• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Skii

Maybe not a buff to Winston but some changes.

If he did even just a smidge more damage or if his shield had either more health or a faster cool down he would be perfect. Any of those three.

As he stands right now he feels a bit too situational. I'm biased because I love playing him, but it is pretty obvious that Winston was balanced around having duplicate heroes.

If they actually fix Ana, Dva and Roadhog, it means that there will be more DPS characters which will mean more targets that Winston is good against. There will be a knock on effect all from balancing the 3 overpowered heroes this meta.

He does? He's not a hard counter but he has the advantage on 1v1.

Nah. McCree just flash bangs and Genji is dead. McCree is supposed to be the character that deals with all the other DPS. He's supposed to be the anti-flanker/DPS but unfortunately Roadhog fulfils a very similar role but has 600HP.

Grief.exe

Had no idea Afterburner did that...
Hmmm.

I really recommend doing it that way. I've had no failures thus far and it's very light weight.

I have it save the past 5 minutes to a file on my storage SSD.

Found a level 4 Widow with like 70-80% accuracy and knew all the sniping points on the map.

Why do people make smurf accounts?

They want to feel good for defeating an easy opponent as opposed to the grind of improving themselves against similarly weighted enemies.

DOWN

Banned
There's no skill required to get lootboxes. Just play enough. You said earlier that you're level 50ish. You're not supposed to get the loot you want at that point.

That's like saying, you want the best gear in a MMORPG regardless of your involvement with it.
You get more XP and therefore loot boxes if you perform better in QP.

And i disagree with the comparison. Cosmetic holiday items promoted for an event in a game praised for accessibility is not the same as MMORPG gear where your level affects your gameplay.

Jellie

Forgot to ask. WTF happened yesterday on Volskya. Their Pharah Rein and Mccree was dead and we had 10 seconds to defend and when I respawned half the team was died then the other 2 got killed by Pharah since she died pretty early and had time to respawn. What caused the first half to die?

Prelude.

Nah. McCree just flash bangs and Genji is dead. McCree is supposed to be the character that deals with all the other DPS. He's supposed to be the anti-flanker/DPS but unfortunately Roadhog fulfils a very similar role but has 600HP.
Genji has the upper hand from range, and from up close he can deflect the flashbang or just bait it, McCree can't do a lot against his mobility. The only dps that struggle against him are Tracer and Reaper.

pizzacat

Banned
For those who use oversumo is there a way to view it as overall stats and not per life

fcF8nxX.png

My directs are better than this ._.

You get more XP and therefore loot boxes if you perform better in QP.

Most of your XP is gotten through time played. You'll only get about 100-300 XP in total from gold medals and things such as that that require some skill.

I mean, I guess you get 1500 from your first win of the day, but that only applies once every 24 hours.

ElyrionX

Genji has the upper hand from range, and from up close he can deflect the flashbang or just bait it, McCree can't do a lot against his mobility. The only dps that struggle against him are Tracer and Reaper.

Ummm McCree is a hard counter to Genji if both players are of equivalent skill.

Wimps

Anyone else had a significant drop in competitive rank after the Symmetra update?

I was 3700, now I'm 3100 and lost like 15 games in a row..

Grief.exe

Christmas break was a terrible time for solo queue.

Nope, opposite for me was in 2600s preupdate and now in 3200s

Did you queue with 2-3 people? I could imagine that being an advantage during Christmas Break, for the same reasons solo queue was a nightmare.

Prelude.

Guess I'll grind through 9 wins since the event is still going.

Ummm McCree is a hard counter to Genji if both players are of equivalent skill.
I don't think so, McCree has to deal with damage falloff and Genji still has more utility in his kit. McCree's only ability to counter the Genji can be easily turned against him.

Meccs

I can't understand why people don't realize that there is no point to rush into 5 enemies alone if you died. It's always the same. All goes well and then a bunch of people die and from that point on they just feed the enemy because they are on separate spawn timers and rush in alone or in pairs. I mean it should be common sense to realize that there is no point in doing that. I've seen Reinhardt's going in with his shield but without anyone behind them because they just died.

I'm doing pretty well as Zenyatta with randoms if there is a second healer. Unfortunately people switch off of Lucio or Mercy if I select him. I don't think he is a good main healer though. Zenyatta is pretty awesome for solo queue since Discord can somewhat negate the "rushing in with just a few people" I described above.

Do you guys use Zenyatta as solo healer/support when you queue alone? I would like to play him more but feel Harmony can't really keep up with healing needed.

Edit: I play Quick Play since I just got the game last week (on PC).

Luigi87

I can't understand why people don't realize that there is no point to rush into 5 enemies alone if you died. It's always the same. All goes well and then a bunch of people die and from that point on they just feed the enemy because they are on separate spawn timers and rush in alone or in pairs. I mean it should be common sense to realize that there is no point in doing that. I've seen Reinhardt's going in with his shield but without anyone behind them because they just died.

Yeah this is a major issue that people largely fail to grasp, and then wonder how the enemy team gets their ults back so fast after they just used them. If one person is on their own, they are better off suiciding to spawn roughly with their team, or hide and wait so the enemy doesn't feed off them leading to another 5 vs 6 or worse.

Jellie

I'm doing pretty well as Zenyatta with randoms if there is a second healer. Unfortunately people switch off of Lucio or Mercy if I select him. I don't think he is a good main healer though. Zenyatta is pretty awesome for solo queue since Discord can somewhat negate the "rushing in with just a few people" I described above.

Do you guys use Zenyatta as solo healer/support when you queue alone? I would like to play him more but feel Harmony can't really keep up with healing needed.
He can't heal solo. He works best with squishies like tracer or genji. Stick harmony on them and then discord their targets. He can keep them topped up while helping them secure kills. He can't support tanks well unless they have their own sustain like roadhog or zarya. He's a good secondary healer.

Picking him is dependent on your team comp.

Are you talking about comp? Because if so your teammates are seriously dumb. In quick play though it's more frequent to have the widow/hanzo combo than a single healer, so it doesn't really matter.

Skii

Really don't think it was lol. In almost all of those clips, the McCree misses his shots. If the players are at the same level on each character, McCree should win every time. I'm personally not too scared as Genji against McCrees at my level because my Genji is better than my ranking but I've been put up against master players a lot in QP this season and their McCrees absolutely destroy my Genji. They know how to bait out reflect, they always land their shots meaning you can't even harass them.

I dunno, I feel like McCree is very good against all flankers and just generally against DPS.

Genji has more range but it's much harder to hit shurikens on McCree whilst it's easier for him to land shots. If the McCree is good, he can bait the reflect. I dunno man, the games where we've played and we've come up against masters/GM players, their McCrees kill my Genji instantly.

Forgot to ask. WTF happened yesterday on Volskya. Their Pharah Rein and Mccree was dead and we had 10 seconds to defend and when I respawned half the team was died then the other 2 got killed by Pharah since she died pretty early and had time to respawn. What caused the first half to die?

Defending 2nd point? I wholehog their Roadhog off the map on the left side near the health pack before hooking their Zenyatta and killing. I turn around as I realise the point is somehow being taken and I get flash banged and melted by McCree and Soldier who were coming back from spawn. I have no idea what happened on point.

Meccs

Not in comp, no.

Are you talking about comp? Because if so your teammates are seriously dumb. In quick play though it's more frequent to have the widow/hanzo combo than a single healer, so it doesn't really matter.

Nah, I only play Quick Play since I'm not even the required level to play comp. But still, people should realize that 1v6 isn't going to work. At least after failing a few times if they are not that quick........

Alucrid

Banned

flashbangs don't have to hit the target to work. throw it above the reflect

Nah, I only play Quick Play since I'm not even the required level to play comp. But still, people should realize that 1v6 isn't going to work. At least after failing a few times if they are not that quick........

Unfortunately that is very frequent, even in comp. It's extremely annoying when you want to attack as a team and are waiting to group up near the spawn and the kill-feed shows that your dps was picked because he went by himself.

Jellie

Defending 2nd point? I wholehog their Roadhog off the map on the left side near the health pack before hooking their Zenyatta and killing. I turn around as I realise the point is somehow being taken and I get flash banged and melted by McCree and Soldier who were coming back from spawn. I have no idea what happened on point.

I managed to record it and I'm still confused. Ana sniped pharah earlier. I pinned their reinhardt which you finished off. Their hog hooked me I earth shattered them all, had 1 HP left but projecetile hit me so I died. You killed the Mccree on the floor, then Ana sleep darted their ulting soldier and killed him. At this point I respawned so can't see whats going on. Killfeed says Hog killed you and soldier, Pharah killed Genji and Zen killed Ana. Pharah then killed Mercy and Soldier (rezzed by mercy) as I got to the point.
So they had a Pharah, Roadhog and Zen vs Ana, Mercy, Roadhog, Soldier (x2) and Genji and won?
EDIT: Now I got it. The mercy rezzed you and soldier before she and soldier died so everyone got staggered spawns. You were by the health pack and killed Hog and Zen before you died. Soldier, Mccree managed to get back to the point with Pharah and Reinhardt and took the point because of overtime.

maouvin

Aye. On Comp my teammates are usually smart enough to pick a second healer, so it's fine. If I end up being the solo healer (even when I go Lucio), most of the team will agree that we need one more.

On quick play nowadays I play whoever I want (as long as it somehow fits the team), so if I want to play Zen and end up being the solo healer... well, sometimes it works.

Mupod

I played Zenyatta a lot before he got buffed into being a real character and not a joke pick. I am almost a Zenyatta main these days, although I still think I'm better on Zarya. Oversumo says I'm a Master rating with Zen, which is clearly 100% true and accurate.

I mentioned my DPS Ana-playing friend earlier in this thread. He's getting better at actually healing people once in a while but I'm good enough at Zen that I can usually keep people going despite his trolling. The orb speed buff helped a lot and good situational awareness is my strength on all characters, it makes up for old man reflexes.

I wouldn't solo heal on him unless forced to. In which case if anyone has any complaints, then fuck em they can play support and help out. I don't enjoy the other supports at all anymore. I haven't played QP in a while and I'd imagine what you describe mainly happens there. But in competitive, dual support is absolutely the standard now. At least in the ratings I've been playing at. Outside of trolling or oversights, all my matches have had two. And that's why I've barely touched quick play lately.

I will say that healing people as Zenyatta is a secondary thing for me. Maintaining harmony orbs on the right people is something I barely need to think about and I kinda just do it instinctively now. I focus much more on keeping Discord up on the right targets, and picking people off with some well-placed balls (or nuts).

Transcendence is something you just need to get a feel for with experience. Sometimes you need it to win a teamfight, but if you blow it early when the enemy Zarya or Reinhardt has their ult up you'll regret it.

Ertai

I love playing Zenyatta but usually the team just takes too much damage for my orbs to keep them alive. Nevermind when they run out of my LoS and the orb falls of. Frustrating

I usually can play Zenyatta as a solo healer if it's defending a stationary point like on 2CP or hybrid maps. Mostly because your team is usually fairly easy to keep LOS for and I can get orbs to whoever needs them with minimal fuss.

But when you're attacking or the defense point is mobile, it gets harder to keep track of everyone as they're flanking or running around and I'm also having to defend myself so it's easier for me to forget about maintaining the healing orb.

caesar

Banned

Genji doesnt counter my McCree. :p

Honestly the dps that gives me trouble is soldier, the rest I don't really have a problem with.

Mupod

I usually can play Zenyatta as a solo healer if it's defending a stationary point like on 2CP or hybrid maps. Mostly because your team is usually fairly easy to keep LOS for and I can get orbs to whoever needs them with minimal fuss.

But when you're attacking or the defense point is mobile, it gets harder to keep track of everyone as they're flanking or running around and I'm also having to defend myself so it's easier for me to forget about maintaining the healing orb.

I do feel like Zenyatta's nature makes him good for staying out of sight and keeping spread out people topped-off on defense, but the problem comes with the sheer amount of healing needed to keep everyone alive when they are pushing. Same with KOTH - I'm at my best when I can comfortably hide away from the control point and heal my allies while killing people who are distracted by the fighting. Transcendence is an amazing trump card for both modes, but he still works better with an Ana or Lucio running around.

I underestimated him on Attack early on. Getting a discord headshot on someone can turn the tide. I'm generally humping Reinhardt's leg and constantly throwing out balls fishing for a kill or two.

finalflame

Don't know about QP, but Zenyatta is definitely not enough healing as a solo healer unless the enemy team is entirely incompetent. He lacks a very important trait: burst healing. If a teammate comes under heavy fire or is getting focused/burst down by, say, a Soldier or McCree, Zenyatta's orbs will never be sufficient to keep them alive.

Same applies to Lucio. He is a good healer, great even, with his speed boost's utility and Amp, but his gradual healing just isn't enough to carry an entire team alive versus a competent adversary. You need a Mercy or Ana on your team for your greatest chance at success. A very competent Ana or a Mercy when constantly in close quarters might be sometimes sufficient as a solo healer, but honestly, I never suggest running a single healer.

finalflame

Just ordered a 144hz monitor, am I doing it right?

Soon you'll want a 240hz monitor, like yours truly :) Went from 144 to 165 to 240, and it's impossible to go back.

Yeah, I've had one for a few months now and I'm still consistently impressed how smooth it looks when I boot up Overwatch.

I forget what 60fps even looks like.

Clunky and trash. Overwatch is one of the few games I can honestly say greatly benefits at every FPS increase. The difference gets less dramatic above 144hz, but it's still noticeable.

Skii

Yeah, I've had one for a few months now and I'm still consistently impressed how smooth it looks when I boot up Overwatch.

60fps looks like 30fps now. I'm genuinely scared to even boot up Bloodborne after playing 144fps lol.

Grief.exe

Just ordered a 144hz monitor, am I doing it right?

Soon you'll want a 240hz monitor, like yours truly :) Went from 144 to 165 to 240, and it's impossible to go back.

Clunky and trash. Overwatch is one of the few games I can honestly say greatly benefits at every FPS increase. The difference gets less dramatic above 144hz, but it's still noticeable.

60fps looks like 30fps now. I'm genuinely scared to even boot up Bloodborne after playing 144fps lol.

Praise

🙏🙏🙏🙏

Plesiades

Kinda reminds me of Asgard, from GAF's favorite movie, Thor: The Dark World.

Did you say THOR: THE DARK WORLD?

It doesn't seem that they changed the placement of the Jump Pad. I didn't play too much of Oasis, but it felt like an afterthought. People will find a way to use effectively.

Zakalwe

Banned
Anyone on ps4 hanging out in QP?

I'm only level 12, and I know this is easy mode in comparison to comp, but I'm doing pretty well.

I'd love to team up if anyone's interested. Psn: astropoff

My reflexes aren't what they used to be, but my experience with FPS is solid (pro gaming background in my youth).

Current favourites: Zen and Soldier.

I know these will drop when I start meeting better players, but I'm really excited about testing my abilities.

Top Bottom