• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

jviggy43

Hope we have a healthy Xbox one community because I recently sold my ps4 and repurchased this last night. Snowed in and about to start that long climb to level 25 again.

I'd play today if you wanna level your guy up. A few of my friends are leveling up their characters to 25 today as well. (Also first post on neo lol)

I've been learning Sombra and doing pretty well with her lately so it's funny to come in here and see some people just can't grasp her easily.
My favorite thing to do is hack Roadhog and watch him panic and die. Also hacking Mei and watching her realize too late that she can't hide and heal.

I've become pretty good at countering Lucio ultimates and deconstructing tank groups of Roadhog, Dva, Rein. Not to mention hacking Ana so she can't heal.

She's def the most fun I've had with a character. Especially fun hacking Roadhog and McCree out of their ultimates.
But you can win with her in comp either.

Gorillaz

I know isnt it great

It's like one of the reasons I don't like getting attached to character builds in this because of how heavy handed these nerfs could get. I think they had it right with reworking Dva's kit but to then go around and nerf her a few months later?

why sway?

Skii

and yet they probably will

this nerf sounds disgusting as hell

tumblr_oc2jjj4mZh1vvlm2ho1_400.gif

Kevyt

Yeah, I was playing a match with Dva on Oasis and this was on the arcade thing so no competitive, but I was lucky to have been paired with a really good Ana who would literally heal me all the time.

One of our members left as we had 50℅ or so control of the point, but we still held on to 100℅. It was so satisfying flying around as Dva and getting on people's faces with a good Ana healing me on the back line.

I had somewhere around 30 something eliminations with 5 deaths (we tied on one round as the enemy got the point) and 16k damage as Dva.

I was gonna try and pick up Dva but it seems her nerf will make her out of the upcoming meta.

But yes, currently Ana + Dva is quite OP...

Blues1990

It's like one of the reasons I don't like getting attached to character builds in this because of how heavy handed these nerfs could get. I think they had it right with reworking Dva's kit but to then go around and nerf her a few months later?

why sway?
When it comes to Reinhardt, Lucio, Ana, & D.Va, I wondered if they thought them through.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
When it comes to Reinhardt, Lucio, Ana, & D.Va, I wondered if they thought them through.

Probably

You have to remember, this is a class based shooter. If you look at its TF2 origins, Soldiers are pretty much required at all levels same with medics. If you look at MOBA origins, there's a reason certain heroes maintain high pickrates throughout the entirety of the game. There's a reason Pudge is popular.

The only overlap that I really see that I don't think they thought through well is 76 and McCree. McCree specifically.

exYle

I've been learning Sombra and doing pretty well with her lately so it's funny to come in here and see some people just can't grasp her easily.
My favorite thing to do is hack Roadhog and watch him panic and die. Also hacking Mei and watching her realize too late that she can't hide and heal.

I've become pretty good at countering Lucio ultimates and deconstructing tank groups of Roadhog, Dva, Rein. Not to mention hacking Ana so she can't heal.

She's def the most fun I've had with a character. Especially fun hacking Roadhog and McCree out of their ultimates.

I feel ya. I'm gonna keep practicing until I'm confident enough to take her into competitive.

They shouldn't release PTR D.Va imo. That will be a mistake.

Agreed

I'm reflecting on what went so wrong and I decided the only game we won I was Mercy so I should play more Mercy.
Did you try Torb tho

I remember the game I played with you guys the other day where we tried torb/sym on Eichenwalde defense and got stomped in the first half and then you tried going torb for round 2 defense and we all laughed. And then it turned out the Torb actually would have helped us against the Pharah, oops.

When you first said "if only I went torb" I laughed because I figured you were joking, but then it hit me that if you did go torb we might have actually won/drew

Blues1990

They shouldn't release PTR D.Va imo. That will be a mistake.

Thankfully, it seems that they are looking to experiment with both D.Va and Roadhog at the moment. I'll find the developer posts on the B.Net forums, as it was interesting to see that they are testing out 300/300 D.Va and Roadhog having some adjustments with Hook 2.0.

Probably

You have to remember, this is a class based shooter. If you look at its TF2 origins, Soldiers are pretty much required at all levels same with medics. If you look at MOBA origins, there's a reason certain heroes maintain high pickrates throughout the entirety of the game. There's a reason Pudge is popular.

The only overlap that I really see that I don't think they thought through well is 76 and McCree. McCree specifically.

True, but I wished one of the other Tank Heroes could fill Reinhardt's shoes and otherwise be a fine alternative. Apparently, Winston's bubble shield worked great for choke points during the Beta. And Soldier: 76 was supposed to be the well-rounded character as a solid introductory Hero for those who are new to Overwatch (but are otherwise familiar with playing FPS's). Supposedly, he was much more balanced during the games launch.

McCree, however, I can agree with. McCree was designed in mind to effectively kill mobile heroes & be an anti-flanker, and he's kind of okay-ish at his job? I think Blizz need to actually decide what to do with him and when they do, they should really revamp his abilities to actually get the aimed theme they are going for.

Serpico99

Hey I got this not long ago and looking for players. Level 14. I tried to read up as much guides, but welcome anyone to play with and show me the ropes. PS4: xNINETYxNINEX

Owzers

Did you try Torb tho

I remember the game I played with you guys the other day where we tried torb/sym on Eichenwalde defense and got stomped in the first half and then you tried going torb for round 2 defense and we all laughed. And then it turned out the Torb actually would have helped us against the Pharah, oops.

When you first said "if only I went torb" I laughed because I figured you were joking, but then it hit me that if you did go torb we might have actually won/drew
I'm starting to think I'm not even a good Torb...but it's worth another try.

I'm starting to think I'm not even a good Torb...but it's worth another try.
Maybe me and you should just do a Mercy Zen every single game. And let the team be built around us. Not the best support duo, but roles we are both very comfortable with. And it's way easier to keep three tanks alive with a Mercy than with a Lucio, and good Ana's are rare on PS4.

It also leaves people open to go Pharah and takes away any 'who's gonna take that support slot that no one wants' tension.

I mean hell, nothing else has worked, so we might as well try.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'm looking forward to the return of zen if anything.

Maybe they can finally balance the ana/zen dynamic.

As long as mercy is still the worst healer I'll be happy.

exYle

Thankfully, it seems that they are looking to experiment with both D.Va and Roadhog at the moment. I'll find the developer posts on the B.Net forums, as it was interesting to see that they are testing out 300/300 D.Va and Roadhog having some adjustments with Hook 2.0.

Ugh, I don't know why they're insistent on making D.Va a 600 HP character. Just revert her to her old 400/100 health and be done with it.

I'm looking forward to the return of zen if anything.

Maybe they can finally balance the ana/zen dynamic.

As long as mercy is still the worst healer I'll be happy.
Do dive mechanics signal the return of Zen? Doesn't sitting behind tanks suit him better than having Tracer, Genji, Reaper in his face?

I'm a bit worried about that, but moreso worried about Sombra becoming meta because she's someone who could completely take Zen out of the game.

I have sooooo much fun with Symmetra. I try to be a complete bitch and poke everyone with my turrets, sneak into enemy territory and create a teleporter etc pp. I love it when I die and someone gets killed by my turrets a second later.

But BOY do I hate it when people just won't use the teleporter. I mean WHY?

Btw I disabled killcam and are people kidding me? Some seem to struggle with the controls or/and don't even move.

Anne

Ugh, I don't know why they're insistent on making D.Va a 600 HP character. Just revert her to her old 400/100 health and be done with it.

I remember doing the math on this awhile ago. At 300/300 something like Soldier will take nearly the same amount of shots to kill her as at 400/100. She's a bit tankier, but it's actually not as much as you think it is. The 600 health is a nice spot for her to protect from things that deal in high burst damage rather than sustained.

Idk if that's fine? It makes her much better against something like McCree or Reaper still, but she deals with sustained damage more or less the same as at 400/100.

Do dive mechanics signal the return of Zen? Doesn't sitting behind tanks suit him better than having Tracer, Genji, Reaper in his face?

Harmony lets him heal from a lot of range and space without committing, so divers use that. Discord means divers can kill priority targets faster. He also adds Aux damage to make the dive faster too. If the enemy team is running a dive mirror than it comes down to which Zenyatta can fight better or which team can complete the dive faster.

Antiwhippy

I'm a bit worried about that, but moreso worried about Sombra becoming meta because she's someone who could completely take Zen out of the game.

Harmony has incredible synergy with genji and tracer. It does not have that great of a synergy with tanks because 30HPS is peanuts comapred to the health ana can dump into them, while 30HPS is a really good sustain for squishies like tracer and genji.

Also discord means you can nearly guarantee an assassination.

Harmony has incredible synergy with genji and tracer. It does not have that great of a synergy with tanks because 30HPS is peanuts comapred to the health ana can dump into them, while 30HPS is a really good sustain for squishies like tracer and genji.

Also discord means you can nearly guarantee an assassination.
Yea there was definitely a time that tracer Genji and Zen were all good picks so I must just be forgetting how those games were played.

Hopefully he stays viable because I've been having a blast with Zen lately.

Anne

If Winston does jump + melee and Genji lands swift strike on a discorded target it's 169~ instant damage followed up by 78 DPS tesla cannon and Genji having access to 111 on M2 and his own melee damage lmao. If both characters land their full combo even Zarya gets instantly murdered.

To put things into perspective, this strat with Tracer added on is actually dealing enough DPS to kill tanks in under 2 seconds easily, and Ana's healing could completely negate that.

Antiwhippy

Hopefully it doesn't become the dominant comp because as much as I love zen, the zen meta was its own special kind of mess in a way.

Anne

Hopefully it doesn't become the dominant comp because as much as I love zen, the zen meta was its own special kind of mess in a way.

Tbf back then discord meant people were getting burst for 200+ instantly by McCree alone, Lucio had 110% speedboost, Zarya dealt more damage, Soldier + D.Va just didn't exist, etc.

Edit: The conspiracy theorist part of my brain is saying that this was even worse in beta, and Ana was released first to address the lack of healers and need to deal with burst damage.

1.5 and 2.5 on the PS3 have been out for quite some time.
What's a PS3?

Tbf back then discord meant people were getting burst for 200+ instantly by McCree alone, Lucio had 110% speedboost, Zarya dealt more damage, Soldier + D.Va just didn't exist, etc.

Edit: The conspiracy theorist part of my brain is saying that this was even worse in beta, and Ana was released first to address the lack of healers and need to deal with burst damage.
That meta was more hectic and crazy.

Also more fun.

Anne

That meta was more hectic and crazy.

Also more fun.

I agree. I really hope strats like that make a comeback, and that there are more viable ways to deal with it.

Back then the major issue was the ult stuff making games turn into snowball blowouts, and there weren't any "real" viable counters known until 3/3 developed at the end of the cycle.

I agree. I really hope strats like that make a comeback, and that there are more viable ways to deal with it.

Back then the major issue was the ult stuff making games turn into snowball blowouts, and there weren't any "real" viable counters known until 3/3 developed at the end of the cycle.

It was only snowbally if an already good (coordinated) team was capitlizing.

Otherwise, quick ult build up felt like such a 2nd chance for uncoordinated teams. It feels much more snowbally now, from the modes I've been in.

That said, I haven't played comp at all. And fucking need to. Gotta place still before the end of this thing. Life and holidays got in the way but maybe this week if PS4 crew is around/down.

Anne

It was only snowbally if an already good (coordinated) team was capitlizing.

Otherwise, quick ult build up felt like such a 2nd chance for uncoordinated teams. It feels much more snowbally now, from the modes I've been in.

The problem was any team past mid level could just make it so there was no second chance. The match would straight up be over after the first fight because the losing team would not be able to set up a good ult fight or the match actually just ended on certain maps.

These days one team can have momentum, but they need to be careful with their ult advantage, and teams lacking ult have a way better chance to win a fight off picks or to pull out ults.

The problem was any team past mid level could just make it so there was no second chance. The match would straight up be over after the first fight because the losing team would not be able to set up a good ult fight or the match actually just ended on certain maps.

These days one team can have momentum, but they need to be careful with their ult advantage, and teams lacking ult have a way better chance to win a fight off picks or to pull out ults.

In the 2800 to 3200 shuffle, there was still that chance for a slop, no-mic-on-console team to be able to do something when the ball started rolling.

The ult advantage was very, very real in the pro tournaments where moderate coordination could let an alright team on the press beat a better team that was down.

I just think the trickle down hurts the game. The one time I believe in trickle down anything.

Owzers

Maybe me and you should just do a Mercy Zen every single game. And let the team be built around us. Not the best support duo, but roles we are both very comfortable with. And it's way easier to keep three tanks alive with a Mercy than with a Lucio, and good Ana's are rare on PS4.

It also leaves people open to go Pharah and takes away any 'who's gonna take that support slot that no one wants' tension.

I mean hell, nothing else has worked, so we might as well try.

I definitely want to try it more, at least in situational things like koth and eichenwald point a attack where I see how many ways I can die as Rein trying to do something past the choke.

Top Bottom