• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

So I think I finally figured out how to play Sombra: intense aggressiveness. Seize medkits on your front line for your allies, pierce through to the other side, seize another medkit, preferably a bit behind where the action is, and then launch strikes against the non-tanks, or anyone isolated, timing it to when your allies are distracting them. Hit from all angles and always teleport back while you can. This makes her deadly, constantly pushes them off-balance, and can force a few of them away from the action as they hunt you down.

And then you move to the next medkit. If you're confronted by your medkit, fight! The enemy has little chance of beating you with all of those heals coming your way.

And her ult? Amazing against defenses. Go in from behind, pop it, and teleport back.
Biggest misconceptions in ow gaf right now:

Winston needs a buff.

Sombra is bad.

Symmetra is op.

I can't climb because I have a bad team every game.

Its like groundhog day in here. Btw Cappa who plays Reaper at 3500? Never see it tbh.

Shh, just let them buff Winston.

Winston needs a buff.

Sombra is bad.

Symmetra is op.

Its like groundhog day in here. Btw Cappa who plays Reaper at 3500? Never see it tbh.
Winston was good before but to keep up with all the other tanks now he either needs a buff or they need to look at the other tanks.

Sombra is bad yeah.

Kenai

All they need to fix on Sombra is her delay between being jumping out of invisibility and being able to actually do something imo. I can see wanting to give people time to react, but maybe at least reduce the delay on the hacking out of stealth?

She'll probably be better in general once the usual suspects contributing to the current tank meta get toned down some (this is a thing I know a lot of people skip over in any meta in any game), but if she's supposed to flank she shouldn't *always* have to set up as much as she does (all nearby health packs + beacon + stealth CDs windows) just to try to justify herself over Tracer.

I'm not always holding pro/tournmanet play up to some gold standard of balance, but I don't see her in any serious play at all.

Finally made it to Platinum (ended gold last season at 2443 and started 2100 this season) playing mostly Zen. Tried to focus on having fun and supporting my team and surviving more than getting cheeky peaks.

Xux

No Nutcracker skin; maybe next year. :/

I seem to be okay with Pharah. I kinda wanna get good with Winston and Mei, though, and Zarya and Ana are two of the cooler characters I've ever seen in anything.

I'll blog some more when I clock more than five days in.

Is it just me, or did people in general forget how to make a team comp between seasons 2 and 3? I keep getting stuck with teams featuring two snipers, or just one healer (usually a Zenyatta, who can not support a team by himself) and just 1 tank. Teams with 4 offense heroes (even when playing defense) have become a weird norm.

The 2/2/2 thing seemed to work pretty well but it feels like it's been abandoned by teams that lose quite often. I'd love to see the metadata on this.

no limits mode, someone picks attack bastion, another picks attack widow

gremlin_d_va_by_thisbecloud-danw6q2.jpg

mreddie

Wonderland is still going on, grind and get those last boxes.

Wonder what's coming January? I assume the Osiris map goes public.

Also, yeah, Watchpoint map needs a fix.

just survived every 3v3 round as soldier, complete with the winning round being me getting a double kill to win as the only person left

nice, nice

hopefully I don't run in to the mei glitch

just had a hog that seeminlgy didn't know how to hook squishies in 3v3 and would keep hooking d.va instead of ana or soldier

I steal hog from him in the last round, hook soldier and then shoot ana and we win the round

wow it's almost like when you hook the squishies you do better

ugh

mollipen

I'm not going to pretend like I'm a Rein expert, because I know here's "the big guy with the shield" and that's about as far as my concern goes. But I've had at least a few Reins lately that will protect us until like halfway to the point and then just go rocketing in after someone, leaving his entire team then totally vulnerable.

Am I right in thinking that's not how to play Rein? Or is that actually what players should be doing, and I need to be better about expecting him to do that at any minute? Had one competitive match where our Rein was doing that over and over and it was just driving me crazy.

Danj

I'm currently ranked 3206 with a season high of 3386. Anyone up for helping me get out of Elo hell and up to Grandmaster?

Ahahahahaha.

You have no idea what "elo hell" looks like. Try being rank 1300.

Though, things are much better this season as I've actually been able to go up from my initial placement instead of down.

Getting out of diamond is way harder than it was last season. Some of the people managed to get to these ranks while having absolutely no fundamental skills besides "good aim". :l

ricelord

there are alot of masters and grandmasters that throw games on their smurf accounts. so pretty much if you see someone not taking the game seriously thats going to be the main reason.

Zomba13

So I was doing Arcade stuff to get boxes before the event goes away and I get one with two legendaries! Except of course they are the ones I already have meaning I get 200 coins from 3000 coins skins. GG blizz. At least just dump them out as shit and not get me excited for stuff seeing two yellows fly up. Have dupes show up as baby shit green or something.

DOWN

Banned
Why do you get so few coins for duplicate legendary skins?? Like if you are screwing me out of a new legendary over and over, don't you think I should have been compensated enough after 5 of them to get one I actually want?

A buffed Winston would get rid of all the Widows I see in every single Quick Play match. Blizzard has my blessing to quadruple his damage, remove the cooldown on his shield and jump, give him laser-eyes, and whatever the fuck else it takes.

nah they'd still choose her

nothing will ever make people not pick the sexy blue sniper lady

Why do you get so few coins for duplicate legendary skins?? Like if you are screwing me out of a new legendary over and over, don't you think I should have been compensated enough after 5 of them to get one I actually want?

5 is enough for a legendary. Just not one from an event. Again, give it time, you've just started the game.

Blu(e)

You get 200 credits for legendary dupes. So getting 5 of them equals one legendary. It checks out

If you're talking about the Winter skins they always wanted events skins to be "special." They initially had it up to luck during the summer games but now have settled with them being triple the worth. It's not that bad but you have to be playing a lot and hoarding credit to be able to afford everything (if your luck is poor that is). Especially now since you don't get free levels when you get a promotion

Especially now since you don't get free levels when you get a promotion

20k for a level now, it used to be 22k for most levels. We actually get more boxes overall. I'm happy with the changes. I'd be okay with event skins not being purchasable even.

Getting out of diamond is way harder than it was last season. Some of the people managed to get to these ranks while having absolutely no fundamental skills besides "good aim". :l

I agree with people who have been saying here that most players have no idea how to play cohesively. Diamond used to mean top 10% of players, now it's top 25%... And it makes for a very messy experience overall.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

Winston needs a buff.

Sombra is bad.

Symmetra is op.

Nah, Sombra's gun is bad.

DOWN

Banned
5 is enough for a legendary. Just not one from an event. Again, give it time, you've just started the game.

You get 200 credits for legendary dupes. So getting 5 of them equals one legendary. It checks out

If you're talking about the Winter skins they always wanted events skins to be "special." They initially had it up to luck during the summer games but now have settled with them being triple the worth. It's not that bad but you have to be playing a lot and hoarding credit to be able to afford everything (if your luck is poor that is). Especially now since you don't get free levels when you get a promotion
I mean for winter

And I've been playing since the first couple weeks the game came out. Not everyone has the time or skill to be further along in credits and collectibles and that sucks when you want to indulge in events they promote.

Magwik

Banned
After matching with a great couple of dudes and teaming up for the next match the one empty slot is filled with some dude throwing the match. Whyyyyyy

What the flying fuck is going on with 3v3?

Not played it for ages. Just had 3 games. Both sides had a Mei who do fuck all but climb on their ice walls looking to glitch out of the map.

The fuck is this shit?

darklin0

Banned
I adore how everything thinks they know best about balance.

Blizzard just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about nerf and buff culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in League of Legends where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Overwatch, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the Overwatch community, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase loot boxes for any system, nor will they purchase any Christmas skins. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Blizz has alienated an entire market with this move.

Blizz, publicly apologize and cancel Soldier, Symmetra, and D.Va buffs or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Odrion

Banned
I adore how everything thinks they know best about balance.

all my issues with class balances so far has been echoed by blizzard so yeah I feel pretty fuckin' good about my insight

they need to nerf ana's healing grenade buff and redesign zenyatta's discord orb to function as a significant anti-tank ability (bring it's damage buff back to 50%, but change it's mechanic so that you can't just spam it), those two changes would impact the meta pretty hard imo

also buff lucio's healing back because all it did was make him less viable if your playing at a skill level where his speed boost isn't so heavily relied on

Top Bottom