• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

As a Lucio player the Roadhog nerfs to hook are great, no more being pulled through buildings.
a0G0k.gif

yes I sure do love to get an indication that I hit an enemy and then for it to not register and have my cooldown activated anyway, that'll surely make the overall bullshit meter go down

lucio is one of the few 200 heroes that could survive the roadhog combo anyway

Today was one for the history books. Went about 1-10 in groups and dropped below 3000 for the first time since hitting diamond in season 2. I know I said I don't care about ranj anymore, but below 3000 is a pride thing.

Figured I'd do well in solo queue. Won one game. Then on Numbani we had a great offense up to the second point then we got absolutely wrecked from that point. I've never seen anything like it. They were spawn camping us on the streets. We never got the payload another inch. I have no clue what was going wrong. It was infuriating.

Then our Soldier called IM_GAY_BRUH switched to Junkrat, and left at the end of the round. Perfect cap on this day.

I need a new game for awhile. But I feel like Overwatch will still have its hooks in me.

?

Unless he gets hooked to a weird position, it's a sure kill. Or maybe I didn't understand what you meant.

in my experience with the constant self-healing or speed boost I've had lucios survive even a hook + R2 + melee

Honestly I'd rather have Roadhog have only 500 health and make the cooldown on hook like 10 seconds compared to messing with established hook connects

Overwatch has demoralized me, its back to delivering letters and finding lost cats in ff15.

Right now even watching ROTR cutscenes/writing seems a better experience than OW for me.
P4Yl3BX.png

Today was one for the history books. Went about 1-10 in groups and dropped below 3000 for the first time since hitting diamond in season 2. I know I said I don't care about ranj anymore, but below 3000 is a pride thing.

Figured I'd do well in solo queue. Won one game. Then on Numbani we had a great offense up to the second point then we got absolutely wrecked from that point. I've never seen anything like it. They were spawn camping us on the streets. We never got the payload another inch. I have no clue what was going wrong. It was infuriating.

Then our Soldier called IM_GAY_BRUH switched to Junkrat, and left at the end of the round. Perfect cap on this day.

I need a new game for awhile. But I feel like Overwatch will still have its hooks in me.

I don't know what the hell is going on, but I'm just forgetting this day ever happened.

in my experience with the constant self-healing or speed boost I've had lucios survive even a hook + RT + melee

Honestly I'd rather have Roadhog have only 500 health and make the cooldown on hook like 10 seconds compared to messing with established hook connects

Hum can't say the same, don't even need the melee, he gets pulled right in the center of my crosshair.

lmao

He jinxed it, all is explained now.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
in my experience with the constant self-healing or speed boost I've had lucios survive even a hook + RT + melee

P4Yl3BX.png

You shouldn't need the melee combo on Lucio, just the initial shot bursts him down since his hitbox is pretty wide. It's more important to hold shoot down during the hook for him compared to some others since if you delay it at all you'll get booped asap.

Iffiest ones for me with 200 hp have always been Ana, Symmetra and Sombra due to super slim hitboxes so I usually need to walk forward.

I think the momentum breaks looks to be a little extreme but there's a few things I could see happen. One would be reduce the CD on hook if it connects then snaps, another would be freezing people in place as it hits.

You shouldn't need the melee combo on Lucio, just the initial shot bursts him down since his hitbox is pretty wide. It's more important to hold shoot down during the hook for him compared to some others since if you delay it at all you'll get booped asap.

Iffiest ones for me with 200 hp have always been Ana, Symmetra and Sombra due to super slim hitboxes so I usually need to walk forward.

I think the momentum breaks looks to be a little extreme but there's a few things I could see happen. One would be reduce the CD on hook if it connects then snaps, another would be freezing people in place as it hits.
Oh yeah that's another thing, the booping

And I've heard of the holding down fire thing but I never really messed with it because it seemed counterintuitive, probably should start to get used to it now that half my hooks aren't even gonna pull an enemy in.

Only heroes I've ever had trouble comboing are Widow and Ana due to hitbox stuff. Lucio has always been a one shot.

Hope they implement a freeze on the hook. The momentum affecting LoS unhooking is ridiculous as seen in previously posted vids.

maomaoIYP

lucio is one of the few 200 heroes that could survive the roadhog combo anyway

95% of the time if I hook a Lucio he's dead. That 5% is when I get the hook on some strange off axis angle or elevation. Usually even the melee isn't needed.
The 200 health heroes who tend to survive a hook shot melee combo in my experience are:
Soldier: melee is sometimes out of reach
Hanzo: doesn't pull him close enough
Ana: odd sized hit box
Sombra: always seems to manage to teleport before she dies
You can even get the occasional instagib on Reaper or Mei if you aim for the head instead of center mass.

Anne

I get the impression that Blizzard isn't happy with Roadhog literally strolling about in fights and throwing hooks without any regards to positioning. The changes make it so Roadhog has to be crazy specific with how he wants to space and go for hooks now. I feel like this is overall a good direction for him. Still, that LoS check seems extremely unforgiving. I think it's sensible to see some despair, but understand his fundamental game plan has changed and it will take some adjusting.

Literally before Roadhog could appear anywhere in a fight regardless of LoS and get instagibs. The character design is looking to move completely away from that, so I'd set up LoS expectations based around that.

Ana is still the best support in the game, but Zen can compete at least and trip tank might be dumped anyways since D.Va + RH nerfs.

I still think Soldier is relatively fine, but I can't know for sure until there is a metagame where DPS besides him are remotely viable against the top team comp. He might end up a bit overtuned, but I doubt it's anything too crazy. I do think he'll still be a very strong + stable metapick, but with room for McCree/Tracer/Genji/Pharah/Reaper to shine in more specialized spots he shouldn't be crazy overused.

Dunno enough about D.Va nerfs. The math says she's going to get fucked up a bit more. I would've tried 300/300 first. I think the gun nerf isn't so bad at all and kinda helps out with consistency issues. She absolutely can't fuck with Soldier 1v1 anymore, which is good. DM is still hilariously absurd, and she still has the ability to harass things like McCree so there's something there, but the health pool makes her seem risky pick status.

Everything is pointing to a very pick happy DPS favored metagame if Ana can't push through enough health, which I think she can't now. Solider/Zen seems mad good, dive comps seem really good again, Hanzo/Widow might finally be really relevant.

Harbleu sounds so sad. Watching him play Hog is amazing, I'll miss it.

It should really refund the coodown if you land the hook and they break LoS, stupid that it doesn't.

Literally before Roadhog could appear anywhere in a fight regardless of LoS and get instagibs. The character design is looking to move completely away from that, so I'd set up LoS expectations based around that.

If you can't hear Roadhogs plodding footsteps approaching then you deserve to get hooked.
Positioning has always been key to this game and Roadhog was king at punishing those out of position. God forbid people had to actually pay attention. Roadhog is far less effective against a tightly grouped team with tanks that actually protect their supports or dps/supports standing away out of danger. Honestly Roadhog is only really a problem against disorganized teams.

Anne

Fam I can be fully committed to a fight where I have to position and play around cover, and Roadhog could literally just walk into the fight and clip me even if I react to break LoS. There's no "deserving to get hooked" a lot of the time lol I know he's there but it's impossible to play around unless I straight get out the fight.

Blizzard doesn't want that so they're changing directions with the character to make him really all about positioning rather than occasionally needing to crouch walk behind something.

"only a problem against disorganized teams" is a funny thing to say when he was a huge problem at the highest levels of play lmao

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

It should really refund the coodown if you land the hook and they break LoS, stupid that it doesn't.

The whole point is to punish risky hooks that do not land, not make it easy to spam.

Like maybe they made the requirements to land hooks a bit too harsh but refunding CD is not the way to go.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

Refund?
That's stupid, you burned your CD, it's attached but LOS was taken away, tough luck wait, try again
If players are rewarded for Oh you almost had it, try again right away, that's not a good precedence to set

Have your LOS and press the Hook and earn it
There was some bullshit Roadhogs abused for way too long, now you have to adjust like everyone else got nerfed or adjusted

Now missing or not being in the right place your a liability until its back up
Risk/Reward mentality, make your Hooks count!

Antiwhippy

Like maybe don't let stuff like poles break LoS but I have no problem with hog not being able to hook people peeking corners.

Imagine if Rein continued to attempt to charge an enemy despite knowing there's a lamp post between them
Is this a joke post? If not, I'm sure you know how dumb it sounds.

The whole point is to punish risky hooks that do not land, not make it easy to spam.

Like maybe they made the requirements to land hooks a bit too harsh but refunding CD is not the way to go.
You'd call that first hook on Lucio risky??? It's not about being able to spam. Punishing you for landing a hook is stupid.

Anne

Like in that gyfcat, the first part is not okay. That shouldn't happen and is too strict.

The second part though? I think it's okay for Roadhog to have to hold hook until that person commits to breaking out more into the open. If the reward for him is going to be consistent gibs then he should be forced to play that hook carefully.

Refund?
That's stupid, you burned your CD, it's attached but LOS was taken away, tough luck wait, try again
If players are rewarded for Oh you almost had it, try again right away, that's not a good precedence to set

Have your LOS and press the Hook and earn it
There was some bullshit Roadhogs abused for way too long, now you have to adjust like everyone else got nerfed or adjusted

Now missing or not being in the right place your a liability until its back up
Risk/Reward mentality, make your Hooks count!
Lmao. You are LANDING the hook. It's not a 'close but no' you literally hit them. Why is that so hard for people to get? You can make a perfect hook in what looks like a wide open area, oh but Lucio happened to be jumping behind a lamppost so you get fucked.

Yeah I really don't understand how people are ok with hooks breaking despite landing them a half second before.

That'll make me rage more than any bullshit hook gib.

Like in that gyfcat, the first part is not okay. That shouldn't happen and is too strict.

The second part though? I think it's okay for Roadhog to have to hold hook until that person commits to breaking out more into the open. If the reward for him is going to be consistent gibs then he should be forced to play that hook carefully.
In the second portion of that gif, the third hook feels like it should have roped her in (a little "1" pops up near Mei).

I mean, couldn't someone just link you roadhog hooking people through walls as a counter point here?
Nobody is defending that, but the character shouldn't be ruined, either.

Anne

I think that the part I like about the hook change is that it is now extremely clear what Roadhog's zone of influence consists of. I don't like having to play a guessing game on whether LoS actually matters based on the general area I know Roadhog is in. That's a change for the better. It also makes it easier in a fast moment to understand what you need to do to break out of hook rather than just guess where cover actually counts/

If they made LoS a bit less strict with how it interacts with momentum I think it'd be fine tbh.

I think that the part I like about the hook change is that it is now extremely clear what Roadhog's zone of influence consists of. I don't like having to play a guessing game on whether LoS actually matters based on the general area I know Roadhog is in. That's a change for the better. It also makes it easier in a fast moment to understand what you need to do to break out of hook rather than just guess where cover actually counts/

If they made LoS a bit less strict with how it interacts with momentum I think it'd be fine tbh.
His zone of influence is only when people are out in wide open areas with no cover whatsoever now apparently.

GraveRobberX

That First Lucio link, that could be adjusted
The second is perfect, why on earth would the hook go through the pole

Remember that vid/gif with McCree vs Mei on Numbani, by the long archway at the back area
He tried to pull High Noon on her, what did the Mei do?, LoS behind the tree and made him burn it

Should McCree get refunded cause something was in the way

Hook getting attached and releasing due to LoS, should make for better Roadhog players
Adjust your way of hooking
Most hid behind corners, got the comm from teammates to go for a pull/opening, run out, hook, pull, get the bullshit mechanic to trigger, kill

Now you have to learn the angles and when to Hook your enemy, before Roadhog wasn't punished, now he is, game is better for it

Anne

His zone of influence is only when people are out in wide open areas with no cover whatsoever now apparently.

Well, with the general map design I'm kind of fine with that? Overwatch has no shortage of wide open spaces people have to fight in. Like I said, the LoS check being slightly less strict so weird, small pieces of geometry don't kill it would be okay. That tree + planter thing in the second part of the gyfcat seems like something I'd use as actual cover to deal with hook. The only reason it looks so wonky is the weird momentum interaction with the LoS check since Lucio is dancing around.

I'm not going to stop playing or anything. I haven't been a Hog main since season 1, I'll live.

I just find him one of the most fun heroes to watch, play, and play around. I just love the character and kit.

If the tank meta still remains but now it's Zarya, Rein, and Dva instead of Hog... God damn the one thing to make this awful meta more boring is to remove the best character in it.

Nimby

Banned
Blizzard has all the tools to just say, ya know lets try this 30% LoS on Roadhog hook, lets try 300/300 for D.Va, let's adjust this about Ana to see if Mercy becomes a little more favored, lets try out this Soldier adjustment.

But they won't.,

Antiwhippy

Blizzard has all the tools to just say, ya know lets try this 30% LoS on Roadhog hook, lets try 300/300 for D.Va, let's adjust this about Ana to see if Mercy becomes a little more favored, lets try out this Soldier adjustment.

But they won't.,

PTR just does not have the population of live.

I'm not going to stop playing or anything. I haven't been a Hog main since season 1, I'll live.

I just find him one of the most fun heroes to watch, play, and play around. I just love the character and kit.

If the tank meta still remains but now it's Zarya, Rein, and Dva instead of Hog... God damn the one thing to make this awful meta more boring is to remove the best character in it.

I highly doubt the tank meta will be back if these changes go live.

GraveRobberX

Lmao. You are LANDING the hook. It's not a 'close but no' you literally hit them. Why is that so hard for people to get? You can make a perfect hook in what looks like a wide open area, oh but Lucio happened to be jumping behind a lamppost so you get fucked.

So 1 mobile character, from 1 scenario has deemed Roadhog broken, give me a break
Now if you can do this on every map with every Hero and Roadhog hook attaches yet he gets no pull then yes, I will come to your side

So when Roadhog was broken the other wat, when he could hook behind cover or grab you even though environmental gave you covet, its OK?

So the tables have turned, from everyone else going that Hooks bullshit to Roadhogs going bullshit I had that Hook!
The patch just released, one little gif isn't telling, you have to prove to me at least multiple Heroes can pull off that Lucio thing and hurt Roadhog potential until then, its just a one off

Nimby

Banned
PTR just does not have the population of live.

Probably an easily answered question. Why doesn't Blizzard just make a separate mode for balance changes on the live server?

But really, why isn't it in their best interest to just work with the community to compromise on these changes instead of having broken or worthless characters in the game for the next 1-2 months?

thats always gonna be the case with a meta though. theres almost no way to balance out the game so every hero has an equal chance of being played. sometimes you just have to suck it up and accept the hero you like is ass tier.

and honestly, you should never use community feedback for balancing. no offense, but most players are fucking morons and have no business asking for any kind of changes.

Antiwhippy

Probably an easily answered question. Why doesn't Blizzard just make a separate mode for balance changes on the live server?

But really, why isn't it in their best interest to just work with the community to compromise on these changes instead of having broken or worthless characters in the game for the next 1-2 months?

Because that's kind of an impossible task? Like there are very few competitive games where every option/character is equally viable.

At some point you're balancing to what feels good for the entire game in general and not to make it specifically balanced.

Like fuck man, can you think of a fighting game that's completely balanced? I love arc system works but they have some bonkers broken shit in their gamex, and back then it lasts the entire revision, not tweaked every few weeks.

I think I'll just buy golden nuts and play Zenyatta all the time. He's super fun, viable, no immediate danger of a nerf or buff, and the world could always use more supports.

He's also one of the few characters where I feel like I can follow what is happening in a match in this weird meta.

thats always gonna be the case with a meta though. theres almost no way to balance out the game so every hero has an equal chance of being played. sometimes you just have to suck it up and accept the hero you like is ass tier.

and honestly, you should never use community feedback for balancing. no offense, but most players are fucking morons and have no business asking for any kind of changes.
You're right that it's impossible to have every character be equally viable, but I don't think characters need to be "ass tier", either.

they should still nerf reinhardt though

he's too much of an anchor for every team
Let Roadhog hook through shields. :-D

Put in over 20 hours since the new Oasis map was launched and didnt get to play it even once. I finally configured my router to be on Open NAT status and Oasis is the first map I get. Fuck Strict NAT!

Top Bottom