• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Cappa

Banned
Secondly, the line-of-sight check to see if a hook should connect or not is now checked from Roadhog's position, instead of the hook's position. This basically means the hook can't connect to targets that Roadhog himself can't see.

Lastly, there is a new persistent line-of-sight check back to Roadhog once the hook has landed. If this check fails, the hook breaks off and returns to Roadhog. This means if you get hooked and move out of LOS quickly (either you dashed, were falling, were pushed, etc), the hook will now break early and not pull the target.

I think theyll get Roadhog right if these two things work as they say it should work. Being hooked when you were already around the corner and completely out of Roadhogs LOS is completely frustrating.

I don't like Oasis. It feels like Maps are way too large for a CP game type.
It's still early, I like how some aspects are new to a control map but overall it feels like only the area around the point gets any usage

Again though it's early, I think it'll grow on me

Were there any changes to the live game besides the Diablo stuff and oasis? I swear those little arrows underneath player icons in the hero tab weren't there before.

Meccs

Here is a funny thing: I can not watch any Overwatch videos without getting motion sick after just a few minutes. I can play the game for 5+ hours without issues yet watching videos knocks me out. I normally don't have issues with motion sickness (except for reading in a driving car) so I don't know what the problem is. Maybe most videos have lower FoV? I don't know. I wanted to watch some guides/tips but that's basically impossible lol

moerser

I swear those little arrows underneath player icons in the hero tab weren't there before.
what arrows? do you mean those arrows pointing downwards inside a circle? those open a context menu where you can block people, add them as friends, inspect them.

what arrows? do you mean those arrows pointing downwards inside a circle? those open a context menu where you can block people, add them as friends, inspect them.
Huh well they're on ps4 now and I don't even know how to access them, I think they're pc only and got in the console version by mistake?

Cappa

Banned
Oasis is a nightmare for Reins. Might as well be an open field.

Our team was down 0-2 last night, when we went 0-2 our comp was Hog/DVA/S76/Genji/Ana(Me), Lucio, we all switched and ended up going with 3 Tanks Rein, DVA(me), Hog/Zarya, Ana, Lucio, and S76.

We proceeded to go 3-0, win the game, and our Rein ended up with gold medal in eliminations with 68. I think Rein is fantastic for this map.

Huh well they're on ps4 now and I don't even know how to access them, I think they're pc only and got in the console version by mistake?

On the overwatch forums, some people are saying that its Blizzard slowly implementing things that are on PC onto consoles
to make all "platforms equal."

Dont know how realistic it will be, but some people seem to be pretty adamant about it so who knows.

Cappa

Banned
also, heroes now saying their new years resolution is pretty cool... Ive only heard

DVA "My New Years resolution? To catch up on all those video games I didn't play"

Mei "My new year's resolution? Hmm... I could do a better job controlling my temper."

Woowwww, played a game as sombra because I found out about her boop voice line, got 15 enemies hacked without dying on oasis but it didn't count because it was in Arcade.

:/

darklin0

Banned
It's still early, I like how some aspects are new to a control map but overall it feels like only the area around the point gets any usage

Again though it's early, I think it'll grow on me

I agree. It just feels everything outside the CP area is a waste.

If the CP moved around those areas though? Could of been fun.

I had my worst ever evening on Overwatch last night. Started off by getting our Arses kicked on a 3v3 which we are normally pretty good at. I could deal with that but then started playing competitive and I got disconnected due to a network issue. Then had a message saying the servers were being maintained and to restart the game. Restarted and was told I had an 8 minute ban and appeared to have lost a huge amount of SR when trying to return to the game that I lost connection too.

Then none of us could join because I guess the patch was pushing out. we all came back about an hour later and got put in games with some of the worst randoms I've ever played with and lost like 4 competitive matches.

Ended up plummeting like 200+ SR and decided to give up

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Eichenwalde defence with tobj is great tho.

Oh I've definitely won games with a torb before, but I always feel like it's more on the other team being super unco.

Heck, I even lost once having a torb on eichenwilde defence against an attack torb.

That was a special match.

Oh yes.

Musician

gRULRIQ.jpg

So.. that happened!

Guess they're never gonna buff her now :(

Grief.exe

Here is a funny thing: I can not watch any Overwatch videos without getting motion sick after just a few minutes. I can play the game for 5+ hours without issues yet watching videos knocks me out. I normally don't have issues with motion sickness (except for reading in a driving car) so I don't know what the problem is. Maybe most videos have lower FoV? I don't know. I wanted to watch some guides/tips but that's basically impossible lol

Overwatch's FOV is terrible even at max. You're likely find when you're playing, but watching someone else without control causes issues.

Try watching from your phone. Since it's not taking up your entire peripheral vision it shouldn't cause any issues.

JackEtc

Is the current meta really that Mercy is a trash character?

I played a ton of Overwatch, but stopped around septemberish maybe? Definitely pre-Ana (since then I've played one or two games to try her out I think), like a few weeks into competitive maybe. Like 95% of my time played was with Mercy. Looking to get back into the game and trying to catch up on the updates and everything...Mercy really gets like no usage? Ana is the go to support now?

=\

Jellie

I played a ton of Overwatch, but stopped around septemberish maybe? Definitely pre-Ana (since then I've played one or two games to try her out I think), like a few weeks into competitive maybe. Like 95% of my time played was with Mercy. Looking to get back into the game and trying to catch up on the updates and everything...Mercy really gets like no usage? Ana is the go to support now?

=\

Yup
1lUXlqJA373.jpg

Latest usage chart by pros. Note that doesn't apply as much the lower level you play at.

JackEtc

Yup
https://www.overbuff.com/blobs/1lUXlqJA373.jpg [IMG]

Latest usage chart by pros. Note that doesn't apply as much the lower level you play at.[/QUOTE]

I saw that, that's what caused me to post.

I should mention I play on PS4, I imagine having less precision with a controller makes a difference in usage (and I guess just answers your question right of the bat of what skill level I'm playing at haha)

Blues1990

=\

From my experience, Mercy's biggest weakness is that every other support hero can multitask or focus on multiple targets with ease, while Mercy is the only one who can't without getting her wings clipped. Then there's the fact that Ana is the better burst healer by a large margin, and even though not a "healer", Symmetra's turrets are solid. Her new shield is an amazing Reinhardt-lite barrier. Shield generator is PHENOMENAL as it can prevent many deaths, especially for the likes of your speedy flankers (Genji and/or Tracer). Symmetra's teleporter acts as a "Resurrection over time", in that it shortens the time to get back into battle.

Now don't get me wrong. If you are good with Mercy, and it's working and you are winning, then by all means, keep picking her.

Blues1990

With regards to Roadhog's new hook changes that are in the PTR, does also means the Roadhog's own team can interrupt his hooks?

A poorly timed hit from Sound Wave, Concussive Blast, Concussion Mine, Ice Wall, D.Va's Boosters, even the knockback from Winston's jump could push somebody into cover and break LOS.

Cappa

Banned
With regards to Roadhog's new hook changes that are in the PTR, does also means the Roadhog's own team can interrupt his hooks?

A poorly timed hit from Sound Wave, Concussive Blast, Concussion Mine, Ice Wall, D.Va's Boosters, even the knockback from Winston's jump could push somebody into cover and break LOS.

No reason why it shouldnt... as someone who plays a lot of Mei, I cant tell you how many times an opposing player was saved by a Lucio on my team because he booped the enemy away before I could freeze them.

I just found out I am #748 Winston in competitive (EU I guess).

Bring on the buff!

Is that Overbuff? Its "worldwide" rank, I dont think hero rank is broken down by regions, only by platforms. Im the #177 Mei right now out of 10,873

Mupod

I feel that a lot of people call "bullshit hooks" just because the rope clips through the enviroment sometimes.

I mean, I've only got a few hours on Roadhog but it's mostly a case of landing a clean hook on your end when their character is diving behind a bus or a wall or whatever. Netcode isn't perfect so it ends up looking like they just got dragged through a solid object. I don't see how this will be anything but a huge nerf to Roadhog assuming it works the way they say. Having a hooked enemy player dropped in front of me in a weird spot is a much rarer occurrence than grabbing someone who is strafing in and out of cover. Hopefully it's not that big a deal because I've been picking him more often recently and having fun grabbing people in weird ways. Like that Pharah I grabbed through the gate window on Hanamura.

Also not totally related but I once hooked someone at the same time they ragequit the match, the hook extended to infinity and persisted in the level until someone killed me.

Chance

From my experience, Mercy's biggest weakness is that every other support hero can multitask or focus on multiple targets with ease, while Mercy is the only one who can't without getting her wings clipped. Then there's the fact that Ana is the better burst healer by a large margin, and even though not a "healer", Symmetra's turrets are solid. Her new shield is an amazing Reinhardt-lite barrier. Shield generator is PHENOMENAL as it can prevent many deaths, especially for the likes of your speedy flankers (Genji and/or Tracer). Symmetra's teleporter acts as a "Resurrection over time", in that it shortens the time to get back into battle.

Now don't get me wrong. If you are good with Mercy, and it's working and you are winning, then by all means, keep picking her.

Yuppp. I still have a ton of success and a lot of fun with her. If she works for you, don't pay meta mentions too much mind.

JackEtc

Thanks for the input on Mercy yall!

Yuppp. I still have a ton of success and a lot of fun with her. If she works for you, don't pay meta mentions too much mind.

True. I'm definitely far and away the best with her compared to other characters, I played her and her only pretty much and was very very good and maneuvering and balancing who needs heals/who needs damage buffs. I was averaging 10k+ healing and like 9-10 revives a game if I remember correctly....whatever the stats were they were good haha. If she's been improved then I guess it can only make me better (as long as my skill hasn't deteriorated too much lol)

Paltheos

I'm a little anxious about the Roadhog changes. I think some change was called for but nothing enormous. The hook has not been as bullshit as people have been calling it. We'll see how it actually shakes out.

Chuck

Still without luck
I should have posted this a few days ago, but I can't get over how tall Junkrat is. Somehow I missed the fact that he's taller than almost everyone ._.

Fancolors

I'm a little anxious about the Roadhog changes. I think some change was called for but nothing enormous. The hook has not been as bullshit as people have been calling it. We'll see how it actually shakes out.

Depends largely on connection. I rarely have bullshit hooks happening to me when I'm playing at 15 ms ping, but it seriously starts becoming a problem at 70+ and is a nightmare to deal with at 100+.

I would prefer if they nerfed his CD by 1-2 seconds instead tho.

Cappa

Banned

Ive seen Hog kill cams in which from his POV, I am already physically behind a wall by the time he even release his hook. It could be lag, it may not be but I do think there are certain times where Hogs hooks are too good to be true.

I really hope this doesnt make Hog much worse hero pick but something needed to be done.

I feel that a lot of people call "bullshit hooks" just because the rope clips through the enviroment sometimes.

I mean, I've only got a few hours on Roadhog but it's mostly a case of landing a clean hook on your end when their character is diving behind a bus or a wall or whatever. Netcode isn't perfect so it ends up looking like they just got dragged through a solid object. I don't see how this will be anything but a huge nerf to Roadhog assuming it works the way they say. Having a hooked enemy player dropped in front of me in a weird spot is a much rarer occurrence than grabbing someone who is strafing in and out of cover. Hopefully it's not that big a deal because I've been picking him more often recently and having fun grabbing people in weird ways. Like that Pharah I grabbed through the gate window on Hanamura.

Also not totally related but I once hooked someone at the same time they ragequit the match, the hook extended to infinity and persisted in the level until someone killed me.

People call Bullshit hooks because of the way the hook graphically presents itself.

Imagine you are standing over a fence, and only your head is peaking over the top. Roadhog throwns a hook at your head, and because it makes contact with your hitbox, you are now succesfully hooked.

Except what the hook does is after it makes contact with a hitbox, the hook instantly re-positions itself to that character's center mass. So now, you have visual graphic of a hook going straight through a fence into the gut of the character. But this doesn't make sense to you, because your gut couldn't possibly have been target-able, as it was behind a solid object.

You see this happen a lot on ledges. Things like hooking widow by her hair, or Pharah by her wings. They're all part of that characters hitbox, but players have a hard time understanding that.

Combine that with a small amount of lag, and you've got a recipe for complaints.

Top Bottom