• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

I heard Zarya wanting to establish world peace, and Reinhardt continuing to fight for justice, as well.

Edit: And DVa's resolution is to catch up on all the games she wants to play. Good luck with that.

Yo my gal wants world peace? That's what's up.

Zarya is the GOAT.

*Edit* Top of the page and I don't give a fuck Zarya is MY WAIFU.

Blues1990

I heard Zarya wanting to establish world peace, and Reinhardt continuing to fight for justice, as well.

Edit: And DVa's resolution is to catch up on all the games she wants to play. Good luck with that.

Winston wants to eat more bananas, less peanut butter.

I think D.Va says something among the lines of playing more video games. What a surprise.

Yeah, that doesn't surprise me in the slightest for D.Va. It's cool that Reinhardt is pretty set with what he wants to do.

And Soldier: 76 has one: "It's been ages since I made a resolution."

MG310

Jeez, can't even reliably count on someone picking a D.Va in solo queue right now.

4 immediate picks, none of which are tanks or healers.

Did anyone else get booted from the servers on ps4? I was finally doing pretty good after a bunch of rough games :(. Maybe the Oasis update or something?

rulerk1

these matches where neither team has a healer are so dumb but man are they fun. Sometimes you just have let yourself be consumed by the foolishness.

I would love them more if only these Sombras knew she could hack health packs....

TheYanger

I know, but I don't know anyone who plays HotS lol (I've never played it myself either)

It should still be active until tomorrow? The '1 day left' ad on my launcher didn't show until today.

Just friend invite someone in a game and go to town. it'll take a few hours vs beginner bots to just stomp.

I know, but I don't know anyone who plays HotS lol (I've never played it myself either)

There was plenty of people here and on the GAF Discord that were playing when the challenge came up, and even then you could've just played with randoms (I'm sure there was more activity for the Nexus challenge in the last couple days).

I have still never intentionally picked Genji or Hanzo.

Only play them when required to by mystery heroes and 1v1s.

It's out of principle. Enough people main them already.

pizzacat

Banned
just lost 40 points for a match where 4 of my teammates left and the only one that reamined was a junkrat that autolocked him

he never played junkrat before that match either

Jellie

Been practicing my Reinhardt in anticipation of the Ana nerfs.

up9CsIU.gif

y9FJ8MP.gif

DphVDjd.gif

Bonus clip that didn't even get a highlight but was the best play I did all night by far.

woolley

Got the kicked and then shown the diablo update. With a bunch of stuff popping up looking like loot boxes but just said "0X0000000000000000" or something like that. Is it a reference to something or just probably a bug?

Sullichin

Got the kicked and then shown the diablo update. With a bunch of stuff popping up looking like loot boxes but just said "0X0000000000000000" or something like that. Is it a reference to something or just probably a bug?

You get free sprays and player icons, and the unlocks show one by one. Looks like the interface was popping up before those referenced items existed for you somehow.

woolley

You get free sprays and player icons, and the unlocks show one by one. Looks like the interface was popping up before those referenced items existed for you somehow.

I checked and didn't see anything new. I guess I'll wait a while and check again for anything.

Nimby

Banned
So remember how Zarya could exploit charge off the Oasis cars in PTR. Still isn't fixed, first thing I did when I tried out the stage.

It was brought to their attention multiple times.

Long post incoming... I can't keep up with this OT nearly as much as I want to so I want to throw a bunch of stuff in one post :p

First, I'm a platinum Xbox One player, hovering around ~2750 after starting this season at 2149 (which was low, but not unexpected based on Blizz's commentary on their skill ranking changes). I primarily solo queue for competitive. Because of that, I firmly believe in sticking with my best character in each of the four categories in most scenarios. I feel that I help the team more playing a character I'm generally decent with than swapping solely to fill a role. For example, D.Va is one of my mains and I'm terrible with Reinhardt. I don't see that the value of me switching to Rein and playing poorly. I know a lot of it is situational and as I've climbed from low gold to mid plat, I've actually been encountering significantly more players with mics and players that are willing to have multiple team members switch mid-match to end up with a comp that all team members are comfortable with their role. With this mindset and rolling with the punches of wins, losses, occasional toxicity, I've been having a great time with competitive and have remained hooked on it since season 1.

However, last night was my first game that I got hatemail from someone on my team, and for some reason it's really been bothering me. I can't really figure out why, as I've received plenty of hatemail over my years of online gaming. Some of it's deserved (yeah, going 5-15 in a ranked match of slayer on Halo on a bad day has garnered some more understandable frustrating messages), some is unfounded or just salt. But this one has really stuck with me...

I got teamed up with a 5-stack on King's Row. I wait for a bit at the character select screen to see how their picks go. A couple supports are picked, and then the remaining members of the stack are clearly waiting to see who I go for. I pick D.Va, and the team fills out with a Zarya and some DPS, no Reinhardt. So, I'm the main tank of the group, my plan being to stick with Zarya to help her build charge and combo with her ult. With a 2-tank, 2-attack, 2-support comp I'm expecting to end up out of my mech more often than in 3-tank comps or comps with a Rein, simply because there will be more pressure on me as one of fewer tanks in the group. I have my mic on, I'm in team chat and am hoping the 5-stack joins the team chat for easier teamwork. They don't, and I'm stuck using the command wheel to communicate the best I can. I call out every time I get my ult, hoping for the Zarya to acknowledge/call out when she nearly has her ult for comboing up. They don't use any communication at all, and we end up losing in a pretty close fight. Some keys here, though, are that the opposing team had a Rein and Mei, both of which obviously have an easy time countering my ult and that they also have a Soldier and McCree, both of which have ults I always need to be ready to counter as D.Va. I countered nearly every Soldier and McCree ult, but am only able to successfully combo with the Zarya ult one time. I do use my ult unsuccessfully a few times because it is blocked off by a Mei wall or Rein shield.

As soon as the game ends I get a "you are trash every dva ult was wasted almost" message from the Zarya. Tame in terms of Xbox Live messages, but it irked me so much because I did everything that I could as a solo player that wasn't able to voice chat with my team because they chose to stay in a party. I made the mistake of trying to reason with him by saying I was calling out my ult and there were two easy ult counters on the other team, but that obviously went nowhere. Reading all of this back, I can't believe I got so worked up over such a lame message, especially since I always approach games with a "try your best to win, but if we lose, we lose" attitude.

But anyways, I'll end with some questions to make sure I'm approaching competitive the right way.

1. What are some of your guys' stances on picking characters you are comfortable with versus picking the character that is perfectly meta? I feel at platinum/average skill level it's usually more beneficial to play someone you are better with, with the exception of ensuring your team has adequate healing.

2. Any tips on tanking as D.Va without a Rein? If we have a Zarya I usually just make sure I'm in her LoS so she can shield me as I soak up some damage and try to escape for a second or two to let my defense matrix recharge and then rinse and repeat. I do still always make sure to keep note of where the opponent's ulting characters are.

3. Lastly, D.Va's ult. I know it combines super well with Zarya and Rein's ults, so I constantly check the scoreboard to see when my team has them to get ready to use mine, especially on teams with poor communication. On teams where it's just not clicking though, I never know when to use it. I've accepted that it's easily counter-able and easy to escape from, except for rare occasions when I can launch the mech in from a distance to catch the other team off guard. I usually try to just end up getting booted out of my mech on the payload/cap point as a way of crowd control, but I'm not sure if that's the best use.

Uhh I just logged in and got some notification about celebrating Diablo's 20th anniversary with unique sprays and an icon. Then I got about 10 super weirdly named loot boxes that don't exist. Anyone else get this?

TrueBlue

I think I just head D.Va ask Soldier 76 if life is a game, or something like that. New interactions in addition to the new years resolutions?

Top Bottom