• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

If anyone wants to play later/at some point... BossDarkseid#2901 . PC/EU.

If I'm playing OW i'm probably also in a Discord chat with friends I might not voice chat in game but I'll still be in Team Chat to hear other people etc ofc. I'm around 2900SR and tend to play Mercy.

I occasionally have a tendency to panic Ult, but otherwise I try to wait until the person won't die immediately, or there's some distraction (like a D.va nuke)...I can do Zenyatta and Lucio ok, I think Zen is very useful if the other team go triple tank...but I can get into a habit of being all Battle Zenyatta.

I want to try and get to 3000SR/Diamond with my friend first so might not be available for a day or two, but would be happy to help anyone.

V-Faction

GAH, WHY DID I PLAY OTHER GAMES. I NOW SUCK AT OVERWATCH.

Or at least, the last couple of rounds on the new Oasis map I have not been fairing well. I'm contributing less than what I feel is necessary. The map has this nice combination of clausterphobia, color, and verticality that just messes with my senses -- but that doesn't excuse my skills going to shit (even shittier than they already were!)

Jellie

Doesn't EMP already drop Rein/Zarya shields?
Yeah but that's an ult so should be powerful. Being able to hack a Reinhardt shield every 12 seconds from behind your own would be stupid.
Wouldn't the counterplay be to require shield/hero LOS while hacking, and have someone damage the Sombra to interrupt?

Either way, it would just be nice to see SOME adjustment that removes Rein and Lucio from the meta for once.
Can sit behind your own reinhardt shield and hack. The team without Sombra loses every fight so you have to run Sombra or you lose. It's just replacing one essential hero for another. That's not how you fix things.
No idea, maybe I can do a few. :p

Relevant video from overwatch central today

Something else they could do for Sombra is have hack suspend cooldowns. As it is, hacking Roadhog is pretty good because it stops him healing, but it's basically worthless at denying him hook unless you time it well. (Hack lasts 6s, hook CD is 6s.)

My mental checklist for hack or not at this point is...

Hack before engaging wherever possible:
Ana, Mercy, Sombra, Tracer, Genji, D.Va, S76, Mei

(All of these heroes have annoying abilities that will allow them to escape or negate your damage in some dumb way, and they all get panicky when you deny them it. Mei is still an issue because engaging her at your optimal range is bad, and S76/D.Va are still horrible because of their ridiculous stats, but you should still fuck with them.)

Hack is inessential, but great if you can get it off:
Reinhardt, Zarya, Reaper, Roadhog, Pharah

(Mostly these hacks benefit the team and don't make killing the heroes in question all that much easier for you. Rein and Zarya are the pick of the bunch because even random solo q teammates will reliably focus fire them when they see their shields are down. The real issue with Rein is any situation where you can get a hack off on him with ease, he's probably already fucked up.)

Just try to left-click them to death:
Zenyatta, Hanzo, Lucio, Widow, Torb, Symmetra, McCree*, Bastion**

(In all cases, hacking these heroes doesn't deny them much utility and you're better off getting the jump on pouring out your damage. Some of these are really bad 1v1s to take, though, so have transloc available.)

*Avoid in general unless he's lit or you're sure flash is down.
**Unless he's firing on your team, in which case hacking him could save lives.

Blues1990

I had a great run with Winston today. It's a shame that my computer failed to capture the footage, as it was hilarious to see people getting tossed around/getting electrocuted by a giant Yeti.

sK99mMw.jpg

Grief.exe

Result of my solo queues today, 3 and 5. Can't beat em fam.

2Lt58yU.png

vpIZ1Ww.png

Are you eu? If so I can add you.

US.

For some reason I thought you were master and or grandmaster!

Don't give up grief! You're a good Ana, keep at it!! \o/

I just came back to the game and I jumped into Competitive to learn Ana. I was learning her during my placement matches so I got placed in Platinum, now I can't climb out of that rank.

my friends who are way higher rank then me (3500-3700) say that if Ana doesn't have gold healing above Lucio on the same team, then the Ana sucks but I can never manage it

do I suck

antitrop

my friends who are way higher rank then me (3500-3700) say that if Ana doesn't have gold healing above Lucio on the same team, then the Ana sucks but I can never manage it

do I suck
A Lucio that never uses speed boost should have Gold healing over Ana.
But that would be the Lucio's fault, not the Ana's.

So yeah, if you're playing at lower levels with Lucios that just leave Healing Aura on all the time, it's not your fault.

Lucios that don't use speed should just be playing Zenyatta.

do I suck

No. If a Lucio uses speed boost well then he would probably have lower healing than Ana thanks to her E/ LMB etc. If Lucio never used it, then that's on him (or the enemy team just had that game where they dealt so much damage, opportunities for much Speed Boosts were rare).

I fucking HATE that. Have the fucking decency to win quick or know when to lose. Ain't nobody got time to waste on a match that you HAD only to have it turn around the other way. So much wasted time.
WTF? I love that shit. Absolute chaos in the OT, game flips... Not even mad when we lose to that.

Are you actually asking that teams try not to win? Wasted time? I do not understand this line of thinking at all.

Grief.exe

do I suck

I'm not sure that's true.

Lucio seems to have a 2-3 thousand healing advantage on Ana at any level on this chart. Ana's advantage isn't constant heals, but burst healing back to maximum while providing a massive offensive debuff. Granted, I haven't been playing Ana long, but optimal play is a constant dance between healing and offense. Trying to beat out your Lucio for gold healing will put your team on their back foot.

I44nP44.png

As people have said, if Lucio sticks on heals, it'll be hard. Also, people don't consistently three- or four-tank at lower ranks, so there just aren't the same deep pools to burst heal.

This is a good point too.

do I suck
As people have said, if Lucio sticks on heals, it'll be hard. Also, people don't consistently three- or four-tank at lower ranks, so there just aren't the same deep pools to burst heal.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Lucio gets high healing numbers really easily because he heals multiple people at once whenever his healing aura is on. Ana's strength lies in healing big health pools fast, not healing multiple people at once.

If you have a lot of flankers + don't have a lot of tanks + your tanks habitually overextend and die, then Ana's numbers won't be very high.

I'd say a good Ana is measured more by things like aim, decision making and positioning.

Vol5

Am i doing it wrong or is zaryas ultimate just not working in ps4?. Had this before the patch and now just had a game when it didn't kick in twice in a row.

antitrop

Am i doing it wrong or is zaryas ultimate just not working in ps4?. Had this before the patch and now just had a game when it didn't kick in twice in a row.

I'd put $5 down on you not noticing a D.Va with her Defense Matrix up.

Although I have seen clips of Gravitons bugging through walls and disappearing or whatever, so it's possible it was a glitch.

Vol5

I'd put $5 down on you not noticing a D.Va with her Defense Matrix up.

Although I have seen clips of Gravitons bugging through walls and disappearing or whatever, so it's possible it was a glitch.

Bloody hell. It could be that. And all this time I've been thinking the game is bugging out. Lol

Something I haven't tried yet on Ilios Well is using Graviton on the top half of the inner wall of it to "suck" people into the pit.

Would that work or does the inner wall just eat it?

Even with a triple tank meta (seems to be Roadhog and Soldier 76 being super useful so S76 can help nuke anyone Roadhog hooks)...the idea of 2-2-2 still seems to be preferable.

Sometimes the other team have a weird comp but Zenyatta can be so useful if you go up against a triple tank meta because his Discord Orb + basically any sizeable bit of burst damage just burst down pretty much anyone...it's also pretty good in combo with Roadhog because if he hooks someone you can Discord Orb the target and let loose and even if its another tank you will come out on top.

I haven't come across many teams who don't protect the support (but if you're well co-ordinated they don't really have to go out of their way to do that)...but a persistent Pharah who never gets countered can royally screw you over.

Kysen

Had a match earlier today with a godlike hanzo. Never seen the kill feed so one sided. Everyone on the enemy team was getting wrecked. At one point scatter shot took out 3 people in one cast.

Skii

Rein doesn't need a nerf, he's the most balanced tank as of right now.

Just hit GM on PC, I'm done playing comp till the fix this boring ass meta.

Nah Winston is the most balanced. Zarya is pretty balanced as well now.

Reinhardt is weird. He's balanced but at the same time is absolutely necessary in 95% of games. It seems almost impossible to push through CPs without Reinhardt. except for maybe Anubis.

Sande

76 is so easy mode and I love it. I gave up on the dream of being a cool Genji user

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj7eLszbtB4
That's such a typical Roadhog. Roadhog should be terrifying in 3v3 but they always charge in alone thinking they can't die with that heal.

Are people still wanting Rein nerfs? What?
With that pick rate there should at least be a discussion. I don't understand why so many people immediately dismiss the idea that he might be OP. I get it that Rein is designed in a way that feels very fair, being melee and slow. But I think his damage and crowd control potential is a bit high for a hero that has a fast recharging 2000 hp shield and a shit ton of health.

finalflame

Can sit behind your own reinhardt shield and hack. The team without Sombra loses every fight so you have to run Sombra or you lose. It's just replacing one essential hero for another. That's not how you fix things.

The game will never be entire "fixed" or perfectly balanced. Changing the meta often means foregoing one essential hero for another, or meaning that one hero's counter to something makes another hero less viable in most competitive scenarios. And that's ok. Metas will always change, and striving for perfect balance/for the game to be fully " fixed" is a losing battle.

antitrop

New patch on the PTR is up

General

Emote Wheel
Players can now equip up to 4 emotes, sprays, and voice lines from within the hero gallery
Voice line and emote submenus can be accessed using the left and right mouse buttons from within the Communication wheel
Players can now bind individual sprays, emotes, and voice lines to unique keys or mouse buttons
HERO BALANCE UPDATES

Ana

Biotic Grenade
Healing boost on allies has been decreased by 50%
Developer Comments: The healing boost from Ana’s Biotic Grenade was providing too much healing, especially when used on targets with large health pools.

D.Va

Health increased from 200 to 400
Armor decreased from 400 to 200
Fusion Cannons
Bullet damage decreased from 3 to 2
Number of bullets per shot has been increased from 8 to 11
Developer Comments: D.Va’s armor often made her feel like she had no weaknesses, even against heroes that are often effective against bigger targets (like Reaper). The changes to her Fusion Cannons will result in a small overall decrease in damage, but they should feel more consistent now.

Roadhog

Chain Hook
Targets are now pulled directly in front of Roadhog (rather than straight to him), except in cases where Roadhog drastically rotates
Hooked targets are now released if they leave Roadhog’s line-of-sight before being pulled
Line-of-sight checks (which detect if targets should be initially hit by the hook) are now done from Roadhog’s position, rather than the hook’s position
Developer Comments: The hook should now feel more consistent for Roadhog players, but it should also feel more reasonable to his enemies, as they cannot be hooked or pulled around corners anymore.

Sombra

Hack
The time it takes to hack a target has been decreased from 1 second to 0.8 seconds
Developer Comments: Sombra often had difficulty hacking enemies, even when she surprised the target. This change should help her execute hacks more easily.

USER INTERFACE UPDATES

The “Stay as Team” button lights up when anyone on your team clicks it
Kill Feed

Hero ability icons are now displayed
Ultimate abilities are now indicated with an orange arrow
Headshot eliminations are now indicated with a red icon
BUG FIXES

General

Fixed a bug that allowed spectators to click the “Stay as Team” button after a game ended
Fixed a bug that caused the “Stay as Team” button to overlap with the “Back” button on the Social menu
Fixed a bug causing the “Mouse 4” button to execute the “Back” function during menu navigation, preventing it from being used for other features
Fixed a bug preventing the Social menu from correctly displaying World of Warcraft zones that have a single quotation mark in the name
Fixed a bug causing heroes to display a “T-pose” on the victory screen following a Mystery Heroes brawl
AI

Fixed a bug that prevented the Roadhog bot from grabbing enemies with his Chain Hook through a friendly Reinhardt’s Barrier Field
Fixed a bug that allowed the Sombra bot to hack through barriers
Fixed a bug that made the Torbjörn bot unresponsive after placing his turret
Competitive Play

Fixed a bug preventing players from receiving experience points when playing offseason games
Heroes

Fixed a bug that would cause the cup in Ana’s “Toast” victory pose to appear blurry on the right side of the screen
Fixed a bug causing several visual effect issues on McCree’s “Hat Trick” emote
Fixed a bug causing Mercy’s wings to be improperly placed on her Valkyrie and Sigrún skins
Fixed a bug that sometimes prevented Symmetra’s Photon Barrier from playing a sound effect when destroyed
Fixed a bug that sometimes prevented Widowmaker’s Venom Mine from attaching to walls
Fixed a bug that prevented Zenyatta’s Nutcracker skin from glowing when his Transcendence ultimate ability was activated
Maps

Fixed a bug that allowed Widowmaker to reach an unintended location on Eichenwalde
Fixed a bug that allowed Widowmaker to reach unintended locations on Ecopoint: Antarctica
Fixed a bug that allowed Sombra to reach unintended locations on Dorado
Fixed a bug that allowed Sombra to reach unintended locations on Watchpoint: Gibraltar
Fixed a bug on Oasis's garden tier where the border around the capture point inaccurately marked the bounds of the capture point
Fixed an issue causing texture fragmentation on the Practice Range
Fixed a bug preventing some projectiles from destroying the piñatas on Dorado
Fixed an issue preventing the glass railings on Oasis from being easily broken by a melee attack

Top Bottom