• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Nimby

Banned
Then watch the clip, it's not fair to the hog that makes the hooks, twice, once on the zarya that moves out of los because shes jumping to the side and to the ana that gets hooked but is behind a pole of all things to break the chain los

Watching that clip, can't say I'm too bothered by it. He threw his hook through the wall and attached onto the Zarya, in that situation I don't think the Zarya should be hooked in. Roadhog's character design is pretty busted, he shares similarities with snipers in that his whole goal is to get picks, but he has 600 HP, and a self-heal, plus a still powerful Ana to heal him, and he doesn't have to land headshots to delete over half the roster. I think it is fair that his hook have some sort of limiter.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
No, I think she's still viable. It's just going to take time for me to get used to having less armor. I've barely noticed the damage change.

But I won't be going 26-0 anymore :(

Those were the days.

I need help. I got placed into 2900 and I played 5 games with D. Va and lost all of them. The thing is I don't think I did bad. I got 2-3 golds each game and got carded every game. Here are my stats so its not just my own bias speaking:

http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Scorched-1198/heroes/22

What should I do in this situation?

Pre-nerf D. Va can get 2 or 3 golds without even trying. The damage category was practically on lock if there's no Bastion. There's more to playing as a team than medals, as nice as they are, and they're easier to get with D. Va. It's not a sign of playing the objective or anything necessarily other than being able to absorb everything and get more eliminations.

caesar

Banned
I need help. I got placed into 2900 and I played 5 games with D. Va and lost all of them. The thing is I don't think I did bad. I got 2-3 golds each game and got carded every game. Here are my stats so its not just my own bias speaking:

Ask yourself why did you lose those games? Could you have switched off? Where you really doing your job? Honestly its super easy to get golds as dva so it doesn't mean a lot.

Alucrid

Banned
Watching that clip, can't say I'm too bothered by it. He threw his hook through the wall and attached onto the Zarya, in that situation I don't think the Zarya should be hooked in. Roadhog's character design is pretty busted, he shares similarities with snipers in that his whole goal is to get picks, but he has 600 HP, and a self-heal, plus a still powerful Ana to heal him, and he doesn't have to land headshots to delete over half the roster. I think it is fair that his hook have some sort of limiter.

FN5flAu.jpg

this is the moment when the hook hits and you here the sound cue. zarya still in LOS, chain not through the wall. zarya's jumping so her momentum carries her behind the wall, bringing the chain with it. i assume the LOS check happens when the reel-in animation happens. i don't know if the hooked target no longer teleports back to the point of the hook or if that occurs after the LOS check, but it's still shitty. when the hook hits all momentum of the hooked target should stop.

honestly that tells us nothing about why you lost and unless you have videos of the matches there's not much we can do

I find it odd that Soldier 76 hasn't been nerfed. He's clearly the best attacker by a large margin and does insane damage if you can aim well. With the D.VA and Ana nerfs, I'm expecting him to be even more OP. I'm guessing he'll probably be able to shred through any tanks that get in the way.

Paltheos

https://clips.twitch.tv/shadder2k/EnergeticMinkUnSane

Yeah, way to "fix" a character cause people don't understand forward momentum. Basically ruined his hook and he doesn't even get the cooldown reset even on actual hits. Blizzard balancing around cry babies yet again.

lmao just what I was afraid of.
They killed the hook. The missed hook on tracer is obviously a bug, and I... want to believe they'll fix Sombra(?) hiding behind a fucking pole, but the general gist of it, that you can just hide behind a corner when you see Roadhog because he requires line of sight even when the hook that's already latched onto your body, is dumb.

The rest of the changes on PTR are cool. Whatever on the hack speed buff for Sombra, that's fine. Dva needed a health nerf, and changing armor to raw HP is what I suggested. I think they go too far on it and the damage nerf might be too much for Dva on top of that, but my guess is that not all of these will hit live. Ana biotic grenade nerf is perfect. To 150% healing is the exact figure I threw out there to start out with (and go further if she's still bad).

Apathy

this is the moment when the hook hits and you here the sound cue. zarya still in LOS, chain not through the wall. zarya's jumping so her momentum carries her behind the wall, bringing the chain with it. i assume the LOS check happens when the reel-in animation happens. i don't know if the hooked target no longer teleports back to the point of the hook or if that occurs after the LOS check, but it's still shitty. when the hook hits all momentum of the hooked target should stop.

honestly that tells us nothing about why you lost and unless you have videos of the matches there's not much we can do

Thanks, I was about to reply with the same thing. At no point were the zarya hook and the sombra hook behind any actual line of sight and the hook breaks.

I find it odd that Soldier 76 hasn't been nerfed. He's clearly the best attacker by a large margin and does insane damage if you can aim well. With the D.VA and Ana nerfs, I'm expecting him to be even more OP.

Zen/Soldier can now one clip D.Va without crits, I believe. Expect to see that combo a lot more this upcoming patch.

Pancake Mix

Soldier is slightly more understandable due to his low HP and vulnerability to tanks at least, but I have no idea how Mei hasn't been nerfed.

She's pretty much the best character 1 on 1, easily.

Nimby

Banned

My bad, the hook clipped through the wall for a bit so I though she got got hooked through the wall. But wouldn't stopping momentum just make it the same as it is now? If this situation were to happen on live, Zarya would have been hooked in, and stopping the momentum after hook would just make these scenarios happen the same right?

Skii

I just really hope Blizzard don't give in and change anything in PTR. Watching Roadhog miss hooks because he can't use absolute bullshit physics to get a pick every 6 seconds brings a tear to my eye.

Grief.exe

Edit: this post just looks at Hog for now

Those are good stats for Hog. Like I said though, it isn't necessarily the stats that are most important. Things I would ask based on what I see: your weapon acc is in a rather low percilentile. Was there a Rein on the other team/did you help break his shield? That should result in a greater acc % even if it isn't 'accurate'. Did you take out the flankers or D.Va you were supposed to consistently before the healers went down? You do have an awful lot of self healing. Could it be that the healers were dying early in the fight from enemies you could have peeled away meaning that your less sustainable teammates were eliminated?

I'm not saying any of this is the case, but it is the way one should look at stats to improve their own play. Your stats are good, but that just means that either there is something else missing, or the team synergy was off. Blaming your teammates for games is not the way to climb in my experience.

I basically haven't played Hog since July so I'm still getting the hang of it basically. I was also trying to practice my right click - hook combo since I haven't used that previously. Definitely something to improve on. Had to take care of Pharah too since I know from being an Ana main how much trouble they can cause.

I do need to work on hitting Rein shields since it helps the team break it down and I'm usually focused on my own thing.

I'm transitioning to a Roadhog main for now since I feel like if I'm on fire for literally 50-60% of the match I can have a higher impact on the game.

I wonder how the los cut off is. Like can you hook a rein whose arm and right side are around the corner and you can see? Or would it just hook and drop the hook? Cause the latter seems all too likely..

I basically haven't played Hog since July so I'm still getting the hang of it basically. I was also trying to practice my right click - hook combo since I haven't used that previously. Definitely something to improve on.

I do need to work on hitting Rein shields since it helps the team break it down and I'm usually focused on my own thing.

Yeah, like I said, your stats are really good. It's just that there is something missing usually if stuff like that comes off. Like it could have been that the rest of the team couldn't outdamage the shield and just lost because of that or something even though you were getting picks and damage in. Like with those stats there's no way you won't rise overall as long as you play with the team.

Alucrid

Banned
My bad, the hook clipped through the wall for a bit so I though she got got hooked through the wall. But wouldn't stopping momentum just make it the same as it is now? If this situation were to happen on live, Zarya would have been hooked in, and stopping the momentum after hook would just make these scenarios happen the same right?

presumably people would feel less cheated if they were stopped in place when the hook hits, then dragged in as opposed to being hit with the hook, momentum taking them behind something, then moved back to where the hook hit and then dragged in.

The ability to freeze and kill any non-tank no problem is OP. She's difficult to kill if she gets in close.

her left click? rein can kite it, zarya has bubble, dva can escape. i never found that to be terrible. unless you get bated and separated by a wall.

Apathy

I wonder how the los cut off is. Like can you hook a rein whose arm and right side are around the corner and you can see? Or would it just hook and drop the hook? Cause the latter seems all too likely.

it's 20%. You need to be able to see 20% of the hero you hook or it will break

presumably people would feel less cheated if they were stopped in place when the hook hits, then dragged in as opposed to being hit with the hook, momentum taking them behind something, then moved back to where the hook hit and then dragged in.

Oh but see then people would have to admit they were dumb and got caught out. that would never ever fly.

The ability to freeze and kill any non-tank no problem is OP. She's difficult to kill if she gets in close.

Don't let her get close then.
If you watch high level play of Mei you'll notice that they'll barely use freeze because most people can get away from her in time and outdamage her easily. They almost exclusively use the icicle shot.
Her strengths are the wall, her ult and her ability to stall for time by cryofreezing on point.

Woo-Fu

Banned
her left click? rein can kite it, zarya has bubble, dva can escape. i never found that to be terrible. unless you get bated and separated by a wall.

You might want to read what he said again. In particular, the bit that went "non-tank". He specifically talks about what she can do vs. non-tanks and then you counter with it not working vs. rein(a tank), zarya(a tank), and dva(a tank). LOL.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Don't let her get close then.
If you watch high level play of Mei you'll notice that they'll barely use freeze because most people can get away from her in time and outdamage her easily. They almost exclusively use the icicle shot.
Her strengths are the wall, her ult and her ability to stall for time by cryofreezing on point.

Eh, not really that true. Yeah you should be poking and dueling at midrange with icicle but you use freeze too in a group fight because a freeze is a guaranteed pick for the team.

Alucrid

Banned
You might want to read what he said again. In particular, the bit that went "non-tank". He specifically talks about what she can do vs. non-tanks and then you counter with it not working vs. rein(a tank), zarya(a tank), and dva(a tank). LOL.

oh i was following it up from this post

Soldier is slightly more understandable due to his low HP and vulnerability to tanks at least, but I have no idea how Mei hasn't been nerfed.

She's pretty much the best character 1 on 1, easily.

that didn't omit tanks. but still, any good mei will have probably filled you with icicles before she's in range to freeze you. and if she's freezing you your team probably lost the fight awhile ago.

Pancake Mix

Mccree can do the same thing and he doesn't take 2 seconds to stun anyone.

McCree's flashbang is not comparable. It may be instant, but:
-It has a long cooldown period compared to none for Mei (except reloading)
-Stuns briefly and has half the range
-Even after successfullly stunning, when you're on console, you actually need to be able to aim with McCree which is more difficult with analogue sticks.
-All of his other moves are terrible. He cannot hide in a iceberg for protection or build a wall, a great wall.

http://overwatch.gamepedia.com/McCree#Flashbang

http://overwatch.gamepedia.com/Mei#Endothermic_Blaster

You shouldn't 1v1 her from up close if you can't kill her fast enough. You have 5 other people with you.

True.

All three characters you mentioned are tanks. I acknowledged how they're best against her, unless you get lucky with a flashbang from McCree to stop her from trolling.

Antiwhippy

McCree's flashbang is not comparable. It may be instant, but:
-It has a long cooldown period compared to none for Mei (except reloading)
-Stuns briefly and has half the range. The latter points makes it objectively harder to stun with him.
-Even after successfullly stunning, when you're on console, you actually need to be able to aim with McCree which is more difficult with analogue sticks.
-All of his other moves are terrible. He cannot hide in a iceberg for protection or build a wall, a great wall.

Oh you're console.

Guess that explains it.

Pancake Mix

Oh you're console.

Guess that explains it.

Yes, on console the sniping characters are extremely unpopular and the easiest (and seemingly only easy) way to counter Mei is to mow her down as a tank, which happens often and makes her not incredibly popular either.

But the points about McCree's flashbang not being as good are valid anywhere given it has a smaller range, a shorter duration, and a long cooldown. That's objective fact. That he can stop Mei in her tracks (if the flashbang has cooled down) doesn't matter when we're talking how deadly Mei is at close range for most other characters.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Seagull's last ivdeo has Hog hooking him in all sorts of bullshit ways that he shouldn't get.
and now won't get.

Fuck Roadhog. Let him die.

Alucrid

Banned
Yes, on console the sniping characters are extremely unpopular and the easiest (and seemingly only easy) way to counter Mei is to mow her down as a tank, which happens often and makes her not incredibly popular either.

But the points about McCree's flashbang not being as good are valid anywhere given it has a smaller range, a shorter duration, and a long cooldown. That's objective fact.

or, you know, teamwork

Antiwhippy

But the points about McCree's flashbang not being as good are valid anywhere given it has a smaller range, a shorter duration, and a long cooldown. That's objective fact.

It's also instant. Which is a very important thing.

Still, they don't balance for console other than the weird turret nerfs. And lmao if anyone of PC thinks that mei can out 1v1 a mccree.

Azerare

I wish Mei would get nerfed on that freeze gun lingering crap. That or icicle she shouldn't have both along with manageable self heals.

Pancake Mix

or, you know, teamwork

A4FDJdN.gif

It's also instant. Which is a very important thing.

Still, they don't balance for console other than the weird turret nerfs. And lmao if anyone of PC thinks that mei can out 1v1 a mccree.

Right, you have a point in that he can kill Mei because of that. He has an effective counter, even on console if you have amazing aim.

I'm sure with mouse aim it'd be easier, indeed, and the game is balanced with that in mind, for sure.

Top Bottom