana also has the dart which can save people, ie charged by reinhardt or hooked by Roadhog as well as the highest burst healing.

Mercy has to either hide, making it a 5 v 6 or risk dying in a 6 v 6 to get use out of it.

Without an Ana grenade, Zen probably has the best support ult. Lucio probably second. Ana's is very good too and Mercy/Lucio/Zen don't have far better ultimates. I would probably put them as Zen>=Lucio>Ana>>>Mercy.

Ana is the best for keeping your team alive. Zen and Lucio's healing is very low compared to Mercy and Ana. Ana also has the dart which can save people, ie charged by reinhardt or hooked by Roadhog as well as the highest burst healing.

So all in all, Ana is way to good right now.

Zakalwe

Banned
Only level 9, but so far Zen seems the most efficient healer simply because you can spam it to keep your team topped up and it has lock on.

I understand this will change later, especially with pre-mades and good comms, but in pub QP Zen is my favourite healer.

I teamed up with a random Soldier earlier and we stuck together. He kept me safe while I healed the team, and I made sure to de-buff his targets. The team play aspect of this game is really something.

Grief.exe

if your ana is bad, then sure

I was merely going by healing outputs on Overbuff and Ana is far behind Lucio/Mercy while essentially tied with Zen.

Only level 9, but so far Zen seems the most efficient healer simply because you can spam it to keep your team topped up and it has lock on.

I understand this will change later, especially with pre-mades and good comms, but in pub QP Zen is my favourite healer.

I teamed up with a random Soldier earlier and we stuck together. He kept me safe while I healed the team, and I made sure to de-buff his targets. The team play aspect of this game is really something.

At basically any level, you can't go wrong with the healer picks. They are all solid picks, each with their own positives and negatives that scale with your team composition and the enemy's.

Ana is the best support currently but I do feel like she has the worst ultimate out of all the supports.

At basically any level, you can't go wrong with the healer picks. They are all solid picks, each with their own positives and negatives that scale with your team composition and the enemy's.

Mercy is trash for KOTH and not too great on attack either. I mean obviously at level 9 I'd take a KOTH mercy over a dps who can't hit shit but..

Jellie

So all in all, Ana is way to good right now.
Pretty much. I hope she'll still be fun when she gets the enivitable nerf.
I was merely going by healing outputs on Overbuff and Ana is far behind Lucio/Mercy while essentially tied with Zen.

Total healing doesn't correlate with ability to keep them alive. Lucio usually has the highest heals but that's because he heals up to 6 people. In a fight his speed boost is more likely to keep people alive unless they've been naded first.
Ana's total healing isn't high as Lucio or mercy because hers is a burst healing. Mercy and Lucio are good for healing poke damage and for in between fights. If somebody gets focused Ana's burst heals can keep them alive.

I would say you can go wrong with healer picks. I think mercy is pretty detrimental unless you are also running pharah.

Regardless of favs/best, the healing mechanics in this game are all incredibly fun. Just as fun as the frags.

Agreed, even Mercy who imo is the least fun to play is basically just a more interesting TF2 Medic. Blizz did a good job in making healers fun to play.

Ana is fucking fun though. So that's something.

I have a gold gun coming soon, so just tell us if you're going to make her unplayable or not Blizz.

I can see many nerfs in percentages, but also maybe a rework of her biotic grenade. Whatever the case I don't think the nerfs will deter Ana mains from playing her.

Grief.exe

Who is the best support to play with Ana? I generally recommend Lucio to teams as I like his ability to spread out healing to my more targeted burst and his defensive ultimate.

Whatever the case I don't think the nerfs will deter Ana mains from playing her.

Y'all got anymore of that Ana?

ngbbs43cddec7e2b26.jpg

Jellie

Who is the best support to play with Ana? I generally recommend Lucio to teams as I like his ability to spread out healing to my more targeted burst and his defensive ultimate.

Y'all got anymore of that Ana?

ngbbs43cddec7e2b26.jpg

Lucio. He can protect her with boops if she gets dived and his aoe healing synergies really well with the grenade.

NeoRaider

I like to pick Ana only if in my team are at least 2 tanks if not i always go Mercy and sometimes Zen. I am not playing Lucio and i don't consider Symmetra to be a healer.

Mercy is my most played healer and i am the best with her, usually getting Epic cards and compliments when i play Mercy. Maybe she is not as fun as Zen or Ana but i personally like her the most.

Skii

I think Ana has got to the "Lucio" point now where any nerf to her isn't going to stop her from being integral to the meta. But a nerf can at least make her more fun to play against as well as allowing non meta comps to stand some sort of chance. I can't even remember the last time I won the Reinhardt battle with Lucio+Zen vs Ana+Lucio/Zen. You're just clobbering away at their Reinhardt and then next second he's at full health again whilst you can't even heal.

Alucrid

Banned
Ana is the best support currently but I do feel like she has the worst ultimate out of all the supports.

Mercy is trash for KOTH and not too great on attack either. I mean obviously at level 9 I'd take a KOTH mercy over a dps who can't hit shit but..

her ultimate is only as good as the ana and person you put it on, much more so now that there's no speed buff in play.

regardless, try solo healing four tanks as lucio. then try as ana.

Top Bottom