• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Thank god for all of the nerfs, even if all of Roadhog, Dva, and Ana were some of my mains.

Wish they nerfed Symmetra's weapon range, but beggars can't be choosers.

AbaFadi

Banned
Just played D.Va on the PTR. Looks like I'm going back to playing Zarya again.

I think the health increase in the last patch was a bit excessive. They should just revert it to 400 armor and 100 health and she would be balanced I think. As it is right now though on PTR she's basically useless again.

With soldier being able to kill new D.Va so fast, he is most likely going to dominate games even more now. I think Zarya will replace D.Va's spot in the meta as well.

Too bad. Learn a new hero.

You'll actually have to learn to use your hook and learn your environment rather than using it off CD every single time you can get a pick

Yeah I can't really be upset about this either tbh. This is 100% preferable to how it worked before, no question. The hook is for catching people out when they're out of position now, not a magical teleportation rod that goes through everything. This is at least honest.

Apathy

Too bad. Learn a new hero.

You'll actually have to learn to use your hook and learn your environment rather than using it off CD every single time you can get a pick

lul, clearly you should take your own advice if you keep getting hooked. That's your fault.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
In some ways I feels like getting hooked is a person's fault for peeking out, but I also feel like people should be able to peek out at more than 6 seconds at a time.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Yeah, I've been meaning to ask this - have any of the PTR changes in OW not made it to the main servers? I feel like everything has.

There was a damage increase boost to Mercy that didn't make it

I want to say there was a Zen change as well but I can't remember it

Apathy

Clearly the developers of this game disagree with you. Sorry you can't get free kills without having to even think about it anymore. :)

Oh watch, you'll be the first one on here complaining about a roadhog after the changes wanting more nerfs claiming it's still broken.

And I get my hooks from morons getting out in the open 99% of the times, so does every other hog, we'll keep doing it and you'll just be angry as ever. at least then you'll have to admit it was your fault instead of "bullshit hooks". Well you'll have to but you won't

Antiwhippy

Oh watch, you'll be the first one on here complaining about a roadhog after the changes wanting more nerfs claiming it's still broken.

And I get my hooks from morons getting out in the open 99% of the times, so does every other hog, we'll keep doing it and you'll just be angry as ever. at least then you'll have to admit it was your fault instead of "bullshit hooks". Well you'll have to but you won't

So do you think people shouldn't be out in the open ever?

That's widow level of oppressiveness.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Did the PTR hook atleast fix those weird hooks where people get put above/to the side or are people atleast getting plopped down to always kill?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Roadhog is my 4th most played hero bud. I'm sure you think from your view that you got them out in the open 99% of the time because you certainly wouldn't want thinking maybe your ability has an unfair advantage over the internet and that you used 'skill' instead.
Did the PTR hook atleast fix those weird hooks where people get put above/to the side or are people atleast getting plopped down to always kill?

They'll always land in front of him as long as there's not geometry now

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
LoS breaking the hook that easily seems a bit much, but other than that the changes to Roadhog's hook are pretty good. Basically you can't hook anyone above you anymore. There definitely needs to be more of a leeway there.

Alucrid

Banned

only when my big blue beautiful rectangle is out there

i still don't get why you can 180 and drop people off ledges when these were the changes though

Targets are now pulled directly in front of Roadhog (rather than straight to him), except in cases where Roadhog drastically rotates
Hooked targets are now released if they leave Roadhog's line-of-sight before being pulled

Apathy

Where did I say that? I said thats where the majority of actual hooks happen.

Roadhog is my 4th most played hero bud. I'm sure you think from your view that you got them out in the open 99% of the time because you certainly wouldn't want thinking maybe your ability has an unfair advantage over the internet and that you used 'skill' instead.

Go look at my post history if you want. Even from yesterday when the patch notes came out. Bullshit hooks should not happen. Want to know what a bullshit hook is, imagine standing still behind a wall, the hook is thrown at open space, it still hooks you and pulls you out.
None of the examples I've linked are bullshit hooks. Literally every one has been a hook hits, and due to momentum a person goes behind cover and the hook gets broken. That isn't fair for the hog player. Like, you have to have some really weird thinking to look at the examples shown and go "oh yeah that's exactly how that should work".

Shouta

400 HP/200 Armor makes D.va feel pretty squishy still. Marginally better than before all of her buffs but not by much at all. 300 HP/300 Armor might be the sweet spot for her. I like the Fusion Cannon change quite a bit. It feels more consistent on smaller targets now even if the overall damage is lower.

Insane, blasphemous EARLY opinion from Master-ranked PC Player:

Hanzo is actually really, really good on Oasis. Like, insane. There are so many corridors and attack angles to set up at. His Ult becomes unavoidable during certain pushes and his sonar arrow provides a decent amount of value due to the amount of flanks on each area along with the strange contest areas.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Never would have guessed after the beta I'd still be playing this so much. Just got my third star.

C1dUiwEXUAAgLcz.jpg

blizzard pls stop changing my most played characters

antitrop

Never would have guessed after the beta I'd still be playing this so much. Just got my third star.

C1dUiwEXUAAgLcz.jpg

blizzard pls stop changing my most played characters
Yeah, after the Beta I wasn't sure I was even going to buy it Day 1.

After 7 months...

2mlsXjw.png

Level 632 between the 2 accounts

rulerk1

just got out of a comp match where i as Zen got gold elims with 31 and for half of the match gold damage. I was with 4 autolock dps. I started the match with Lucio but saw a duo pick Hanzo and Reaper (they were the last to pick). When the Hanzo switched he picked Sombra and did nothing but solo ults. They werent in voice chat so thy couldnt hear our suggestions either.

Blizzard

Banned
Roadhog was one of the few characters with a chance of stopping Tracer/Genji/Sombra, my most hated characters in the game because of the rewinds and mobility. I'm sad to see the hook fix involved allowing them to escape instead of making the behavior more reliable. I suppose there's a slight chance it could change from PTR.

Maybe my opinion is in the minority, but I really want there to be hard counters to the above characters. If not Roadhog, then a decent McCree is basically the only option? Am I forgetting anyone?

Alucrid

Banned
Roadhog was one of the few characters with a chance of stopping Tracer/Genji/Sombra, my most hated characters in the game because of the rewinds and mobility. I'm sad to see the hook fix involved allowing them to escape instead of making the behavior more reliable. I suppose there's a slight chance it could change from PTR.

Maybe my opinion is in the minority, but I really want there to be hard counters to the above characters. If not Roadhog, then a decent McCree is basically the only option? Am I forgetting anyone?

winston

Blizzard

Banned
He's not a counter, he just has a chance of doing some damage. A decent Tracer will simply ult to kill Winston, and/or dash out of range, and/or rewind to cancel the damage.

A decent Genji will dash or wallclimb after Winston has wasted his jump.

A decent Sombra (though thankfully I haven't seen many) can teleport out.

The fact that an autoaim character (I suppose Symmetra could also count in this regard) is useful for standing a chance against these characters is a bad sign, in my opinion.

Antiwhippy

Mccree.

Roubjon

It feels good to go from 3200 to 3350 today and I think I can definitely make it to 3500. Granted, I'm a console pleb so it's not that big of a deal. I've fallen back in love with the game after a couple of months of playing some other stuff.

Blizzard

Banned
why dont u play mccree
Because I'm bad at him. For McCree to be a counter, he has to see them coming (despite the Tracer blink or Genji dash), nail the flashbang (which a decent Tracer or Genji can anticipate/rewind/reflect/dodge), and then headshot through lag, hoping the Genji doesn't slide to a stop during the flashbang.

If he fails any one of these things, unless he lands a crazy moving headshot after the fact, he should be dead.

Regardless, I did mention him as the only hard counter I can think of if Roadhog is getting phased out.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
A decent Genji will dash or wallclimb after Winston has wasted his jump.

a decent genji will not get away from winston. genji can't triple jump anymore and winston's leap is on a shorter cd as well as his attack having a longer range

the only reason he might get away is a smarter winston might recognize he's not worth chasing over a more important issue facing his team. but winston is a hard counter to genji.

Blizzard

Banned
a decent genji will not get away from winston. genji can't triple jump anymore and winston's leap is on a shorter cd as well as his attack having a longer range
That's a fair point (8 second genji versus 6 second winston). However, Genji can wallclimb while Winston can't, so I'd argue certain maps allow Genji non-jump escape options as well.

Perhaps more importantly, if a Winston attempts to chase Genji by spamming his jump, that leaves his own team with 1 tank versus 2, and without the bubble shield he could have provided. *edit* I see you edited this point in already.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
While Genji is wall-climbing, he's taking damage. Most situations would usually go

Genji dives in on healers
Winston dives on Genji(50 damage)
Winston proceeds to damage Genji who runs up a wall
Winston's gun tracks him up most the wall. Genji either dashes to try to find health or Winston jumps up and lands on him(50 more damage in addition to the lightning damage not to mention melee damage)
Genji goes for a heal, Winston dives onto the heal taking it for himself and hitting Genji for 50 damage who is probably dead at this point.

Gneji's wall climb doesn't go that high on most maps and Tesla's range is generous. He's either going to die or he's going to be so weak that he's a non issue for your team while he's trying to find health

and if you've got a Genji on your team with your Winston, the two clean up any would-be flankers and enemy healers. Throw in a Zen as well if you want the extra murder.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
When you get matched up with the same guy 3 times and you lose both times he's on your team, but he wins when he's against you. :[

I swear I ran into someone who's voice sounded deadon exactly like Matt Mercer aka McCree.

He says he's not the voice actor but holy hell it sounded exactly like him. I'll plop the video up soon

Moonkeis

Has there ever been any talks of adding some kind of "preferred class type"? Not to limit your hero selection but at least place a better spread of players together.

ohkay

Has there ever been any talks of adding some kind of "preferred class type"? Not to limit your hero selection but at least place a better spread of players together.
More people just need to be willing/able to play more roles. My most played this season are Soldier, Ana, and Reinhardt, all sitting at about the same play time, but I alsos have a fairly large pool of characters I can play comfortably

https://clips.twitch.tv/shadder2k/EnergeticMinkUnSane

Yeah, way to "fix" a character cause people don't understand forward momentum. Basically ruined his hook and he doesn't even get the cooldown reset even on actual hits. Blizzard balancing around cry babies yet again.

https://gfycat.com/CourteousSplendidAmurratsnake

Damn it feels good to be roadhog right now

welp, they fucking butchered the hook and somehow managed to open up new bs opportunties for him

should have done some slight tweaking and increased the cooldown for a few seconds

both of those videos are stupid in their own right

rip roadhog

Top Bottom