• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Okay but no one is saying that the comp was good or that your team was good.

I'm just saying that Symmetra deals with Genji pretty damn well.
that's on maps where you have time to set up your turrets and have a good position to isolate genji and kill him. can't do that on control point maps. maybe i should have clarified the map we were playing on. i'm fine with symmetra on assault/hybrid/payload maps. not on fucking illios.

I love this game a lot, and have the big CE on PC. Happy.

But I'm definitely craving to play it in my living room home theatre. Thinking I should bite for the PS4 Pro next time the game goes on sale. (was $39 for Boxing Week, I should have nabbed it). I could play on my BF's PC which is hooked up to the TV, but I want to be able to play with a controller and just chill out some more, rather than need to play it at my powerhouse desktop with mouse/keyboard.

Does anyone have both versions? Any anecdotes?

I'm aware that there's no way to connect the two to allow for unlockable progress to sync, which sucks, but I can deal with that.
We've lost a few good men to the PC version but haven't gained many from the other side. That being said, I'd say you will definitely get what you seem to be looking for from the console version. We have a good community so feel free to join us if you take the plunge.

antitrop

I love this game a lot, and have the big CE on PC. Happy.

But I'm definitely craving to play it in my living room home theatre. Thinking I should bite for the PS4 Pro next time the game goes on sale. (was $39 for Boxing Week, I should have nabbed it). I could play on my BF's PC which is hooked up to the TV, but I want to be able to play with a controller and just chill out some more, rather than need to play it at my powerhouse desktop with mouse/keyboard.

Does anyone have both versions? Any anecdotes?

I'm aware that there's no way to connect the two to allow for unlockable progress to sync, which sucks, but I can deal with that.

I played 300 hours on PS4 before switching to PC and playing 350 more. Between 144Hz and Mouse/Keyboard, I can't go back to the console version anymore, but it's absolutely playable and it was still my GOTY before I switched to the PC version.

It's unfortunate that progress doesn't sync, though. I want my golden guns that are stuck on PS4 and I would have a Silver border if both account levels were combined.

that's on maps where you have time to set up your turrets and have a good position to isolate genji and kill him. can't do that on control point maps. maybe i should have clarified the map we were playing on. i'm fine with symmetra on assault/hybrid/payload maps. not on fucking illios.

yeah if you said it was a cp map from the start I'd be inclined to agree with you

gotta go with the gorilla for those

Grief.exe

I played 300 hours on PS4 before switching to PC and playing 350 more. Between 144Hz and Mouse/Keyboard, I can't go back to the console version anymore, but it's absolutely playable and it was still my GOTY before I switched to the PC version.

It's unfortunate that progress doesn't sync, though. I want my golden guns that are stuck on PS4 and I would have a Silver border if both account levels were combined.

During the 360/PS3 days it was 1080p/60, now it's 1440p/100+. Makes it difficult to go back.

I need to grief about a Symmetra.

I feel with her change Symmetra is a really viable pick, more often than before at least, but Comp aint the place for learning a character...so when you get Lijang Tower and the last pick refuses to be anyone but Symmetra, "I'm DPS" "We have Tracer and Soldier 76" "I AM DPS"...you fear how it will go.

Farewell my 2905 SR/6 match win streak.

So the rest of the team communicated, broadly speaking did their roles about as well as could be. Symmetra on the other hand...nevet used her shield to aid a push, never put turrets up at a choke point and...most bizzarely, went solo and deliberately split up from the group...

They then proceeded to moan at our Mercy for not healing (who, along with Ana had more pressing issues like healing two tanks etc)...so we lost 1st round pretty closely and began to make adjustments for Night Market...all apart from one. Sym did the same, split up, solo, never used shield...and tbf, we got destroyed.

From a team effort it was 5v1 and we were good but so good as to go up against a team full of Diamonds...come final round and Sym made their intent obvious and emoted in spawn and only moved to avoid getting kicked for afk.

We lost, she left a few rage insults and...sigh.

I cant understand people troll playing in Comp. /rantover

Xeteh

Rofl, some poor Soldier walked around the same corner at the same time I did twice just to get blasted off the map with Pharah's concussive shot.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Potentially dumb Ana questions:

How does her healing shot work? Does a shot give a strong heal-over-time effect on someone for a few seconds? How much health does one shot heal, and how long does it last?

Say a tank is badly wounded and I'm just shooting to heal him (leave the grenade out of the equation for now). Should I shoot him once and pay attention elsewhere for a few seconds before shooting again, or should I just spam shots into him until he's full?

Does it make sense to spam shots at someone or just wait for the heal effect to wear off before firing again?

Jellie

How does her healing shot work? Does a shot give a strong heal-over-time effect on someone for a few seconds? How much health does one shot heal, and how long does it last?

Say a tank is badly wounded and I'm just shooting to heal him (leave the grenade out of the equation for now). Should I shoot him once and pay attention elsewhere for a few seconds before shooting again, or should I just spam shots into him until he's full?

Does it make sense to spam shots at someone or just wait for the heal effect to wear off before firing again?
Every shot heals 75 per shot, 150 with a grenade buff. Keep spamming the shots until they are full.

Mupod

I actually got an environmental kill on a Pharah the other day. My Ana friend slept her near the edge on Ilios and I was on Pharah myself. Couldn't resist.

I dropped a few discord/full charges on sleeping people as Zenyatta too. Surprisingly I've never once had that happen to me.

Nimby

Banned
>Playing as Mercy
>3-man res
>Solo-kill a Lucio and mechless D.Va
>Assist on Junkrat and Reinhardt
>mfw battle Mercy POTG
>Excited!!!
>Lucio gets POTG
>Boops 2 people off the map

I feel robbed.

Akuun

>Playing as Mercy
>3-man res
>mfw battle Mercy POTG
>Excited!!!
>Lucio gets POTG

I feel robbed.
I hate that shit. I've seen a Lucio do nothing for the group and just camp this one spot on the map just to boop people off, contributing nothing to the group and healing no one. Just annoying blabber from him the whole game.

He got POTG for those boops.

Snagret

My impression of it is that it's not exactly an instant heal, it sort of "ticks up" to 75, but it happens so quickly that you don't really have time to look elsewhere before the heal completes. You're best off if you just keep firing till they're full.

>Playing as Mercy
>3-man res
>mfw battle Mercy POTG
>Excited!!!
>Lucio gets POTG

I feel robbed.

I got a 4 man res, killed a Lucio, and we got a Team kill and pushed the payload to the end. POTG...was probably bugged because it went to a Torb whose turret got destroyed...then he went Molten core and died almost immediately from a 100% charged Zarya. then it was a few secs of his corpse and everyone going >_> <_<

Akuun

Okay, thanks guys.

I do like playing Ana, but it feels like she really needs some sense of cohesion from the team to work.

If the entire team is full of flankers or people who keep overextending like crazy, then there's no place for her to hang around and shoot heals from safely. Then she ends up spending most of the game either dead or unable to heal people because almost no one is in line of sight.

Exactly. You are at the mercy of your teammates when playing Ana.

that's pretty much any support character + rein

at least Ana has a way to deal with flankers and can shoot and heal at the same time unlike Mercy

I've pretty much completely stopped playing Rein in qp, it's no use when dumb teammates wander in front of your shield for no reason only to get picked in seconds

Roadhog has been easily a top 5 hero in terms of fun to play and still being 'good' at all times since the game came out. I'm not saying I'm against getting rid of bullshit hooks. But if this massively effects him to the point where you literally have to be standing in a wide open space looking directly at your target to hook them, or if people find tons of different way to 'break' the hook. The game will be worse without him.

Say what you want but he has a high skill cap, and any one who has spent any time with him knows how much fun he is. I'd rather he be OP than someone who is super boring to play as and against(Soldier, Dva).

antitrop

I jump back into Competitive for the first time in weeks and have a crazy Lucio game on Nepal. It went to the 5th round and I got booped off the point in Overtime, right into the pit with my ult at 99%. I was able to touch a wall like maybe just an inch before the death, then I wallrode for like 20 seconds to be able to get back to the point and broke it down for the win.

Then I got POTM for some environmental kills.

hBWe0S7.png

Roadhog has been easily a top 5 hero in terms of fun to play and still being 'good' at all times since the game came out. I'm not saying I'm against getting rid of bullshit hooks. But if this massively effects him to the point where you literally have to be standing in a wide open space looking directly at your target to hook them, or if people find tons of different way to 'break' the hook. The game will be worse without him.

Say what you want but he has a high skill cap, and any one who has spent any time with him knows how much fun he is. I'd rather he be OP than someone who is super boring to play as and against(Soldier, Dva).

Roadhog was the reason I first fell in love with the beta. Who wouldn't want to play as Fat Scorpion in a shooter?

Mupod

that's pretty much any support character + rein

at least Ana has a way to deal with flankers and can shoot and heal at the same time unlike Mercy

I've pretty much completely stopped playing Rein in qp, it's no use when dumb teammates wander in front of your shield for no reason only to get picked in seconds

I can sometimes save myself as Zenyatta. I put most of my time on him when he had 150hp so I'm still as skittish as a caffeinated squirrel and I'm always watching and listening carefully. Flankers still have the advantage for sure, but I don't make it easy. I've landed my share of Tracer headshots and Genji boots to the ass.

The Ana friend I've mentioned a few times can 1v1 just about anybody and it's practically all he does because he thinks it's funny. I know when he lands his stupid combo thing because someone on the other team starts commenting about how our Ana isn't actually healing people.

and yeah I don't mind playing Reinhardt in theory but I just can't do it in solo queue. Nobody uses the fucking shield.

Nimby

Banned
For stat junkies, hero usage from the Winter Premiere:

Code:
Reinhardt   - 97.21%
Lucio       - 97.18%
Ana         - 91.71%
D.Va        - 83.63%
Zarya       - 66.83%
Roadhog     - 66.36%
Soldier 76  - 23.77%
Tracer      - 23.30%
Genji       - 10.43%
Mei         - 8.04%
Zenyatta    - 7.79%
Sombra      - 6.85%
Pharah      - 6.02%
Winston     - 2.40%
McCree      - 2.25%
Hanzo       - 1.70%
Torbjorn    - 1.37%
Junkrat     - 1.19%
Mercy       - 0.83%
Reaper      - 0.78%
Symmetra    - 0.36%
Bastion     - 0%
Widowmaker  - 0%
winstonslab.com

• compLexity accounts for 95% of Sombra usage
  • Immortals decided to use Junkrat on attack King's Row instead of Lucio
    It apparently worked
  • Every Symmetra and/or Torbjorn team composition failed to hold a significant amount of time and were all on Hollywood
  • Keep in mind there was only ~5 hours of playtime and the WP is an ongoing event

Is there a way to get total time played on console? I know I could just add up QP and comps seasons but that doesn't take into account arcade/brawls.
Yeah the fact that it doesn't track time for brawls/arcade bugs the fuck out of me.
For stat junkies, hero usage from the Winter Premiere:

Code:
Reinhardt   - 97.21%
Lucio       - 97.18%
Ana         - 91.71%
D.Va        - 83.63%
Zarya       - 66.83%
Roadhog     - 66.36%
Soldier 76  - 23.77%
Tracer      - 23.30%
Genji       - 10.43%
Mei         - 8.04%
Zenyatta    - 7.79%
Sombra      - 6.85%
Pharah      - 6.02%
Winston     - 2.40%
McCree      - 2.25%
Hanzo       - 1.70%
Torbjorn    - 1.37%
Junkrat     - 1.19%
Mercy       - 0.83%
Reaper      - 0.78%
Symmetra    - 0.36%
Bastion     - 0%
Widowmaker  - 0%
winstonslab.com

• compLexity accounts for 95% of Sombra usage
  • Immortals decided to use Junkrat on attack King's Row instead of Lucio
    It apparently worked
  • Every Symmetra and/or Torbjorn team composition failed to hold a significant amount of time and were all on Hollywood
  • Keep in mind there was only ~5 hours of playtime and the WP is an ongoing event
Reaper holy shit, rip

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The more i play around with both of soldier and mccree the more i feel like if tanks/ana is reduced in power mccree honestly has more opportunities to make big plays. With soldier, while being a very good constant damage dump, still can't do the same plays mccree can.

I think they're both in an alright place honestly. I'd rather see how each fare in a meta where tanks aren't as dominant before outright nerfing soldier. Also depending on the range mccree can seriously dominate over 76.

junkrat is very good against reinhardt/tank comps

They're all big characters so junkrats aoe always hits

and reins shield can be easily pegged away by junkrat

antitrop

The more i play around with both of soldier and mccree the more i feel like if tanks/ana is reduced in power mccree honestly has more opportunities to make big plays. With soldier, while being a very good constant damage dump, still can't do the same plays mccree can.

I agree.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Yeah, from the beta on Roadhog was the main hook getting me into overwatch

i'm sorry

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
My New Years resolution? Get on the payload ;)

JHall

Top Bottom