• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

I'm level 30 on PC and so far my best characters are:

Soldier 76
Zarya
Mei
Ana

This is too be expected as I used them a lot on console as well. I want to get a good mcree but my tracking and headshot ability aren't the best. Gonna work on Tracer, Lucio, and Rein before I touch Competitive so I have a nice hefty character pool. Rein just feels awkward on a KBM compared to controller in my opinion.

psyfi

Banned
I really need to get better with another tank. The only one I'm decent with is Rein. I'd love to get good at Zarya, but it definitely doesn't come natural to me.

Rapid Discord:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE9cV40cZfg

Apparently the achievement popping doesn't appear when you record it on the Ps4.

So here:
nsvXH7s.jpg

ZangBa

I got the rapid discord trophy a few days ago but I have no idea how. All I did was spam that button on an exploding D'va mech until she came out and died. Pretty sure I cheated somehow.

Man, the enemy team's oblivious inability to kill you on multiple different occasions when you should've died cost them the game. Good shit.

Like you can hear me say on the mic the second I hear Rein Ult that it's over. But then I don't die and realized I had to do something to not lose. Then Roadhog whiffs the Melee hook and I still had Biotic field down, then Pharah didn't shoot me nor did Zarya, and then Hog let me set up a second Biotic field AND reload before trying anything.

Wew. The fact that there were people at my same SR with diamond icons made me so mad. It's like this clown fiesta is going on and I'm somehow not good enough for diamond yet they are. I had to stop for the night.

Rapid Discord:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE9cV40cZfg

Apparently the achievement popping doesn't appear when you record it on the Ps4.

So here:

Yoo, I'll never get that one lmao. That's dope.

Owzers

Just when I thought overwatch was turning the corner we get a leaver right before we go up 2-0 in koth. You win this one overwatch.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
If the team is grouped and silly, yes.
If spread out? No.
Placing turrets on the doorway of the attacking team will more often than not give her full ult charge right at the start and that's not even taking into account the more clever Syms who will litter them across the map.
NuSym is the most annoying character in the game, for real.
The range on her gun in tandem with the damage just makes her melt way too easily.

I finally found something Sombra can do well: assassinate defenseless shield generators.

And I also discovered that hacking turrets, either with her ult or alt-fire, is next to impossible unless they're firing on an ally (that will inevitably kill them anyways). Kind of makes you wonder what's even the point of hacking them; like, it lasts a while, but can never, ever be done solo.

The hacking buff might make things a bit more interesting, but I still feel like her damage is too awful to really let her ambush people that aren't already getting killed by someone else. (Or super low HP, but hanging back waiting for that sort of thing is bananas.)

finalflame

Like you can hear me say on the mic the second I hear Rein Ult that it's over. But then I don't die and realized I had to do something to not lose. Then Roadhog whiffs the Melee hook and I still had Biotic field down, then Pharah didn't shoot me nor did Zarya, and then Hog let me set up a second Biotic field AND reload before trying anything.

Wew. The fact that there were people at my same SR with diamond icons made me so mad. It's like this clown fiesta is going on and I'm somehow not good enough for diamond yet they are. I had to stop for the night.

Hah, yah, that was some good shit. Honestly, I feel like at all SRs you see people fail in coordinating like those guys did. All it would've taken is one person on comms on their team to call out "focus soldier" and that might've done it, but nope! They let you reign supreme. And a beautiful sight it was.

Shows you how fickle games can be in OW, and how much call-outs matter for winning.

Cappa

Banned
Maybe me and you should just do a Mercy Zen every single game. And let the team be built around us. Not the best support duo, but roles we are both very comfortable with. And it's way easier to keep three tanks alive with a Mercy than with a Lucio, and good Ana's are rare on PS4.

It also leaves people open to go Pharah and takes away any 'who's gonna take that support slot that no one wants' tension.

I mean hell, nothing else has worked, so we might as well try.

I also think keeping group to 3-4 players helps... because usually our 5th and 6ths we dont have much playing time with so there really isnt much chemistry.

We seem to do better with 3-4 stacks, then we do when we are 5-6.

Everytime I play Sombra I just get more confused. Like theres so many little things about her that suck that I just keep noticing more of them. Goofing around on Oasis with friends and I really want her to work because I like her kit but fuck you would be more useful playing anyone else. What is she...supposed to be good at?

Her gun is useless as a DPS because its spread turns into total shit .10 seconds into you firing, so good luck hitting any squishies when they start to jump around. Even if you do get lucky and manage to hit something, it doesn't do that much damage anyway, even on tanks who are big enough to cover your horrible spread. Apparently one of the lead designers said she was supposed to be good against Pharah which is hilarious, you'd have better luck shooting her down with Reaper.

Oh also you can't shoot her down because the hack range is a joke. Her hack can not only be interrupted by a stern look, it can be interrupted if you scroll over another enemy or medkit or an enemy moves slightly into cover, or sometimes it will just stop for reasons I can't fully comprehend. Symettra's gun will lock onto someone like an STD facehugger and never let go, but if Reinhard moves slightly to the left your hacking stops completely and you just die. On PC, anyone will hear the first sounds of the hack and just turn around and breathe on you and you roll over dead. Hacking doesn't make it so people can't shoot you dead, which they probably can because you are Sombra and have a pellet gun. And even though you are a flanker (supposedly) you don't get a damage buff on hacked enemies or anything. Oh yeah and it has a 12 second cooldown. It can't stop buff ults like Zenyatta, 76 or Ana and I'm pretty sure it doesn't remove Harmony orb, stop Wraith Form or anything else.

When she goes invisible, not only does she have a 1 second lag time before she can start moving fast, but also a 1 second lag time coming out of it where you can't do anything? You can't hack while stealthed but you can throw your translocator for some reason. If you get tickled you come out of invis.

Her translocator is weird. At times I feel like I'm being killed mid teleport, and it takes a long as time to travel. Its also loud as fuck and annoying, I can tell how much time is left on it without an increasingly screeching beep. Nitpick? Yeah probably but its another thing about Sombra that sucks ass

Her ult is fine, but it requires immediate follow up from the team because Sombra couldn't shoot her way out of a paper bag by herself.

Am I being too hard on her? I don't think so considering she's a worse version of a character thats a niche pick to begin with (Tracer.) This clip is the authentic Sombra experience for me.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I finally found something Sombra can do well: assassinate defenseless shield generators.

And I also discovered that hacking turrets, either with her ult or alt-fire, is next to impossible unless they're firing on an ally (that will inevitably kill them anyways). Kind of makes you wonder what's even the point of hacking them; like, it lasts a while, but can never, ever be done solo.

The hacking buff might make things a bit more interesting, but I still feel like her damage is too awful to really let her ambush people that aren't already getting killed by someone else. (Or super low HP, but hanging back waiting for that sort of thing is bananas.)

Nah, her damage is kinda scary good when used by people with really good tracking skill. She should be able to gank a zen or mercy in one clip. Lucio and ana are a bit harder but that applies for all flankers.

Also kinda really good agaisnt tanks.

Blizzard

Banned
Nah, her damage is kinda scary good when used by people with really good tracking skill. She should be able to gank a zen or mercy in one clip. Lucio and ana are a bit harder but that applies for all flankers.

How does tracking skill help given the bullet spread is so big? Are they using some sort of exploit to reduce the spread, or just being incredibly point blank? If I recall correctly, it takes a long time for the spread to recover, too.

Everytime I play Sombra I just get more confused. Like theres so many little things about her that suck that I just keep noticing more of them. Goofing around on Oasis with friends and I really want her to work because I like her kit but fuck you would be more useful playing anyone else. What is she...supposed to be good at?

Her gun is useless as a DPS because its spread turns into total shit .10 seconds into you firing, so good luck hitting any squishies when they start to jump around. Even if you do get lucky and manage to hit something, it doesn't do that much damage anyway, even on tanks who are big enough to cover your horrible spread. Apparently one of the lead designers said she was supposed to be good against Pharah which is hilarious, you'd have better luck shooting her down with Reaper.

Oh also you can't shoot her down because the hack range is a joke. Her hack can not only be interrupted by a stern look, it can be interrupted if you scroll over another enemy or medkit or an enemy moves slightly into cover, or sometimes it will just stop for reasons I can't fully comprehend. Symettra's gun will lock onto someone like an STD facehugger and never let go, but if Reinhard moves slightly to the left your hacking stops completely and you just die. On PC, anyone will hear the first sounds of the hack and just turn around and breathe on you and you roll over dead. Hacking doesn't make it so people can't shoot you dead, which they probably can because you are Sombra and have a pellet gun. And even though you are a flanker (supposedly) you don't get a damage buff on hacked enemies or anything. Oh yeah and it has a 12 second cooldown. It can't stop buff ults like Zenyatta, 76 or Ana and I'm pretty sure it doesn't remove Harmony orb, stop Wraith Form or anything else.

When she goes invisible, not only does she have a 1 second lag time before she can start moving fast, but also a 1 second lag time coming out of it where you can't do anything? You can't hack while stealthed but you can throw your translocator for some reason. If you get tickled you come out of invis.

Her translocator is weird. At times I feel like I'm being killed mid teleport, and it takes a long as time to travel. Its also loud as fuck and annoying, I can tell how much time is left on it without an increasingly screeching beep. Nitpick? Yeah probably but its another thing about Sombra that sucks ass

Her ult is fine, but it requires immediate follow up from the team because Sombra couldn't shoot her way out of a paper bag by herself.

Am I being too hard on her? I don't think so considering she's a worse version of a character thats a niche pick to begin with (Tracer.) This clip is the authentic Sombra experience for me.
One of the bizarre things to me is...does her ult affect Symmetra turrets? When I was experimenting it seemed like it would disable Torbjorn turrets, but bizarre leave all Symmetra turrets functional so a nest would still murder you and your team.

I also think keeping group to 3-4 players helps... because usually our 5th and 6ths we dont have much playing time with so there really isnt much chemistry.

Yeah next time we hit 6 we should really just split into two groups of 3 and we'd probably have much more success

But if you've got that kind of accuracy, Tracer or Genji are better picks. Or heck, go sniper and dominate.

I'm going to keep trying her (because omg her hacking potg intro is the best) but it really does feel like she's only holding her team back. Sombra is currently lacking something to make her shine.

Butane123

Sombra just seems like everything either is just a bit too weak or too inconvenient to want to pick her over other heroes.

Want pure DPS - Soldier
Want an annoying as all hell close attacker - Tracer
Want to deny the other team healing and help yours - Ana

I enjoy playing her, but man she just needs some help. More consistent hacking and invis coupled with an increase in range on her gun and decrease in bullet spread would go a long way to helping her.

How does tracking skill help given the bullet spread is so big? Are they using some sort of exploit to reduce the spread, or just being incredibly point blank? If I recall correctly, it takes a long time for the spread to recover, too.

One of the bizarre things to me is...does her ult affect Symmetra turrets? When I was experimenting it seemed like it would disable Torbjorn turrets, but bizarre leave all Symmetra turrets functional so a nest would still murder you and your team.

It doesn't, but in PTR I think it does

Antiwhippy

Because if you're good at tracking you can mitigate the spread by maximising the shots you land on a person's hitbox?

Like I don't think it's as crazy bad as people seem to think it is. Like if you can do some work as tracer you should be able to do some work as sombra.

But if you've got that kind of accuracy, Tracer or Genji are better picks. Or heck, go sniper and dominate.

I'm going to keep trying her (because omg her hacking potg intro is the best) but it really does feel like she's only holding her team back. Sombra is currently lacking something to make her shine.

Genji is a whole different kind of aiming style. Not really as applicable.

Kaelan

Agreed. While I enjoy playing her she really needs to be buffed. At least maybe her clip size needs to be increased, or the DPS spread needs to be reduced. The more annoying thing is her ultimate seems so short also.

I wouldn't mind a discord like effect attached to successfully hacked targets, maybe even one which applies only to Sombra's bullets would be good because the risk/reward on attempting a hack feels a little off balance right now.

Blizzard

Banned
It's probably good she's awful, though. If she were good, the invisibility combined with control-disabling CC would be a nightmare of frustration, and she'd join the Tracer/Genji crowd of being super irritating.

chur

Got placed into 2900
Rose to 3200
Dropped to 2700
And now I'm at 3195

I think I'm going to be stuck in this range and I'm cool with that.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I saw Master level play of Sombra on twitch, taught me a lot on how to play her. I still feel like her gun is major trash.

Antiwhippy

Sombra meta is the end of Zen.

So you better make her more fun than Zen.

I don't get this really. Like, yeah, her ult wipes his shields, but a) it's an ult and b) it kimd of fucks up everyone too.

If anything they work fairly well together. His kit is always good for flanker type characters and emp makes everyone vulnerable to discord.

I don't get this really. Like, yeah, her ult wipes his shields, but a) it's an ult and b) it kimd of fucks up everyone too.

If anything they work fairly well together. His kit is always good for flanker type characters and emp makes everyone vulnerable to discord.
I usually defer to you and Anne with this type of stuff, because you guys always know better than I do, so hopefully you're right.

But EMP doesn't just hurt him, it completely fucks him to a hilarious degree. And the positioning Zen takes in fights, and his inability to escape makes him such a bad matchup with an invisible, infiltrating Sombra.

Mendrox

Because if you're good at tracking you can mitigate the spread by maximising the shots you land on a person's hitbox?

Like I don't think it's as crazy bad as people seem to think it is. Like if you can do some work as tracer you should be able to do some work as sombra.

Genji is a whole different kind of aiming style. Not really as applicable.

I tried for more than 10 hours with Sombra now and I gotta be honest... she seriously needs something more than a faster hack. I also watched many pro videos and how people play with her, but even there she wasn't somebody that couldn't be better be exchanged with another hero. I love how fast she builds ultimate, but without a group it's utter useless (and even then Sombra is as good as dead after initating it).

I was playing competitive on kings row and the enemy team made it an ass hair away from brining the payload to the end when we switched sides the enemy Reinhardt denied my self destruct twice well with 17 seconds left we only needing 0.39m left he charged our Reinhardt allowing me to nuke their team and get the final push.

A good way to end my night

Antiwhippy

Oh anne definitely knows more than me. I just like to play theorycraft.

I mean divers in general kind of fucks him up, but back in the dive meta he was essential to it so it kinda goes both ways.

Also I'm just saying that while emp fucks zen up pretty badly, if it lands correctly it usually results in a team wipe anyway so it kinda doesn't matter? Which is why why you see teams take up a diffuse positioning when they know she has ult up.

Alot of things can be OP in theory because we always make the perfect scenarios in our heads but its alot different in game when theres more variables.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Tbf the only characters that can escape or avoid getting caught are dva and Mei.

Reaper can't even wraith out of it lmao.
Sounds like it needs a buff. Mei and DVa shouldn't get passes, Reaper shouldn't be able to wraith to protect himself even if immobile.

Just when I thought overwatch was turning the corner we get a leaver right before we go up 2-0 in koth. You win this one overwatch.

Perfect way to end the day comp wise. Played a few QP games some minutes after and I actually had some fun. This just shows how bad comp has been lately.

I'm gonna steal your Rein

Looking at the past games I have to agree with this. Even though we had so much fun that day when a lot of people climbed to diamond, it just hasn't been the same lately.

Yeah next time we hit 6 we should really just split into two groups of 3 and we'd probably have much more success

This sounds like a good idea.

I can't play with you anyway because of my rank ;_;

finalflame

Sounds like it needs a buff. Mei and DVa shouldn't get passes, Reaper shouldn't be able to wraith to protect himself even if immobile.
Come on now, we don't need to be making annoying CC mechanics even more annoying.
Queuing in > 3 stacks unless you're a 6 stack of close friends who play and practice together regularly and all have comms which you use actively and successfully with complementary roles you're all very comfortable in, is a recipe for disaster. Whenever a group I'm in reaches > 3 I politely dip and go back to solo.

Cappa

Banned
Looking at the past games I have to agree with this. Even though we had so much fun that day when a lot of people climbed to diamond, it just hasn't been the same lately.

Yep, I think the problem also becomes that with a 5-6 stack, people get stuck playing with heroes they arent really good with and/or only pick heroes they are comfortable with and that might not be whats best. Ill probably end up doing like flame said he does and if it gets more than 3-4 players Ill probably just back out. :)

Like yesterday in our 5 stack, I think thunder was only really comfortable with tank/Genji and we probably had situations where we needed a S76 and/Pharah combo instead of going 3 tanks/Mei/2 healer situations. Im also a much better Defense/Tank/Support player than a DPS player so the times I was playing S76 I dont think we were getting enough damage done. The last disaster of a game we played I ended up with gold elims playing as Lucio when we switched to attack... so our Genji wasnt getting enough kills and we probably should have switched off him much sooner.

Oh well, at least we are learning what works and what doesnt

Yep, I think the problem also becomes that with a 5-6 stack, people get stuck playing with heroes they arent really good with and/or only pick heroes they are comfortable with and that might not be whats best. Ill probably end up doing like flame said he does and if it gets more than 3-4 players Ill probably just back out. :)

Like yesterday in our 5 stack, I think thunder was only really comfortable with tank/Genji and we probably had situations where we needed a S76 and/Pharah combo instead of going 3 tanks/Mei/2 healer situations. Im also a much better Defense/Tank/Support player than a DPS player so the times I was playing S76 I dont think we were getting enough damage done. The last disaster of a game we played I ended up with gold elims playing as Lucio when we switched to attack... so our Genji wasnt getting enough kills and we probably should have switched off him much sooner.

I think we will be a perfect team when Owzers finally learns how to hide as Mercy :D

But seriously, it ruins my mood when we have a 5-6 stack and we don't play as a team.

Oh well, at least we are learning what works and what doesnt

Right now it seems it's only what doesn't. And we are running out of options lol

Let's just go 3 DPS and start killing people, QP style.

I'll mention it in the Discord chat too but if anyone from EU-GAF wants to play (I'm in 2955ish on a win streak. Diamond is so close I can taste it) I'll be available later on,

BossDarkseid#2901

Betty

Banned
Putting in so many competitive matches only to arrive right back at the same season rank number is a weird feeling.

Putting in so many competitive matches only to arrive right back at the same season rank number is a weird feeling.

That's kind of how I'm feeling right now. I mean I'm 200 SR higher than my last season, but I sometimes see it fall close to that old SR and I just get upset.

I know I'm playing better than I did last season, and it bothers me. But then I have days where I break through into the next 100 SR and somehow stay up there.

I just really really want Diamond.

Top Bottom