• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Personally, I think Winston's biggets flaw is that he doesn't have any good damage output or burst damage.

Jump into group + 1sec with the gun = 110dmg.

Like, land your jumps.

Also why he's so good with genji because that combo + swift strike means you already get 1 pick.

Like, land your jumps.

Also why he's so good with genji because that combo + swift strike means you already get 1 pick.

110 damage every 6 seconds is still nothing compared to the other tanks. As was stated above, Winston is terrible against other tanks, who all seem to be able to take each other out through various methods. Except they're all good against winston, and winston is terrible against them all.

76 can land 100+ damage every 8 seconds, and it doesn't require him to make himself vulnerable. Hell 76 can just shoot 110 damage in the time it takes Winston to land from his jump.

Jellie

Personally, I think Winston's biggets flaw is that he doesn't have any good damage output or burst damage.

Rein can 1shot a lot of characters with his charge, and can do crazy damage to the enemy team with his Ult.

DVa has crazy damage at point blank range, and can 1HKO every character with her Ult. Context specific*

Roadhog obviously has his standard hook combo that can 1HKO many characters, and many more characters if a Zen (or any focus fire really) is involved.

Zarya becomes a DPS beast when she's above 70 energy, and her Ult is 1 half of a tag team combo that can lead to multiple kills.

Winstons regular gun is the weakest in the game, and has no potential of being any stronger from his own accord. His Ult is not about damage, but about disruption, which has it's benefits, but in a game where deaths are crazy important, it seems lackluster in comparison.

This is why the Tank meta is a thing. Because most Tanks have 1HKO abilities to compensate for their low base DPS/mobility.

Personally, I'd love to see something like this for Winston:

Move his current primary fire to his alt fire. Make his new Primary fire a single electrical connection that does 1.8 time the damage of one of his current streams, but can't jump to multiple targets. Make it also consume his battery twice as fast.

Edit: though to get rid of the tank meta, you need to make it so Tank's simply can't do the kind of damage a DPS class can. 1HKO abilities are fine, but they should have big penalties and/or cooldowns. As it is, most tanks can land kills easier and safer than most DPS classes can.
Yeah the problem with tanks in overwatch is they do too much damage while having the sustain they do apart from Winston. A tank should have low damage to compensate for their high sustain. I think Winston is a good example of what a tank should do which is create space for the DPS while also being able to 1 V 1 decently by using abilities well and taking advantage of their higher health and not their DPS. Buffing Winston's damage would just make the meta worse. He already does decent damage to squishes and multiple enemies at once. Just nerf the damage of the tanks and make roadhogs hook CD longer so their damage output is similar to Winston.

Grief.exe

Youd be shocked, but in the 3500s there are still people who refuse to switch from Reaper or Genji when a Pharah is raining down hell on us.

I end up usually having to switch to S76 and then we`ll either lose a healer/tank/Mei depending on the situation.

People who play S76 are also among the most unaware of their surroundings too.

Yeah the problem with tanks in overwatch is they do too much damage while having the sustain they do apart from Winston. A tank should have low damage to compensate for their high sustain. I think Winston is a good example of what a tank should do which is create space for the DPS while also being able to 1 V 1 decently by using abilities well and taking advantage of their higher health and not their DPS. Buffing Winston's damage would just make the meta worse. He already does decent damage to squishes and multiple enemies at once. Just nerf the damage of the tanks and make roadhogs hook CD longer so their damage output is similar to Winston.

Yeah, I meant that's what needs to happen, I just figure the odds of that are much much smaller.

Like, land your jumps.

Those jumps aren't easy to land, and that kind of coordination will never happen with randos. Winston's kinda bad compared to the rest of the tanks atm. Situationally useful, sure. But that's probably more D.Va and Hog being too good more than Winston being bad.

110 damage IF you land your jump perfectly and can get out again without dying, great. Meanwhile Roadhog gets a free pick every 6 seconds without going out of position.

Jellie

Yeah, I meant that's what needs to happen, I just figure the odds of that are much much smaller.

Yeah buffing Winstons damage would be the easy way to get him equal usage with other tanks but just causes more problems. Overhauling the rest of the tanks is much more difficult to balance but would be better overall.

Cappa

Banned
People who play S76 are also among the most unaware of their surroundings too.
Yikes, this too. I think thats more frustrating to me, than people who refuse to switch from Tracer/Genji/Reaper when the enemy team has a Pharah that is wiping everyone out.

S76 has to be one of the easiest heroes to play with yet there are people who cant seem to grasp the concept of things above or behind them, they only have tunnel vision.

Yikes, this too. I think thats more frustrating to me, than people who refuse to switch from Tracer/Genji/Reaper when the enemy team has a Pharah that is wiping everyone out.

S76 has to be one of the easiest heroes to play with yet there are people who cant seem to grasp the concept of things above or behind them, they only have tunnel vision.

Your average player also doesn't understand how bloom works, so when they use the default crosshair for 76, they think his aim turns to shit after the first bullet.

Grief.exe

I end up usually having to switch to S76 and then we`ll either lose a healer/tank/Mei depending on the situation.

Ana or Zen is also a good switch is you are playing a healer since they are capable of putting some pressure on Pharah. Not optimal, but it's one of the best options in that scenario.

Mupod

Nerfing the hell out of tank damage would be a good way to get me to stop playing this game. I play a tank in WoW and a couple weeks into Legion they cut my damage by 40% according to my logs (they said it would only be 10). If they did that in Overwatch my most-played character would become a waste of space.

Pharahs are like 99% guaranteed on tiebrekers and people still dont want to pick a hitscan. Even when i type in chat
"They're probably gonna run pharah"
"We only have Ana if they run Pharah"
No?
I guess Mei and Reaper is fine :/

Atleast one of the most satisfying things is dominating a pharah as Ana. I kinda just smirk when you 3 shot them and even 2shotting them forces them down. Applying that kind of pressure is really satisfying

Enemy team keeps picking Pharah.

I'm on Zenyatta, my go-to when no one else picks support. I state that I will discord Pharah because she will be trying to kill me first.

I then spend the entire match reminding McCree/Soldier/Roadhog/whoever to look up and fucking shoot her. I've had to get pretty good at landing hits on Pharah with Zenyatta because they never do. I've also learned that I can hit an aerial Mercy with surprising reliability.

I don't get it though. When I see a discord orb that's what I shoot at, why wouldn't I? Why do other Roadhogs never hook Pharah, I can do it easily and I only have a few hours on him.

Nerfing the hell out of tank damage would be a good way to get me to stop playing this game. I play a tank in WoW and a couple weeks into Legion they cut my damage by 40% according to my logs (they said it would only be 10). If they did that in Overwatch my most-played character would become a waste of space.

So what about all the other people who's most played character is DPS who no longer can because Tanks have taken over?

It always amazes me how selfish people are when it comes to balancing.

Overwatch isn't WoW. It's not like you have to spend literal days invested into a character only for the game to turn around and make that feel worthless. My "main" is pharah, and you know how often I get to play her?

I went from 13 hours in season 1, to 5 hours in season 2, to 7 minutes of season 3.

Learn to see the big picture. The healthier the entire game is balanced, the more population it retains, which means the more dev and balancing get put into it. Which means the more new stuff that gets added to the game.

caesar

Banned
Biggest misconceptions in ow gaf right now:

Winston needs a buff.

Sombra is bad.

Symmetra is op.

I can't climb because I have a bad team every game.

Its like groundhog day in here. Btw Cappa who plays Reaper at 3500? Never see it tbh.

Satch

Banned
omg last night i was playing on anubis attack and the defense had symmetra's shield generator up, and they had a tracer.

it was a nightmare, she was unkillable. i hope i never have to deal with that again

Jellie

Biggest misconceptions in ow gaf right now:

Winston needs a buff.

Sombra is bad.

Symmetra is op.

I can't climb because I have a bad team every game.

Its like groundhog day in here.

Nah we are saying all tanks but Winston need a nerf. Which is kinda an indirect Winston buff I guess.

caesar

Banned
Nah we are saying all tanks but Winston need a nerf. Which is kinda an indirect Winston buff I guess.

Not saying you were saying that, but it gets argued a lot here. Just that Winston doesnt have a huge place in the meta atm but hes fine, if he got buffed that would be hellish.

I want to learn how to do those D.Va mech throws. Is there somewhere you praticed or is it just much easier to land than it looks?

This is what I have to do because I can't throw:

https://twitter.com/IvanANguyen/status/815065431622975488

Just realize that when you trigger your Ult while you are boosting, your Mech will continue in that direction, as if you had just pushed the boost.

So if you boost, and hit your Ult when your boost is 90% over, your mech will go 190% of the boost distance total.

Naturally, it will fall/arc down when the boost has finished.

Jellie

Not saying you were saying that, but it gets argued a lot here. Just that Winston doesnt have a huge place in the meta atm but hes fine, if he got buffed that would be hellish.

Oh yeah his damage is fine as it is. It's just problems with the meta. He does well if people don't play the meta so you do see him around here and there and if they are good they can dominate. It's just playing him against a Dva and a Roadhog is just death.

caesar

Banned
She is in soloqueue, at least. I've lost count of the number of worthless EMPs I've seen because her team wasn't ready for them.

You just have to be really good, her skill ceiling is insane. There are sombra mains in master and gm though and they are scary.

You just have to be really good, her skill ceiling is insane. There are sombra mains in master and gm though and they are scary.

Sombra being theoretically good doesn't make the 99% of people who play her terribly good. "Sombra is bad" is therefore a fine generalization for the vast majority of people. I have never seen a Sombra who's more than a minor nuisance.

Just realize that when you trigger your Ult while you are boosting, your Mech will continue in that direction, as if you had just pushed the boost.

So if you boost, and hit your Ult when your boost is 90% over, your mech will go 190% of the boost distance total.

Naturally, it will fall/arc down when the boost has finished.

Does the ult always go off on the ground or mid air? If it goes off mid air is there a Y distance it has to be?

breadtruck

I want to learn how to do those D.Va mech throws. Is there somewhere you praticed or is it just much easier to land than it looks?

This is what I have to do because I can't throw:

https://twitter.com/IvanANguyen/status/815065431622975488

You used your boost to get through the window.
To throw the mech you have to boost then activate the self-destruct. The mech will then keep flying as it times down.

[EDIT]
Does the ult always go off on the ground or mid air? If it goes off mid air is there a Y distance it has to be?
You could launch it straight up into the sky and blow up above everyone if you wanted. Like you could have activated the bomb as you flew through that window and blew up just past it in the air.

You used your boost to get through the window.
To throw the mech you have to boost then activate the self-destruct. The mech will then keep flying as it times down.

Maybe I should have jumped out when I cleared the window. The 2nd boost would have taken the ult to the right spot. Maybe. D.Va is so much fun!

Grief.exe

Sombra being theoretically good doesn't make the 99% of people who play her terribly good. "Sombra is bad" is therefore a fine generalization for the vast majority of people. I have never seen a Sombra who's more than a minor nuisance.

That's how I always see it.

The meta is so tight right now either either 2-3 tanks, 2 healers, and that only leaves space for 1-2 DPS slots. Those DPS have to counter the enemy teams picks and output a ton of damage, so those picks have to be among the best in the game.

Picking a theoretically good pick like Tracer, Hanzo, Genji, Sombra can be beneficial, but that person has to play out of their mind in order to justify that pick to the rest of the team. The likelihood that you are playing with someone capable of that is unlikely in most skill brackets.

antitrop

It's too high for her role. Ana has a high skill ceiling, but Plat/Diamonds can still play her well enough. I think having to be Master+ just to play Sombra with any effectiveness is a problem.

Nimby

Banned
Sombra is a character that can have her ult charged in 15 seconds. Use it to instantly destroy a Reinhardt shield or disable DM. That seems pretty valuable right now actually, but the only reason teams are hesitant to use her is that she lacks consistent damage and either has to take the DPS slot or replace a support.

It's too high for her role. Ana has a high skill ceiling, but Plat/Diamonds can still play her well enough. I think having to be Master+ just to play Sombra with any effectiveness is a problem.

I want to see two things for Sombra.

1 - remove her see through walls if target is half health thing. It doesn't fit the kit and just doesn't make a lot of sense to me, and makes her character seem bloated.

2 - Allow her to hack/overclock friendly units so that they can move/shoot/heal faster. Just something small like 1.2x modifiers or something. Also, only let it last for like 6 seconds or something. This will give her the much more needed synergy she needs.

Grief.exe

Pro Hanzo starter pack

4pMashN.jpg

Crzy1

Pro Hanzo starter pack
I've been enjoying Hanzo lately. He's not effective in a lot of situations, but when you go ham and destroy the entire enemy team, it feels great. I can understand the hate, but I can also understand why people enjoy him.

I'll probably never touch him in comp, but I haven't been playing comp at all recently anyway.

Anne

Haven't played the game in so long I decayed into diamond lol

I don't mind having bad patch cycles, but the amount of time that has passed without any information is sadness.

I want to see two things for Sombra.

1 - remove her see through walls if target is half health thing. It doesn't fit the kit and just doesn't make a lot of sense to me, and makes her character seem bloated.

2 - Allow her to hack/overclock friendly units so that they can move/shoot/heal faster. Just something small like 1.2x modifiers or something. Also, only let it last for like 6 seconds or something. This will give her the much more needed synergy she needs.

The problem with 2 is that would incentivize her to be a backline fighter with the rest of the team, which is precisely how she is NOT meant to be played. A lot of awful Sombras try to play her like that, like a bad Soldier basically. Low health vision suits her kit because theoretically she's a backline assassin who can finish off low targets before teleporting back to safety. Doing these 2 things would make her more of a mediocre support hero than enhance what she's meant to be doing.

Mupod

So what about all the other people who's most played character is DPS who no longer can because Tanks have taken over?

It always amazes me how selfish people are when it comes to balancing.

Overwatch isn't WoW. It's not like you have to spend literal days invested into a character only for the game to turn around and make that feel worthless. My "main" is pharah, and you know how often I get to play her?

I went from 13 hours in season 1, to 5 hours in season 2, to 7 minutes of season 3.

Learn to see the big picture. The healthier the entire game is balanced, the more population it retains, which means the more dev and balancing get put into it. Which means the more new stuff that gets added to the game.

If you can't play Pharah how is that my problem? I saw and played as her plenty last night. If pro genji thinks he can't be esports then the only thing I'm worried about is finding my tiny violin.

KiraFA37

Haven't played the game in so long I decayed into diamond lol

I don't mind having bad patch cycles, but the amount of time that has passed without any information is sadness.

Yea, whats the chance that they release a balance update this week?

Sane_Man

Man I wish I wasn't in gold. I have to play healer every game with hopeless players. Nobody would go hitscan even though a pharah was wrecking us two games in a row! I asked so many times. Plus nobody communicates and let's you know their supers are ready etc.

I'm not great at the game but I at least understand what picks work, positioning etc. It's just hopeless solo queuing. There's literally nothing I can do to climb up.

Skii

Well the fact that they didn't instantly balance Roadhog and Dva after 2 weeks into season 3 shows they think this meta is generally fine and balanced. It's been a month now and there's not even been a word about balancing those two and Ana.

Top Bottom