• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Skii

I'm a little anxious about the Roadhog changes. I think some change was called for but nothing enormous. The hook has not been as bullshit as people have been calling it. We'll see how it actually shakes out.

If anything, these nerfs to Roadhog aren't even enough. We need to see the CD increased to 9-10 seconds so there is actual room to pressure a Roadhog when he misses a hook. It's extremely difficult for anything but Dva to pressure him before he hooks and kills you.

I really feel like people don't appreciate that his hook does 2 fight defining things at the same time. It either kills you or takes you so far out of position that you're dead.

Musician

5 Gold Medals is a farce, anyway, It means your team doesn't have a healer, so of course everyone got rekt.

Unless you get 5 Gold as Zenyatta or something like that.

It's not the medals I'm showing, it's the legendary card as Sombra. Ten votes! I doubt there's been a lot of those since her introduction. I know it doesn't mean much either, I just thought it would be fun to share.

"I guess they wont buff her" was meant to be a quip about how blizzard wants to wait and see how people do with her after "mastering" her before giving her any buffs. Someone said something to the effect of "you better hope blizzard doesn't see that or they'll think she's balanced."

I know my team was trash. I was doing decently, nothing more. Didn't think people would react so negatively.

5 Gold Medals is a farce, anyway, It means your team doesn't have a healer, so of course everyone got rekt.

Unless you get 5 Gold as Zenyatta or something like that.

Medals are always context to your specific comp, and the fluctuations of said comp.

As a Roadhog, 4 gold Medals isn't uncommon for me, but I know if sporting five, it's not a credit to me, but either a flaw with our healers, or a result that some players may have switched roles during the match.

As a Hog main, I welcome the changes. Its a nerf, but the fact that the target will move in front of you is a nice touch. Kinda bullshit when you hook and the target ends up in a wonky place and you miss your shot.

antitrop

It's not the medals I'm showing, it's the legendary card as Sombra. Ten votes! I doubt there's been a lot of those since her introduction. I know it doesn't mean much either, I just thought it would be fun to share.

"I guess they wont buff her" was meant to be a quip about how blizzard wants to wait and see how people do with her after "mastering" her before giving her any buffs. Someone said something to the effect of "you better hope blizzard doesn't see that or they'll think she's balanced."

I know my team was trash. I was doing decently, nothing more. Didn't think people would react so negatively.

Sorry, that's not how I meant to come across. I just think it's frustrating when a team has like 5 DPS or whatever and the ones that know they're not doing anything would rather just wait for a Defeat than bother switching to Support.

The Legendary vote is pretty cool, I've only seen maybe 2 or 3 in the 700 hours I've played.

Grief.exe

As a Hog main, I welcome the changes. Its a nerf, but the fact that the target will move in front of you is a nice touch. Kinda bullshit when you hook and the target ends up in a wonky place and you miss your shot.

Hooking Genji is always hit or miss since he keeps his momentum out of the hook.

Sorry, that's not how I meant to come across. I just think it's frustrating when a team has like 5 DPS or whatever and the ones that know they're not doing anything would rather just wait for a Defeat than bother switching to Support.

The quick play life.

antitrop

Hooking Genji is always hit or miss since he keeps his momentum out of the hook.

Same with a speed boosting Lucio. I'll never forget getting cussed out by a teammate in Season 1 for missing my shot on a Lucio I hooked, when the hook dropped him like way off to the side of me. And I was playing on PS4, so it would have taken like half an hour to turn around and hit him.

So I found out my nephew plays this over the holidays and he tried to give me a piece of advice as a roadhog.

According to him, if you hook someone that you know you can't 1HKO, it's better to use your alt-fire after the hook, instead of the close up primary.

Any truth to this? How does the math work on this?

antitrop

So I found out my nephew plays this over the holidays and he tried to give me a piece of advice as a roadhog.

According to him, if you hook someone that you know you can't 1HKO, it's better to use your alt-fire after the hook, instead of the close up primary.

The alt-fire projectile does 50 damage if it hits a target before exploding, so I don't see how it would be.

No.

The only thing I can think of is maybe a genji is somehow doing a 180 and swift striking farther away from hog instead of striking towards and behind him.

Apathy

People call Bullshit hooks because of the way the hook graphically presents itself.

Imagine you are standing over a fence, and only your head is peaking over the top. Roadhog throwns a hook at your head, and because it makes contact with your hitbox, you are now succesfully hooked.

Except what the hook does is after it makes contact with a hitbox, the hook instantly re-positions itself to that character's center mass. So now, you have visual graphic of a hook going straight through a fence into the gut of the character. But this doesn't make sense to you, because your gut couldn't possibly have been target-able, as it was behind a solid object.

You see this happen a lot on ledges. Things like hooking widow by her hair, or Pharah by her wings. They're all part of that characters hitbox, but players have a hard time understanding that.

Combine that with a small amount of lag, and you've got a recipe for complaints.

This is what people that don't play hog don't understand. They think every hook is bullshit because it recenters. If the hook actually showed where it landed like say the head, they wouldn't be able to complain. Dealing with a widow perched up is over I guess. Like I said earlier the first two changes, fine, whatever, the last change is a complete joke. If I earned a hook, it should not break because someone ran behind cover after the hit.

Yeah that doesn't make sense

antitrop

Huh well they're on ps4 now and I don't even know how to access them, I think they're pc only and got in the console version by mistake?

Wouldn't be the first time. At launch, the console versions used the PC version's group invite text box and asked for a Y or N input... on a controller.

Nimby

Banned
I feel like everytime torb comes out in a pro match it's an auto lose for the torb team.

I feel the same way with Sym, unless your Envy. You can't afford picks with a Sym/Torb defense, because unless the other team is bad or you have a god on your team, someone getting picked means you lost the first point, and using those heroes past a first-point is still taboo right now. Roadhog makes that super easy.

I think Envyus had the right idea with Sym. No Torb, run a Soldier because you need his damage. But to be fair, InternetHulk is on another level with Symmetra compared to anyone else I've seen play her. Every time Symmetra was picked at WP, the defending team lost before shield generator could even come into play, and I think the only teams to actually use her were Renegades and compLexity both on Hollywood.

Maybe when tank meta dies out she will be a lot better, that could probably be said for a lot of heroes though.

Grief.exe

I think he's confusing the max damage output.

If you are hooking someone with >200 health, you right click - hook - left click - melee combo should kill them.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
mhmh who's Doomfist?

EDIT: New hero tease? After Sombra i dont want any more teasing V__V

antitrop

mhmh who's Doomfist?

EDIT: New hero tease? After Sombra i dont want any more teasing V__V

kJxm8in.png

Those posters are in the Numbani defense far spawn and the payload on Numbani is the actual Doomfist gauntlet.

pbJXWbv.png

People call Bullshit hooks because of the way the hook graphically presents itself.

Imagine you are standing over a fence, and only your head is peaking over the top. Roadhog throwns a hook at your head, and because it makes contact with your hitbox, you are now succesfully hooked.

Except what the hook does is after it makes contact with a hitbox, the hook instantly re-positions itself to that character's center mass. So now, you have visual graphic of a hook going straight through a fence into the gut of the character. But this doesn't make sense to you, because your gut couldn't possibly have been target-able, as it was behind a solid object.

You see this happen a lot on ledges. Things like hooking widow by her hair, or Pharah by her wings. They're all part of that characters hitbox, but players have a hard time understanding that.

Combine that with a small amount of lag, and you've got a recipe for complaints.
Yeah, I just hope they manage to put it in a good spot. If it doesn't mess it up they could even look at increasing the hook cooldown by a second or two.

While I would love him to be doomfist I also hope that he would still be able to go to many of the cons with the other VAs - which he might be a little too big for. I loved that video of them all together from Blizzcon this year :)

I-hate-u

I have been thinking Doomfist is next for a while now, but that Oasis maps makes me think we are going to get an Arab scientist next as our 24th hero.

Blues1990

I have been thinking Doomfist is next for a while now, but that Oasis maps makes me think we are going to get an Arab scientist next as our 24th hero.

I personally hope they will create a new Support Hero that doesn't involve healing, partially so they can get people to shut up about Symmetra not being a Defense Hero.

There are a bazillion different things they can do, with regards to creating a character that can support the team, such as a support hero that can summon nano bots to create shields, placing AOE zones that can lower damage output, prevent ult charging, increase reload time, etc.

I-hate-u

Idk, with Ana being from the Middle East I think they might go somewhere else first.

Well the way I see it, every map so far in the game ties to at least 1 or more hero except for Oasis, Numbani (Doomfist) and Illios.

I think the next hero is either Arabic, Greek or an Omnic.

I personally hope they will create a new Support Hero that doesn't involve healing, partially so they can get people to shut up about Symmetra not being a Defense Hero.

There are a bazillion different things they can do, with regards to creating a character that can support the team, such as a support hero that can summon nano bots to create shields, placing AOE zones that can lower damage output, prevent ult charging, increase reload time, etc.

We already got support/assualt, so the new character is defense or tank (most likely). I guarantee you though the next support character will be a speed oriented character that doesn't heal.

For the next support hero I'm thinking something related to speed would be cool. Imagine a zenyatta like character who could speed up an ally and slowdown an opponent or something along those lines.

Well the way I see it, every map so far in the game ties to at least 1 or more hero except for Oasis, Numbani (Doomfist) and Illios.

I think the next hero is either Arabic, Greek or an Omnic

I've been playing this game for months and I still have no idea what an Omnic is 💀

Why isn't Torb a support hero then? He can support teammates by creating armor packs after all.

Sym belongs in defense if only so randoms in qp don't think sym is enough for support.

Kito

Why isn't Torb a support hero then? He can support teammates by creating armor packs after all.

Sym belongs in defense if only so randoms in qp don't think sym is enough for support.

One could argue the classes are based on ultimate ability type. Nonsupport ults do damage (even things like Blizzard, Earthshatter, and Graviton do a little damage (EMP too, if the enemy have shields)) whereas support ults do zero.

ZangBa

Roadhog is in my top 5 played and I definitely agree with these changes. It's nice they are making it more consistent so people don't end up behind me so often. The LoS changes make sense, I get so many bullshit hooks myself.

I'm wondering if we're going to get another character before May. I feel like Blizzard might go big for the one year anniversary and release a couple characters and new maps/skins as a large update. But that would mean we don't get a lot of content between then and now - I'd expect some sort of spring event? There aren't a lot of holidays between now and summer, so what other kinds of events could they do? An April Fools event maybe, where everyone gets skins based on other characters? I.E. Pharah gets a Junkrat themed skin, Junkrat gets a D.Va skin, etc.

Just spitballing as I wonder what to expect.

Think I'm done with comp until at least some changes. I can't climb out of Platinum, it's literally impossible solo. Every other match there's someone who troll picks or won't change regardless how poorly their attack Symm or whatever is working out.

Of course there's also the possibility that I'm just plan too bad to get out of platinum, but either way, it's no fun right now. The game's got some issues, notably that the meta is so rigid that you HAVE to stick to certain types of composition because otherwise you're just gonna lose, but people are not willing enough to change. It just doesn't mesh with the "pick whatever you want" system. I'd rather it have a Heroes of the Storm-style queueing mechanic where you just select the type of class you want to play and hit matchmaking. I know that wouldn't for this game but damn it's just so frustrating right now when people don't want to switch off their bad pick.

ohkay

When is it worth going out of your way to gain high ground as soldier? For example, let's take Dorado, second point on attack. Is it worth the effort to go around to the top, while your team may be left in a 5v6 until you're set up, or should you just push with your team?

antitrop

When is it worth going out of your way to gain high ground as soldier? For example, let's take Dorado, second point on attack. Is it worth the effort to go around to the top, while your team may be left in a 5v6 until you're set up, or should you just push with your team?
It sets up a good position to have Ana ult you and clean up with your Tac Visor from above. So if you don't have your Ult, I guess I wouldn't bother.

I-hate-u

I'm wondering if we're going to get another character before May. I feel like Blizzard might go big for the one year anniversary and release a couple characters and new maps/skins as a large update. But that would mean we don't get a lot of content between then and now - I'd expect some sort of spring event? There aren't a lot of holidays between now and summer, so what other kinds of events could they do? An April Fools event maybe, where everyone gets skins based on other characters? I.E. Pharah gets a Junkrat themed skin, Junkrat gets a D.Va skin, etc.

Just spitballing as I wonder what to expect.

They did say they have a character that they starting producing the official art for, so I expect at least 1 character by the end of spring.

Top Bottom