• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

zoozilla

Anyone know where I could find other beginner players to do Quick Play with?

I'm only level 22, but I figure it'll be easier to learn with other like-minded players than playing with randoms all the time.

scoobs

So watching some high-level Sombra gameplay, it would appear the strategy is to hack a forward health pack, drop your teleport on it, and then go harass squishies and hack important enemy targets and when you get focused you teleport, rinse and repeat until you get EMP and then drop it on their entire team when you're ready to make a big push.

Sound about right? She's kind of fun, I just wish her SMG did like 5% more damage or something. Feels like a peashooter

Blues1990

Anyone know where I could find other beginner players to do Quick Play with?

I'm only level 22, but I figure it'll be easier to learn with other like-minded players than playing with randoms all the time.

You can ask the members on this forum, as they (usually) feel happy to show new players the ropes of the game. I'm usually on at this time, so add me to your friends list and I can play with you.

Blues1990#1733

NeoRaider

So watching some high-level Sombra gameplay, it would appear the strategy is to hack a forward health pack, drop your teleport on it, and then go harass squishies and hack important enemy targets and when you get focused you teleport, rinse and repeat until you get EMP and then drop it on their entire team when you're ready to make a big push.

Sound about right? She's kind of fun, I just wish her SMG did like 5% more damage or something. Feels like a peashooter

It doesn't sound like my kind of "fun".

Sombra's lots of fun. She takes practice for sure but sneaking around and picking off weakened foes and disabling key targets like Reinhardt is fun. I do agree she needs a small damage buff though and maybe a slightly longer time available to use the translocator.

caesar

Banned

Yeah, some pros can get emp in 30-45 secs pretty crazy.

Cappa

Banned

Its more or less how we run Sombra as well.... her ult levels up really quickly this way. Usually works great on chokepoint maps like Kings Row and Eichenwalde.

With that said, communication is an absolute must with Overwatch regardless, but you cant play Sombra effectively without having constant communication with your teammates. If you try to play Sombra on a team that no one is using a microphone, you´re going to struggle to be effective.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'm kind of leary on giving sombra a damage boost because man when I see top level sombras with great tracking the damage she outputs is kind of nuts.

Azoor

I'm kind of leary on giving sombra a damage boost because man when I see top level sombras with great tracking the damage she outputs is kind of nuts.

Did they confirm they were buffing her damage? Maybe they'll change how her weapon works like Zarya or McCree.

Alucrid

Banned

kind of. you don't want a forward health pack you just want a large one near where your push stalls. i.e. under the bridge on gibralter or in the hotel on king's row. then you have your tanks take damage and use the health pack to heal.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
No, they say they are waiting on her more before making any changes so there's no ana 2.0.

I dunno, I also think the overwatch community in general is very eager to blame off-meta picks without seeing what the hero was doing. Like I was playing against a team who complained about their sombra for making them lose when the sombra was doing a lot of work honestly. Regularly got me as ana and mercy, and if you don't know how to play around her she's actually kind of difficult to peg down. She certainly did more work than their genji who was kinda useless but they don't point fingers at him.

GregHorrorShow

Neo Member
Can anyone recommend me a decent counter to a Bastion/Torb combo? Seem to run up against it often (especially on Eichenwalde, where they sit on the balcony overlooking the first capture point) and it just seems like whoever I choose gets taken out almost immediately.

Any help appreciated!

NimbusD

There's a ton of bad Reins out there too. Especially the ones that just charge into the enemy's back line and then get insta-focused to leave your team tank-less for 25 seconds.
This is frustrating. More frustrating is when your team doesn't immediately punish the shit out of a charging rein and their noob strat actually works.

Played a game yesterday and I looked like a noob rein cuz ana kept saying she was going to boost me so I'd charge and then she'd immediately get distracted as if I had even a second to spare, being surrounded by the enemy team, while she decided to go unfocused DPS. Twice I died looking like a complete noob while our team got completely steamrolled after I was dead.

Can anyone recommend me a decent counter to a Bastion/Torb combo? Seem to run up against it often (especially on Eichenwalde, where they sit on the balcony overlooking the first capture point) and it just seems like whoever I choose gets taken out almost immediately.

Any help appreciated!
Pharah is who I usually use because it's easy to land direct hits, but you need to be careful and try to keep your distance so you are out of the turrets range.
Mei can put up ice walls in front of them, Reinhardt's shield is a huge help for your team too. Genji's deflection is useful, Dva self destructs are really helpful for clearing them out. Snipers like Widowmaker and Hanzo are also usually pretty good too. These are what immediately come to mind for me, but good team coordination is mostly the key thing though.

Meccs

Overbuff seems a bit inaccurate. I just played a game where I started as Reaper and finished as Torbjörn and both heroes show as 0-1 for my last session. Not that I really care about stats but I just happen to notice it. I played the match from start to finish.

Edit: masteroverwatch shows the same as does in-game stats. What gives?

Skii

This is frustrating. More frustrating is when your team doesn't immediately punish the shit out of a charging rein and their noob strat actually works.

Played a game yesterday and I looked like a noob rein cuz ana kept saying she was going to boost me so I'd charge and then she'd immediately get distracted as if I had even a second to spare, being surrounded by the enemy team, while she decided to go unfocused DPS. Twice I died looking like a complete noob while our team got completely steamrolled after I was dead.

I think it's better for the Ana to use nanoboost reactively with Reinhardt tbh. I really can't do anything when I'm boosted with my team because it forces me to charge in and I usually die. I'd much rather them wait for me to be pinned or for the fight to break out before giving me the nano so I can actually do something and not all the focus is on me before I even get the boost.

Ok.

Later today I'm gonna try and get on a win streak and hit Diamond. Its so close, I can practically taste it. Its actually quite nice when you chat about the comp in Team Chat and when someone asks you to change from Zen, people can point out we're maybe lacking in damage otherwise and the Discord Orbs can help in a big way. Then its like "Oh yeah, good point".

vs

"Could we get another support please? I'm the only one" "Fuck you Mercy" "I'm DPS" "But i've already picked".

Shredderi

Somethings changed. Maybe an algorithm in the matchmaking? My friends noticed this too that since the Oasis map got implemented we have only been matched with pretty bad players against MUCH MUCH better teams. I'm literally talking about 5 matches won out of like 40. This is super weird, it's like I'm in a surreal dream. I keep playing just to see if the whole thing really continues and it does. It's like I'm in a David Lynch movie. I've tried arcade and quickplay and same story everywhere. Before Oasis update it was business as normal and then suddenly BAM biggest loss streak for all of my friends both in our group sessions and their soloQ sessions. All 7 reporting the same thing that they get sudden epic loss streaks never experienced before and it's spot on after the Oasis thing.

Somethings changed. Maybe an algorithm in the matchmaking? My friends noticed this too that since the Oasis map got implemented we have only been matched with pretty bad players against MUCH MUCH better teams. I'm literally talking about 5 matches won out of like 40. This is super weird, it's like I'm in a surreal dream. I keep playing just to see if the whole thing really continues and it does. It's like I'm in a David Lynch movie. I've tried arcade and quickplay and same story everywhere. Before Oasis update it was business as normal and then suddenly BAM biggest loss streak for all of my friends both in our group sessions and their soloQ sessions. All 7 reporting the same thing that they get sudden epic loss streaks never experienced before and it's spot on after the Oasis thing.

Pre Oasis, my QP for the last week or so had pretty much been wins, like 4:1, so I would assume my mmr is pretty good...then I get grouped with sub 30s etc and I'm waiting for their icons to load etc, assuming its a glitch and they are actually 130...but no. Matchmaking feels weird atm.

Shredderi

Pre Oasis, my QP for the last week or so had pretty much been wins, like 4:1, so I would assume my mmr is pretty good...then I get grouped with sub 30s etc and I'm waiting for their icons to load etc, assuming its a glitch and they are actually 130...but no. Matchmaking feels weird atm.

Yeah... I think I have to take a long pause from the game. Between yesterday and today I'm a broken man. These games really get to me so super bombastic epic loss streaks has an impact on my quality of life :D.

Feels like this is happening to me and my friends as well since the update we have been getting so many losses and such terrible randoms. We had just put it down to bad luck but I have dropped almost 500 SR since the patch.

Grief.exe

Ok.

Later today I'm gonna try and get on a win streak and hit Diamond. Its so close, I can practically taste it. Its actually quite nice when you chat about the comp in Team Chat and when someone asks you to change from Zen, people can point out we're maybe lacking in damage otherwise and the Discord Orbs can help in a big way. Then its like "Oh yeah, good point".

vs

"Could we get another support please? I'm the only one" "Fuck you Mercy" "I'm DPS" "But i've already picked".

I'm off today if you want to get some games going, message me.

I'm assuming PC.

bjork

Finally got to level 20. I'm starting to enjoy using Lucio, I just wish I liked his skins a bit better. Still rolling with the default, because the christmas one just seems silly now.

Blues1990

Finally got to level 20. I'm starting to enjoy using Lucio, I just wish I liked his skins a bit better. Still rolling with the default, because the christmas one just seems silly now.

I switch between his two Epic skins & Seleção, as I'm not all that partial to Lucio's other Legendary skins.

GregHorrorShow

Neo Member
Pharah is who I usually use because it's easy to land direct hits, but you need to be careful and try to keep your distance so you are out of the turrets range.
Mei can put up ice walls in front of them, Reinhardt's shield is a huge help for your team too. Genji's deflection is useful, Dva self destructs are really helpful for clearing them out. Snipers like Widowmaker and Hanzo are also usually pretty good too. These are what immediately come to mind for me, but good team coordination is mostly the key thing though.

Thanks, I'd tried a few of those but hadn't actually considered switching to Hanzo/Widowmaker temporarily to try and get rid of them. As you say we likely weren't coordinating our pushes properly as well.

scoobs

Am I just super unlucky or does quick play have like zero skill based matchmaking? It's just butt blasting over and over

Feels like this is happening to me and my friends as well since the update we have been getting so many losses and such terrible randoms. We had just put it down to bad luck but I have dropped almost 500 SR since the patch.

Am I just super unlucky or does quick play have like zero skill based matchmaking? It's just butt blasting over and over

So it's not just me then. Weird that a lot of people in this thread are all having lopsided matches/losing streaks.

Jokab

I often find that in entrenched areas such as last point on Route 66 as attacker, it's really hard as soldier to get anything done when they have Dva Rein. Of course it depends, but what can I switch to that is better?

Shredderi

I'm used to getting my ass kicked a lot in these games by now but this latest streak is something different and it's not even just me anymore.

Kurumi

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this way. Makes me want to flip a table with how bad the matches have been.

Me and my friend get complete retards while the other team get ppl that play like a team even if they're not grouped together.

Game after game.....

Shredderi

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this way. Makes me want to flip a table with how bad the matches have been.

Me and my friend get complete retards while the other team get ppl that play like a team even if they're not grouped together.

Game after game.....

Yes, this exactly! The enemies are all solo players yet they bunch up together like pro teams do in tournaments while our teammates just... Scatter around. Game after game. I mean after 5 or so matches of that you'd think that I would start getting decent teams as well, but nooo we're going for a world record of loss streaks!

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF

Any help appreciated!
If the turret or Bastion is stationed somewhere that can be shot at from a distance, then you don't need to get close. Get someone who can fire a few damaging shots from a distance before ducking back into cover.

Zenyatta's charged alt fire is particularly good in this situation since he can charge while in cover, duck out, and let loose a ton of damage before ducking back into safety. Discord orb helps too. Lucio can do something similar with his three bullet thing, and taking the odd hit at a distance from Bastion isn't a big deal because Lucio regens with his aura anyway.

Torb's turret is a little harder to deal with because he's usually nearby repairing it, but the same idea of focusing him down with burst damage works.

Harder to deal with if they're positioned somewhere that makes people come in close. Maybe Dva can fly in with Defensive Matrix to let people bum rush the turrets?

Meccs

I would be ok with a 50% win/loss ratio if it weren't always 6 wins, 5 losses, 7 wins, 8 losses .... in addition to a lot of stomps on both sides.
Having said that a lot of close games have been "enemy takes point with 99% on our counter". That happens way too often to be a coincidence. (tinfoil hat on)

I am chalking it up to Christmas injecting a bunch of new players. At least that's what I'm telling myself to feel better.

Yeah I was thinking between that, the winter event, and a new map that there's probably a lot of green players or players that only play when new stuff comes out, but even then you'd think through odds eventually you'd be paired with people who know what they're doing. The fact that I consistently end up on the team that gets steamrolled is really weird.

I'm used to getting my ass kicked a lot in these games by now but this latest streak is something different and it's not even just me anymore.

I haven't touched comp since the last games I played with GAFers over a week ago. Too afraid due to how much losing I've been doing in Arcade/QP. It's abnormal, I've honestly never had this much trouble when solo queueing previously.

I often find that in entrenched areas such as last point on Route 66 as attacker, it's really hard as soldier to get anything done when they have Dva Rein. Of course it depends, but what can I switch to that is better?

I wouldn't switch. 76's damage is good for taking down Rein's shield from a direct approach. And on 66, there are a few flanking routes that you can use as 76 to disrupt their defense. Problem isn't really 76 in this case, but simply the unbalanced meta of D.Va/Rein that exists. Everyone's going to have issues.

Blues1990

Seems like a missed opportunity to not have a Butcher skin for Roadhog during this Diablo anniversary, no?

It's such a no-brainer, as Blizzard has several characters that utilize a chain hook, and both The Butcher and Roadhog have similar physical proportions that it could've made it work.

At least Reinhardt has Cain's iconic "Stay a while, and listen." as a voice line somewhere in the recent data dump. It's possible that line could've been an unlock or a random thing he would say during this month for Diablo's 20th Anniversary.

Kito

There's 2 ways to play Sombra: harasser, as you've described, or healer. The latter requires you swap places with Ana and heal tanks for super fast EMP; this is what Kephrii (Top 500) does. It's also the most unpopular way, since double healer is ingrained in the playerbase and Sombra is offence class.

Top Bottom