• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

What? I'm just tired of teams picking a scapegoat and pretending that a SINGULAR pick is making the team lose. What if our team decided to run triple tank + soldier, and were losing. No one would blame the soldier, because they are running what is considered a standard comp.

None of this "derp I don't think soldier 76 is working". I have never heard that in the history of playing comp, and I've played enough to get two golden weapons. play widowmaker, play hanzo, play who you can carry with. I'm about to hit diamond after making it my mission to instalock junk, because I know I can put people on my back with him.

Instalocking junk no matter the map, or rest of the team, or whether you're on attack or defense, just makes you a toxic player. Junkrat is not a terrible hero, but he's highly situational, and getting gold damage on him is meaningless.

And I've seen plenty of bad soldiers getting called out on it.

But honestly this is the problem with the game. The meta is too rigid for a game that lets anyone pick any hero at any time. Right now it's in the awkward middle ground between MOBA-like team comps and "anything goes". obviously certain comps are always going to be better than others but the amount of characters that are basically must-picks now is kind of alarming. It takes Blizz way too long to make obvious balance changes too.

Blues1990

Game changer.

It's the best buff/nerf, and the only one, we'll ever need.

Oh thanks for reminding me about those. Was about to ask what voice line to use on Reinhardt out of naughty list, crusader online or bring me another
which one to use until the update is live

Unfortunately, all of my unlocks from my main account haven't been transferred to the PTR, so I can't equip most of the seasonal event cosmetics. I'm surprised they haven't done this yet.

oh man I didn't even think of interrupting your own voice lines

"You are already SAKE!"

I'm just trying to think of other ones for the characters that I play the most. Mei, Zarya, and Lucio are giving me the most trouble right now.

The only one from the gifs that needs to be fixed is the first Lucio hook. The rest are completely fine and should've always worked like that. How is it fair that Roadhog can peak, cast hook and then go behind cover whilst hook is thrown? That's always been broken. If going behind cover causes you to lose LOS on target, the hook should definitely break.

It really is embarrassing the amount of people defending a mechanic that lets you get free picks every 6 seconds whilst exploiting cover on both yourself and the enemy.

That's not very fair.

I'm trying to offer a discussion and you're hand waving my thoughts away as an embarrassment.

I'd like to think I do a pretty decent job of seeing the big picture here, and remain unbaised.

I'd like to think I've participated in enough healthy conversations around here that I could be given the benefit of the doubt when it comes to something like this. You didn't see me over reacting over the Zarya nerf despite her being my most played in Season 2.

I'm just trying to think of other ones for the characters that I play the most. Mei, Zarya, and Lucio are giving me the most trouble right now.

Zarya's "No Mercy" first half would be good to combo with stuff but I'm blanking on her other lines

if she has one about world peace that'd be funny

MrPanic

What the heck, the hook breaking after breaking line of sight is one thing, but not even connecting while 80% of the character is in sight is absolutely ridiculous. They should've at least gave if it a half second stun on hit to compensate for the fact that you can't reel in anything with even a sliver of cover, dammit Blizzard.

Might need to install the ptr again and check it out myself. Since hog is one of my mains and by far my favorite character in the game, I must know if Bliz ruined the game for me.

antitrop

I'm glad I got my hooks in on Season 1 while I could.

Watching Harbleu's stream last night was depressing, it was like a memorial service.

LiK

Instalocking junk no matter the map, or rest of the team, or whether you're on attack or defense, just makes you a toxic player. Junkrat is not a terrible hero, but he's highly situational, and getting gold damage on him is meaningless.

But honestly this is the problem with the game. The meta is too rigid for a game that lets anyone pick any hero at any time. Right now it's in the awkward middle ground between MOBA-like team comps and "anything goes". obviously certain comps are always going to be better than others but the amount of characters that are basically must-picks now is kind of alarming. It takes Blizz way too long to make obvious balance changes too.

Instalocking anyone and not switching when things are going bad is not good in general. Every hero is viable if the player is proficient. I don't mind people instalocking whoever they think they're good at. If they're sucking then that's their fault but if they're doing well, who am I to judge their picks? Junk is fine.

Nimby

Banned
I don't think people are understanding how broken and abusive hook was. Roadhog can, on live servers, throw his hook on the church balcony in Dorado from the streets, and catch someone without seeing them. This change is to prevent instances like that, and while they could probably tune the LoS restrictions to make the hook "feel" better for Roadhog players, it is just simply not the way this character should operate and Blizzard ultimately agreed.

Plesiades

Nice of Blizzard to add a "Allow backwards wall ride" option for Lúcio. That said, it's clearly in early development. The camera clips through the enviroment sometimes and the viewmodel animations are non-existent/broken.

I don't think people are understanding how broken and abusive hook was. Roadhog can, on live servers, throw his hook on the church balcony in Dorado from the streets, and catch someone without seeing them. This change is to prevent instances like that, and while they could probably tune the LoS restrictions to make the hook "feel" better for Roadhog players, it is just simply not the way this character should operate and Blizzard ultimately agreed.

Whatever this change was intended to do, it's not doing. It's going way beyond the intended "fixes" at this point.

Plus, as I've said several times on these boards, a lot of people have a problem because they don't understand that the hook re-centers itself once it makes contact with the hitbox of a target. Which makes it seem like it's breaking through walls, when that isn't really the case.

So what's a good way to deal with Junkrat? Spread out? Flank him?

Pharah. He can't really touch her unless she chases him into a small hallway or something.

Edit: Also, count his shots. His clip size is 5, and it's not too hard to move in/up when he's reloading.

JHall

Soldier has a decent kit no doubt, but can't really vs crowds of enemies, junkrat can do it with ease. Soldier is decent for 3v3 mode, but terrible for anything else. His ult is hard countered by shields, junkrats ult just walks right through it.

What did I just read?

Nimby

Banned
Whatever this change was intended to do, it's not doing. It's going way beyond the intended "fixes" at this point.

Plus, as I've said several times on these boards, a lot of people have a problem because they don't understand that the hook re-centers itself once it makes contact with the hitbox of a target. Which makes it seem like it's breaking through walls, when that isn't really the case.

It's making the hook feel fair to those on the receiving end, and in hindsight limits the amount of picks he can get reliably. While hooking enemies, brings them closer so you don't get weird instances where the hook didn't pull the hero far enough to kill.

It's making the hook feel fair to those on the receiving end, and in hindsight limits the amount of picks he can get reliably. While hooking enemies, brings them closer so you don't get weird instances where the hook didn't pull the hero far enough to kill.

At the cost of making the hook feel unfair to the roadhog who actually landed the hook (which is just going to cause people to stop playing Roadhog). Bringing enemies closer in is a horrible trade off, and honestly results in some pretty unbalanced kills such as:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXWR9WN4KaU&feature=youtu.be

I'm sorry, but being able to Hook Combo kill a Zarya is wrong. This shouldn't be a tradeoff.

cyborg009

Banned
feels so good to be back. I ripped a team apart that was using 4 tanks as reaper.

edit: I was mad on attack since our healers were playing so aggressive.

I think a small dmg buff would be nice

Or less spray

Don't want her to be stepping on tracer's toes but something small would be great
I think she just needs quality of life changes

You shouldn't get knocked out of invis if you press hack but don't actually start hacking

You should be able to hack while taking damage even if they have to increase the hack time

The speed boost should apply as soon as she goes invisible

I don't think she needs high damage, I'd rather her be better at utility/harassing

Nimby

Banned
At the cost of making the hook feel unfair to the roadhog who actually landed the hook (which is just going to cause people to stop playing Roadhog). Bringing enemies closer in is a horrible trade off, and honestly results in some pretty unbalanced kills such as:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXWR9WN4KaU&feature=youtu.be

I'm sorry, but being able to Hook Combo kill a Zarya is wrong. This shouldn't be a tradeoff.

Zarya is probably unintended, but really? Hook as an ability is much more than just an insta-gib ability. How is an ability that also drags someone straight into your teammates where they can easily kill them if hook combo misses more balanced than just finishing someone off with your left-click anyway. The end result is the same, and if you manage to escape a hook like that then you have some damn good resilient teammates. Most teams would just burn through the Zarya shield used to save someone from hook anyway.

Ocho

What? I'm just tired of teams picking a scapegoat and pretending that a SINGULAR pick is making the team lose. What if our team decided to run triple tank + soldier, and were losing. No one would blame the soldier, because they are running what is considered a standard comp.

None of this "derp I don't think soldier 76 is working". I have never heard that in the history of playing comp, and I've played enough to get two golden weapons. play widowmaker, play hanzo, play who you can carry with. I'm about to hit diamond after making it my mission to instalock junk, because I know I can put people on my back with him.

I'm lost. Weren't you arguing Soldier was only good on 3v3s? Cuz that's :)

Zarya is probably unintended, but really? Hook as an ability is much more than just an insta-gib ability. How is an ability that also drags someone straight into your teammates where they can easily kill them if hook combo misses more balanced than just finishing someone off with your left-click anyway. The end result is the same, and if you manage to escape a hook like that then you have some damn good resilient teammates. Most teams would just burn through the Zarya shield used to save someone from hook anyway.

I think you're writing the scenario specifically to back your argument.

There are plenty of times where people live from hooks, be it a fault of the Roadhog's team, or a good play by the victim's team.

Plus, I feel like every conversation has been going into this like every Roadhog lands every hook, every 6 seconds.

I'm a Top 500 player and my hook accuracy is still around 52%.

I'm not trying to discredit that the out of position factor is a great benefit of the hook. I'm not even saying current live hook is perfect. I'm just saying that the changes that are currently on the PTR are worse. The improvements shouldn't be there, and the negatives make the character feel worthless.

If the current PTR hook goes live, I'm telling you, you're going to see Roadhog's play percentage drop to Bastion levels.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Why is there always a Hanzo in my team in QP? I mean... i know its QP, people can play what they want, but why is he so popular? Is it the cool thing to play with a bow these days?

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
If they simply raised Roadhog hook cooldown I think that would be great.

6 seconds is really low for a ability that has a giant combo kill potential.

On other note, the matchmaking sometimes is really poor. Just played a game where my team was 3 golds/3 silver against a 3 gold/2 platinum/1 silver.

Why is there always a Hanzo in my team in QP? I mean... i know its QP, people can play what they want, but why is he so popular? Is it the cool thing to play with a bow these days?

Getting kills with him is satisfying. That's really all there is to it.

I never really played the character, but when I was given him during the Mystery Heroes events I found myself enjoying the character.

Honestly, most characters that can 1HKO somebody feels very powerful and satisfying.

Headshots with Widow feel great, but on console... good luck with that.
Hanzo can headshot or scatter shot alot of targets for a 1HKO.
Roadhog's hook combo can 1HKO a lot of squishy targets.
Lucio and Pharah can land some easy environmental kills.
Landing Rein's charge is pretty satsfying...

You get the idea.

Paltheos

Every hero is viable if the player is proficient.

That's dubious. If Shadowburn is switching off Genji consistently, that tells me otherwise.

I watched him try Genji again last night a couple times. Did not go well. On the flip side, I've seen him perform better sometimes when he's switched back to Genji against similar comps, but... this isn't the impression I've had.

studyguy

Hook should have just been an instant confirm and pull from the start. Or at the very least kill momentum on contact. It feels super flakey now. I get bullshit pulls but confirming a hook feels completely off now.

Nimby

Banned
I'm not trying to discredit that the out of position factor is a great benefit of the hook. I'm not even saying current live hook is perfect. I'm just saying that the changes that are currently on the PTR are worse. The improvements shouldn't be there, and the negatives make the character feel worthless.

If the current PTR hook goes live, I'm telling you, you're going to see Roadhog's play percentage drop to Bastion levels.

Roadhog should not be a hero who is picked often, the same with other heroes whose main purpose is to get key picks early in fights. These characters need to have limiting factors to keep them in check and Roadhog even without Ana heals being OP got away with too much. And no, hook still works pretty good while abiding by these new rules, Roadhog mains will just have to position better, and be patient to secure hooks. And if Roadhog drops out of favor, it's because Ana heals can't keep him up anymore. His right-click is one of the best shield destroyers in the game, and his DPS without hook is still very good.

EDIT: And I personally think the LoS restrictions currently in place on PTR are too much, but a system like that doesn't need to be discarded. Blizzard has all the liberties to experiment with this, and make sure he isn't trash once the PTR lifts or even just releasing a patch to fix him straight to the live server.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.

How is instalocking a character you're good at toxic? No one is gonna yell at the reinhart or ana who instalocked. Junkrat is viable on every map, regardless of attack or defense. Suggesting the junkrat to switch at the beginning of the game is not helpful, it just makes you look selfish.

studyguy

Honestly PTR hook hitting live feels like it'd the most Blizzard thing ever lol. I don't like it but I've come to terms with it.

Top Bottom