• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Kurumi

Mercy says "My servants never die" with her Witch Mercy skin now. All is right with the world now <3

Bless you Blizzard.

So, um... how do you use the Overwatch voice chat on PS4? Or how do I know that others can actually hear me? Do I have to press a button to activate my headset's microphone or something? I've tried everything, but others can't seem to hear me, even though it says that there are several people in the channel.

Zomba13

I don't know what could be causing this. Deleting settings file in Overwatch folder did nothing.

Weird. So it's not happening to everyone...

Edit: I see that you edited your post. So it's a bug in latest patch i guess. They fucked up something.

Seemingly looks like if you select Ultra as the preset but manually change the advanced options all up tot he highest that sticks.

Halfway done.

waiting.gif

Console warriors, lemme know how Sombra feels.

Get on and test her with us.

Squire

Banned
I understand competitive, but why QP? Cause it's gonna be Sombra 6v6 for the next two months? Whats wrong with that?

People were worried that people that couldn't use her in QP would keep leaving games, so this should counteract that really well.

God, QP is gonna be so much better now.

Edit: I guess she isn't locked??

I-hate-u

People were worried that people that couldn't use her in QP would keep leaving games, so this should counteract that really well.

Not even locked out of competitive either lol.

This seems like a great content patch!

So 1v1 and 3v3 are legit new modes? And there are maps designed around it?

1v1 will humble you if you're not a Jack of All Trades.

3v3 is serious fun, though some characters are clearly too strong in it compared to most others. I didn't find Sombra to be very strong in 3v3 at all compared to a real 6v6 game.

MoonMoon has single-handedly made 1v1 the most obnoxious game mode. Beating people 5 to 1 but having to deal with all the spam chat meme bullshit makes me want to kill myself

Symphonic

This logic doesn't make sense. This'll happen when she's released/unlocked regardless of when that is. Might as well get it out of the way sooner.

The world could always use more lucios&#128170;

This is a prevailing thought in the OW community and I think it's heavily flawed for a couple of reasons.

One, no matter how people try to dress it up, being bullied off of damage into the support role is demeaning. Hard supports in fps are, in my opinion, game design in bad faith. On the surface, having a character designed around utility and therefore having low damage output makes sense from a balance perspective. However, the underlying game design intent behind these characters seems to be that they are low skill ceiling classes you can shuffle the noober kaboobers to while the big boys do all the work. For the early Overwatch twitch scene, the most infamous pairing was the Seagull + Shayde combo where he had a mercy health hose attached to his ass 24/7. Not once that I saw in these Seagull streams did he do a reach around and pocket Shayde while she carried. There's a clear power dynamic here that was honestly kind of uncomfortable to watch. Seagull getting bathed in healing juice and looking like a shiny golden god while Shayde screeched and suffered didn't exactly sell anyone on the "joys" of supporting.

The second problem is that despite these healer type of characters being made with weaker players in mind, deathmatch skills are still important to play them well. Positioning, ability use, and decision making are all skills you have to learn to play any arena shooter well. Harbleu a current overwatch pro was a fan favorite TF2 pro back in the day for his wild style on the "roaming soldier" role. At a later point he transitioned to medic and instantly became one of the best medics if not THE best medic in TF2. The ease in which he did this embarrassed a lot of "medic mains" but the reasons why were obvious. The skills to deathmatch properly gave him the raw mechanics to survive, and being aware what a damage dealer needs to do to win gave him the knowledge to facilitate and support what his carries needed. In other words, the best way to learn how to support is to learn how to carry.

The shit hits the fan where these issues intersect. To be a good support you need good mechanics and decision making you learn from playing fps games in a conventional way, meaning shooting people in the first person in a first person shooter. However, these hard supports are completely unattractive to these kinds of people, because of their limited skill ceiling and impact. One of the reasons why you'll see dps players play Ana and to a certain extent zenyatta, but you won't see them hot to trot to play lucio or mercy. Playing lucio for me is complete torture, but at the same time seeing an idiot play lucio and mismanaging everything is even more torture. Lucio's sound barrier and his speed boost and just his cooldown management in general is too important to leave in the hands of a doofus. At the same time at the end of the day he's literally just an aura that wiggles around and hopes to be carried.

Jellie

Sombra isn't locked out on QP. Dunno where that came from. Had the option but went soldier instead to see if he is OP now.

Oh yeah and it pissed people off. I guess back when the game was young people didn't know you had to focus the turrets. It was so easy to carry teams with him in my experience.

But that didn't last long and Blizz nerfed his (and Symmetra's) turret damage by 30%. I want that shit reverted. People are better now.

Oh wow, yeah that's a pretty big difference.

Console warriors, lemme know how Sombra feels.

Played 1 game so far. She's definitely fun, hacked health packs are godly...they refill in like 2 seconds, it's crazy.

Does anyone know if the weekly rewards are separate from the 1v1 and 3v3 modes?

This is a prevailing thought in the OW community and I think it's heavily flawed for a couple of reasons.

One, no matter how people try to dress it up, being bullied off of damage into the support role is demeaning. Hard supports in fps are, in my opinion, game design in bad faith. On the surface, having a character designed around utility and therefore having low damage output makes sense from a balance perspective. However, the underlying game design intent behind these characters seems to be that they are low skill ceiling classes you can shuffle the noober kaboobers to while the big boys do all the work. For the early Overwatch twitch scene, the most infamous pairing was the Seagull + Shayde combo where he had a mercy health hose attached to his ass 24/7. Not once that I saw in these Seagull streams did he do a reach around and pocket Shayde while she carried. There's a clear power dynamic here that was honestly kind of uncomfortable to watch. Seagull getting bathed in healing juice and looking like a shiny golden god while Shayde screeched and suffered didn't exactly sell anyone on the "joys" of supporting.

The second problem is that despite these healer type of characters being made with weaker players in mind, deathmatch skills are still important to play them well. Positioning, ability use, and decision making are all skills you have to learn to play any arena shooter well. Harbleu a current overwatch pro was a fan favorite TF2 pro back in the day for his wild style on the "roaming soldier" role. At a later point he transitioned to medic and instantly became one of the best medics if not THE best medic in TF2. The ease in which he did this embarrassed a lot of "medic mains" but the reasons why were obvious. The skills to deathmatch properly gave him the raw mechanics to survive, and being aware what a damage dealer needs to do to win gave him the knowledge to facilitate and support what his carries needed. In other words, the best way to learn how to support is to learn how to carry.

The shit hits the fan where these issues intersect. To be a good support you need good mechanics and decision making you learn from playing fps games in a conventional way, meaning shooting people in the first person in a first person shooter. However, these hard supports are completely unattractive to these kinds of people, because of their limited skill ceiling and impact. One of the reasons why you'll see dps players play Ana and to a certain extent zenyatta, but you won't see them hot to trot to play lucio or mercy. Playing lucio for me is complete torture, but at the same time seeing an idiot play lucio and mismanaging everything is even more torture. Lucio's sound barrier and his speed boost and just his cooldown management in general is too important to leave in the hands of a doofus. At the same time at the end of the day he's literally just an aura that wiggles around and hopes to be carried.

It always make me uncomfortable when I hear people say things like "Why isn't the diamond a support right now?"

Typically in a game with Masters and Top500 players.

Like, what about them being a diamond means they should be the healer? Why does one infer the other?

I have no idea what you are talking about here.

The streamer, MoonMoon, played a ton of 1v1 on stream while "trolling" the whole time. Since he's the most popular OW streamer, there are a ton of people in the 1v1 trying to copy him on top of the usual people. Having to see some dumb meme typed into chat after every round regardless of who won isn't really funny. It's the virtual equivalent of the guy trying to show off at a party by screaming and overreacting to everything throughout the entire thing. Just kind of makes me cringe inside.

hesido

Damn. Couldn't they let me pre-load a patch.. It would be installed when the game is started after the planned deadline.

Do it Sony. Make this possible in your OS. This needs to be done in the era of 10GB patches.

Blues1990

I was able to get 6/15 matches today in HOTS for the Genji Skin. I'm going to tackle getting the other games later, as the game is tedious as hell.

So 5 free loot boxes a week, I'll take it.

Played my first 1v1, got a win and a free box.
Dude beat me the first 2 rounds and teabag'd both times.

Then I won 5 in a row...lulz.

mhanna49

Neo Member
This 10 GB update is ridiculous. If I just stopped using my internet completely and let it download it would take about two days for it to download. I'll considering uninstalling. I realize that many have faster internet speeds, though.

Top Bottom