• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Oh, sorry, it's late on the west coast and I'm not processing information properly :p

I see that happening in Top 500/GM game streams all the time, usually watching sinatraa/calvin, surefour, mendo, iddqd, Harbleu, etc., and it practically never ends well. Always funniest when it happens to sinatraa, because he's not afraid to be toxic post-match and let people know they are braindead.

TBF I see sdome pro streams that love to mess around as well and they make it wrok more often than not.

Off-meta character choices are fine once you realise that you're taking a risk and hence should be first to switch if it's not working out. People who whine constantly from character select because they don't like a certain hero are more annoying and detrimental to the teams winning ability a lot of the time.

finalflame

Off-meta character choices are fine once you realise that you're taking a risk and hence should be first to switch if it's not working out. People who whine constantly from character select because they don't like a certain hero are more annoying and detrimental to the teams winning ability a lot of the time.

I rarely see this happening, and far more often see people that refuse to switch when it doesn't work even though the team was willing to give it a shot, go silent, or never joined team voice/chat at all. It's the "I'll play whatever I want to have fun and fuck the team" mentality, for which there is no room in competitive mode, and should be grounds for a ban.

TBF I see sdome pro streams that love to mess around as well and they make it wrok more often than not.

I see weird picks work every so often, but I see it not work far more often, especially when the person making the troll pick is stubborn about switching. Then again the pros who stream are usually some of the best, and pretty capable of carrying even at such a high ELO.

Edit: LOL, Calvin is playing with the most toxic random Korean dude right now. "You fooking suck, fuck you", "You are very mean, I block you", "Oooh, thank you very much". I love this kind of shit.

Edit 2: End of the match mentioned above and Calvin pops his graviton into DM, hilarity ensues: https://clips.twitch.tv/aimbotcalvin/WonderfulDuckDuDudu

Not in the clip but they won the match a few seconds later. This was so fun to watch :D

KiraFA37

Anyone want to play on PC(EU) later today?
Try and help someone(me) get over that hill to Diamond(I am on 2935 unless Blizz reduced it overnight).

BossDarkseid#2901

Is there a Gaf "clan" for Overwatch/Blizz games on PC?

Quote the OP to reveal a link to the GAF discord and ask some people in there. Also I added you already, just send me an invite when I'm in game if you wanna group up. I'll be on this evening.

Sayad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R6QEzkGUXU

Some talking points: There is a significant difference -- mouse movements are much more immediate and precise, movement is all or nothing on PC vs. progressive on consoles. The video goes into much more detail, including specific hero matchups.

On top of that, I play at 240hz/300fps on PC, so playing the game at 60fps is jarring.
The aiming movement speed is a huge difference even if you're just viewing the game, but are there any other actual in game differences when it comes to balancing?! Blizzard said they would balance the game on each platform separately if they had to, but every balance so far has been the same on both platforms including Widow's nerf(due to PC meta) and Torb torrent nerf(due to console meta)!
Edit: ^ this is more directed at the content of the video than flame's post.

Also, the match up example in the video is weird, Genji does counter Bastian on consoles too, and easily so! Should have just pointed to how much of a garbage hero Widow is on console.

finalflame

The aiming movement speed is a huge difference even if you're just viewing the game, but are there any other actual in game differences when it comes to balancing?! Blizzard said they would balance the game on each platform separately if they had to, but every balance so far has been the same on both platforms including Widow's nerf(due to PC meta) and Torb torrent nerf(due to console meta)!

Also, the match up example in the video is weird, Genji does counter Bastian on consoles too, and easily so! Should have just pointed to how much of a garbage hero Widow is on console.

Video is a bit dated, but yah, I don't think Blizzard has stuck to the "we'll balance console & PC differently" thing. Widow is mostly garbage on PC, too. Despite aiming being much better on PC, most people aren't very good at it outside of GM/Top 500.

Quote the OP to reveal a link to the GAF discord and ask some people in there. Also I added you already, just send me an invite when I'm in game if you wanna group up. I'll be on this evening.

Cheers. Doing that now...

Had a team which seemed like it should be all fine on Lijiang Tower. Won Round 1, Lost 2, Lost 3, Won 4, Lost 5. But after Round 3 infighting started between the Diamonds and you could tell we were going to lose.

I'll ask people on GAF Discord in a bit.

Think I'm done trying this season. I hit Master. No shame topping out there.

It's just not fun. Part of the game is understanding that the people on your team and the other team have all hit the same rank. You are all around the same skill level. The ranking system is supposed to create a sort of mutual respect among players who have climbed up. For me, it definitely did last season even if there were often players who felt this wasn't the case. Now it isn't uncommon for me to see people who were around Rank 2500 last season magically sitting around 3500. And if they got better that would be fine, but they still play like they are 2500. No coordination, sitting on the point instead of pushing advantageous positions, passively "attacking" choke points, feeding, trickling, selfishly positioning themselves, failing to adapt to team comps on either team, whining, etc. It's really hard to feel that mutual respect when that happens. I just end up getting progressively more and more angry as the game goes on instead of having the usual banter and fun.

Don't get me wrong, some games are fun. But I'd say every three games I play I get a team with one or two people who have NO CLUE how the game works besides "stand on the point" or something dumb. That might even be fine if I wasn't sitting midway between Master and GM. :/

I'm salty that I can't enjoy my game as much.

finalflame

Think I'm done trying this season. I hit Master. No shame topping out there.

It's just not fun. Part of the game is understanding that the people on your team and the other team have all hit the same rank. You are all around the same skill level. The ranking system is supposed to create a sort of mutual respect among players who have climbed up. For me, it definitely did last season even if there were often players who felt this wasn't the case. Now it isn't uncommon for me to see people who were around Rank 2500 last season magically sitting around 3500. And if they got better that would be fine, but they still play like they are 2500. No coordination, sitting on the point instead of pushing advantageous positions, passively "attacking" choke points, feeding, trickling, selfishly positioning themselves, failing to adapt to team comps on either team, etc.

Don't get me wrong, some games are fun. But I'd say every three games I play I get a team with one or two people who have NO CLUE how the game works besides "stand on the point" or something dumb. That might even be fine if I wasn't sitting midway between Master and GM. :/

I'm salty that I can't enjoy my game as much.

That's rough dude. When I feel down like that I just take a bit of a break to go back refreshed.

On an unrelated note, where's your avatar from? It looks awesome.

Tonkse

Ranked is so annoying solo queue I've just raged off after 4 straight losses.
tZ6AoSq.jpg

caesar

Banned
Cheers. Doing that now...

Had a team which seemed like it should be all fine on Lijiang Tower. Won Round 1, Lost 2, Lost 3, Won 4, Lost 5. But after Round 3 infighting started between the Diamonds and you could tell we were going to lose.

I'll ask people on GAF Discord in a bit.

I added you on my alt goldpleb, will add on my main later.

Playing with friends is the only way to play Overwatch. Solo Q is a shortcut to anger and depression.

Yesterday was the first time on a KotH map in Solo Q where I said "guys we maybe have one or two more pushes left, let's back up near spawn so we don't stagger" and it actually worked.

It was magical.

Still below 2700 though. I was so close to 2800. I can almost taste Diamond, that's all I want fam.

zoukka

Rose 200 SR in one day, sank 200 SR on the next.

Overwatch matchmaking ftw.

Also Sombra is the saddest piece of shit hero ever seen.

NeoRaider

My biggest issue with Sombra is that i can't kill anyone. Ok not anyone, i usually have few kills but that is actually sad.

I hack health pack, i am destroying teleporters/shield generators, turrets... but i can't kill. You really need a good team and communication to be able to do this and most of the time playing Sombra you are alone. Also her Ulti is piece of shit, almost no one ever takes advantage of it and you usually get killed trying to kill after using your Ulti... :/

There is so much for Blizzard to fix here, and i am not even sure they will be able to fix her so ppl would start picking her and having fun playing. I never saw great Sombra, actually i am barely seeing any and that's sad for hero that was hyped like crazy for almost half year.

Hope we have a healthy Xbox one community because I recently sold my ps4 and repurchased this last night. Snowed in and about to start that long climb to level 25 again.

Snagret

Multiple times I've had dudes outright throw the game because they didn't like that we had a Genji or a Hanzo on our team. People who aren't pros thinking the tournament meta even remotely applies to them are by far way worse than the dudes that are just comfortable with one hero and want to stick with that.

Blues1990

I know it's crucial to heal as Ana & it should always be a player's number 1 priority, but when is it the best time to help out with some offense?

Kiko

Holy wow... Just made the mistake of playing late late at night (4-5am) after work on EU PC. First match had a player that spewed hate the whole game even though we did pretty well and won and the second game was just.. Well, Like a 12 year old with terrible english and tourettes from 4/6 members as we got stomped.

I mean every game you'll get one guy calling the team noobs, because of course its never him that's bad, but holy shit. Logged off and won't be doing that again!

Yeah I sometimes play very early on Saturday, like 7am. Complete BS on EU. Just switch to American and you're fine. Higher Lag though.

The trolls are out in full force today in Europe, never seen anything like it. Thank god that for the most part they were on the other team, but this shit is just embarassing. I don't even know exactly what I was doing in those games, but I'll take the wins.

I know it's crucial to heal as Ana & it should always be a player's number 1 priority, but when is it the best time to help out with some offense?

This might sound really dumb, but imo, whenever there's a lull in the action. Not so much do some suicidal solo attack but if your team are healed, maybe lob her E at a few of the enemy team, or help out if someone nearby is in a 1v1 etc. If there's an enemy Widow and no one else is taking care of her for whatever reason then if she's pre occupied try and get a few shots off. Usually you can get two shots off before they move because they're REALLY waiting for that scoped headshot etc.

I only started taking Ana "seriously" a few days ago when I learnt about her synergy but that's...sort of my mentality with her atm.

Edit: Huh, only just learnt your SR gain/loss is partly based on your team's MMR vs other teams MMR, so if yours was lower than opponents, your gains are greater and losses are small...while if your MMR was higher then a loss would be more punishing and a win would give a bit less. Somehow sounds obvious.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Whenever you don't need to heal basically.

But really, remember to use her grenade offensively a lot.

Trey

any time people aren't in danger of dying. remember your burst heal is ridiculous, so you have some leeway to shoot the enemy while the other healer maintains the team.

ana is so good because while she can outheal anyone, her damage is pretty good as well.

Nimby

Banned
Multiple times I've had dudes outright throw the game because they didn't like that we had a Genji or a Hanzo on our team. People who aren't pros thinking the tournament meta even remotely applies to them are by far way worse than the dudes that are just comfortable with one hero and want to stick with that.

but pro teams use genji and hanzo, situationally like this meta dictates.

People like that just look at the meta report or something, see those heroes low on the list and think you should never pick them.

Blues1990

This might sound really dumb, but imo, whenever there's a lull in the action. Not so much do some suicidal solo attack but if your team are healed, maybe lob her E at a few of the enemy team, or help out if someone nearby is in a 1v1 etc. If there's an enemy Widow and no one else is taking care of her for whatever reason then if she's pre occupied try and get a few shots off. Usually you can get two shots off before they move because they're REALLY waiting for that scoped headshot etc.

I only started taking Ana "seriously" a few days ago when I learnt about her synergy but that's...sort of my mentality with her atm.

Edit: Huh, only just learnt your SR gain/loss is partly based on your team's MMR vs other teams MMR, so if yours was lower than opponents, your gains are greater and losses are small...while if your MMR was higher then a loss would be more punishing and a win would give a bit less. Somehow sounds obvious.

Whenever you don't need to heal basically.

But really, remember to use her grenade offensively a lot.

any time people aren't in danger of dying. remember your burst heal is ridiculous, so you have some leeway to shoot the enemy while the other healer maintains the team.

ana is so good because while she can outheal anyone, her damage is pretty good as well.

Ah, thank you for the tips. Yeah, I'm so focused on keeping my team healed (except for the Genji and Winston players that overextend to "No Man's Land", as I can't help their sorry butts), that I sometimes forget that Ana can be pretty vicious with her offensive capabilities.

Hope we have a healthy Xbox one community because I recently sold my ps4 and repurchased this last night. Snowed in and about to start that long climb to level 25 again.
Don't worry about the player base on Xbox One. I always find matches in less than 30 seconds in pretty much any game type. The community is healthy and robust.

TheExodu5

Banned
Playing with friends is the only way to play Overwatch. Solo Q is a shortcut to anger and depression.

Not when your friends refuse to get out of their "main" comfort zones. Playing with 2 friends right now, one is basically a Junkrat/Lucio main, and the other is a Bastion/Reaper main. The latter is quite frustrating because Reaper seems to get shut down so hard with the current meta. People need to get out of their comfort zones and learn to play a variety of heroes to suit the situation and meta.

KiraFA37

I just got called a hacker in a good comp game where I was playing an average Zarya, even my team agreed I was just average. feelsgoodman.gif

Have to say thanks to KiraFA37 for two wins in two great games...

Hollywood and Nepal. Hollywood was 3-3 and in the decider we had 1min and somehow got it all the way so 6-3. Defense was pretty easy, but intense because everyone was rushing. Nepal went 2-2 and was much tighter, I accidentally ulted a D.va on 3hp and we screwed up Ult usage...but we won in the end after Ana(me)/Lucio had to 2v1 a S76 on point...which should be easy but in a tense game it was a bit like that shootout from Police Squad.

In the end we pulled through and won, and I got my SR up to 2955...

But I feel like
raw

Edit: Can confirm KiraFA37 is average as Zarya XD

Meccs

I really despise capture point maps that aren't mirrored or the same for both teams. The maps with just one capture point are so much more fun and balanced.

I also make a note whenever I win or lose a game and the defense maps have way more wins than the attack ones (payload and cp). The only one where this isn't so for me is Route 66 and Numbani. Both are way more open than the other ones. The ones with one capture point have also a balanced win/loss ratio(of course).

I've been learning Sombra and doing pretty well with her lately so it's funny to come in here and see some people just can't grasp her easily.
My favorite thing to do is hack Roadhog and watch him panic and die. Also hacking Mei and watching her realize too late that she can't hide and heal.

I've become pretty good at countering Lucio ultimates and deconstructing tank groups of Roadhog, Dva, Rein. Not to mention hacking Ana so she can't heal.

She's def the most fun I've had with a character. Especially fun hacking Roadhog and McCree out of their ultimates.

2/2 on Nepal comp, feeling good about next round. Match starts, jump out the gate, immediate power outage... Internet never recovers :(

First time this has happened. Do I get banned for a bit or something?

Top Bottom