• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
She only got one for Christmas.

Unless you're talking about a costume that doesn't actually exist.

Your whole argument is based on a skin that doesn't exist when the game's director has already said Mei's getting a new skin early this year. Close enough that he wouldn't have brought it if up if it wasn't

Your whole argument is based on a skin that doesn't exist when the game's director has already said Mei's getting a new skin early this year. Close enough that he wouldn't have brought it if up if it wasn't
This is the first I've heard of any such skin. I don't really follow this game's news all that much anymore.

Veelk

Banned
Jesus, why is there a widowmaker in 80% of my QP matches? They're only good 1% of the time at best and ruin the game literally every other time. I know it's QP, but it's getting super old.

I-hate-u

Symmetra's shield generator placement is so inconsistent. Sometimes the game doesn't even allow me to put it close to spawn, sometime it lets me put in spawn.

Jellie

I should just main rein for the rest of the comp season. Doing so well with him now.

3rd dimensional chess plays all day long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6cRk9HzxnQ

WIsh I didn't suck with Rein. Seems like he has the highest highs and the lowest lows. Feels great when you wipe a team with earthshatter and smack them around but when your team don't follow up or leave your shield, feels bad.

Also those times when Rein is on less than 30hp and puts his shield up and you just punch him.

Any tips?

WIsh I didn't suck with Rein. Seems like he has the highest highs and the lowest lows. Feels great when you wipe a team with earthshatter and smack them around but when your team don't follow up or leave your shield, feels bad.

Also those times when Rein is on less than 30hp and puts his shield up and you just punch him.

Any tips?

Shield is everything. Moment it goes down run away, let it recharge a bit and go back. At the same time NEVER keep the shield up longer than you have to. If there's no enemies then keep it down, unless there's a hanzo or widow then keep it up. I've had games with 30k+ damage blocked. Blocked damage is damage not going to your team. Most healers don't even heal 30k.

Shield angle is king. Understand that an enemy can hit the shield even if geometry doesn't cover it cause it's a large shield. It may poke out the other side of a wall. So being conscious of it's size is important. Can be used to block doorways while being completely safe from enemy fire. Or you can shield two pathways.

Rein charge needs to be used strategically. If the enemy is really close and there's a wall behind him. Use it. If they're all near a cliff, aim to boop them off. Enemy frozen or trapped or sleep, charge them. Never blind charge into the enemy for no reason. Only time you suicide charge is if you want to stall or delay an approach. Also useful for getting back to the fight so learn the straightest lines to travel. Main thing to know is that the longer you're travelling on a charge, the more time you're exposed. Short chrages are best unless you want to isolate an enemy like a boosted rein

Firestrike is how you get your ult early game. So always throw it into the crowd. Firestrikes go through shields and crowds so it's a good way to poke

Watch the enemy Reinhardt. This is the biggest rule of the Reinhardt.
- If you know he has an earthshatter, let him use his. Then counter his immediately. If you're forced to earthshatter before him, keep your shield up in his face instead of wiping the enemy team. A couple of kills and saving the team goes farther than trying to get a teamwipe and get wiped instead by a counter earthshatter.

- If both you and the enemy Rein are staring eye to eye, and it's still in the "neutral" game of both sides poking, you need to get as far forward and away from anything that cause a rein charge to make impact. Open space. But don't get too close to get into a melee. Your shield will get hammed but it also makes an opportunity. Many bad Reins will decide to go after a Rein with no shield. Thats pretty much taking the bait to lure an aggressive rein into teamfire.

Rein needs to be very communicative. You spend a lot of time shield up seeing everything. Call out positions, call out the picks. Until there's a brawl you have the biggest view of the battle

The Mei exploit on Eco Point Antarctica is infuriating. Every goddamn match of elimination has some punk trying to delay their team's inevitable loss by glitching through the ceiling. And as a Mei main, I even have dudes on my team trying to get me to push then through at the beginning of the match, too.

Thank god I finally managed to get my ninth win in arcade mode; I was gonna lose my damn mind if I had to deal with that any longer. Seeing level 200+ dudes using the glitch every round was just pathetic.

Jesus, why is there a widowmaker in 80% of my QP matches? They're only good 1% of the time at best and ruin the game literally every other time. I know it's QP, but it's getting super old.

I don't play her much in qp but if I do it's because I'd never ever play her in comp ever and I like playing all the heroes.

antitrop

I've seen so many Widowmaker POTGs in the last few weeks, she's in pretty much every non-KOTH QP game, but the ones I see don't suck.

It's actually been a while since I've seen a bad Widowmaker. It's been good for getting some Winston practice hours in.

wXW18Yo.png
I think I can do great with rein.

NeoRaider

I feel like i always get good Widows against me but shitty ones in my team.

Good Widow can make me so salty, like no other hero can.

Jellie

Shield is everything. Moment it goes down run away, let it recharge a bit and go back. At the same time NEVER keep the shield up longer than you have to. If there's no enemies then keep it down, unless there's a hanzo or widow then keep it up. I've had games with 30k+ damage blocked. Blocked damage is damage not going to your team. Most healers don't even heal 30k.

Shield angle is king. Understand that an enemy can hit the shield even if geometry doesn't cover it cause it's a large shield. It may poke out the other side of a wall. So being conscious of it's size is important. Can be used to block doorways while being completely safe from enemy fire. Or you can shield two pathways.

Rein charge needs to be used strategically. If the enemy is really close and there's a wall behind him. Use it. If they're all near a cliff, aim to boop them off. Enemy frozen or trapped or sleep, charge them. Never blind charge into the enemy for no reason. Only time you suicide charge is if you want to stall or delay an approach. Also useful for getting back to the fight so learn the straightest lines to travel. Main thing to know is that the longer you're travelling on a charge, the more time you're exposed. Short chrages are best unless you want to isolate an enemy like a boosted rein

Firestrike is how you get your ult early game. So always throw it into the crowd. Firestrikes go through shields and crowds so it's a good way to poke

Watch the enemy Reinhardt. This is the biggest rule of the Reinhardt.
- If you know he has an earthshatter, let him use his. Then counter his immediately. If you're forced to earthshatter before him, keep your shield up in his face instead of wiping the enemy team. A couple of kills and saving the team goes farther than trying to get a teamwipe and get wiped instead by a counter earthshatter.

- If both you and the enemy Rein are staring eye to eye, and it's still in the "neutral" game of both sides poking, you need to get as far forward and away from anything that cause a rein charge to make impact. Open space. But don't get too close to get into a melee. Your shield will get hammed but it also makes an opportunity. Many bad Reins will decide to go after a Rein with no shield. Thats pretty much taking the bait to lure an aggressive rein into teamfire.
Got any good bait tricks? Saw one on twitch where they ran in the opposite direction then 180d and blocked but that is very risky due to roadhog.

When you position yourself to minimise their ability to charge you does this take precedence over your ability to charge them? IE do you prioritise open space behind you over maneuvering so that their rein doesn't have open space behind for you to charge into?

I feel like i always get good Widows against me but shitty ones in my team.

Good Widow can make me so salty, like no other hero can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hrh1z_6ZaFE

Got any good bait tricks? Saw one on twitch where they ran in the opposite direction then 180d and blocked but that is very risky due to roadhog.

When you position yourself to minimise their ability to charge you does this take precedence over your ability to charge them? IE do you prioritise open space behind you over maneuvering so that their rein doesn't have open space behind for you to charge into?

Yeah, always take your position and enemy position into consideration. If you can get him into the charge do it. At the same time if you get charged there's a possibility for a counter charge to get you back to your team. You and your team's safety takes precedence. Open space is good, but if you're watching you and the rein too much the enemy rein might find your mercy and just charge her. So priority really is covering teammates first, then yourself, then enemy position. This may seem like a lot but Rein's shield is massive, you'd be surprised how easy it is to find advantageous positionings

If you can't get out of a rein charge, just try to jump to the side. Might get lucky and get booped out of the way instead of being charged. At that point you can actually do a lot.

Easy baiting tricks require teammates like standing behind a junkrat trap. You'd be surprised how many reins charge a stationary rein. Junkrat is out of meta so a lot of people don't expect traps. Pro baiting tricks require knowledge of the geography. Say the rocks in hanamura first point. Certain angles will deflect your rein charge so you can actually just charge from behind cover making the enemy think they're safe. Easiest way to bait a rein is to group up with your team. Many reins think they can get a pick if they dive into the enemy team. Especially in say KOTH maps with everyone on the point. Many reins will just charge in.

Jellie

Yeah, always take your position and enemy position into consideration. If you can get him into the charge do it. At the same time if you get charged there's a possibility for a counter charge to get you back to your team. You and your team's safety takes precedence. Open space is good, but if you're watching you and the rein too much the enemy rein might find your mercy and just charge her. So priority really is covering teammates first, then yourself, then enemy position. This may seem like a lot but Rein's shield is massive, you'd be surprised how easy it is to find advantageous positionings

If you can't get out of a rein charge, just try to jump to the side. Might get lucky and get booped out of the way instead of being charged. At that point you can actually do a lot.

Easy baiting tricks require teammates like standing behind a junkrat trap. You'd be surprised how many reins charge a stationary rein. Junkrat is out of meta so a lot of people don't expect traps. Pro baiting tricks require knowledge of the geography. Say the rocks in hanamura first point. Certain angles will deflect your rein charge so you can actually just charge from behind cover making the enemy think they're safe. Easiest way to bait a rein is to group up with your team. Many reins think they can get a pick if they dive into the enemy team.
I mean baiting the ult not the charge. The jumping trick sounds useful if you can't countercharge though. Defeinetly going to use that on all characters.

Nimby

Banned
rebuffing zenyatta's discord orb would be way more effective at stopping the meta, since it's effectively cutting a target's health in half and it's the tank's health pool in conjunction with the insane healing Ana can do

buffing mercy's blue beam would just strengthen the tank meta imo

Mercy damage buff favors DPS like Pharah, Soldier, McCree and Bastion to some degree. Damage buffing tanks will only make them better at taking out tanks essentially, which would also be true for Discord.

I still want to see it as it means when Ana is nerfed we get a DPS-centric meta and you get to see crazy McCree and Pharah plays again.

I mean baiting the ult not the charge. The jumping trick sounds useful if you can't countercharge though. Defeinetly going to use that on all characters.

Baiting out an ult is hard. Best way is to flicker your shield or even drop it a few times with you being very close to the enemy rein. Chances are though you're playing with fire with that strategy but it is the safest for the team. When you're in front of the rein in his face with no shield, many will just ult. If you can time your block right you can get the block. But at the same time if you can't, just try to ensure your team is far behind you so they're safe. Most of the time, a rein without a shield is ult bait.

antitrop

I am laughing so hard! 2nd part of the video is pure gold!

Thank you.
Second half of that video makes my Widow look good.

I have like... 15 minutes played on her total. I've never liked playing snipers ever.

She's my least played character by far, right there with Symmetra and Bastion.

Jellie

I am laughing so hard! 2nd part of the video is pure gold!

Thank you.
Here's a link to a playlist for them.
Baiting out an ult is hard. Best way is to flicker your shield or even drop it a few times with you being very close to the enemy rein. Chances are though you're playing with fire with that strategy but it is the safest for the team. When you're in front of the rein in his face with no shield, many will just ult. If you can time your block right you can get the block. But at the same time if you can't, just try to ensure your team is far behind you so they're safe. Most of the time, a rein without a shield is ult bait.
Guess I'm gonna try rein in QP later. Pity that whenver I do there never is an opposiing one to practice on or its a GM with next level mind games.

Here's a link to a playlist for them.

Guess I'm gonna try rein in QP later. Pity that whenver I do there never is an opposiing one to practice on or its a GM with next level mind games.

I played a bit of rein in S1. Didn't do so well. Then played everything else in S2. But at the end of S2 Rein clicked in a couple of random QP matches and it stuck with me since. It's not even a small click it's like the whole eureka this is how you play rein moment.

I really do think he takes a whole different mindset that everyone else. He doesnt' rely much on mechanical skill but pure tactical skill.

The thing is, a rein shield WILL go down in the current meta. Not if it's when. So in order to survive against a barrage of Dva, Soldier, Roadhog shots is really going down to shield management.

Nothing wrong with taking a couple of hits to retreat to cover to recharge shield. Hell that helps your healers get ult charge. However many teams will try to capitalize on a rein with no shield so when that happens you need to think about counter play. Retreat to a symmetra turret nest, or head towards a torb turret or near your bastion. Use your retreat as a bait.

Like I said, Rein is playing a chess game. Every move needs a reason.

Jellie

I played a bit of rein in S1. Didn't do so well. Then played everything else in S2. But at the end of S2 Rein clicked in a couple of random QP matches and it stuck with me since. It's not even a small click it's like the whole eureka this is how you play rein moment.

I really do think he takes a whole different mindset that everyone else. He doesnt' rely much on mechanical skill but pure tactical skill.
Well if you ever wanna play with an Ana main add me. Jellie#21742.
Reins in QP are unicorns. It's easier to find people who want to play Support.
Everytime I do well in QP with rein its because there isn't one on the enemy team. Yeah everyone is good about having support now. Still only one in QP though. I remember in comp back in season 1 where playing Lucio basically meant you would win as the other team wouldn't have one usually. To a certain rank of course.

antitrop

I remember in comp back in season 1 where playing Lucio basically meant you would win as the other team wouldn't have one usually. To a certain rank of course.
I'll never forget the minute long contest I did on Lijiang with Lucio when I was playing on PS4. The rest of the team was screaming how awesome I was as they came back from spawn to cap the point and win the game, it was the best feeling I've ever had in Overwatch.

If I was playing on PC, the contest would have lasted about 10 seconds and then I would have lost the game, but I got away with some DUUUUUUUUMBBBBB shit with Lucio tricks on PS4.

Jellie

I'll never forget the minute long contest I did on Lijiang with Lucio when I was playing on PS4. The rest of the team was screaming how awesome I was as they came back from spawn to cap the point and win the game, it was the best feeling I've ever had in Overwatch.

If I was playing on PC, the contest would have lasted about 10 seconds and then I would have lost the game, but I got away with some DUUUUUUUUMBBBBB shit with Lucio tricks on PS4.

Yeah PS4 Lucio was the best. Some of my personal highlights was Lijiang where I got something like 8 minute total objective time and 20+ minutes on fire in a 3 round game and solo contesting Kings Row A when my team got wiped out twice while dodging GM genji and GM pharah while discorded. We managed to win as well so we got loads of SR. Both times had the whole team screaming. Initially they were like oh well looks like we've lost the point. Then they were like oh shit Lucio contesting you can do it Lucio before they started screaming down their mics. So hype.

Might work on PC. I can't wall ride as well on PC as I could PS4 and still managed to contest (really badly) in comp the one time I played him.

And those unicorns are Suicidal idiots more than half the time

Playing against other reins in QP as a rein helps a ton. Lets you delve deeper into the minds of bad reinhardts and how to exploit more ways to get them to die. Cause eventually one of those tricks may work on a good rein.

edit: Actually one of the smallest little details with rein that I always do which may seems small but is huge, is always drop shield when a firestrike comes by. Since it always goes through the shield protecting the shield is important. Rein shield hits quite a bit so why keep the shield up to block something it can't block.

DOWN

Banned
I think it's pretty ridiculous I'm level 50 and have never spent a single credit and still can't afford one of the Legendary winter skins

L5W3oyI.png

This piece of human garbage spent the entire comp game camping in a corner of the map while emoting. From the very first second till the last. Didn't even try to play.

Maybe trying to lower his ranking to play with friends or some shit, I don't care.

Since there's no report feature on console, where do I have to tell on this motherfucker ? I kept the video just in case.

I think it's pretty ridiculous I'm level 50 and have never spent a single credit and still can't afford one of the Legendary winter skins

The more levels you get the more stuff you get which also leads to more duplicates. Lower level just has it hard to earn money

Jellie

It tends to get much better once you get to like level 100 since you'll be getting duplicates. I only just managed to buy the zen skin and I'm level 135.

DevilDog

When you're higher level and have unlocked more, you'll get duplicates all the time and you'll end up with 8k credits out of nowhere.

With all due respect, level 50 is not much. You get credit for getting duplicates mostly, and obviously, you don't have much in your collection.

By the time you hit level 300, you'll have all the skins you've wanted plus thousands of credit lying around. I sure do not know what to do with mine.

Enjoy the ride, but if you're serious about the game and do intend to know it in depth, you'll probably realize how short your experience had been back when you were at your current spot.

Top Bottom