• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Well the fact that they didn't instantly balance Roadhog and Dva after 2 weeks into season 3 shows they think this meta is generally fine and balanced. It's been a month now and there's not even been a word about balancing those two and Ana.

Ehh. I'm sure the holiday season has slowed there general reaction time in a lot of development; including balancing.

xaosslug

so many peeps that play this game have the mindset of "why bother?" when the going gets tough, and just give up. We lost the first point on Ilios, so from then on one team member went Symm and kept saying "Thank you." and our S76 would just spam his sitting emote... eventually the Symm set up her teleporter by a cliff. -_______-

Jellie

Well the fact that they didn't instantly balance Roadhog and Dva after 2 weeks into season 3 shows they think this meta is generally fine and balanced. It's been a month now and there's not even been a word about balancing those two and Ana.

It's Christmas. Expect changes to PTR in January I guess.

breadtruck

Man I wish I wasn't in gold. I have to play healer every game with hopeless players. Nobody would go hitscan even though a pharah was wrecking us two games in a row! I asked so many times. Plus nobody communicates and let's you know their supers are ready etc.

I'm not great at the game but I at least understand what picks work, positioning etc. It's just hopeless solo queuing. There's literally nothing I can do to climb up.

Yeah, its rough for sure. Many times I wonder if I accidentally entered Quick Play instead of Competitive.

I mean, I'm not the best player around, but I definitely feel like I'm the only one trying a lot of the time. Especially when there is an insta-lock Hanzo and Widowmaker on an attack map.

Sigh. Still, I do love this game... for now, haha

Grief.exe

so many peeps that play this game have the mindset of "why bother?" when the going gets tough, and just give up. We lost the first point on Ilios, so from then on one team member went Symm and kept saying "Thank you." and our S76 would just spam his sitting emote... eventually the Symm set up her teleporter by a cliff. -_______-

Saw that the other day.

Guy picks Sombra and tells us to give him a chance, two guys on our team disagree and instantly lock Hanzo and Widow in protest.

We end up taking the first point rapidly with Sombra playing really well, but the Hanzo and Widow players are now committed to their world view and continue to intentionally lose the game.

I generally just voice my concerns, rather than be toxic and intentionally lose the game. "I'd rather have a hitscan instead of Genji," or, "I've never found success with only one healer, can Hanzo switch?"

It seems Blizzard has taken a more wait and see approach, rather than push a bunch of reactionary balances like they did with Ana.
They are waiting to see how the meta shakes out with Sombra before pulling the trigger.

Yazzees

I know the real answer is "everything" but can I get some tips on what silver players tend to do wrong every game other than ignore the objective

Had some fun games with gaffers last night. It's nice to not have to care about rank. But I think I'm officially sick of this meta, Dva especially. I used to kind of like her before the buff when she was underpowered and no one really gave you any attention. Now she's a must pick, and has to dominate the game. I don't find her fun to play as or against anymore.

Symmetry on 2CP defense is just insane even though I enjoy kicking ass with Symmetra.

Ana is Ana.

There is way to much
-Instant lock on beam weapon that is insanely powerful
-Swinging big hammer in front of you
-Shooting infinite ammo in the general direction of enemy
-Throwing grenade at the feet of teammates.

When Genji was a pain in the ass at least he took a ton of skill to play. That part of the game definitely seems mitigated now. Of course it still takes skill, but the best way to play seems to be just a very by the numbers template where three tanks stay grouped up to get instantly healed and no one makes any risky moves. It's just not as fun.

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but the Lunar New Year starts at the end of this month, I'd be surprised if they had a full fledged event so soon after the last one.

I just don't understand why d.VA got such a bug buff when she wasnt even in f tier

I also don't understand the point of the ptr if they're just gonna put the changes in anyway

Jellie

I just don't understand why d.VA got such a bug buff when she wasnt even in f tier

I also don't understand the point of the ptr if they're just gonna put the changes in anyway

She was only used for final point stalls which is why she needed the buff. The movement buff is good but the rest was too much.

I know the real answer is "everything" but can I get some tips on what silver players tend to do wrong every game other than ignore the objective

Stylosa's got 5 tips to get you from silver to diamond easily...

Moonkeis

Does anyone else every get tired of asking DPS players to switch? I mean, by all means, play what you want at the start but if we aren't getting through and there is a minute left, try something else? That's been my morning so far...Torb and Widow on attack not being effective at all.

caesar

Banned

Move predictably, strafe left to right instead of jumping around every where.

Aim, mostly practice but whats your sens? I'm thinking its probably way too high.

Wasting ults, if you just got the checkpoint there is no need to use ults. If the enemy is still coming at you, let them waste theirs. Thats one example.

Trickling in, when you die wait for your team otherwise you will never be grouped up as 6.

I don't know a lot about silver but I'm guessing these are big problems. What about picks, do people pick healers and tanks?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Man I wish I wasn't in gold. I have to play healer every game with hopeless players. Nobody would go hitscan even though a pharah was wrecking us two games in a row! I asked so many times. Plus nobody communicates and let's you know their supers are ready etc.

I'm not great at the game but I at least understand what picks work, positioning etc. It's just hopeless solo queuing. There's literally nothing I can do to climb up.
Yeah I'm playing mostly as Ana since I'm so low level that it helps keep my clueless teammates alive, but enemies are also clueless down here. I was playing as Ana in 3v3 Elim and a Mei managed to freeze me solid then just looked at me. Didn't fire, didn't taunt, almost as though she thought she couldn't hurt me when I was frozen, like her shell ability. I headshotted her the split second I was unfrozen.

Jellie

Yeah I'm playing mostly as Ana since I'm so low level that it helps keep my clueless teammates alive, but enemies are also clueless down here. I was playing as Ana in 3v3 Elim and a Mei managed to freeze me solid then just looked at me. Didn't fire, didn't taunt, almost as though she thought she couldn't hurt me when I was frozen, like her shell ability. I headshotted her the split second I was unfrozen.

Ran out of ammo most likely. Happens to me with Mei and Roadhog after I hook :(
Also Ana can't headshot.

Ensirius

I am having these annoying and random framedrops where the game is almost unplayable.
I have mostly everything on low with a GTX 960 and a i5 4500K.
Anybody got this issue?

Sane_Man

While the tips in that video are good, he blatantly has never played in silver/gold. I already do all the things in those videos and they don't make a difference because most of my team mates do not.

I try and combo ultimates but nobody communicates back. I give positive advice but it's ignored. I try and make intelligent picks but I'm forced to heal, often solo because people just wanna hanzo or widow. It's hopeless advice unless most of your team mates are on the same page which is rare as fuck.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Jesus, just had a monster game as D.VA/Sym on Gibraltar.

55 eliminations, 19 Obj. Kills and 16K damage done.

Her head hotbox is so massive that it's possible her effective HP when you take the average TTK is similar to other tanks.

Just speculating here.
Winston's head hitbox is pretty damn big too, although it isn't in center mass and isn't glowing I guess.

I'm just sad for my boy Winston, before he was in a good little niche, not mandatory but he had his place. Now it seems there's little reason to choose him over D.Va in terms of dive tanks.

antitrop

What's good average healing as Ana? I'm playing a lot of her recently, I'm just under 9k average healing for Comp.
Mine is 13.4k in Competitive and 6.1k in Quick Play.

I've only played 15 games with her in Comp this season, though, so I have no idea if I could keep that up over a longer period of games played.

~10k seems about right.

Grief.exe

Winston's head hitbox is pretty damn big too, although it isn't in center mass and isn't glowing I guess.

I'm just sad for my boy Winston, before he was in a good little niche, not mandatory but he had his place. Now it seems there's little reason to choose him over D.Va in terms of dive tanks.

Blizzard has the raw data on this, but I'm sure that's one of the factors.

What's good average healing as Ana? I'm playing a lot of her recently, I'm just under 9k average healing for Comp.

Mine is 13.4k in Competitive and 6.1k in Quick Play.

I've only played 15 games with her in Comp this season, though, so I have no idea if I could keep that up over a longer period of games played.

~10k seems about right.

Sorting on Overbuff for Competitive, ~9K healing and 15 eliminations per match puts you in the top 10% of Ana play. I generally try to gauge my play based off of those numbers.

Anne

It varies a lot depending on what happens. I'd guess a good average is like 12k+? Idk, with Ana I don't worry about stats because depending on how a match goes you might spend a small amount of time healing.

antitrop

Sorting on Overbuff for Competitive, ~9K healing and 15 eliminations per match puts you in the top 10% of Ana play. I generally try to gauge my play based off of those numbers.

I only have 11 average elims, though, because as we talked about a few days ago, I use my grenades on my teammates a bit too often and fucking suck with weapon accuracy.

Also my nano boost timing is garbage.

But at least my healing is good. :p

DOWN

Banned
I got desperate and just bought 20 loot boxes for the first time ever and the only skin that showed up was McCree Scrooge four times which I already had so cool

I ended up spending my credits on Nutcracker. Only skin I couldn't get this event was Yeti and I really wanted it.

Grisby

My problem is that in Overwatch, more so than most online games I've played, I've still managed a ton of come from behind victories.

People should just stay.

SeanR1221

I got desperate and just bought 20 loot boxes for the first time ever and the only skin that showed up was McCree Scrooge four times which I already had so cool

I ended up spending my credits on Nutcracker. Only skin I couldn't get this event was Yeti and I really wanted it.

Ouch :( thats why I don't (and won't) buy boxes

I only have 11 average elims, though, because as we talked about a few days ago, I use my grenades on my teammates a bit too often and fucking suck with weapon accuracy.

Also my nano boost timing is garbage.

But at least my healing is good. :p

It shouldn't be you to decide that right?

I always wait for my teammates to use their ults and then I nanoboost them. They are in a much better position to decide when they want to use their ults, I hate when Ana decides to nanoboost me out of nowhere.

But sometimes I get the impression that they want me decide...

antitrop

It shouldn't be you to decide that right?

I always wait for my teammates to use their ults and then I nanoboost them. They are in a much better position to decide when they want to use their ults, I hate when Ana decides to nanoboost me out of nowhere.

But sometimes I get the impression that they want me decide...
I nano people that look like they're initiating a team fight, like when a Winston jumps in on the point or whatever. I also do it a lot to try to force initiations in teams that just won't fucking move past the choke.

People complain about that a lot, but I dunno, I feel like they would complain if I didn't nano them, too. I don't like playing Ana in Competitive.

I would really like to see some skins that don't have a 'theme' added to the game. Reinhardts Eichewalde skins and Oni Genji are the only ones that I can think of that we've gotten so far.

Some of the event skins that aren't obvious event skins are fine. Like Reaper's and Reinhardts Xmas and Halloween skins. Or even Ice Queen Pharah. But I've already moved on from Ghoul Ana, Frankenhog, and others. With Reindeer Hog, Santa Torb, etc. sure to follow soon. I like skins that works at all times of year.

They have to be incredible for me to keep them year round, Nutcracker Zen isn't going anywhere.

Top Bottom