• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Azoor

I'm a casual lurker with a boner for Lucio, just look at this hoodie

61SwBqV.jpg

I'll only forgive if it's sarcasm, otherwise we fightin

Dude come on, he is one of the most played heroes in Overwatch, nobody seriously wants him out.

Junkrat on the other hand...

Maybe he's living the dream.

Nope, playing Torb in comp is your dream :p

I think it would be cool as a solo player, if it kept your team together until you lost or someone opted out. I have so many matches where people just flip flop teams every other match and we're just trading wins/losses, heh.

Yeah, that would be nice. Sometimes the option "prefer this player" works I think, at least I kept playing with some guys for 3-4 matches in a row when I check that option.

Majine

Banned
Weird, I got into a game where I was able to pick Mei despite our team already got one. Then the game froze with a view from beneath the world, until I switched.

What a trip.

Greddleok

I'm surprised no one is pointing out Boob-yatta that's behind the gender bent Lucio.

I don't like the gender bending. If they ever release overwatch skins with that sort of thing, I'd prefer to see the already existing characters moved into the other gender's role.

Zarya as Reinhardt and Reinhardt as Zarya. D.Va in a Monkey suit and Winston crammed into a mech.

Mercy as Lucio. Lucio as Mercy.

Soldier 76 as Tracer. Tracer as McCree.

Damn, I wish I could draw. I'd love for this stuff to come to life.

Played a fair bit this weekend and went from 83 to 92. Gotta stop soon cause I wanna hit 100 just before Christmas event.

With the next patch they are changing the exp you need to level up once you hit 100, it'll just be 20k per level (for the reason you just said). Really you should try to level to 100 to get those cheap boxes before they patch it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Didn't really make sense though, because the stats are only from me facing off against mostly gold and plat players with the occasional diamond. If I'm facing off against master level players my stats would presumably be not as good due to tougher competition. Dunno how they calculate it that way.

Whatever though, I'll take it.

AbaFadi

Banned
Didn't really make sense though, because the stats are only from me facing off against mostly gold and plat players with the occasional diamond. If I'm facing off against master level players my stats would presumably be not as good due to tougher competition. Dunno how they calculate it that way.

Whatever though, I'll take it.

I think it just looks at raw stats per life, and if you're in a higher percentile compared to others they place you accordingly. I don't think it factors in parameters like overall skill rank like overbuff does.

Blues1990

It says I'm a Grandmaster level Zarya.

Guess I know who I'm maining next season.
Make sure that you achieve the following in the meantime:

Step 1: Do a lot of push-up's.
Step 2: Do a lot of sit-up's.
Step 3: Drink plenty of juice.
Step 4: Cry like a bitch.
Step 5: Make sure you're heart is pure. Pure. Unadulterated. Badass.

Azoor

Make sure that you achieve the following in the meantime:

Step 1: Do a lot of push-up's.
Step 2: Do a lot of sit-up's.
Step 3: Drink plenty of juice.
Step 4: Cry like a bitch.
Step 5: Make sure you're heart is pure. Pure. Unadulterated. Badass.

Next thing you know he may be able to do this

tumblr_nvqbbcpli61qfr27po1_500.gif

Auctopus

That Oversumo app is interesting but I wonder how they calculate their stats. They're all pretty close to my actual SR, my top characters are Bastion, Hanzo and Zenyatta who are Diamonds.

Edit: Oh wait, I wasn't checking Competitive. I'm GM for Bastion and Master for Zen, Junkrat and Pharah. I mean, I am pretty good with those characters but nothing above Diamond.

With the next patch they are changing the exp you need to level up once you hit 100, it'll just be 20k per level (for the reason you just said). Really you should try to level to 100 to get those cheap boxes before they patch it.

Damn, thanks for the heads up!

Is today lets throw our matches day or something, like damn you make all that progress and then keep getting get hit with a few idiot teammates for it to all go down again.

Redmoon

Oversumo says I'm a Grandmaster rating for 76, Reaper, and D.va (also 3 of my 4 most played hero's in comp) And shows my comp session performance to be Masters.

Wonder how accurate this is, cause I'm not even close to that SR on this account.

FeelsBadMan

fhqwhgads

Alrighty I'm gonna need some help. Every single comp game of Hanamura I'm in ends up in a draw so I'm gonna need some advice/tips how to push the last point. If the team can't do it I might as well learn how.

Harbleu said that in the current PTR Dva and Soldier are insta picks and every other tank is well below her. He said there are three legit healers to play (not really Mercy though), Pharah dead, Sombra fun and should fit in, Rein and Zarya will drop a ton, no Lucio on defense a lot of the time, Reaper isn't as good. Said it's weird having two characters being so much better than everyone, and said it's not like a Rein/Lucio situation who just do two really important things that no one else can, this is just pure "Wow we need one because they are so good".

He does think PTR is way more fun overall though, and isn't bummed that it will go through unchanged, loves the ult nerfs.

I for one don't mind a Dva meta, everyone deserves a moment in the sun.

DevilDog

Alrighty I'm gonna need some help. Every single comp game of Hanamura I'm in ends up in a draw so I'm gonna need some advice/tips how to push the last point. If the team can't do it I might as well learn how.

Do they have a mei on the enemy team that keeps blocking you off?

AbaFadi

Banned
Harbleu said that in the current PTR Dva and Soldier are insta picks and every other tank is well below her. He said there are three legit healers to play (not really Mercy though), Pharah dead, Sombra fun and should fit in, Rein and Zarya will drop a ton, no Lucio on defense a lot of the time, Reaper isn't as good. Said it's weird having two characters being so much better than everyone, and said it's not like a Rein/Lucio situation who just do two really important things that no one else can, this is just pure "Wow we need one because they are so good".

He does think PTR is way more fun overall though, and isn't bummed that it will go through unchanged, loves the ult nerfs.

I'm glad D.Va is getting buffed. I've been having to play more Zarya ever since I got to high masters. Why is Reaper not as good? He didn't get nerfed did he?

TrueBlue

Had a QP match today where we - blue and red tean alike - all fucked around on the control point. Got career best objective kills amomg other things!

AND WE STILL FUCKING LOST.

I'm glad D.Va is getting buffed. I've been having to play more Zarya ever since I got to high masters. Why is Reaper not as good? He didn't get nerfed did he?
I think it's about other characters. Soldier keeps him at range, Dva blocks death blossom, death blossom builds slower, Beyblade isn't really a thing anymore, etc.

Jacqli

I am simply unable to play as Mercy. I do not know how to do it. If I wait for a resurrection of more than one or two people, then I feel like I wasted the ult because it is quick to recharge and, most of the time, the enemy team killed me when there is a better opportunity.

I feel so useless, I love playing as Ana, Lúcio or Zen, but Mercy is getting in my nerves. TBH I only want to play as her because I love her design.

exYle

I for one don't mind a Dva meta, everyone deserves a moment in the sun.

My queen finally getting the respect she deserves

Oversumo ratings are based on stats obtained by you playing against people with similar skill rating. It doesn't mean you should be in Master or Grandmaster, it just means you're performing slightly to much better than people at your current rank. If you were actually in Master or Grandmaster, your ratings might be considerably lower when compared to other Master and Grandmaster players because you might not to be able to perform at the same level against higher skilled players. While the app is nice and informative on some levels it suffers from the same problem as the stat tracking sites and raw numbers don't necessarily inform on whether or not you are making a meaningful impact with those numbers.

For example, according to Overbuff, my Roadhog stats are actually better than the #1 ranked player in Korea, Evermore (Roadhog main) but that's because I'm in the sub 3000 skill bracket. His win percentage is also over 80% on Roadhog while mine is around 50%.

I do like the app though.

Sullichin

Oversumo ratings are based on stats obtained by you playing against people with similar skill rating. It doesn't mean you should be in Master or Grandmaster, it just means you're performing slightly to much better than people at your current rank. If you were actually in Master or Grandmaster, your ratings might be considerably lower when compared to other Master and Grandmaster players because you might not to be able to perform at the same level against higher skilled players. While the app is nice and informative on some levels it suffers from the same problem as the stat tracking sites and raw numbers don't necessarily inform on whether or not you are making a meaningful impact with those numbers.

For example, according to Overbuff, my Roadhog stats are actually better than the #1 ranked player in Korea, Evermore (Roadhog main) but that's because I'm in the sub 3000 skill bracket. His win percentage is also over 80% on Roadhog while mine is around 50%.

According to overbuff i'm in the top 1% for medals with Lucio.
Also have a 100% win rate with Zarya in competitive cause I only played like two games as her :D
I really am incredible.

AbaFadi

Banned

I'm in grandmaster on ps4 and this is what it has for me. Not really sure how it works. These are for the three most played heroes.

My thoughts on the PTR changes so far:

I love the overall reduction in ultimate charge rate (increased ultimate cost). It's subtle but makes a big difference. I think they could increase the cost even more.

Solider is really strong in PTR. I can definitely see him being picked over Mccree in some situations and will be a much more solid pick for players in lower skill brackets. Some people think he might be too strong but I think if they tone him down from where he is now then people will continue to see no reason to use him over Mccree. I think he is in a good spot now.

D.va still needs work as the 100 health increase hasn't changed much regarding survivability. For people that can aim, it's still too easy to destroy the mech by landing headshots at center mass which is a huge target. The increased movement speed while shooting is nice but could be faster. Winston still seems to fit her role better and has more survivability. Maybe D.va retaining her ultimate charge rate will make her more valuable.

Mercy's survivability is much higher now in general and I really like the change. She will still continue to be a liability though. The ultimate charge rate hurts her biggest benefit as a healer and her overall kit just isn't good enough.

I like the Pharah changes but I can see where Pharah mains would absolutely hate this. While the knockback reeducation can make targets easier to track and hit, the most annoying thing about taking down Pharah is the knockback. It makes it very difficult to focus a really good one. I would prefer they add something to increase her mobility or increase her health/add armor to address the survivability issue rather than leave the knockback. As it stands, she will get rekt even harder now by Mccree, Soldier, etc.

Sombra is really fun but her damage feels lacking and I don't like the delay when leaving stealth. I'm not sure if she's worth taking as a primary DPS. Maybe she could fit into a utility role where she is taking the off-tank or secondary support role. Hacking health kits seems much stronger than anticipated.

I think Rein and Zarya will still see high usage. Sombra might hurt both characters and could shake up the entire meta though.

Zarya nerf hurts her damage output as it's harder to gain and maintain high charge now but it's much easier to hit targets with the beam. Her shields and ultimate are still really good. I don't see her really going anywhere but this might increase Mei usage even more in the off-tank role.

Reaper didn't receive any changes and is still good. He will be used less with people taking Sombra and Soldier but he isn't really any less effective (sans the speed nerf from Ana's ult).

I don't like the Ana nerf. Having the lower charge rate doesn't hurt much but removing the speed from Nano boost is kind of lame. I would rather they did something else with it.

Widowmaker is better but still a niche pick.

Torbjorn still seems up in the air. He might become a god on defense. The scrap changes and turret build/repair rate are really good. He might still be easily countered by a coordinated team though. I don't know...

DevilDog

Usually, she's a very common pick of Hanamura. I've tried going Pharah to counter her but it general seems like she's a bad choice for attacking on that map.
If you are about to enter from here:

Hanamura5.jpg

And enemy satan sits on the entrance ledge ready to ice block and separate your team:

Hanamura-High-Ground-Point-B-1-1.jpg

You should use your ice wall to block the entrance ledge and give your team a clear path to upper room, catching any enemies off guard up there.

There was this Roadhog at the beginning of Illos well who tried to hook me down with him. I mean i could tell what he was going to do, he kept positiining himself like that. Managed to hook me but i somehow bounced back lmao i wish i saved that.

I-hate-u

If we talking about characters that we want out, mine is a controversial one. Mercy needs to be gone. This opinion keeps growing on me the more competitive matches I play featuring her. It doesn't help that she is a very hard character to play correctly despite what people may think, and there are many bad Mercy players as opposed to good ones in my experience on PS4.

She is a much inferior support character over Lucio/Ana/Zenyatta as a support character due to her lack of damage, and other utilities the other supports provide. She has to hide when she has her rez, meaning the team losses out on her healing. Oh, and she is usually taken out before she can rez, which will happen with good flankers on the enemy team. So it begs the question why even run her.

I also share Seagull's negative opinion on the rez mechanic itself. It's very lame and salt inducing when it goes of against you, or vice versa when the Mercy dies with her rez on your team. It's also impossible to stop.

Top Bottom